Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,534 members, 7,812,657 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:59 PM

This Is Our Lagos: The Third Mainland Bridge. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / This Is Our Lagos: The Third Mainland Bridge. (5191 Views)

Update On Third Mainland Bridge Repairs (Week 4) / Third Mainland Bridge: Lagos To Roll Out 600 Buses In August – Sanwo-Olu / Fayose Involved In Motor Accident On 3rd Mainland Bridge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Is Our Lagos: The Third Mainland Bridge. by mosaic77: 3:42pm On Mar 02, 2018
The History

The Ibrahim Babangida Bridge has been the longest bridge in Nigeria since 1990.

Yes. Ibrahim Babangida Bridge is the official name of the Third Mainland Bridge in Lagos. It was commissioned by General Ibrahim Babangida in 1990. It might not be as glamorous as the London Bridge or the Golden Gate Bridge in the USA but it is still an engineering masterpiece that conjures emotion among Nigerians, especially Lagosians.

The Third Mainland Bridge is one of the three bridges that connect the Lagos mainland to the Island. It snakes through Lagos State, from Oworonshoki over the lagoon to the Adeniji Adele interchange on the Lagos Island.

Construction work on the bridge was abandoned by previous governments and there were fears among the people that the bridge is another project bound for oblivion.

The American press ran a television programme titled "The Squandering of Riches" in the early 1980s to criticize how African leaders embark on white elephant projects. The Lead Presenter predicted the abandoned bridge would meet the same fate. This challenged Brig. Gen Ibrahim Babangida and his informed his desire to change the narratives.

Shortly after assuming leadership of the government in 1985, General Babangida began major moves to commence work on the Third Mainland Bridge through government and private partnership. The Federal Government, the Lagos State Government led by Raji Rasaki and the private company, PGH formed the partnership.

The bridge was constructed by Julius Berger Nigeria Plc for less than 1 billion Naira.

The Records

The Third Mainland Bridge was the longest bridge in Africa for 6 years but it lost that status to the 6th October Bridge in Cairo in 1996. It is currently the second longest in Africa and arguably the 57th in the whole world. The bridge has about half the length of the 6th October Bridge and it is over 8 times longer than the second busiest bridge in Nigeria, the Niger bridge in Onitsha. It has a length that is longer than that of the two other mainland bridges; Eko and Carter Bridges combined.

The Third Mainland Bridge has 8 lanes and carries only vehicular traffic. Driving through the bridge offers spectacular views of the Lagos lagoon, the University of Lagos waterfront and Makoko the floating slum built on the Lagos lagoon. It takes about 10 – 15 minutes to drive through the bridge.

The Controversies

In 2006, commuters complained about the noticeable vibration of the bridge. This led the government to partially close the bridge for repairs. It was executed by Borini and Prono Co. (Nig) Ltd for 1.05 billion Naira and involves the removal of 8 defective expansion joints. The bridge was re-opened in October 2012 to traffic.

However, 4 months after the re-opening of the bridge, Mr Ashaf, the Senator representing Lagos East lamented that the repair works done on Third Mainland Bridge by the Ministry of Works, were mere window dressing on the expansion joints of which some parts had since become disjointed. This was however denied by the authorities.

But do you know a lot of people believe the name Ibrahim Babangida Bridge couldn’t stick to the bridge because of the June 12th saga?

What do you think?

[url=mosaicmanagementltd.com/insidemosaic/2018/03/02/necom-house-tallest-building-nigeria/]What do you know about the tallest building in Nigeria?[/url]

1 Like

Re: This Is Our Lagos: The Third Mainland Bridge. by kabrud: 3:45pm On Mar 02, 2018
Some people will get heart attack tonight. grin cheesy

9 Likes

Re: This Is Our Lagos: The Third Mainland Bridge. by Paperwhite(m): 4:07pm On Mar 02, 2018
Just rode on that bridge today.It architectural design always struck me in awe. smiley
Re: This Is Our Lagos: The Third Mainland Bridge. by KwoiZabo(m): 4:26pm On Mar 02, 2018
All hanks to the Maradona, We must Honour your letter by sending the Daura President back to his cows come 2019.

3 Likes

Re: This Is Our Lagos: The Third Mainland Bridge. by omololu2020(m): 4:58pm On Mar 02, 2018
The third mainland bridge was started by gowon
Re: This Is Our Lagos: The Third Mainland Bridge. by chuksjuve(m): 4:59pm On Mar 02, 2018
I hope you people won't turn this to another tribal and ethnic battle ground ...

1 Like

Re: This Is Our Lagos: The Third Mainland Bridge. by Nobody: 5:00pm On Mar 02, 2018
We will have a 4th MAINLAND BRIDGE soon!

Itesiwaju Ipinle Eko lo je wa l’ogun.

God bless YORUBALAND! Amen.

8 Likes

Re: This Is Our Lagos: The Third Mainland Bridge. by SouthEastFacts: 6:23pm On Mar 02, 2018
Lagos is also home to the tallest building in Nigeria. I give it to SW for always making us proud. #ThisIsOurLagos the Pride of the Black Nation.

4 Likes

Re: This Is Our Lagos: The Third Mainland Bridge. by SouthEastFacts: 6:27pm On Mar 02, 2018
Does it mean without the American Reporter, we won't be celebrating this great engineering masterpiece?

1 Like

Re: This Is Our Lagos: The Third Mainland Bridge. by Holywizard: 6:39pm On Mar 02, 2018
Most of the Yoruba houses lack toilets and u want to celebrate a bridge?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is Our Lagos: The Third Mainland Bridge. by Lipscomb(m): 7:07pm On Mar 02, 2018
I keep saying it we never enjoying anything since we returned to democracy most our roads was constructed by military administration.even our schools.

2 Likes

Re: This Is Our Lagos: The Third Mainland Bridge. by ayusco85(m): 7:32pm On Mar 02, 2018
SouthEastFacts:
Does it mean without the American Reporter, we won't be celebrating this great engineering masterpiece?

You are a wise man

1 Like

Re: This Is Our Lagos: The Third Mainland Bridge. by SouthEastFacts: 7:37pm On Mar 02, 2018
Holywizard:
Most of the Yoruba houses lack toilets and u want to celebrate a bridge?
Sorry you are a bittered soul. Celebrate good thing pls.

If you are not happy the third mainland bride is the 57th longest in the world, then you need to be spanked.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is Our Lagos: The Third Mainland Bridge. by SouthEastFacts: 7:38pm On Mar 02, 2018
ayusco85:

You are a wise man
I celebrate good things.

1 Like

Re: This Is Our Lagos: The Third Mainland Bridge. by Okoroawusa: 7:38pm On Mar 02, 2018
chuksjuve:
I hope you people won't turn this to another tribal and ethnic battle ground ...

for where?

Its like telling some ppl not to take their blood tonic for Nairaland

1 Like

Re: This Is Our Lagos: The Third Mainland Bridge. by OneCorner: 7:49pm On Mar 02, 2018
JohnXcel:
We will have a 4th MAINLAND BRIDGE soon!

Itesiwaju Ipinle Eko lo je wa l’ogun.

God bless YORUBALAND! Amen.
developed by we igbos!
without us there's no Lagos

3 Likes

Re: This Is Our Lagos: The Third Mainland Bridge. by Nobody: 7:52pm On Mar 02, 2018
OneCorner:

developed by we igbos!
grin grin grin

Dey deceive yoursef you hear.

Igbo's and DELUSION!

8 Likes

Re: This Is Our Lagos: The Third Mainland Bridge. by 9jaArea: 7:57pm On Mar 02, 2018
Beautiful

2 Likes

Re: This Is Our Lagos: The Third Mainland Bridge. by nkwuocha: 7:59pm On Mar 02, 2018
At least Ive used the bridge more than I can count. Make I celebrate am small.

As for my igbo folks that will batch this thread, you're on your own o

3 Likes

Re: This Is Our Lagos: The Third Mainland Bridge. by chuksjuve(m): 8:00pm On Mar 02, 2018
Okoroawusa:

for where?

Its like telling some ppl not to take their blood tonic for Nairaland

My brother that thing dey weak me...
Rather than learning and getting quality information through debates, all we see are the latest swear words, insults and it just kills the essence of the platform..

Which way Nigeria !

1 Like

Re: This Is Our Lagos: The Third Mainland Bridge. by SouthEastFacts: 8:11pm On Mar 02, 2018
OneCorner:

developed by we igbos!
Stop embarrasing me here. Let celebrate this great achievement. Do you know how many bridges we have in the world, our own third mainland bridge is comfortably on 57th position in the world, 2nd in Africa and 1st in West Africa. #ThisIsOurLagos

5 Likes

Re: This Is Our Lagos: The Third Mainland Bridge. by Ttipsy(f): 8:14pm On Mar 02, 2018
kabrud:
Some people will get heart attack tonight. grin cheesy
yes I know you are referring to the Easterners,

so why should we get a heart attack on just a mere Bridge ?
what a nonsense comment

1 Like

Re: This Is Our Lagos: The Third Mainland Bridge. by kabrud: 8:40pm On Mar 02, 2018
Ttipsy:
yes I know you are referring to the Easterners,

so why should we get a heart attack on just a mere Bridge ?
what a nonsense comment
Do you have it?

1 Like

Re: This Is Our Lagos: The Third Mainland Bridge. by Ttipsy(f): 8:45pm On Mar 02, 2018
kabrud:

Do you have it?
is it the first in the world? (Africa)? am trying to point it out to that daft tribalistic follow above.

time to come when super ones will be constructed in the eastern part, nothing is permanent u get ryt

2 Likes

Re: This Is Our Lagos: The Third Mainland Bridge. by kabrud: 9:07pm On Mar 02, 2018
Ttipsy:
is it the first in the world? (Africa)? am trying to point it out to that daft tribalistic follow above.

time to come when super ones will be constructed in the eastern part, nothing is permanent u get ryt
The question is; do you have it? I did not ask if you will construct one across Atlantic ocean tomorrow. angry

5 Likes

Re: This Is Our Lagos: The Third Mainland Bridge. by Nobody: 10:59pm On Mar 02, 2018
SouthEastFacts:

Sorry you are a bittered soul. Celebrate good thing pls.

If you are not happy the third mainland bride is the 57th longest in the world, then you need to be spanked.
How can he celebrate when they do not have such in thier region. And you expect him nit to be bitter and envy.
Re: This Is Our Lagos: The Third Mainland Bridge. by Nobody: 11:01pm On Mar 02, 2018
Ttipsy:

Which super one, do you have ocean in the east?

1 Like

Re: This Is Our Lagos: The Third Mainland Bridge. by Alariiwo: 11:53pm On Mar 02, 2018
Imagine such masterpiece commisioned by IBB in the 90s' still standing strong.

What did GEJ commision up till 2015? Nothing!

Yet his bastard never do well supporters want us to continue smiling with him while his wife and Diezani pockets Nigeria for themselves. Bastards!

The average corrupt Northerner is far better than the most honest Easterner. #Fact

1 Like

Re: This Is Our Lagos: The Third Mainland Bridge. by Nobody: 11:57pm On Mar 02, 2018
Obdk:

yoruba fools
YOU are the fool here!

1 Like

Re: This Is Our Lagos: The Third Mainland Bridge. by Obdk: 11:58pm On Mar 02, 2018
chuksjuve:

My brother that thing dey weak me...
Rather than learning and getting quality information through debates, all we see are the latest swear words, insults and it just kills the essence of the platform..

Which way Nigeria !

the guy u quoted is a big player in nairaland tribalism game

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ogun Rep Aspirant Backs IBB's Call For Youth Participation In Politics / Adams Oshiomhole In Relaxation Mood After Dealing 4 APC Governors.see Pics / Abba Kyari With People At IG Of Police Son's Wedding Last Saturday (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.