Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,885 members, 7,817,610 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:24 PM

Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. (1691 Views)

No Going Back On Subsidy Removal - FG / Ministerial Appointments: No Going Back On Sep 30- Presidency / Corrupt Leaders Will Flee Nigeria If Buhari Wins –okorocha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by Kobojunkie: 10:22pm On Apr 26, 2010
irohadis:

A very good point was made here earlier: national growth can come from people participating in their countries out of the prospects of personal gains rather than altruism. The fact that there is personal gain for the acting individual does not negate their action's impact on their society or their heroism. If you think it is not not heroic to return - even if one has not been 'successful'- try doing so when in the same situation. You should understand that there is no guarantee for success upon return and that most people in Nigeria want to emigrate even if the gains are marginal. To return takes guts and any one willing to do so should be commended and not criminalised as an opportunist.  

Balderdash!! There is no guarantee for success anywhere on this planet. Arguing that it is then heroic, and courageous to move back to Nigeria for the very same reason you moved out in the first place (Personal gain) is ludicrous.

irohadis:

The prospect of material gain makes the return of the diaspora sustainable. Consequently, it makes their impact at home also sustainable. This is the only way the country can reverse the ongoing brain drain and get the badly needed skills it needs to develop.

huh??
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by haronky7: 10:38pm On Apr 26, 2010
@Frosbel
I get your points and admire your good intention

'Home' means different things to different people, but the baseline is that simply Home can be anywhere in the world, where you feel secured, reassured, regarded and comfortable, not neccessarily your birthplace

I know guys moving back to Naija to hussle for the plum contracts in Abuja and their states

Where are those who moved during OBJ's time? Of course you should know, many agreed then because of better salary with little or no tax, what you could only dream of in the West.

Nigeria is a land of opportunity, no doubt, if you've got the contacts, but it has a long way to go in building enabling environment and infrastructures that will seriously support NIDs. The NIDs who cant afford to wade through the rotteness in the system won't agree with you

For a fact you'll agree many Nigerians can give anything to get out of that country to husstle on a (nearly) level playing field in the West, and if you're not convinced, try leaving your passport at the Airport!

Many nations develop through input from their people in diaspora, chiefly from the amount of investment and money that flows back to their country of origin, like China and India, not because all directly return.

For those of us who like it where we are currently located, any permanent plan to move back to Naija might be after retirement  or a sane political environment grin This does not take away the patriotism, please no offence to your laudable opinion
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by sizzlers(m): 10:42pm On Apr 26, 2010
frosbel:

Nigeria is a developing country and has lots and lots of potential.

Some NIDs abroad who have worked hard academically and gained years of experience, are very well equipped to make a difference for Nigeria in these developing times when there is a great capacity to fill. Their skills are what is needed to put Nigeria on the path of competition with the west.

Obviously some of these professionals have families and responsibilities , so you do not expect them to come back home and work for charity.

The mere courage that many of these people take to come back home despite the revelation of stress, hardship and numerous obstacles is enough sacrifice on its own.

that's why they should be respected.
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by debosky(m): 11:03pm On Apr 26, 2010
Firstly, it is highly unrealistic to expect an individual moving back to cause an improvement to the majority of Nigerians - it is simply beyond the powers of a single individual to do so, except in the most rare of cases where the individual gets into a position of authority or is massively wealthy to cause a dramatic change.

Secondly, there will always be 'ancillary' benefits for the surroundings such as tax benefits to the nation and, in the case the individual creates jobs, employment for others. To expect an individual to cause a national scale impact simply by returning is being unduly grandiose - it happens very rarely in history.

Thirdly, you don't have to move back with a mission to 'help' before your action can be commended. If an individual is skilled and can use those skills in his own land (compared say to a foreigner being placed in that position) he is in some shape or form benefiting the home economy because that income and wealth will be spent in that country and will have some impact.

Lastly, we need to avoid swinging to the extremes as Nigerians - you don't have to be a 'hero' or an 'opportunist', people can simply be doing what they deem best overall, and try to make a difference where they can without that being their sole aim in life. Nigerians abroad do not necessarily 'owe' the country anything to put on a saviour mindset when returning, neither should they view Nigeria as simply a ground to pillage for personal gain.

Within these extremes we must do our best for those closest to us, while trying to cause an impact on the wider society in our country.

frosbel:

The mere courage that many of these people take to come back home despite the revelation of stress, hardship and numerous obstacles is enough sacrifice on its own.

I disagree - sacrifice occurs either way - leaving or returning to Nigeria, and is often voluntary. You do what is best for yourself and take whatever comes along with that - the good or the bad. I don't think an individual leaving the West to go live in Nigeria and drive a jeep with a driver and air conditioning has 'sacrificed' anything as far as Nigeria is concerned.
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by Nobody: 11:16pm On Apr 26, 2010
I disagree - sacrifice occurs either way - leaving or returning to Nigeria, and is often voluntary. You do what is best for yourself and take whatever comes along with that - the good or the bad. I don't think an individual leaving the West to go live in Nigeria and drive a jeep with a driver and air conditioning has 'sacrificed' anything as far as Nigeria is concerned.

Not everyone returns to ride a Jeep and live in a mansion.

For example there are people who just had enough and moved back, some making a loss in the process, but preferring the Nigerian environment to the one they left behind. And over time they worked their way up or managed businesses that flourished.

Like I said, it is not for everyone and should never be.

But for those who want to take the leap, it is possible to make it against all odds in Nigeria.

NIDs can collectively (as opposed to one individual ) make a difference in Nigeria given the right conditions to thrive.

Nigeria needs to build its medical institutions to higher professional standards and  for that they need expert services from the Nigerian medical consultants overseas who have the technical know-how and expertise to make this happen.

Our ICT sector is improving but needs to be revamped to meet up with the challenges of the 21st century. There are an untold number of IT professionals who can make this happen.

And so on and so forth.

Making Nigeria great is not talking about it all day long. Its is about action.
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by Nobody: 11:17pm On Apr 26, 2010
frosbel:

Some NIDs abroad who have worked hard academically and gained years of experience, are very well equipped to make a difference for Nigeria in these developing times when there is a great capacity to fill. Their skills are what is needed to put Nigeria on the path of competition with the west.

Obviously some of these professionals have families and responsibilities , so you do not expect them to come back home and work for charity.
You have some points there. But I have to say that the overwhelming majority of NIDS that move back, do so because of perceived monetary and employment advantages. Sentiment hardly comes into it.
There are I have to say, also some disgruntled elements in the diaspora that would like to move back to Nigeria, but not for any cogent positive reasons.
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by debosky(m): 11:22pm On Apr 26, 2010
frosbel:

Not everyone returns to ride a Jeep and live in a mansion.

For example there are people who just had enough and moved back, some making a loss in the process, but preferring the Nigerian environment to the one they left behind. And over time they worked their way up or managed businesses that flourished.

The same way people leave Nigeria, lose all they have and end up making a living in another way different from the ideas they started with. That is taking a risk to better oneself and not sacrifice for the greater good.

Unless you are talking about selling all you have and giving it to less privileged and calling that sacrifice, then it is equivalent to risking your money on the stock market and losing - that can never be regarded as sacrifice, simply risk.

A sacrifice is being offered a job in the UK as a doctor for £150,000 (for example) but instead returning to Nigeria to work as a doctor in a teaching hospital for much less, but using your expertise to touch lives.

We don't get many of such 'sacrifices', hence the reluctance to brand leaving personal comforts as a sacrifice - that is a choice/risk, not a sacrifice as such, not on behalf of the country anyway.
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by Nobody: 11:32pm On Apr 26, 2010
tensor777:

You have some points there. But I have to say that the overwhelming majority of NIDS that move back, do so because of perceived monetary and employment advantages. Sentiment hardly comes into it.
There are I have to say some disgruntled elements in the diaspora that would like to move back to Nigeria, but not for any cogent positive reasons.

True, but they are contributing skills that are desperately needed to build and improve all sectors of our developing economy.

Surely that has to be a good thing.

Obviously the same applies to the UK were we live.
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by Nobody: 11:36pm On Apr 26, 2010
debosky:

The same way people leave Nigeria, lose all they have and end up making a living in another way different from the ideas they started with. That is taking a risk to better oneself and not sacrifice for the greater good.

Unless you are talking about selling all you have and giving it to less privileged and calling that sacrifice, then it is equivalent to risking your money on the stock market and losing - that can never be regarded as sacrifice, simply risk.

A sacrifice is being offered a job in the UK as a doctor for £150,000 (for example) but instead returning to Nigeria to work as a doctor in a teaching hospital for much less, but using your expertise to touch lives.

We don't get many of such 'sacrifices', hence the reluctance to brand leaving personal comforts as  a sacrifice - that is a choice/risk, not a sacrifice as such, not on behalf of the country anyway.

But do you agree that leaving all you have here to go to Nigeria is in itself a risk take into uncertainty.

For example if you lose your Job in the UK or USA, you can get another one fairly quickly. However if it takes a little longer, you can retrain while getting income support before launching yourself back into the employment market.

But in Nigeria if your business fails or you lose employment, it is far tougher to survive due to the length of time it will take to get another well suited employment.

Uncertainty is a risk and by implication a sacrifice.
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by Nobody: 11:36pm On Apr 26, 2010
I don't think those that move back merely because they have "had enough" should be commended as making a sacrifice. It is a conscious personal choice influenced heavily by the person's state of mind.
He may actually go back and make a success out his life or alternatively still be a misfit in Nigeria.
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by Nobody: 11:45pm On Apr 26, 2010
in my own experience, most people that come to nigeria both oyibos and nids waste no time whatsoever in adopting nigerian values

people who worked for years in it companies abroad under protection of labour laws etal, setup shop in nigeria and become tyrants

people who obey the law come home and become laws unto themselves, especially if they are in positions with police attached.

i personally don't expect that anyone coming to work in naija s coming to make a difference to anything other than his bank account in the final anaylsis.

most expats come in a position of power to start with, and once you're in power, you're part of the system .
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by Kobojunkie: 12:48am On Apr 27, 2010
oyb:
in my own experience, most people that come to nigeria both oyibos and nids waste no time whatsoever in adopting nigerian values
people who worked for years in it companies abroad under protection of labour laws etal, setup shop in nigeria and become tyrants
people who obey the law come home and become laws unto themselves, especially if they are in positions with police attached.
i personally don't expect that anyone coming to work in naija s coming to make a difference to anything other than his bank account in the final anaylsis.
most expats come in a position of power to start with, and once you're in power, you're part of the system .

You are right! I don't have a problem with people moving either way as I believe personal interest is important, no matter which way a person chooses to move( in or out of Nigeria), but before we start to RAISE one group over the other, we ought to at least be able to measure the benefits the one group has offered over the others to do such. I see a market down in Nigeria that I hope to tap someday soon.

It takes guts to move in and out of that Nation, so I don't see the logic is trying to present those who move back, for one reason or another, as courageous heroes of some sort. If we must do that, then we need to put into consideration a lot of factors which we currently do not right now. We need to learn to raise our bar higher when it comes to those we tag heroes, and in this case, we need to at least have a measure of the sort of sacrifice being made, and what effect contributions made by these NIDS moving back, as individuals have had on the community/nation. I don't want to wait till we start organizing CNN style award show to honor all Nigerians, regardless of reason, that move back to Nigeria, before I voice my opinion on this. lol

The @Poster started a thread with the topic "If he can, so should we, NIDS " as if those who move back are somewhat better or more noble than those who choose not to. And that to me is an insult, not just to Nigerians abroad to Nigerians who never left the country, and have had to suffer through it all.
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by Nobody: 12:54am On Apr 27, 2010
The @Poster started a thread with the topic "If he can, so should we, NIDS " as if those who move back are somewhat better or more noble than those who choose not to. And that to me is an insult, not just to Nigerians abroad to Nigerians who never left the country, and have had to suffer through it all.

After misrepresenting my objective for this article, I can only say no further comments.
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by zebra543: 12:57am On Apr 27, 2010
Moving back isnt for the cleaners security guards and traffic wardens, its for those with the initiative needed in Nigeria its not for those with no prospects. There are many foreigners in Nigeria taking advantages that were overlooked by the indigenes. You never see that in foreign countries. Truth is most will rather slave off in a foreign land to show off, rather than contribute to the development of his/her own society. How well are nigerians abroad doing?? Dont most of them slave to make money they will spend home??
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by Kobojunkie: 1:03am On Apr 27, 2010
frosbel:

After misrepresenting my objective for this article, I can only say no further comments.

frosbel:

You created this thread and You made the above comment, I didn't!
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by Nobody: 1:06am On Apr 27, 2010
Kobojunkie:

You created this thread and You made the above comment, I didn't!

Okay and how does that statement translate into an insult to those NIDs who have no desire to go home.

You've lost me to be honest !
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by Kobojunkie: 1:11am On Apr 27, 2010
You may not see it as an insult but I do, and hence the comment I made there. It is an insult to pretend that only those moving back to Nigeria require courage. It is an insult to say that when millions of Nigerians, many of whom will never see life outside of Nigeria, have lived 24/7 in the same Nigeria during all the time these 'COURAGEOUS' bunch have been out of the country.
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by LeMoor(m): 4:37am On Apr 27, 2010
Was just a matter of time before this moved off into the usual tangent, 

@frosbel, kobo said nothing out of the ordinary in this post. You started a thread about an individual who was moving back to Nigeria after his 'confession' of not being able to make it in the US and you tagged it, -If he ca do it, so SHOULD we-  key word here is 'should', you didnt even use the word 'can' (telling others, in essence to follow suit) It is a bit disingenuous of you to now attack valid questions as to his motives (including those who claim, altruism is not a recipe for change, but the serving of self).  The contention here is, beyond the fact that his move is self-serving, it can be argued that if the guy in the video was able to have a successful career in the US, would he have considered moving back to Nigeria? (note, I have note used the word HOME, because I doubt he considered it to be so). I would have assumed that is the obvious.

And before anyone insinuates (or even tags me) the position I take is because I am a bitter CID (Cleaner In Diaspora), who has nothing to offer Nigeriathat is frankly beyond the point here.  And has no bearing on the context that started this thread.

zebra543:

Moving back isnt for the cleaners security guards and traffic wardens, its for those with the initiative needed in Nigeria its not for those with no prospects. There are many foreigners in Nigeria taking advantages that were overlooked by the indigenes. You never see that in foreign countries. Truth is most will rather slave off in a foreign land to show off, rather than contribute to the development of his/her own society. How well are nigerians abroad doing?? Dont most of them slave to make money they will spend home??

I am sure this makes you feel a lot better. If this is what gets you through the night, Kudos,,
It is always interesting to see the word 'slave' being thrown about here. Half of those bandying this word, are the same folks that will will pull in 12-13hrs work days working in the banking sector to meet unrealistic targets,  have been living on the amber for the better part of 1yr not knowing if they would still have their jobs by month end, yet not have the courage to move on, will put up with crazy commutes just to get to work and get back home on a daily basis. The list of things people will put up with to keep a job even in Nigeria is endless.My point isn't to begrudge anyone for doing what they have to do, but is is all contextual and using that word about people 'slaving' in a foreign land to 'show-off' says more about the pack you run with (or are exposed to <pick your choice>wink  and your mindset, than it actually says about the folks you attempt to disparage.

p.s There will always be foreigners who take advantage of things indigences wouldn't anywhere in the world. You have African/Nigerian taking advantage of educational incentives targeted at minorities, which the indigenous minority population wouldn't take advantage of. In every society, there will always be an underclass, the upper-class, and you would be hard pressed to see the foreigners taking advantage of anything before the upper class. And this holds true for any society.
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by Nobody: 8:30am On Apr 27, 2010
@frosbel, kobo said nothing out of the ordinary in this post. You started a thread about an individual who was moving back to Nigeria after his 'confession' of not being able to make it in the US and you tagged it, -If he ca do it, so SHOULD we-  key word here is 'should', you didnt even use the word 'can' (telling others, in essence to follow suit) It is a bit disingenuous of you to now attack valid questions as to his motives (including those who claim, altruism is not a recipe for change, but the serving of self). 

He had a choice of going back to the UK which is where he was born, but he chose to come to Nigeria. And making it in the US was relative since he was aiming for the topest brands rather than looking for something mid-level and then working his way up.

Agreed the title is somewhat misleading, should have been 'if he can, so can we'.

But why some people feel insulted because of this article is beyond me.

The contention here is, beyond the fact that his move is self-serving, it can be argued that if the guy in the video was able to have a successful career in the US, would he have considered moving back to Nigeria? (note, I have note used the word HOME, because I doubt he considered it to be so). I would have assumed that is the obvious

Obviously it is self serving, did you expect that he would go back and work for charity. But the fact is that if his business takes off successfully, he will become an employer of people and fill a gap in the fashion and design market, which surely is a good thing.

All in all, in my personal narrow minded opinion , there is no where like home and for many this has become a motto to relocate back home. Many have been successful and will not dream of ever going back to the west to live.

Nigeria has a greater capacity to fulfil the aspirations and objectives of a multitude of NINs and NIDs than say the US and UK which are becoming saturated in certain areas of expertise. Nigeria on the other hand is a developing economy and so needs an unlimited supply of brains, new technology and investment.
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by labiyemmy(m): 9:17am On Apr 27, 2010
I needed noone to encourage me to move back home in 2006 when I did so, I saw a market, and I tapped into it, as many has done- we didnt see the hardship, we didnt see NEPA, we didnt see bad roads, only fools look at those things before deciding what to do - and ask me, 4 years after that- it has been a very good story, with three offices and many more in the pipeline, I surely needed noone to encourage me or neither did I need to wait till the country is better before going back home.

What do you want to do in America or Europe that noone else have done? Nothing! But bring one unique idea to Nigeria and stay focused on it and see how you will reap the reward of your hardwork.
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by otokx(m): 9:54am On Apr 27, 2010
What is NIDS?
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by Nobody: 10:14am On Apr 27, 2010
otokx:

What is NIDS?

Nigerians in Diaspora, grin
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by LeMoor(m): 12:25pm On Apr 27, 2010
@labiyemmy:

I needed noone to encourage me to move back home in 2006 when I did so, I saw a market, and I tapped into it, as many has done- we didnt see the hardship, we didnt see NEPA, we didnt see bad roads, only fools look at those things before deciding what to do - and ask me, 4 years after that- it has been a very good story, with three offices and many more in the pipeline, I surely needed noone to encourage me or neither did I need to wait till the country is better before going back home.

What do you want to do in America or Europe that noone else have done? Nothing! But bring one unique idea to Nigeria and stay focused on it and see how you will reap the reward of your hardwork.

@labiyemmi,
A massive big-ups to you. Personally, I congratulate you and respect you for the move, Maybe I missed it, who said there was anything wrong with moving back? And what fool saw problems such as bad roads and Nepa (atleast in this thread) and said there move back was predicated on that?

I am also inclined to disagree with your question and subsequent answer, How do you know there is nothing new you could try in the US or the UK?

@frosbel, Definition of Home is relative as is the definition of success (not to be confused with material wealth), I can give a 1000 reasons why someone would choose to make a particular place home instead of another,

p.s I didnt find your original post insultive,
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by Meddler(f): 6:49pm On Apr 27, 2010
A very good point was made here earlier: national growth can come from people participating in their countries out of the prospects of personal gains rather than altruism. The fact that there is personal gain for the acting individual does not negate their action's impact on their society or their heroism. If you think it is not not heroic to return - even if one has not been 'successful'- try doing so when in the same situation. You should understand that there is no guarantee for success upon return and that most people in Nigeria want to emigrate even if the gains are marginal. To return takes guts and any one willing to do so should be commended and not criminalised as an opportunist. 

The prospect of material gain makes the return of the diaspora sustainable. Consequently, it makes their impact at home also sustainable. This is the only way the country can reverse the ongoing brain drain and get the badly needed skills it needs to develop.

Well put. And we understand that ppl move for different reasons but that could be a very hard decision for ppl to make and non one makes it lightly. It takes a bit of planning to make that move.
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by canuck(m): 8:10pm On Apr 27, 2010
@ Topic

Everyone under the sun obeys the Pleasure Principle - We all seek pleasure and avoid pain; except that pain leads to greater pleasure.

I am also planning a move from the #4 city in the world to #136!!! (Ranking according to http://www.eiu.com/site_info.asp?info_name=The_Global_Liveability_Report&rf=0). And I would be lying if I made myself out to be some sort of a hero.

Of course, it is expected that my portable skills and knowledge will contribute to my sphere of influence in Nigeria, but that's purely incidental, even though I am looking forward to contributing my quota.

Even the Son of God endured pain and shame because of "the joy set before Him" after the cross. How much more a mere mortal like me cheesy
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by nguage(m): 10:01pm On Apr 27, 2010
I'm happy for him and I can't wait till that day I'll move back to. I'll kiss the ground in the Lagos airport and never look back again. But LOL @ showing the market place whenever they mention David's moving back to Nigeria, they make it sound like David will be moving to the market place.
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by akinalabi(m): 11:12pm On Apr 27, 2010
@labiyemmy:

GREAT ATTITUDE!

Some people will tell you that you have to save the whole of Nigeria or you've not done anything meaningful.

(1) (2) (Reply)

GCON-Grand Crook Of The Order Of Niger, Nigeria National Dishonour Awards / Do You Want To Denounce Your Nigerian Citizenship? There Is Opportunity. / Us Senate Money Laundering Investigations: Jennifer Atiku Plans To Flee Dubai

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.