Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,492 members, 7,819,795 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:41 PM

Babangida Will Not Be President - Abiola Family - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Babangida Will Not Be President - Abiola Family (7462 Views)

MKO Abiola International Airport Will Be Ready Next Year- Osun Government / Mubashiru Abiola Is Dead (MKO Abiola's Younger Brother) / …babangida Defends Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Babangida Will Not Be President - Abiola Family by AloyEmeka5: 4:57am On May 03, 2010
Babangida will not be president - Abiola family

CHARLES ABAH and AKINWALE ABORISADE

The criticism trailing the planned presidential ambition of former military dictator, Gen. Ibrahim Babaginda, swelled on Saturday as the family members of the acclaimed winner of the June 12, 1993 presidential election, the late Chief MKO Abiola, roundly condemned the move.

http://odili.net/news/source/2010/may/2/826.html

advertisement

Babaginda, who ruled the country from 1985 to 1993, the family said, was not reliable and thus could not be trusted.

The deputy head of the family and younger brother of the late business mogul, Muritala, made the assertion on behalf of the Abiolas in an exclusive interview with SUNDAY PUNCH.

He also spoke on the debt the Federal Government owed his brother, the deceased's relationship with former President Olusegun Obasanjo, among other issues in the polity.

Babaginda, the former military president, Muritala insisted, was the least of persons that should ever be allowed to rule the country again.

He said, "By God's grace, Babangida will not be president again. He has nothing to offer Nigerians. If he has any advice, he should sell it to the people in government."

Babaginda has declared his intention to contest the 2011 presidential poll on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party, a move that has elicited heated criticisms among many interest groups and public commentators.

The former dictator was the head of the junta that annulled the June 12, 1993 election believed to have been won by Abiola.

Muritala explained that it would be wrong for Babangida, whom he described as an antagonist of democracy, to reap where he did not sow, adding that "Babangida does not deserve to be voted as president."

According to him, Babaginda's renewed bid for the presidency was a calculated attempt to frustrate the true essence of the nation's democracy.

He said, "It will be very unfortunate and that will mean that Nigeria is still very backward. If we have our way we will prosecute Babangida.

"There are facts and figures to frustrate IBB's ambition of becoming president. Some people say they only want to take his money. There is no need to take his money. Let him know that he is a bad man. He is not acceptable.

"Again, we are not ready to have anything to do with any government that will not have the people's feelings and who will not immortalise MKO.

"But if Nigerians so desire that Babangida should come again so be it. But the country will have to bear the consequences of the mistake. We, as a family, are still grappling with the consequence of our brother's death."

He added, "Even our ancestor will not pray for a Babangida's presidency. MKO was a symbol of unity. He was accepted by all; Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba.

"He was made the Yoruba generalissimo, Aare Ona Kakanfo. Akintola, who was the Aare Ona Kakanfo was killed by government, just as MKO was killed."

Reacting to calls by some groups that the former dictator should apologise to Nigerians on the annulment, Muritala insisted that it was too late.

Adding that the call was a gimmick sponsored by Babangida, Muritala said, "We are saying that we cannot take Babangida's plea and that Nigeria should not have anything to do with him. We can forgive him if need be but we cannot support his presidency."

Muritala, who described the annulment and killing of his elder brother as the height of betrayal, recalled that the businessman was a close ally of Babaginda and many other army generals.

Muritala said, "Babangida, former president Olusegun Obasanjo and the military caucus supported MKO initially. The problem began with the question of who becomes the vice-president.

"The army caucus wanted former president of Nigeria Labour Congress, Pascal Bafyau to be vice-president, while the party leaders preferred Babagana Kingibe. MKO's hands were tied because as the party's flagbearer he could not object to their decision to drop Bafyau."

He explained further that the decision caused disaffection between his brother and the top military echelon even as it strained the relationship between MKO and Obasanjo.

He debunked the allegation that some members of the Abiola family were romancing the ruling PDP and Babangida.

Muritala said, "I am just hearing this. If I knew this we would have called a meeting. We are trying to make the whole world know today that apart from what comes from the authentic Abiola family any other thing is false."
Re: Babangida Will Not Be President - Abiola Family by mekusxxx: 5:07am On May 03, 2010

Why?

Because he cancelled MKO's election? Should we not be happy that the cancellation, albeit in bad faith saved us from the economic despoilation that MKO would have wrought on Nigeria?

Where is Abiola family today? Their thieving father is dead and things have long fallen apart. The loot avenue is closed. No more biz as usual.
Re: Babangida Will Not Be President - Abiola Family by EzeUche(m): 5:10am On May 03, 2010
^^^^

Agreed!!! With statements like this, sometimes I wonder if IBB could be a blessing in disguise.
Re: Babangida Will Not Be President - Abiola Family by Brisingr(m): 7:08am On May 03, 2010
IBB should 4 get d presidential seat i don't see anybody on is side
Re: Babangida Will Not Be President - Abiola Family by yemmight(m): 7:53am On May 03, 2010
EzeUche:

^^^^

Agreed!!! With statements like this, sometimes I wonder if IBB could be a blessing in disguise.

Don't even go there.  Don't u have other qualified candidates? For God sake what will this man do to u again after spending 8 years as military not achieving anything? The man that annuled election considered best election in ouu history. Please that election is unforgetable.
Re: Babangida Will Not Be President - Abiola Family by udezue(m): 7:59am On May 03, 2010
Please the family is right. What blessing Ezeuche?

Majority of Nigerians voted for Abiola hence it was wrong to annul the election.
Re: Babangida Will Not Be President - Abiola Family by metalgong5(m): 8:01am On May 03, 2010
Greedy and stupid products of a kleptomaniac like Abiola have no moral authority to tell Nigerians who to elect as their president come 2011.

As for all Yoruba men, you all should put this into your skulls that IBB will surely win the 2011 presidential elections.
Re: Babangida Will Not Be President - Abiola Family by KnowAll(m): 9:18am On May 03, 2010
[size=14pt]The Abiola family are in a dilema, they cannot join the ruling PDP party,  because that would mean dinning with THE DEVIL IBB. The family's enemy number 1, so any daliance with any other party would not only commute the Abiola name into the doldrums of irrelevancy, the name would be rendered inconsequential in mordern day Yorubaland.

Our younger generation are already struggling to remember what Abiola stood for, I am afraid a complete dearth and subsequent continued annihilation of a bygone era has bestowed that family the crowning would be the swearing in of Messers Babangida at Eagle Square.

I can only sympathasise with them, but do I want to share part of their burden, hell NO.     $$$$$   shocked shocked shocked shocked  undecided
[/size]

Babangida's Millions or Abiola moral stance, if the Ikemba can jump ship, who am I
  tongue
Re: Babangida Will Not Be President - Abiola Family by AloyEmeka5: 10:55am On May 03, 2010
Babangida's Millions or Abiola moral stance, if the Ikemba can jump ship, who am I
grin grin grin
Re: Babangida Will Not Be President - Abiola Family by Sunofgod(m): 11:08am On May 03, 2010
MKO dinned with Devils.

His family are hypocrites.

How much did the Abiola family steal from Nigeria through IBB,ITT,Etc.

They (Abiola family - including the b.a.s.t.a.r.d.s who claim to be Abiola's) can also go to hell.

Who are they now!
Re: Babangida Will Not Be President - Abiola Family by formunt(m): 3:34pm On May 03, 2010
IBB IS  SIMPLE A KILLER HE INTRODUCED DRUGS AND "KILLING OPPONENTS  POLITICS"INTO NIGERIA POLITICS
Re: Babangida Will Not Be President - Abiola Family by AYODEJI4LOVE(m): 5:20pm On May 03, 2010
i feel sorry for some silly people supporting ibb just in the name of ethnic group.i will advice him that if by chance he is able to pave his way in by killing other candidate to become president maybe he should try his new technology killing equipment on you
Re: Babangida Will Not Be President - Abiola Family by mekusxxx: 5:26pm On May 03, 2010
AYODEJI4LOVE:

i feel sorry for some silly people supporting ibb just in the name of ethnic group.i will advice him that if by chance he is able to pave his way in by killing other candidate to become president maybe he should try his new technology killing equipment on you

There is no northern response here so the issue of ethnic group doesn not arise. People are being objective. And you why do you support Abiola family if not that they are bloody ngbatis like you? cheesy
Re: Babangida Will Not Be President - Abiola Family by Nobody: 5:55pm On May 03, 2010
mekusxxx:

There is no northern response here so the issue of ethnic group doesn not arise. People are being objective. And you why do you support Abiola family if not that they are bloody ngbatis like you? cheesy
how many individual have sacrificed their lives for the sustenance of this country.Abiola might be anything bad in your dictionary but his records are unbeatable not even by your godfather ojukwu.he won the best election so far in the history of this country but your tribalistic brain will never let it occur to you to ask general babngida why he chose to nullified that election.
you also help me ask him if he WOULD HAVE CANCELLED THE ELECTION ASSUMING TOFA,A NORTHERN HAD WON THE ELECTION.
Re: Babangida Will Not Be President - Abiola Family by Police001: 6:00pm On May 03, 2010
mekusxxx:

Why?

Because he cancelled MKO's election? Should we not be happy that the cancellation, albeit in bad faith saved us from the economic despoilation that MKO would have wrought on Nigeria?

Where is Abiola family today? Their thieving father is dead and things have long fallen apart. The loot avenue is closed. No more biz as usual.

Such a dimwit!

Its totally annoying that folks with whom i share views on the same forum will never be able to make an intelligent argument, devoid of bias from ethnic differences.

All the family has said, like most other right thinking, sane minded Nigerians, is that we shouldn't pave way for the thief and dictator under whose watch the value of the naira dropped drastically and people experienced the highest form of poverty, to come back into power.
Re: Babangida Will Not Be President - Abiola Family by mekusxxx: 8:40pm On May 03, 2010
Police001:

Such a dimwit!

Its totally annoying that folks with whom i share views on the same forum will never be able to make an intelligent argument, devoid of bias from ethnic differences.

All the family has said, like most other right thinking, sane minded Nigerians, is that we shouldn't pave way for the thief and dictator under whose watch the value of the naira dropped drastically and people experienced the highest form of poverty, to come back into power.

Such a blatant nincompoop. What right does anyone have to stop another from contesting? Go to the polls and contribute your single vote that may or may not mar anything. IBB is a crook but so are the others. What are Abiola family they singling him out for then, when we know MKO himself was a bigger thief? What was the value of Nigerian naira during IBB's time and what was it during OBJ's time and thereafter? Now you see how porous-brained you are?
Re: Babangida Will Not Be President - Abiola Family by violent(m): 9:10pm On May 03, 2010
Such a blatant nincompoop. What right does anyone have to stop another from contesting? Go to the polls and contribute your single vote that may or may not mar anything. IBB is a crook but so are the others. What are Abiola family they singling him out for then, when we know MKO himself was a bigger thief? What was the value of Nigerian naira during IBB's time and what was it during OBJ's time and thereafter? Now you see how porous-brained you are?

Rantings of an ediot!

The same statement[i] "Babangida will not be president"[/i] has been said over a million times already and the average Nigerian chew it all the time, the fact that the Abiola family is repeating it shouldn't be a problem.
Re: Babangida Will Not Be President - Abiola Family by pheonixChi(f): 9:41pm On May 03, 2010
WHAT A JOKE OF A COUNTRY AND PEOPLE!
IF NAIJA FINALLY QUENCH you all deserve it. sick place i swear, cry cry cry cry
Re: Babangida Will Not Be President - Abiola Family by CyberG: 9:47pm On May 03, 2010
Looking at the WAR going on among you Nigerians, Nigeria cannot make any progress! It doesn't matter who becomes President, either a saint or a demon! Why?

Tribal, ethnic and religious considerations are the only yardsticks people use in making political arguments! But the worst of them all? Jealousy and Envy! I see Ibo people always attacking Abiola, June 12 and calling this man and his family every bad name they can find! Yet, they will idolize Ojukwu and attack anyone who critisizes him. The Yoruba people do the reverse, idolizing Awolowo, Abiola, etc and attacking Ojukwu, etc. How will this change your PERSONAL LIFE and that of your family? How would this be for the COMMON GOOD of all? Well, it shows that supposedly educated people could be worse than illiterates even when they have to make simple choices.

The Ibo are upset that they are not and have not come close to getting political power at the top of the country (which is really unfair) but rather than challenging such system with a good and fair fight, they will rather support IBB so that NO ONE ELSE from Nigeria will attain power, why? Does it mean that out of the over 150 Million Nigerians, it is ONLY this man that has the ability and brains to be president? He has had 8 years of untold evil unleashed unto Nigeria, perhaps only a little less than Idi Amin Dada when things were relatively easy in Nigeria and Africa and NOW that things are much more complicated, what good can he do? Why will Nigerians cut off their nose to spite their face? Why, I ask again? I will presume a lot of Nlanders are educated and enlightened but there's no proof of such if this is level you all operate. It follows that if NL, which is quite a microcosm of Nigeria, is like this, your guess is as good as mine: Nigeria cannot make any progress if the common denominator for advancement of a people is so lacking among us.

You are invited to think with your brains and judge with your mind before you support another Obasanjo and Yaradua failure only this time it will be worse. A word is enough for the wise but how many 'wise' people are in Nigeria today?
Re: Babangida Will Not Be President - Abiola Family by mekusxxx: 2:36am On May 04, 2010
You can accuse Ojukwu all you can, but you cannot call him a a thief. There is no evidence that he ever stole money unlike MKO, OBJ and Awo, all master thieves of the master thieving group tongue
Re: Babangida Will Not Be President - Abiola Family by texazzpete(m): 8:40am On May 04, 2010
It doesn't matter if you think Abiola was a crook, thief, kleptomaniac etc.
What matters is that in a free and fair setting, Nigerians made their choice. they braved the elements to come out and vote massively for a candidate they chose.
Annulling that election was a huge slap in the face of the Nigerians of that day, and it remains an insult that that scoundrel IBB can come up and attempt to run for President.

Stop being so bloody short-sighted and focus on the real issues. Abiola won an election and he was cheated out of victory. nigerians voted for him and they were cheated out of their vote. Stopping the scoundrel who did this dastardly deeds should be all that matters right now.
Re: Babangida Will Not Be President - Abiola Family by revomind(m): 9:05am On May 04, 2010
To be pragmatic, the East,if still interested in producing the president in the near future,should support a northern candidate. No problem. Why,to some peeps,it has to be IBB, i do not understand.

IBB has a right to contest just as Mr Murtala Abiola has the right to oppose his ambition. Some people are missing the point here, IBB needs to win the PDP ticket first. That would be as difficult as winning over the electorate in a free and fair election.
Re: Babangida Will Not Be President - Abiola Family by chidichris(m): 9:30am On May 04, 2010
abiola's family have not right whatsoever to say who will or will not rule nigeria. all they owe in the decission is that their voting right.
on the other hand, the statement is incomplete. if someone says, ibb will not rule, he shld be able to say who will rule maybe obasanjo or bode george.
Re: Babangida Will Not Be President - Abiola Family by bkbabe97: 9:33am On May 04, 2010
^^^ Or maybe Ojukwu!!!^^^
Re: Babangida Will Not Be President - Abiola Family by tkb417(m): 9:40am On May 04, 2010
Police001:

Such a dimwit!

i agree with you
some people are condemned to be fools for life cos of their ethnic affiliations

I tot all Nigerians Voted Abiola? how come all these cries about Abiola being a thief didnt stop Nigerians from voting him
how do we reconcile that with the way all Nigerians are condemning IBB's planned return to power

some people should be jailed for moronic posts on NL
Re: Babangida Will Not Be President - Abiola Family by Nobody: 9:52am On May 04, 2010
tkb417:

i agree with you
some people are condemned to be fools for life cos of their ethnic affiliations

I tot all Nigerians Voted Abiola? how come all these cries about Abiola being a thief didnt stop Nigerians from voting him
how do we reconcile that with the way all Nigerians are condemning IBB's planned return to power

some people should be jailed for moronic posts on NL
dont mind them.some folks here were toddlers during that period but the funniest aspect is that they argue out of point blindly.i am so embarrassed that anybody will support ibb who committed so many atrocities as a military president and was never prosecuted;instead is now contesting for a comeback at the same sit he held for eight years and didnt want to relinquish it.
Ibb never believed in democracy,so why is he forcing his way to become the president again?
Re: Babangida Will Not Be President - Abiola Family by mekusxxx: 11:42am On May 04, 2010
Yes, it does not have to be IBB, but a northerner deserves to rule till 2015 based on the PDP agreement. If, however the North has no other candidate and present IBB to Nigeria, Igbos have no choice but to vote for him because a northern president at this time is the only way to ensure that Igbos have the opportunity to lead in the near future. Igbos have been sidelined since OBJ came in-typical Yoruba penchant- and it is only strategic that they do all they can to bring themselves back to reckoning. As a matter of fact, IBB has not done anything that others have not done-they have all looted, including OBJ, MKO, Tafa Balogun, Bode George and others. The difference may be that IBB helped stop the mother of all thieves, MKO from further milking the nation dry. Nigerians may yet be thankful to him. Those who think June 12 is a national issue should ask themselves why only Yorubas and a few non-Yoruba living in Lagos (Yoruba arse-lickers) are the ones still talking about it. Yoruba have been compensated for June 12 with OBJ and that should rest the issue of thief MKO for life.
Re: Babangida Will Not Be President - Abiola Family by purewater1: 3:40pm On May 04, 2010
A question for us all, before the annulment of Abiola's election, IBB disqualified 13 aspirants from contesting the same election for which Gen. Shehu Musa Yar'adua was billed to win, remember the primaries in which yar'adua won the primaries everywhere! This annulment created an opportunity for IBB's good friend MKO to come on board. Why has everybody forgotten about this. why is the election free and fair, when the primaries that brought Tofa and Abiola are by military fiat, and not fairness? or, are we just chosing the side that is good for us (the actual election) while hiding the rest of the drama (disqualifying other aspirants after the primaries), just to suit our arguments? Think objectively people,
Re: Babangida Will Not Be President - Abiola Family by tkb417(m): 3:53pm On May 04, 2010
pure water:

A question for us all, before the annulment of Abiola's election, IBB disqualified 13 aspirants from contesting the same election for which Gen. Shehu Musa Yar'adua was billed to win, remember the primaries in which yar'adua won the primaries everywhere! This annulment created an opportunity for IBB's good friend MKO to come on board. Why has everybody forgotten about this. why is the election free and fair, when the primaries that brought Tofa and Abiola are by military fiat, and not fairness? or, are we just chosing the side that is good for us (the actual election) while hiding the rest of the drama (disqualifying other aspirants after the primaries), just to suit our arguments? Think objectively people,
and ur point is?

annulling an election where millions of people voted is equal to barring people from contesting?

i dont get it cos im slow
Re: Babangida Will Not Be President - Abiola Family by violent(m): 6:22pm On May 04, 2010
mekusxxx:

Yes, it does not have to be IBB, but a northerner deserves to rule till 2015 based on the PDP agreement. If, however the North has no other candidate and  present IBB to Nigeria, Igbos have no choice but to vote for him because a northern president at this time is the only way to ensure that Igbos have the opportunity to lead in the near future. Igbos have been sidelined since OBJ came in-typical Yoruba penchant- and it is only strategic that they do all they can to bring themselves back to reckoning. As a matter of fact, IBB has not done anything that others have not done-they have all looted, including OBJ, MKO, Tafa Balogun, Bode George and others. The difference may be that IBB helped stop the mother of all thieves, MKO from further milking the nation dry. Nigerians may yet be thankful to him. Those who think June 12 is a national issue should ask themselves why only Yorubas and a few non-Yoruba living in Lagos (Yoruba arse-lickers) are the ones still talking about it. Yoruba have been compensated for June 12 with OBJ and that should rest the issue of thief MKO for life.

You really need to grow another brain cell, the only one you have is likely to be overworked.

It baffles me to think, folks who will like to lay claims to being called intellectuals, find it tedious to make any form of intelligent argument.

And all this dimwit has to say is that, if the north presents us with another slowpoke, or even just anybody without basic leadership qualities, he'd gladly cast his vote because in his own words "the north deserves to rule till 2015", and that in turn, will give the Igbo people a chance to lead in the near future. . . . . . and therefore, if the North presents him with a dictator and a thief who has robbed Nigerians of every dividends of democracy, as well as looted the country's treasury, he'd sheepishly vote for him, after all that is the only way the Igbo can "have a chance to lead"

My dumb friend will never recognize the fact that it matters not where the President comes from, when President Yaradua was active in the line of duty, in what ways, pray tell, did he benefit Hausas over the rest of the country with his Policies?

likewise for the OBJ led government, has it in any way bettered the life of Yorubas more than the life of Igbos or Hausa?

You keep voting crooks into power just because of your st'pid "our people" mentality and the next day you expect Power and more jobs, such tall expectations i say!

I will like to recommend a copy of this for you, it's the least i can do as a fellow Nairalander!
Re: Babangida Will Not Be President - Abiola Family by mekusxxx: 7:34pm On May 04, 2010
Violent (just to indulge your brainless bulk a bit),

Sentiments and rationalizations aside, what makes anyone think  IBB is a slowpoke? What makes IBB despicable to you? Because he cancelled June 12 election purportedly won by a world renowned thief?

Let's get the argument straight, are you saying that the North has no right to continue ruling until 2015 per PDP arrangement or is it that IBB is the issue here? When I get the crux of your argument I might continue with you. . If it does not matter where the president comes from, why do we have rotational presidency? Why was Yoruba compensated for June 12? Why are Igbos crying of political marginalization? Why are Ijaws promising hellfire if Jonathan is not made Ag president? For now you are catching on straw and behaving like an incompetent nincompoop. You have nothing to argue here ok?
Re: Babangida Will Not Be President - Abiola Family by tkb417(m): 7:38pm On May 04, 2010
mekusxxx:

Violent,

Sentiments and rationalizations aside, what makes anyone think IBB is a slowpoke? What makes IBB despicable to you?

Let's get the argument straight, are you saying that the North has no right to continue ruling until 2015 per PDP arrangement or is it that IBB is the issue here? When I get the crux of your argument I might continue with you. For now you are catching on straw and behaving like an[b] incompetent nincompoop.[/b]
use ur mother tongue to express urself

abi which one be incompetent nincompoop grin grin grin
can a nincompoop be competent?

hehehe, u have a brain of a millipede grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Okupe Begs Critics - Call Me An Attack Lion, Not Dog / Awolowo: Babatope Tackles Achebe / Tam David-West 80th Birthday: Buhari Felicitates With Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.