Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,974 members, 7,825,039 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 01:54 AM

Why Underage Registration, Voting May Continue – KOSIEC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Underage Registration, Voting May Continue – KOSIEC (607 Views)

Emmanuel Uduaghan Campaigns With Underage Kids / They Almost Killed Me For Rejecting Underage Registration – Ex-inec Boss / Why Underage Persons Were Registered In The North – INEC's Director, Osaze-Uzzi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Underage Registration, Voting May Continue – KOSIEC by sirequity(m): 4:31am On Mar 01, 2018
THE Kogi State Independent Electoral Commission (KOSIEC) has stated why underage registration and voting may continue across the country unabated.

KOSIEC noted that until enough securities are provided for the commission’s registration officers across the country, nothing could be done to arrest the situation as it is an endemic case that would be difficult to overcome.

Andrew Owonipa, KOSIEC chairman stated this on Wednesday (28/02/2018), when he played host to the state chapter of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) who paid him courtesy visit in Lokoja.

Bishop John Ibenu, the CAN chairman, had called for the sanctity of the electoral process.He said the issue of under aged voting during election would not speak well of the Nigerian democracy.

“In the last two weeks, we have been watching a video of under aged registration and voting. We want you to check mate these things so that they don’t happen again,” the bishop said.

He also raised concern over the non-collection of about 8million Permanent Voters Cards (PVCs) in the state.

Responding, Owonipa explained that under aged registration is a very serious challenge, because of the crowd that gather during registration, with very limited security for the protection of the registration officers.

“There is nothing much that a registration officer could do at that point, because he is not having enough protection. Somebody would tell you that this is my son and I know his age. You can’t argue with such person because you do not know the child’s age.”

He said at times, it is not the size of the person that determines the age, as a 19-year person could look like a 10-year old child placing the registration officer in a dilemma, contrary to what people expect of him.

https://www.headlineng.com/underage-registration-voting-continue-kosiec/
Re: Why Underage Registration, Voting May Continue – KOSIEC by lawalosky(m): 6:05am On Mar 01, 2018
g
Re: Why Underage Registration, Voting May Continue – KOSIEC by okosodo: 6:20am On Mar 01, 2018
A
Re: Why Underage Registration, Voting May Continue – KOSIEC by Optional09: 6:24am On Mar 01, 2018
Opq
Re: Why Underage Registration, Voting May Continue – KOSIEC by MonPro: 7:18am On Mar 01, 2018
Abookis and almajiris enjoy the zoo while it lasts.
Re: Why Underage Registration, Voting May Continue – KOSIEC by three: 9:43am On Mar 01, 2018
They have posited every excuse to ensure that underage voting persists.

No matter that these army of underage voters are denied basic rights to healthcare, education and quality of life.
Re: Why Underage Registration, Voting May Continue – KOSIEC by Omeokachie: 10:28am On Mar 01, 2018
"There is nothing much that a registration officer could do at that point, because he is not having enough protection. Somebody would tell you that this is my son and I know his age. You can’t argue with such person because you do not know the child’s age.”

Just imagine the sort of excuse a supposedly educated man is putting up.

(1) (Reply)

Nothing Will Stop My In-law From Becoming Governor Of Imo State — Okorocha / . / Three PDP, Two APC Govs, 35 Senators Set To Join SDP – Spokesperson

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.