Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,743 members, 7,817,054 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:18 AM

Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? (31329 Views)

Why Do Narcissist Get Angry When You Decide To Resign From Their Company / Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me / Can A Soldier Resign From The Force? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by Mecoy(m): 9:55pm On Mar 07, 2018
PatrickOkunima:

I don't think there's anywhere it's stated in the TACOS that one cannot leave within 10 years. One can retire voluntarily at any stage of his/her career, but will not be entitled to pension and gratuity if he/she serves less than 10 years. That's the provision of the current TACOS.

Non-commissioned Soldiers can resign anytime..... Commissioned officers can have their resignation rejected.

3 Likes

Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by Yankee101: 9:55pm On Mar 07, 2018
Can be rejected if you're trying to avoid posting to a conflict zone

2 Likes

Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by calddon(m): 9:56pm On Mar 07, 2018
possible without entitlement
Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by Boyooosa(m): 9:58pm On Mar 07, 2018
oyetunder:
lipsrsealed make I no lie...I dont know
Being honest as a Nigerian is double standard,change your way bro

6 Likes

Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by BABANGBALI: 10:01pm On Mar 07, 2018
Lukgaf:
lalasticlala what is your say?
how do you expect a hunter to answer this kind of question?
Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by boolet: 10:03pm On Mar 07, 2018
abiodunalasa:
Get a copy of the HTACOS of the Nigerian Armed Forces.
You CAN'T
leave the Military be it Army, Navy or Air Force within the first 10 years of your recruitment.

Get your facts right. Know what you are going into! cool
No sir, I discharged in 2013 having spent 8yrs, 176 days. Although I have no pension but I have my discharge certificate.

3 Likes

Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by boolet: 10:04pm On Mar 07, 2018
Mecoy:

Non-commissioned Soldiers can resign anytime..... Commissioned officers can have their resignation rejected.
non-commissioned officers undecided

1 Like

Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by opaco3(m): 10:05pm On Mar 07, 2018
ItalianProf:

On the contrary,they can.My dad joined the Army in the early 90's and resigned 2007.After more than 10 years of service.
The reason why most soldiers hardly resign is because if they haven't served for atleast ten years in the army,any resignation won't require a retirement pension salary to be paid to that soldier.

This has been amended bro. Now you can't resign any more. If at all you must resign, then it will be for reasons beyond their control (like medical reasons not even Gunshot oh.). The present insurgency has made retirement uneasy for the military men. My Dad just attained his Ph.d degree even an OTHER soldier (joined as a recruit) and ever since then he has been applying for retirement but no way for him,. In short as I'm typing now, he is presently in the Northeast fighting against this bill harem as a Phd holder. A degree that even the generals don't have

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by omololu2020(m): 10:07pm On Mar 07, 2018
boolet:
No sir, I discharged in 2013 having spent 8yrs, 176 days. Although I have no pension but I have my discharge certificate.
you for just rugged spend 10 years now,so you go fit dey collect pension.

But well e go get personal reason sha.

1 Like

Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by Dammylois(f): 10:09pm On Mar 07, 2018
When it's time to go to Sambisa Yes
Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by bewla(m): 10:10pm On Mar 07, 2018
ItalianProf:

On the contrary,they can.My dad joined the Army in the early 90's and resigned 2007.After more than 10 years of service.
The reason why most soldiers hardly resign is because if they haven't served for atleast ten years in the army,any resignation won't require a retirement pension salary to be paid to that soldier.
i sense boko boy may be the reason of ur baba
Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by boolet: 10:10pm On Mar 07, 2018
omololu2020:
you for just rugged spend 10 years now,so you go fit dey collect pension.

But well e go get personal reason sha.
I no regret am oo. Dem wan drive me crazy.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by boolet: 10:11pm On Mar 07, 2018
opaco3:

This has been amended bro. Now you can't resign any more. If at all you must resign, then it will be for reasons beyond their control (like medical reasons not even Gunshot oh.). The present insurgency has made retirement uneasy for the military men. My Dad just attained his Ph.d degree even an OTHER soldier (joined as a recruit) and ever since then he has been applying for retirement but no way for him,. In short as I'm typing now, he is presently in the Northeast fighting against this bill harem as a Phd holder. A degree that even the generals don't have
I guess they are just giving your dad a hard time, nobody should stop you...
Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by Biodun556(m): 10:12pm On Mar 07, 2018
ItalianProf:

Absolutely
Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by MissRaine69(f): 10:12pm On Mar 07, 2018
No you cannot resign from the army/military. You can request to be discharged but there has to be a reason for seeking that discharge as it’s not automatic it will be granted.

1 Like

Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by Witnes: 10:16pm On Mar 07, 2018
Its allow to resign any time any day, but What keep most pple at 10yrs above is d benefits. If u resigned below that, u will definitely have no benefits. U suffer 4 nothing.

1 Like

Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by lonelydora: 10:17pm On Mar 07, 2018
Lukgaf:
I think it is high time I ask this question from Nairalanders; Every profession has Disengagement process. Please is disengagement granted for Soldiers too?

Is it not you that bought form? You must fight to finish. See, just abscond and that's it.
Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by VolvoS60(m): 10:20pm On Mar 07, 2018
voicelez:
The shame of being called a bloody civilian or coward makes it hard for most of them to resign but you can actually resign if you want to, my dad is a major in the army

^^^^
undecided

Shame?
Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by omololu2020(m): 10:22pm On Mar 07, 2018
boolet:

I no regret am oo. Dem wan drive me crazy.
Lol, I understand you bro,I once lived with a friend when he was a lieutenant, 174 battalion, I know how things dey go for barracks.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by Greene66: 10:28pm On Mar 07, 2018
Lol.

Weak men running away from war.
Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by Mulatta(m): 10:29pm On Mar 07, 2018
You can my bro did after 1years but no pension because you haven't served 10 years. The only way you can get pension is if you were injured in battle "serious injury not I stepped on nail am not doing again injury".

1 Like

Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by tunary(m): 10:34pm On Mar 07, 2018
The governor of ekiti state ayo fayose was once in the military but he resigned so it is very much possible

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by Evestar200(f): 10:34pm On Mar 07, 2018
yes.
a friend of mine just resigned last month after 5 years in service.

1 Like

Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by sammy6(m): 10:35pm On Mar 07, 2018
People should stop saying what they dont know. In Nigeria, it is usually a very difficult and a tedious process for soldiers to resign.

5 Likes

Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by Frankicent(m): 10:43pm On Mar 07, 2018
ItalianProf:

Retired with which rank?

1 Like

Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by Greene66: 10:44pm On Mar 07, 2018
Evestar200:
yes.

a friend of mine just resigned last month after 5 years in service.

Dismissal is different from resignation. Your friend was most likely dismissed or "asked to resign" (polite dismissal)

Desertion is a punishable offence. Why is there desertion if we can just resign? Why desert?

Resignation is possible indeed but must be approved by the Defence HQ under strict review. Most resignations before 12 years are usually rejected now. The Armed Forces have changed over the years. It isn't the Army of back then.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by Greene66: 10:47pm On Mar 07, 2018
Mulatta:
You can my bro did after 1years but no pension because you haven't served 10 years. The only way you can get pension is if you were injured in battle "serious injury not I stepped on nail am not doing again injury".

Hope your bro wasn't dismissed?

You cannot resign after 1 year of service sir. In fact, your first year of service you are still considered in training and either a 2nd Lieutenant or a Private. Both ranks cannot "resign".

3 Likes

Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by Evestar200(f): 10:50pm On Mar 07, 2018
Greene66:

Dismissal is different from resignation. Your friend was most likely dismissed or "asked to resign" (polite dismissal)

Desertion is a punishable offence. Why is there desertion if we can just resign? Why desert?

Resignation is possible indeed but must be approved by the Defence HQ under strict review. Most resignations before 12 years are usually rejected now. The Armed Forces have changed over the years. It isn't the Army of back then.

He wasn't dismissed, he resigned because everyone was on his neck, and he was posted to where he doesn't want to go.
Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by iamtardey: 10:55pm On Mar 07, 2018
uncle B resigned abeg... the thing no pay baba abi Liberia war dat time no be joke lol, baba resign sharp sharp.
i go just dey look the uncle dey laugh inside and say inside 'No be by mouth to be soldier' grin

1 Like

Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by linearity: 10:57pm On Mar 07, 2018
opaco3:

Am curious, what is his rank after obtaining his Ph.d? I see that you mentioned ‘Other Soldier’....that is not a known military term, unless you meant ‘Other Rank’.

It is a total waste of Human Resources to be sending a Ph.d holder to the battle front as an infantryman.

1 Like

Re: Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? by KDULAR: 10:58pm On Mar 07, 2018
Every military personnel have his/ her run out date. After which you can apply for discharge. Application may be rejected though on service exigencies, owing the military( after being released for any kind of training, depending on the duration of tge course tgere is a minimum time you must remain in service on course compltion)
Theres a pending diciplinary issue.
One may be discharged dishonorably, due to serious medical physical and psychological incapacitation or having provable political religous ambition( not serious reason though) or traditional call

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read / Physically Challenged Man Is A Street Sweeper In Akwa Ibom (Photos) / Meet Stella Adele, A Female 2:1 Graduate Who Drives Keke In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.