Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,896 members, 7,828,160 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:53 AM

The Parasitic North Of Nigeria - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Parasitic North Of Nigeria (4044 Views)

Is The SOUTH EAST Just As Parasitic As The North??? / RESPONSE TO: The Parasitic North of Nigeria. / Part 1. The Parasitic Plague That Has Bedeviled Nigeria’s Development. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Parasitic North Of Nigeria by Cooly100: 8:02pm On Mar 15, 2018
ALCOHOLKILLS:
cc Quotesystem grin cheesy

Quotasystem right now...

6 Likes

Re: The Parasitic North Of Nigeria by 0monnak0da: 8:12pm On Mar 15, 2018
horsepower101:

With the current system in place, YES!!! WE WOULD

For those in the so called south that hate Nnamdi Kanu, remember that he predicted that this would happen.

Can we discuss this rationally without bringing Nnamdi Kanu into it.

Explain to me how with the current system workers in Lagos would pay tax to pay salaries in Kano

Always we must shun the tendency to excessive emotionality and be rational
Re: The Parasitic North Of Nigeria by horsepower101: 8:20pm On Mar 15, 2018
0monnak0da:

Can we discuss this rationally without bringing Nnamdi Kanu into it.

Explain to me how with the current system workers in Lagos would pay tax to pay salaries in Kano

With the current system where oil revenue is going down every year and that affects the states monthly allocation and federal budget..

In turn, the federal government will increase taxes on goods and services (and potentially income too) in order to make up the deficits.

Businesses will also increase the prices of their goods and services to prevent losses. Majority of those taxes will come from the so called southern states because that's where Nigerian economy truly lies especially lagos.

Then federal government will use those tax money to allocate to the north.

Being that the north has more population on paper, they will get most of the tax money.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Parasitic North Of Nigeria by 0monnak0da: 8:23pm On Mar 15, 2018
horsepower101:

With the current system where oil revenue is going down every year and that affects the states monthly allocation and federal budget..

In turn, the federal government will increase taxes on goods and services (and potentially income too) in order to make up the deficits.

Businesses will also increase the prices of their goods and services to prevent losses. Majority of those taxes will come from the so called southern states because that's where Nigerian economy truly lies especially lagos.

Then federal government will use those tax money to allocate to the north.

Being that the north has more population on paper, they will get most of the tax money.

Income tax does not accrue to the FG. I was talking about income tax. There are already taxes on goods and services. There is a limiit to which they can be increased.
at any rate most of the Goods produced in Nigeria are food which are produced in the North

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Parasitic North Of Nigeria by ofai: 8:23pm On Mar 15, 2018
ibotic:

Sharrapppp there.....Kanu was a thug who deserved the treatment he got and worse.....the ewu had no respect for no one......Ojukwu is different because in my opinion, he was pushed by the savages in the north caused by the other ignorant misguided murdering thug called Nzeogwu. Ojukwu’s Downfall was his arrogance.

See this one's mouth like sharrap. Fake Igbo.

KANU was and remains Nigeria's nemesis. None of your forebears are half as brave and charismatic as he was.

Ojukwu remain an evergreen of Igbo greats.... You are much more arrogant than he is.

8 Likes

Re: The Parasitic North Of Nigeria by omohayek: 8:26pm On Mar 15, 2018
0monnak0da:
Just imagine there is no oil
Would we tax the people of Lagos to pay salaries in Kano?
But that's exactly what happened from 1914 right up until 1970! In fact, it's still happening right now: not a single kobo of the revenue raised from Lagos ports, or from taxes on profits on Lagos-domiciled companies, stays with the Lagos state government, as it all goes into the "federal allocation" pot that is shared out to the mostly useless 35 other states.

The desire to use southern revenues to subsidize northern administration is the reason why Lugard amalgamated the two into a united "Nigeria" in the first place. The north has never been self-sufficient, and, thanks to decades of federal allocations, it has never been further from self-sufficiency today than in the entire history of the prison-house called "Nigeria".

Let's call a spade a spade, "Nigeria" is a scheme by which poor, unproductive, relatively uneducated northerners get to give all the orders while the better-educated, more productive southerners get to foot all the bills. Take oil out of the equation and this would still be a completely correct description of reality.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Parasitic North Of Nigeria by omohayek: 8:30pm On Mar 15, 2018
0monnak0da:

at any rate most of the Goods produced in Nigeria are food which are produced in the North
This is simply false. Most of the value in Nigeria's industries and services is produced in the south, and most of that in the south-west, which alone is responsible for 2/3 of all of Nigeria's non-oil GDP. Having hordes of uneducated subsistence farmers doesn't produce great wealth for anyone, otherwise northern Nigeria would be wealthier than places like Singapore and Hong Kong.

Look across the world at productivity within countries and you'll see the same pattern, even in the USA: the densely-populated, highly-urbanized places are where most of the domestic value is created, not in the parts with lots of farmland even when the farms are the high-productivity American kind.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Parasitic North Of Nigeria by Nobody: 8:31pm On Mar 15, 2018
ibotic:
Until the south decides to grab the bull by its horns, we will continue to serve the interest of power grabbing mongers whose only hold on power is through violence.

You mean the lazy youth of the south. Many of whom will rather turn to prostitution, than learn a trade or join cultist and fraudsters.
Some raise as much as 500K to go to libya. Then turn around and tell you Nigeria is hard. I wonder what Nigeria would be if the northerners started to display the oliver twist syndrome plaguing the youths of the se and sw.

How many northerners are on big brother today; they are busy on the farms toiling.

From Benue up all the way to Kebbi, the peasants are tilling the soil day and night.

Most of oil, at least 90% comes from the south-south. This region is the region that has produced the bulk of the wealth since agriculture was abandoned in the North.

2 Likes

Re: The Parasitic North Of Nigeria by horsepower101: 8:33pm On Mar 15, 2018
0monnak0da:
Income tax does not accrue to the FG. I was talking about income tax. There are already taxes on goods and services. There is a limiit to which they can be increased.

1) Nigerians pay the lowest tax possibly in the world. If not for oil money, Nigerian government would have been bankrupt.

2) Taxes are definitely going up in the future both federal and state once oil allocation/revenue dwindles.

3) Those taxes on goods and services that are being taxes today are low and will go up. In fact, more things are going to be taxed.

4) The states and cities that generates major economic activity will generate more taxes for the federal government.

As for the bolded, it is a myth. I will give you another chance to think it through.

7 Likes

Re: The Parasitic North Of Nigeria by 0monnak0da: 8:33pm On Mar 15, 2018
omohayek:

This is simply false. Most of the value in Nigeria's industries and services is produced in the south, and most of that in the south-west, which alone is responsible for 2/3 of all of Nigeria's non-oil GDP. Having hordes of uneducated subsistence farmers doesn't produce great wealth for anyone, otherwise northern Nigeria would be wealthier than places like Singapore and Hong Kong.

Look across the world at productivity within countries and you'll see the same pattern, even in the USA: the densely-populated, highly-urbanized places are where most of the domestic value is created, not in the parts with lots of farmland even when the farms are the high-productivity American kind.

Well Our National statistics agency indicates agriculture is the core of our GDP . Yes currentl uch of the VAT does not come from there but are we conflating value addition with GDP?
Re: The Parasitic North Of Nigeria by horsepower101: 8:35pm On Mar 15, 2018
omohayek:

thank you for that detailed explanation. I was about to respond before I saw your response.

1 Like

Re: The Parasitic North Of Nigeria by 0monnak0da: 8:40pm On Mar 15, 2018
horsepower101:

1) Nigerians pay the lowest tax possibly in the world. If not for oil money, Nigerian government would have been bankrupt.

2) Taxes are definitely going up in the future both federal and state once oil allocation/revenue dwindles.

3) Those taxes on goods and services that are being taxes today are low and will go up. In fact, more things are going to be taxed.

4) The states and cities that generates major economic activity will generate more taxes for the federal government.

As for the bolded, it is a myth. I will give you another chance to think it through.

You make a lot of sweeping assertions with no data

What is the currrent rate of VAT in Nigeria and how does it compare with Egypt Kenya or South Africa
Wha is the current rate of Company tax and again how does it compare internatinally to make it one of the lowest as you claim
If State Taxes go up how does that amount to a wealth transfer from South to North

There ay be such a transfer if company taxes go up but again by what factoor. I was hoing to get quantitative information not just conviction driven assertions. My intention is to be fair to the north in this discussion.

Kano and Kaduna generate significant economic activity?No? What about Benue and Plateau?
Re: The Parasitic North Of Nigeria by horsepower101: 8:41pm On Mar 15, 2018
0monnak0da:

Well Our National statistics agency indicates agriculture is the core of our GDP . Yes currentl uch of the VAT does not come from there but are we conflating value addition with GDP?

Majority of LOCAL food produce consumed in Nigeria is PRODUCED LOCALLY. Go to any market, in any place in Nigeria except for Lagos, you will see that most of the local food items is produced locally

Have you ever asked yourself this question; How can the north be feeding Nigeria with food but yet starving?

10 Likes

Re: The Parasitic North Of Nigeria by 0monnak0da: 8:42pm On Mar 15, 2018
omohayek:

What is the source of thiss 2/3 figure let us be objective here. Do you disagree with our official statistics which places agriculture as a hgher proportion of GDP than oil indeed as the highest proportion I believe?
Re: The Parasitic North Of Nigeria by horsepower101: 8:44pm On Mar 15, 2018
0monnak0da:

You make a lot of sweeping assertions with no data

What is the currrent rate of VAT in Nigeria and how does it compare with Egypt Kenya or South Africa
Wha is the current rate of Company tax and again how does it compare internatinally to make it one of the lowest as you claim
If State Taxes go up how does that amount to a wealth transfer from South to North

There ay be such a transfer if company taxes go up but again by what factoor. I was hoing to get quantitative information not just conviction driven assertions. My intention is to be fair to the north in this discussion.

Kano and Kaduna generate significant economic activity?No? What about Benue and Plateau?

Adeosun: Nigeria’s Tax to GDP Ratio among Lowest in the World

"The Minister of Finance, Mrs. Kemi Adeosun, has lamented that with a tax to Gross Domestic Product (GDP) ratio of six per cent, the country is rated one of the lowest in the world."

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2017/04/23/adeosun-nigerias-tax-to-gdp-ratio-among-lowest-in-the-world/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Parasitic North Of Nigeria by 0monnak0da: 8:48pm On Mar 15, 2018
horsepower101:

Majority of LOCAL food produce consumed in Nigeria is PRODUCED LOCALLY. Go to any market, in any place in Nigeria except for Lagos, you will see that most of the local food items is produced locally

Have you ever asked yourself this question; How can the north be feeding Nigeria with food but yet starving?
Evidence?
To the best of my knowledge most of the Tomatoes peppers onions, yam and corn are from the North . Ask any one operating a feed mill for animal feed where they get their inputs from.
Yes Cassava and vegetables like Ugu are more in the south but most state capitals have markets where trucks bring in food daily from the North? No?

People are starving in Nigeria yet we export yarm,cashews and cassava even rice so that proves nothing

1 Like

Re: The Parasitic North Of Nigeria by Nobody: 8:50pm On Mar 15, 2018
horsepower101:

"The Minister of Finance, Mrs. Kemi Adeosun, has lamented that with a tax to Gross Domestic Product (GDP) ratio of six per cent, the country is rated one of the lowest in the world."

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2017/04/23/adeosun-nigerias-tax-to-gdp-ratio-among-lowest-in-the-world/

The slowpoke attacking you does not know the fastest way to wealth is not paying tax. If all these musicians and actors paid taxes, atleast 20% of the noise on the internet would subside and the masses would be the better for it because when you pay taxes you can question the government as you feel like a shareholder.

Take Lagos for instance, it is doing pretty well be the inhabitants want more transparency and there is a 90% chance they are going to get it. They pay tax as such have the government by the jugular.

2 Likes

Re: The Parasitic North Of Nigeria by horsepower101: 8:52pm On Mar 15, 2018
0monnak0da:

Evidence?
To the best of my knowledge most of the Tomatoes peppers onions, yam and corn are from the North . Ask any one operating a feed mill for animal feed where they get their inputs from.
Yes Cassava and vegetables like Ugu are more in the south but most state capitals have markets where trucks bring in food daily from the North? No?

People are starving in Nigeria yet we export yarm,cashews and cassava even rice so that proves nothing

Do you know that YAM in the east for example is a staple. In fact we have new yam festival celebrations both in the south east and south south. This was the tradition before the British came and even before we know that the north existed...lol

Last I checked, tomatoes, onions and pepper is not food. they are just ingredients. If I gave you tomatoes, onions and pepper only to eat, will you survive?

Edit; All the corn I have eaten my whole life is from the east. We have roasted corn and ube..very delicious. We don't get it from the north.

5 Likes

Re: The Parasitic North Of Nigeria by 0monnak0da: 8:55pm On Mar 15, 2018
horsepower101:

I think you are confusing yourself and conflating issues
Tax to GDP ratio s a crude measure if you do nott study the configuration of the GDP

If two countries with a population of 100 and 10000 respectively both have a GDP of 1million the individual productivity per capita is not the same and the capacity to pay tax is not the same.
A high population of low income cannot pay as much as a low poulatio of high earners with more disposable income

The other issue is the efficiency of production.
One country may have a lot of mechanization and technology and the other does not and so the greater productivity may exist at the firm level rather than individual level.

In the UK e,g You do not begin to pay tax until your income crosses a certain threshold This is well over $20000 .If such a regime operated in a low productivity country No one would fall in the tax net. Does this mean they pay less tax?

So I think you do not understand the nuances of the statistic you are citing.

he issue is this; in Nigeria for those wwho pay tax what is the rate? not tax to GDP ratio which is totally irrelevant to the point being made

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Parasitic North Of Nigeria by 0monnak0da: 8:58pm On Mar 15, 2018
horsepower101:

Do you know that YAM in the east for example is a staple. In fact we have new yam festival celebrations both in the south east and south south. This was the tradition before the British came and even before we know that the north existed...lol

Last I checked, tomatoes, onions and pepper is not food. they are just ingredients. If I gave you tomatoes, onions and pepper only to eat, will you survive?

Edit; All the corn I have eaten my whole life is from the east. We have roasted corn and ube..very delicious. We don't get it from the north.

Ingredients
Re: The Parasitic North Of Nigeria by horsepower101: 9:04pm On Mar 15, 2018
0monnak0da:

I think you are confusing yourself and conflating issues
Tax to GDP ratio s a crude measure if you do nott study the configuration of the GDP

If two countries with a population of 100 and 10000 respectively both have a GDP of 1million the individual productivity per caita is not the same and the capacity to pay tax is not te same

The other issue is the efficiency of production.
One country may have a lot of mechanization and technology and the other does not and so the greater productivity may exist at the firm level rather than individual level.

In the UK e,g You do not begin to pay tax until your income crosses a certain threshold This is well over $20000 .If such a regime operated in a low productivity country No one would fall in the tax net. Does this mean they pay less tax?

So I think you do not understand the nuances of the statistic you are citing.

he issue is this; in Nigeria for those wwho pay tax what is the rate? not tax to GDP ratio which is totally irrelevant to the point being made

The bottom-line (before we lose track) is that whatever taxes that is generated by the federal government, the majority will go to the north with the current system in place. Simple.

Do you Agree or Disagree?

4 Likes

Re: The Parasitic North Of Nigeria by 0monnak0da: 9:09pm On Mar 15, 2018
horsepower101:

The bottom-line (before we lose track) is that whatever taxes that is generated by the federal government, the majority will go to the north with the current system in place. Simple.

Do you Agree or Disagree?
I am here to be educated not to agree or disagree.
if you say majority by what factor?

That is what I want to hear

Is it 90 10
80 20
70 30

60 40

Let us crunch some figures.

Let us know how bad it is
Re: The Parasitic North Of Nigeria by ihitenansa: 9:25pm On Mar 15, 2018
0monnak0da:

What is the meaning of that? I don;t know anything about your mother and will not comment on her unless you give me cause just like you know nothing about me so confine yousrelf to the topic if you have anything to contribute otherwise get lost
the way u go about insulting ppls mothers on this forum, i think not u have a mother or u dont value her if u do. u must be d type dat beats up n humiliates his own mother in public..

u berra wake up.

1 Like

Re: The Parasitic North Of Nigeria by trillville(m): 9:33pm On Mar 15, 2018
0monnak0da:
Just imagine there is no oil
Would we tax the people of Lagos to pay salaries in Kano?

Please, what percent of the federal government's revenue is gotten from sources other than petroleum?

Even in Lagos, what percent of the start government's budget is funded from internally generated revenue.

2 Likes

Re: The Parasitic North Of Nigeria by Turantula(m): 9:34pm On Mar 15, 2018
trillville:
Topics such as this one helped Buhari get elected. Nigerians need to stop thinking about natural resources and start thinking about increasing productivity.

The average Kano man is a farmer. Farming in Kano is a societal hobby. The issue is that most of this farm produce are not processed into higher yielding goods due to policy failures by the government.

How can any reasonable person call a hard worker a parasite because there is no oil on his land.

This topic is highly foolish. I believe only a southerner can defeat Buhari. Topics such these will only turn the north central and South west against the south east and South south.
Well said. But until we start discussing this topic the status quo will forever remain. Mind you apart from South South, South West contribute most to the Federation very much more than the South East. So nobody should be turning against anybody. The difference is that some people are prepared to work while some insist on 'Monkey work, Baboon whack'
Re: The Parasitic North Of Nigeria by 0monnak0da: 9:39pm On Mar 15, 2018
trillville:

Please, what percent of the federal government's revenue is gotten from sources other than petroleum?

Even in Lagos, what percent of the start government's budget is funded from internally generated revenue.
Tell me please.
I don't know book
Re: The Parasitic North Of Nigeria by omohayek: 9:41pm On Mar 15, 2018
0monnak0da:

What is the source of thiss 2/3 figure let us be objective here. Do you disagree with our official statistics which places agriculture as a hgher proportion of GDP than oil indeed as the highest proportion I believe?
Whether oil as a bigger or smaller proportion of GDP than agriculture is not the right question to be asking, as oil itself is only 12% of Nigeria's GDP, so even if agriculture were as much as 50% bigger, that would still leave 70% of Nigeria's GDP unaccounted for. The uncomfortable, unavoidable fact is that most of Nigeria's GDP comes from the south, whether in the form of oil from the Niger-Delta, or industrial production and services concentrated in the SW.

Northern Nigeria's vast numbers of subsistence farmers may just about manage to (barely) feed themselves when times are good, but per head they produce far less than people in the south, and no massaging of numbers can change this reality. A single educated accountant, engineer or lawyer working in a southern city might contribute as much as 100x what a northern peasant farmer would to the nation's GDP, a disparity that is only partly disguised by the sheer number of indigent, fast-multiplying northerners there are.

Oh, and since you ask for sources, here are a few for you to browse at your leisure:

https://www.pwc.ie/media-centre/assets/publications/2016-nigeria-looking-beyond-oil.pdf
http://documents.worldbank.org/curated/en/349511494584937819/pdf/114996-WP-P163291-PUBLIC-NEUNoFinalfromPublisher.pdf

Look at page 11 of the World Bank paper and you'll see that in 2016 industry and services combined contributed 75.6% of the nation's GDP, while agriculture accounted for only 24.4%. The notion that the north's vast number of subsistence farmers are "feeding" anyone other than themselves and their immediate neighbors is nothing more than a self-consoling myth northerners use to protect their self-esteem.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Parasitic North Of Nigeria by 0monnak0da: 10:03pm On Mar 15, 2018
omohayek:

Whether oil as a bigger or smaller proportion of GDP than agriculture is not the right question to be asking, as oil itself is only 12% of Nigeria's GDP, so even if agriculture were as much as 50% bigger, that would still leave 70% of Nigeria's GDP unaccounted for. The uncomfortable, unavoidable fact is that most of Nigeria's GDP comes from the south, whether in the form of oil from the Niger-Delta, or industrial production and services concentrated in the SW.

Northern Nigeria's vast numbers of subsistence farmers may just about manage to (barely) feed themselves when times are good, but per head they produce far less than people in the south, and no massaging of numbers can change this reality. A single educated accountant, engineer or lawyer working in a southern city might contribute as much as 100x what a northern peasant farmer would to the nation's GDP, a disparity that is only partly disguised by the sheer number of indigent, fast-multiplying northerners there are.

Oh, and since you ask for sources, here are a few for you to browse at your leisure:

https://www.pwc.ie/media-centre/assets/publications/2016-nigeria-looking-beyond-oil.pdf
http://documents.worldbank.org/curated/en/349511494584937819/pdf/114996-WP-P163291-PUBLIC-NEUNoFinalfromPublisher.pdf

Look at page 11 of the World Bank paper and you'll see that in 2016 industry and services combined contributed 75.6% of the nation's GDP, while agriculture accounted for only 24.4%. The notion that the north's vast number of subsistence farmers are "feeding" anyone other than themselves and their immediate neighbors is nothing more than a self-consoling myth northerners use to protect their self-esteem.

Whether oil is a bigger or smaller proportion is definitel a good question to ask in the context of the convesation up to that point .Yes it is not the only question but certainly an important one to me .You may have questions that are important to you but as long as we are having a conversation and not a lecture then I reserve the right to decide whch questions to ask. Cetainly without being in my head you cannot know why I ask what I ask . Oil is indeed at the center of this discussion because that is the sector fro which the government most efficiently extracts rent to finance all three tiers of our governent so if we are to talk of parasitism then it must center on oill,at least up until now.

The issue of GDP is interesting but to what extent does the government extract revenues fro services in comparison to oill?

You claimed that 2/3 of non oil GDP is from SW Nigeria and I asked for a source you have sidestepped the question
I said that most of the non oill Goods produced in Nigeria are food and you said this is false and that is how we arrived there.

If food /agricultural produce do not constitute the largest single component of Goods (I mean goods and NOT services) then what does?
Admittedly of course, that would lead to debates about how much of that is from the Norrth or South that is a different matter
Re: The Parasitic North Of Nigeria by omohayek: 10:11pm On Mar 15, 2018
0monnak0da:

Whether oil is a bigger or smaller proportion is definitel a good question to ask in the context of the convesation up to that point .Yes it is not the only question but certainly an important one to me .You may have questions that are important to you but as long as we are having a conversation and not a lecture then I reserve the right to decide whch questions to ask. Cetainly without being in my head you cannot know why I ask what I ask . Oil is indeed at the center of this discussion because that is the sector fro which the government most efficiently extracts rent to finance all three tiers of our governent so if we are to talk of parasitism then it must center on oil,at least up until now.
I don't know what the point of all the ranting above is, when we're talking about a simple matter of logic. You suggested that agriculture being larger than oil was evidence against my claim that most of Nigeria's GDP is produced in the south, and I explained why it wasn't - because oil is far less important than industry and services. All the rest is just your own thin-skinned nature showing.

The issue of GDP is interesting but to what extent does the government extract revenues fro services in comparison to oill?
You can easily find the relevant numbers yourself by consulting the Nigerian government's website.

You claimed that 2/3 of non oil GDP is from SW Nigeria and I asked for a source you have sidestepped the question
I actually took the time to look up at least a few sources for you, and this is the thanks I get, as if my time were worth nothing. Where are your sources to refute my claims?

I said that most of the non oill Goods produced in Nigeria are food and you said this is false and that is how we arrived there.

If food /agricultural produce do not constitute the largest single component of Goods (I mean goods and NOT services) then what does?
Admittedly of course, that would lead to debates about how much of that is from the Norrth or South that is a different matter
What ridiculous sophistry! What "goods" does Hong Kong produce? What "goods" does the City of London produce? What "goods" does Apple itself produce, as opposed to ordering things from Foxconn and other suppliers? What "goods" does Facebook produce? This is the sort of flim-flam pedantry that robs a person of credibility: you don't get to exclude services from the equation because the stats make the north look (justifiably) terrible. Things don't need to come in fancy boxes on ships to have real value.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Parasitic North Of Nigeria by 0monnak0da: 10:23pm On Mar 15, 2018
omohayek:

I don't know what the point of all the ranting above is, when we're talking about a simple matter of logic. You suggested that agriculture being larger than oil was evidence against my claim that most of Nigeria's GDP is produced in the south, and I explained why it wasn't - because oil is far less important than industry and services. All the rest is just your own thin-skinned nature showing.

You can easily find the relevant numbers yourself by consulting the Nigerian government's website.

I actually took the time to look up at least a few sources for you, and this is the thanks I get, as if my time were worth nothing. Where are your sources to refute my claims?

What ridiculous sophistry! What "goods" does Hong Kong produce? What "goods" does the City of London produce? What "goods" does Apple itself produce, as opposed to ordering things from Foxconn and other suppliers? What "goods" does Facebook produce? This is the sort of flim-flam pedantry that robs a person of credibility: you don't get to exclude services from the equation because the stats make the north look (justifiably) terrible. Things don't need to come in fancy boxes on ships to have real value.

Ranting?

Honestly I thought we were having a good debate,
I also thought I was respectful. We do not have to agree that is the essence of debate so we can learn from each other . I have zero tolerance for language like ranting etc so.Let us close it
To a large extent I might even agrree with you but felt objectivity requires challenge. Later
Re: The Parasitic North Of Nigeria by gidgiddy: 10:27pm On Mar 15, 2018
ibotic:

Sharrapppp there.....Kanu was a thug who deserved the treatment he got and worse.....the ewu had no respect for no one......Ojukwu is different because in my opinion, he was pushed by the savages in the north caused by the other ignorant misguided murdering thug called Nzeogwu. Ojukwu’s Downfall was his arrogance.

Kanu was a thug who deserved what he got? Really?

And the herdsmen are killers who got what? Ranches and cattle colonies?

You Nigerians reason thriugh your anus

Armed Herdsmen men killers destroyed lives and property, they get ranches and cattle colonies

Armed Boko haram destroyed lives and property, they got randsom money in the millions

Armed Niger Delta militant destroyed lives and oil installations, they got money and amnesty

OPC destroyed lives and property, they got amnesty, money and jobs

All these organizations took up arms and killed people.

But as the ignoramus you are, your headache is Kanu who didnt take up arms or kill anyone?

Get sense

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Parasitic North Of Nigeria by omohayek: 10:30pm On Mar 15, 2018
Oh, and just because I'm feeling generous today, let me say that I actually understated the dominance of the SW in Nigeria's non-oil GDP: Lagos alone is responsible for 65% of the entire country's non-oil economy, without even accounting for economic activity in Ogun or Oyo.

http://www.businessdayonline.com/examining-lagos-state-gdp-figures/
https://www.ft.com/content/c2873917-6890-3dd2-9ae8-85119971a325

The available poverty indicators by region support what the IGR numbers already tell us, which is that the SW (and not just Lagos) is by far the most productive part of the country.

http://www.worldbank.org/en/country/nigeria/publication/nigeria-economic-report-improved-economic-outlook-in-2014-and-prospects-for-continued-growth-look-good

As for official Nigerian government stats on GDP by sector, the latest ones are available from

http://nigerianstat.gov.ng/elibrary?queries[search]=GDP

and they show agriculture having fallen to just 21.35% of the economy as of Q1 2017, with industry + services amounting to 78.66%. Oil only amounted to 8.9% of the entire economy.

So, I've done my bit to produce hard evidence to back my claims. Instead of being asked to produce more and more figures as if I were a clerk being paid for his time, I say let's see who can produce any solid evidence - and not mere anecdotes about northern peasant farmers "feeding" the country and so on - contradicting anything I've said about northern vs southern productivity.

11 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Top 10 Richest Senators In Nigeria 2018 And Their Networth►assets►mansions►cars / Northern Nigeria Is Bleeding / 2-yr Old Baby Sues Lagos State For N500m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.