Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,170 members, 7,815,082 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:02 AM

Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd - Pets (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd (147501 Views)

Diary Of Boomer The Boerboel / Bella And Sparo The Boerboel / My Boerboel And Neapolitan Mastiff All Grown And Sexy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (50) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by vincentjk(m): 9:54pm On May 13, 2018
OK I'll see about dah

Thanks
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by vincentjk(m): 1:32am On May 14, 2018
Bought one card of antibiotics, i will be giving Murphy one in the morning one at night for it'll help heal his legs faster

1 Like

Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by Rany4all(m): 9:16am On May 14, 2018
vincentjk:
Bought one card of antibiotics, i will be giving Murphy one in the morning one at night for it'll help heal his legs faster
Was that prescribed by your vet or you just decided on your own to administer Ampiclox?
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by vincentjk(m): 9:37am On May 14, 2018
Rany4all:
Was that prescribed by your vet or you just decided on your own to administer Ampiclox?

Nop my vet didn't talk about this, Ampiclox is what i use especially when my dogs have big wounds because as an antibiotics it is it dries wounds faster

Or what do you think/any side effects??
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by Rany4all(m): 10:12am On May 14, 2018
vincentjk:

Nop my vet didn't talk about this, Ampiclox is what i use especially when my dogs have big wounds because as an antibiotics it is it dries wounds faster

Or what do you think/any side effects??
I'm not worried about side effects... just that I suspected you added that on your own and you've confirmed that.

My concern is that your vet is already handling the case so why add another drug on your own. How sure are you that your vet has not already administered necessary antibiotics which, by the way, may just have been same Ampiclox you are now giving again.

I think is always safer to allow the professionals to do what they've been trained to do.

1 Like

Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by vincentjk(m): 10:44am On May 14, 2018
Rany4all:
I'm not worried about side effects... just that I suspected you added that on your own and you've confirmed that.

My concern is that your vet is already handling the case so why add another drug on your own. How sure are you that your vet has not already administered necessary antibiotics which, by the way, may just have been same Ampiclox you are now giving again.

I think is always safer to allow the professionals to do what they've been trained to do.

I'm doing this because the sore still looks kinda watery and painful, the vet administered injectable antibiotics on Saturday evening and told me he'll be checking on him this week so i felt i should do something

Well I'll call to let him know of my plans today

1 Like

Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by Rany4all(m): 11:42am On May 14, 2018
vincentjk:

I'm doing this because the sore still looks kinda watery and painful, the vet administered injectable antibiotics on Saturday evening and told me he'll be checking on him this week so i felt i should do something

Well I'll call to let him know of my plans today
Do you know the names of the injectable antibiotics the vet administered?
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by vincentjk(m): 12:14pm On May 14, 2018
Rany4all:
Do you know the names of the injectable antibiotics the vet administered?

Nop I've no idea
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by Rany4all(m): 1:07pm On May 14, 2018
vincentjk:

Nop I've no idea
Exactly my point, you don't know. So what if he gave Ampiclox injection? Then adding your own might just lead to overdosing.

The thought process that goes into choosing an antibiotic for any purpose is not as simple as 'Ampiclox heals wounds faster.'

The cause of the wound, type of wound, site of wound and also depth of the wound all come into play. The vet is in a better position choose which antibiotic is better.

And contrary to popular belief antibiotics, including ampiclox, do not heal wounds. The body of the animal, or human as the case may be, heals itself provided nothing interferes with the natural process of healing. Wound infection is probably the most common cause of interference of this natural healing process, hence the need to administer antibiotics to prevent infection and allow nature take its course.

For me, the best thing you could do to assist the vet is to make sure the wound always stays clean and dry by keeping him mostly in his cage for now (releasing only to ease himself), cleaning with antiseptic solution like savlon, and applying any topical spray or solution on the wound to help prevent infection. And of course, this should only be done with the approval of your vet.

4 Likes

Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by Rany4all(m): 1:23pm On May 14, 2018
I'm a medical doctor myself and also a dog lover/owner, so I guess I'm kinda also interested in canine diseases and their healthcare in general, and I often read stuff online that probably only vets should be interested in.

Sometimes I feel I can handle it myself when my dogs are sick, maybe because of my medical background, but I don't. I let the professionals do their job and its safer for my dogs.

I only had to give my dog drip by myself on one occasion because it was an emergency, it was late in the night and from my assessment as a medico, I felt the dog would not make it through the night if I did nothing. And first thing the next morning I took him to the vet's.

5 Likes

Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by vincentjk(m): 1:30pm On May 14, 2018
Rany4all:
Exactly my point, you don't know. So what if he gave Ampiclox injection? Then adding your own might just lead to overdosing.

The thought process that goes into choosing an antibiotic for any purpose is not as simple as 'Ampiclox heals wounds faster.'

The cause of the wound, type of wound, site of wound and also depth of the wound all come into play. The vet is in a better position choose which antibiotic is better.

And contrary to popular belief antibiotics, including ampiclox, do not heal wounds. The body of the animal, or human as the case may be, heals itself provided nothing interferes with the natural process of healing. Wound infection is probably the most common cause of interference of this natural healing process, hence the need to administer antibiotics to prevent infection and allow nature take its course.

For me, the best thing you could do to assist the vet is to make sure the wound always stays clean and dry by keeping him mostly in his cage for now (releasing only to ease himself), cleaning with antiseptic solution like savlon, and applying any topical spray or solution on the wound to help prevent infection. And of course, this should only be done with the approval of your vet.

You've given me a great advice already and I'm thankful, we are all here to learn for no one knows it all... I think I'll just stop using it until my vet arrives this evening then we can decide on it

I'm thankful sir

4 Likes

Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by vincentjk(m): 1:33pm On May 14, 2018
Rany4all:
I'm a medical doctor myself and also a dog lover/owner, so I guess I'm kinda also interested in canine diseases and their healthcare in general, and I often read stuff online that probably only vets should be interested in.

Sometimes I feel I can handle it myself when my dogs are sick, maybe because of my medical background, but I don't. I let the professionals do their job and its safer for my dogs.

I only had to give my dog drip by myself on one occasion because it was an emergency, it was late in the night and from my assessment as a medico, I felt the dog would not make it through the night if I did nothing. And first thing the next morning I took him to the vet's.

So one treating their dog without the vet's consent can be this dangerous? I'm surprised
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by Rany4all(m): 1:51pm On May 14, 2018
vincentjk:

You've given me a great advice already and I'm thankful, we are all here to learn for no one knows it all... I think I'll just stop using it until my vet arrives this evening then we can decide on it

I'm thankful sir
That's the best thing to do bros, always work with your vet. My vet once gave one of my rotts a penicillin injection and the dog shortly after developed severe generalized itching and body swelling...the vet was already long gone when this happened...I knew exactly what the problem was and the solution, but I still called the vet to inform him, and he gave me the go ahead to administer the antidote which I had already bought on my own, which worked like magic.

My point is 'always work with your vet.'

7 Likes

Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by Rany4all(m): 2:03pm On May 14, 2018
vincentjk:

So one treating their dog without the vet's consent can be this dangerous? I'm surprised
I have read on social media where some people administer drugs on their dogs and the dogs die. This though mostly occurs with antitick medications. Some will use drugs not even meant for animals or use drugs the wrong way and when their pet dies, they blame it on the medication, claiming its fake and all that...

Any drug can become a poison, it all depends on dosage or method of administration.

1 Like

Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by vincentjk(m): 3:21pm On May 14, 2018
Rany4all:
I have read on social media where some people administer drugs on their dogs and the dogs die. This though mostly occurs with antitick medications. Some will use drugs not even meant for animals or use drugs the wrong way and when their pet dies, they blame it on the medication, claiming its fake and all that...

Any drug can become a poison, it all depends on dosage or method of administration.

Alright boss noted
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by vincentjk(m): 9:15pm On May 15, 2018
Murphy is getting better and we believe in no time he'll be fit again to join his crew.. Gustaf is still alone and has just me to play with since Murphy is caged up embarassed

After having some fun together this afternoon i told him to position well so i could take some shots and he played along immediately.. There's nothing as good as giving your dogs good training smiley

8 Likes

Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by donshaize(m): 9:10am On May 17, 2018
vincentjk:

It's no longer with us
oh!
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by okikiosibodu(m): 1:47pm On May 17, 2018
OP, well done for keeping this thread alive. Regards to your gallant canines
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by vincentjk(m): 8:46pm On May 17, 2018
okikiosibodu:
OP, well done for keeping this thread alive. Regards to your gallant canines

Thanks for your regards sir...

1 Like

Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by vincentjk(m): 10:29am On May 19, 2018
Happy weekend everyone cool

Today I'm glad to announce Murphy's recovery from the painful "paw wound" he has been suffering from for almost 2weeks now. Treating and containing the bacterial wound which i don't even know what to call it wasn't easy at all because Murphy was always caged up so he doesn't hurt the leg more

I had no option than to carry Murphy around whenever he needs me esp to the toilet in order not to hurt his sore paws.....

The picture below was taken yesterday when i came back around 6pm in the evening, he was so excited because he is able to walk and we play around again as we used to so i felt taking some shots won't be a bad idea sha. His mouth got me like shocked shocked shocked

Thanks for your great help Rany4all

6 Likes

Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by Rany4all(m): 10:55am On May 19, 2018
I'm so happy for you and Murphy. It's such a wonderful feeling to see our dogs back to their usual bubbly self after a period of illness.

Keep up the good work!
vincentjk:

Today I'm glad to announce Murphy's recovery from the painful "paw wound" he has been suffering from for almost 2weeks now. Treating and containing the bacterial wound which i don't even know what to call it wasn't easy at all because Murphy was always caged up so he doesn't hurt the leg more

I had no option than to carry Murphy around whenever he needs me esp to the toilet in order not to hurt his sore paws.....

The picture below was taken yesterday when i came back around 6pm in the evening, he was so excited because he is able to walk and we play around again as we used to so i felt taking some shots won't be a bad idea sha. His mouth got me like shocked shocked shocked

Thanks for your great help Rany4all

2 Likes

Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by Nobody: 12:47am On May 20, 2018
vincentjk:

Thanks for your great help Rany/4all

That's wonderful to hear! Continued health and recovery for Murphy.
Gustaf struck two amazing poses in those pics and the boys looked absolutely adorable when they had a "reunion" the other day!
Murphy looked so cute holding his paw (but still greeting his brother).
Dogs are such amazing creatures....
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by vincentjk(m): 8:37pm On May 20, 2018
Mobilia:

That's wonderful to hear! Continued health and recovery for Murphy.
Gustaf struck two amazing poses in those pics and the boys looked absolutely adorable when they had a "reunion" the other day!
Murphy looked so cute holding his paw (but still greeting his brother).
Dogs are such amazing creatures....

Exactly, happiness is what matters
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by prince2pac(m): 3:48am On May 21, 2018
these your dogs the sweet me die.. Murphy is special. .. just look at those smile after a long time not been playing
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by vincentjk(m): 4:51am On May 22, 2018
prince2pac:
these your dogs the sweet me die.. Murphy is special. .. just look at those smile after a long time not been playing

Lol everyone deserves to be happy you know... Thanks all the same bro
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by vincentjk(m): 10:18pm On May 24, 2018
I'm currently away from home so I won't be updating the thread anytime soon

cheers wink
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by Teemothymass(m): 10:48pm On May 24, 2018
vincentjk:
I'm currently away from home so I won't be updating the thread anytime soon

cheers wink
Anytime soon seems for a very long time bro
Will surely miss the thread
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by vincentjk(m): 7:11am On May 28, 2018
Teemothymass:

Anytime soon seems for a very long time bro
Will surely miss the thread

Lol don't worry I'm already back bro
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by vincentjk(m): 7:21am On May 28, 2018
**Happy Children's Day**

I'm back from my one weak trip, I paid a visit to my aunt to spend some time with her dogs too and I'm still amazed at what i saw.

The picture below is Murphy's younger brother ( from the same parents and 11months of age ) he looks physically better than Murphy because he has larger bones and paws to compare to Murphy and a bigger head also

His name is "shadow" this boy plays a lot and i think that's because of lack of good training and he doesn't just understand basic commands shocked

I tried buying him from my aunt to join Murphy and Gustaf but she refused selling him because she needs him over there just like i do

Say hello to shadow

6 Likes

Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by Teemothymass(m): 1:02pm On May 28, 2018
vincentjk:
**Happy Children's Day**

I'm back from my one weak trip, I paid a visit to my aunt to spend some time with her dogs too and I'm still amazed at what i saw.

The picture below is Murphy's younger brother ( from the same parents and 11months of age ) he looks physically better than Murphy because he has larger bones and paws to compare to Murphy and a bigger head also

His name is "shadow" this boy plays a lot and i think that's because of lack of good training and he doesn't just understand basic commands shocked

I tried buying him from my aunt to join Murphy and Gustaf but she refused selling him because she needs him over there just like i do

Say hello to shadow
Probably Murphy's mother mated with another larger boerboel to give birth to shadow
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by Teemothymass(m): 1:03pm On May 28, 2018
And hope you were able to instill some disciple to him during your stay
Re: Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd by Rany4all(m): 1:51pm On May 28, 2018
Just learnt something new today, and felt I should share because of some of my earlier comments on your thread.

If your dog doesn't tolerate cow milk that well, it might still tolerate goat milk because goat milk has a lower quantity of lactose (milk sugar) in it. Hence goat milk is an option for such dogs.

Another alternative, which is even better than goat milk, is yoghurt because yoghurt is produced through a process that breaks down milk sugar into something else that is not that harmful to dogs.

Hence you can actually replace milk with yoghurt and not have that 'purging' but still give your dog the full benefit it would have derived from milk.
Rany4all:
Milk causes 'purging' in SOME, not ALL, dogs because SOME dogs, just like some humans, do not tolerate Lactose (the sugar found in milk) and not because of the protein content of milk. I give all 4 of my dogs (2 rotts & 2 gsds) milk occasionally and its always well tolerated.

Infact I usually dissolve their drugs in milk solution whenever I have to treat them with oral medication because they can hardly reject milk. If a dog is not lactose intolerant then milk is an excellent diet for it.

Just my 2 pence!

Rany4all:
Adult dogs have less of the enzyme lactase which is required for digesting lactose (milk sugar), hence most of the lactose pass along their intestines undigested, drawing water to the intestines through osmosis and causing tummy upset and diarrhoea. The flatulence results from fermentation of the undigested sugar lactose by microbes in the intestines, releasing gasses...

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (50) (Reply)

How To Make Your Dog More Aggressive / Pitbull Or Rottweiler: Which Is More Dangerous?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.