Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,150 members, 7,815,022 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:09 AM

. - Politics (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / . (582766 Views)

IGBO POLITICAL LEADERS N THEIR PAST MISADVENTURES RESULTING IN CURRENT NAT PROBL / Junaid Mohammed: Igbo Political Leaders Haven’t Learnt Any Lesson From Civil War / Buhari And Economic Advisory Council In Close Door Meeting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (732) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: . by selemempe: 11:22pm On Jul 26, 2018
Ndi banyi e kelee m unu.

Seeing that this is a pan-Igbo thread and not just SE, Let me join my voice in the thread and call for 3 things.

1. Let our leaders work towards the creation of Anioma state and its inclusion into the south east zone.

2. Let our leaders take a stance on restructuring that will favour the SE

3. Let our leaders partner with SS leaders to see the ports in SS are opened and used by igbo importers.

Explanation.

On my 1st point, seeing that the civil war is over and yet the division it brought is still present, I would call on our leaders to reunite the igbo nation and bring as many as possible under the south east umbrella. The SE needs one extra state for equity, we can start breaking our small region further into tiny states or we can do the smart thing and expand our borders across the river niger. Soon we would be an over populated region...with Anioma state in south east, we can have more space for agric and housing.

On my 2nd point, restructure means many things to many regions. Our leaders should have a meeting with SS leaders and then come out and make their stance known. Personally i would like our stance to be things like: creation of state police, increasing oil revenue derivation from 13% to 25%, allowing most items in the exclusive list to be in the concurrent list, allowing states to exploit their natural resources and pay to the fg.

On my 3rd point, i think its time we come together to cut lagos to size. We have been insulted over and over by the rest of nigeria. Yorubas are not out allies, the SS are. Let hausa importers use lagos ports while our own importers will use SS port. By this we can further consolidate our alliance with SS

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: . by spyder880(m): 9:25am On Jul 27, 2018
selemempe:
Ndi banyi e kelee m unu.

Seeing that this is a pan-Igbo thread and not just SE, Let me join my voice in the thread and call for 3 things.

1. Let our leaders work towards the creation of Anioma state and its inclusion into the south east zone.

3. Let our leaders partner with SS leaders to see the ports in SS are opened and used by igbo importers.

Explanation.

On my 1st point, seeing that the civil war is over and yet the division it brought is still present, I would call on our leaders to reunite the igbo nation and bring as many as possible under the south east umbrella. The SE needs one extra state for equity, we can start breaking our small region further into tiny states or we can do the smart thing and expand our borders across the river niger. Soon we would be an over populated region...with Anioma state in south east, we can have more space for agric and housing.

On my 2nd point, restructure means many things to many regions. Our leaders should have a meeting with SS leaders and then come out and make their stance known. Personally i would like our stance to be things like: creation of state police, increasing oil revenue derivation from 13% to 25%, allowing most items in the exclusive list to be in the concurrent list, allowing states to exploit their natural resources and pay to the fg.

On my 3rd point, i think its time we come together to cut lagos to size. We have been insulted over and over by the rest of nigeria. Yorubas are not out allies, the SS are. Let hausa importers use lagos ports while our own importers will use SS port. By this we can further consolidate our alliance with SS

Good.

1 Like

Re: . by Daewang: 9:35am On Jul 27, 2018
selemempe:
Ndi banyi e kelee m unu.

Explanation.

I agree with you on everything except consolidation of alliance with SS. We do not need SS because we can stand alone perfectly.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: . by horsepower101: 4:41pm On Jul 27, 2018
selemempe:
Ndi banyi e kelee m unu.

Explanation.

I agree with you that we need to integrate the our Anioma family into the south east geopolitical zone and majority of Igbos agree to it. How we get there is where the major problem comes. All the states in Nigeria today was created by Military fiat. It wasn't done democratically. How can we create Anioma state with the current constitution?

1 Like

Re: . by selemempe: 5:19pm On Jul 27, 2018
horsepower101:

I agree with you that we need to integrate the our Anioma family into the south east geopolitical zone and majority of Igbos agree to it. How we get there is where the major problem comes. All the states in Nigeria today was created by Military fiat. It wasn't done democratically. How can we create Anioma state with the current constitution?
mid west state was done democratically
Re: . by horsepower101: 6:20pm On Jul 27, 2018
selemempe:

True that's an exception but it was also created during regional government and the constitution of then gave clear rules on how to do so. Today's constitution was handed over by the military. The changes that we seek to see cannot happen without restructuring and rewriting the constitution. Unfortunately, I think Anioma state will not happen if the status quo remains.

1 Like

Re: . by selemempe: 1:05am On Jul 28, 2018
Daewang:

I agree with you on everything except consolidation of alliance with SS. We do not need SS because we can stand alone perfectly.
Yes i can agree that if igboland is complete, we can stand on our own as a country..but u see i believe that in nigeria, we need allies. Ss are natural allies and we should keep it that way

1 Like

Re: . by selemempe: 1:06am On Jul 28, 2018
horsepower101:

True that's an exception but it was also created during regional government and the constitution of then gave clear rules on how to do so. Today's constitution was handed over by the military. The changes that we seek to see cannot happen without restructuring and rewriting the constitution. Unfortunately, I think Anioma state will not happen if the status quo remains.
the statusquo will not remain the same for long
Re: . by horsepower101: 1:13am On Jul 28, 2018
selemempe:
the statusquo will not remain the same for long

I hope so my brother. I really do.
Re: . by InvertedHammer: 2:54am On Jul 28, 2018
/
As little as Israel is, the nation of Israel remains strong.

SE can do it but a lot of basic things need to be put in place. Creating employment opportunities should be a priority. In Aba or Onitsha, even poor people have ways of sustaining themselves if they apply themselves well. The weakest link is Imo State. Hotels and factories can coexist for mutual benefits--with one supporting the other. Building a city solely as an outlet for merriment without supporting factories is a hallmark of shortsightedness. Tourism? Yep. That is definitely coming from folks who have never visited a real tourist destination. Cheap sex is an invitation to escapades and not tourism. With all the hotels, why is Imo State not able to get enough IGR to pay salaries and pensions? Owerri is no where close to Las Vegas, Hong Kong or Manila. Therein lies the difference. Most people who graduate from higher institutions in Owerri have to move to PH, FCT, Lagos or Kano in search of jobs or for I.T because there are no supporting industries.

The cities they intend to copy are centuries ahead in tourism. Owerri ain't got it. That's all. Night life is practically non-existent except around All Season hotel. Beyond that, moving around at night in Owerri is one heck of an onerous task with possible negative outcome. So much for tourists' city.

/

5 Likes

Re: . by horsepower101: 3:39am On Jul 28, 2018
InvertedHammer:
/
As little as Israel is, the nation of Israel remains strong.

SE can do it but a lot of basic things need to be put in place. Creating employment opportunities should be a priority. In Aba or Onitsha, even poor people have ways of sustaining themselves if they apply themselves well. The weakest link is Imo State. Hotels and factories can coexist for mutual benefits--with one supporting the other. Building a city solely as an outlet for merriment without supporting factories is a hallmark of shortsightedness. Tourism? Yep. That is definitely coming from folks who have never visited a real tourist destination. Cheap sex is an invitation to escapades and not tourism. With all the hotels, why is Imo State not able to get enough IGR to pay salaries and pensions? Owerri is no where close to Las Vegas, Hong Kong or Manila. Therein lies the difference. Most people who graduate from higher institutions in Owerri have to move to PH, FCT, Lagos or Kano in search of jobs or for I.T because there are no supporting industries.

The cities they intend to copy are centuries ahead in tourism. Owerri ain't got it. That's all. Night life is practically non-existent except around All Season hotel. Beyond that, moving around at night in Owerri is one heck of an onerous task with possible negative outcome. So much for tourists' city.

/

Owerri needs to continue building on their tourism niche. Eventually, they will get there even though it may not look impressive now.

But most importantly, Imo state's economy needs to be diversified. They need to supplement their budding tourism industry with agriculture, agro processing, heavy and light industry, trade and commerce.

There needs to be special industrial zones mapped out in Owerri, Orlu and Okigwe which will be supported with government incentives.

I heard innoson has acquired 100,000 square meters of land on the outskirts of Owerri, near the airport to build his brand new factory.

We need more of this happening. I believe other industrialist will follow but Imo state government needs to be very serious.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: . by Daewang: 5:07am On Jul 28, 2018
selemempe:
Yes i can agree that if igboland is complete, we can stand on our own as a country..but u see i believe that in nigeria, we need allies. Ss are natural allies and we should keep it that way

So far SS has not contributed anything to this so called alliance. Ndigbo have been making all the sacrifices all this while.
Re: . by whirlwind7(m): 8:54am On Jul 28, 2018
Daewang:

So far SS has not contributed anything to this so called alliance. Ndigbo have been making all the sacrifices all this while.

Look at it this way:

SS has been the proverbial goose that has been laying the golden egg. Yes, SE has oil producing areas, too. But SS has over the years churned out the bulk of crude oil which has so far sustained this contraption of a country.
During these years, SS has not gotten back a commensurate amount of recognition and compensation for what it has sacrificed.
The few times that the FG has tried to close this gap, warlords and local champions from the SS are quick to hijack whatever monetary benefits the government was willing to give for their development. Which is the reason why such criminal gangs and cliques are numerous over there. You need to make a lot of noise and a lot of threats for government to recognize that your clique is a factor to reckon with, and to pose a reasonable threat to crude oil extraction. After which you and your crew get paid as a "compensation" or awarded contracts to secure oil pipelines.

When all this happens, the bulk of the natives see it all, and suffer in silence. They are powerless to act. They can't beat the warlords. They'd rather join them, to secure their lives and to feed.

In all of this, the FG is the most visible benefactor because it controls the oil money that sustains them. Now, the SE cannot offer the SS what pittance the FG drops for them. So, what allegiance, or cooperation does the SS owe or wishes to have with the SE within such a set up? None.

In other words, every geopolitical region crawls with its cap in hand every month, to get its sustainment from the FG. FG is the big brother, just because a flawed political set up has concentrated all power (and money) into its hand. So, at the moment, every region looks out for itself, and look up to the FG.
With this set up, the SS does not need the SE. Natural alliance may exist, but it is minimal. Which is the way the FG wants it (the divide and rule tactic)

The most plausible time the SS will come out in the open and unilaterally voice out an alliance with the SE is when this contraption breaks down, or at worse, restructuring is done.

For the time being, FG calls the shots. This is the reason why FG will NEVER accept to restructure. It would render it near powerless and redundant.

Ndigbo have been making the sacrifices you mentioned because a typical Igbo has a deep seated aversion at being cheated.
While other tribes may grudgingly accept an unfavourable status quo, the average Igbo will not. Hence, the reason why they are despised.

Know that the person who stands for truth and justice within a flawed system will end up having numerous enemies.

Also note how the SS has been unstable in their stance. Once the FG fails in "compensating" them for what they owe, they begin making a lot of noise about restructuring or even voicing the emergence of Biafra (Asari Dokubo has done this many times before)
Once their "shut up" money is released, then all is well. Its a matter of who finances a junkie's cravings getting the momentary loyalty.

2 Likes

Re: . by Sprumbabafather: 9:09am On Jul 28, 2018
whirlwind7:

Look at it this way:

SS has been the proverbial goose that has been laying the golden egg. Yes, SE has oil producing areas, too. But SS has over the years churned out the bulk of crude oil which has so far sustained this contraption of a country.
During these years, SS has not gotten back a commensurate amount of recognition and compensation for what it has sacrificed.
The few times that the FG has tried to close this gap, warlords and local champions from the SS are quick to hijack whatever monetary benefits the government was willing to give for their development. Which is the reason why such criminal gangs and cliques are numerous over there. You need to make a lot of noise and a lot of threats for government to recognize that your clique is a factor to reckon with, and to pose a reasonable threat to crude oil extraction. After which you and your crew get paid as a "compensation" or awarded contracts to secure oil pipelines.

When all this happens, the bulk of the natives see it all, and suffer in silence. They are powerless to act. They can't beat the warlords. They'd rather join them, to secure their lives and to feed.

In all of this, the FG is the most visible benefactor because it controls the oil money that sustains them. Now, the SE cannot offer the SS what pittance the FG drops for them. So, what allegiance, or cooperation does the SS owe or wishes to have with the SE within such a set up? None.

In other words, every geopolitical region crawls with its cap in hand every month, to get its sustainment from the FG. FG is the big brother, just because a flawed political set up has concentrated all power (and money) into its hand. So, at the moment, every region looks out for itself, and look up to the FG.
With this set up, the SS does not need the SE. Natural alliance may exist, but it is minimal. Which is the way the FG wants it (the divide and rule tactic)

The most plausible time the SS will come out in the open and unilaterally voice out an alliance with the SE is when this contraption breaks down, or at worse, restructuring is done.

For the time being, FG calls the shots. This is the reason why FG will NEVER accept to restructure. It would render it near powerless and redundant.

Wrong answer.

He wants to know what the SS has contributed to the alliance, not by giving their Igbo brothers money or opportunities (heck, we can make our own from Jerusalem to Jericho) but what they have done in terms of moral and psychological support to the brotherhood. We know a lot of our SS brothers support us, but an Okowa for instance could speak out against marginalisation of Igbo land like in projects denied or abandoned by the FG out of pure wickedness.

Have you ever heard Ifeanyi Okowa, or Chibuike Amaechi speak against the delay of the second Niger bridge, even as it also benefits them too?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: . by whirlwind7(m): 9:16am On Jul 28, 2018
Sprumbabafather:

Wrong answer.

He wants to know what the SS has contributed to the alliance, not by giving their Igbo brothers money or opportunities (heck, we can make our own from Jerusalem to Jericho) but what they have done in terms of moral and psychological support to the brotherhood. We know a lot of our SS brothers support us, but an Okowa for instance could speak out against marginalisation of Igbo land like in projects denied or abandoned by the FG out of pure wickedness.

Have you ever heard Ifeanyi Okowa, or Chibuike Amaechi speak against the delay of the second Niger bridge, even as it also benefits them too?

Bro, we are saying the same thing.

Read my post again. I am saying why the SE has not received as much support from the SS as to be expected.

2 Likes

Re: . by Xander85: 9:17am On Jul 28, 2018
selemempe:

That was done in an entirely different dispensation and era....then Igbos were equal partners at the national table! Today, it's a totally different scenario...one in which those who are the de-facto 'owners of Nigeria' and their supporters in a section of the south are bristling with hate, suspicion and envy for Ndigbo, and have it as their lifelong ambition to see to the continuation of the 'division' and balkanization of Igboland!

They'd be reading this particular issue on this thread with a rising sense of irritation and annoyance, and would be saying to themselves that as long as they have a say in the matter, the integration of the entire Igboland (this primarily includes Igbos in the SE, Rivers and Delta states) can only happen when hell first freezes over! shocked wink

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: . by Daewang: 10:16am On Jul 28, 2018
whirlwind7:

Look at it this way:

Ndigbo have been making the sacrifices you mentioned because a typical Igbo has a deep seated aversion at being cheated.
While other tribes may grudgingly accept an unfavourable status quo, the average Igbo will not. Hence, the reason why they are despised.

Know that the person who stands for truth and justice within a flawed system will end up having numerous enemies.

Also note how the SS has been unstable in their stance. Once the FG fails in "compensating" them for what they owe, they begin making a lot of noise about restructuring or even voicing the emergence of Biafra (Asari Dokubo has done this many times before)
Once their "shut up" money is released, then all is well. Its a matter of who finances a junkie's cravings getting the momentary loyalty.

Exactly what I'm saying. Why should Ndigbo want an alliance with such unstable people. We stand to lose much more than we would gain from such alliance.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: . by Sprumbabafather: 10:25am On Jul 28, 2018
Daewang:

Exactly what I'm saying. Why should Ndigbo want an alliance with such unstable people. We stand to lose much more than we would gain from such alliance.

I am suspecting you to be those pretenders who is out to divide Igbos from Igbos.

There's nothing to lose in an alliance between brothers, take your divide and rule tactics to your region.

2 Likes

Re: . by Daewang: 10:28am On Jul 28, 2018
Sprumbabafather:

I am suspecting you to be those pretenders who is out to divide Igbos from Igbos.

There's nothing to lose in an alliance between brothers, take your divide and rule tactics to your region.

Mechionu gi onye nzuzu. Nwatakiri di ka gi.
Re: . by Sprumbabafather: 10:46am On Jul 28, 2018
Daewang:

Mechionu gi onye nzuzu. Nwatakiri di ka gi.

Anyone can throw insults in Igbo language, even Chinese nationals. So you can start talking nonsense because I busted you.

2 Likes

Re: . by Daewang: 10:57am On Jul 28, 2018
Sprumbabafather:

Anyone can throw insults in Igbo language, even Chinese nationals. So you can start talking nonsense because I busted you.

Oburu na I nwere ako n'uche I ga eche echiche lekwa profile m tupu I bido na ekwu okwu nzuzu.
Biko a na m ario gi rapukwam n'ututu a.
Re: . by InvertedHammer: 2:50pm On Jul 28, 2018
horsepower101:

Owerri needs to continue building on their tourism niche. Eventually, they will get there even though it may not look impressive now.

But most importantly, Imo state's economy needs to be diversified. They need to supplement their budding tourism industry with agriculture, agro processing, heavy and light industry, trade and commerce.

There needs to be special industrial zones mapped out in Owerri, Orlu and Okigwe which will be supported with government incentives.

I heard innoson has acquired 100,000 square meters of land on the outskirts of Owerri, near the airport to build his brand new factory.

We need more of this happening. I believe other industrialist will follow but Imo state government needs to be very serious.
/
Can you name two tourists centers in Owerri, Imo State that generate revenues for the government?

Sex tourism cannot sustain a city. People go to Owerri to pick up women and sleep in hotels. What else? No casinos (big source of revenues), no steady power and no security. We hope Owerri will get there but Nigerian leaders are not equipped with that level of thinking faculty. That's why we resort to wish and hope. Imo State starts and ends at Owerri.

Please educate me on tourists attractions in Owerri other than beehive of ladies of easy virtue. How can the government monetize unregulated and non-taxable sexual escapades in Owerri?

2 Likes

Re: . by horsepower101: 3:10pm On Jul 28, 2018
InvertedHammer:

/
Can you name two tourists centers in Owerri, Imo State that generate revenues for the government?

Sex tourism cannot sustain a city. People go to Owerri to pick up women and sleep in hotels. What else? No casinos (big source of revenues), no steady power and no security. We hope Owerri will get there but Nigerian leaders are not equipped with that level of thinking faculty. That's why we resort to wish and hope. Imo State starts and ends at Owerri.

Please educate me on tourists attractions in Owerri other than beehive of ladies of easy virtue. How can the government monetize unregulated and non-taxable sexual escapades in Owerri?

Are you a moral or religious police. What people do in their private time is not my business or your business.

If the economy is really your issue, then your main concern should be if the hotel investments are being utilized at full capacity. This will help increase the profit of the owners and tax revenue for the government. In turn, the owners wil expand their facilities to other entertainment avenues such as restaurant, night clubs, event centers and casinos.

Do you know that 10 to 15 years ago, people all over the south east used to go to port Harcourt to find decent hotels. Today, people come to owerri to stay is certain hotels. This is progress.

If prostitution is your issue then your hands full because prostitution is the oldest profession on earth. Even int the north where there is sharia, there is still prostitution there.
Re: . by mandax: 4:32pm On Jul 28, 2018
horsepower101:

Lol. Retrogression in Imo state?

Mbakwe govt acquired three industrial zones in Oweri, Orlu and OKigwe, but who talks about them again in Imo?. Imo state has been retrogressing economically since Abia state was carved out from old Imo state, and Owerri people had a secrete meeting that no development project of Imo state govt must be located beyond Owerri zone again. It was the aftermath of new Imo state dragging ownership of old IMSU with Abia state when Abia was carved out of old Imo state. Abia won the old IMSU.

Thereafter, Owerri-born then governor of Imo state, Evan(s) Enwerem, had to locate IMSU in a dilapidated school building in Owerri, despite the existence of a refurbished and larger university infrastructure in Orlu, at the closed Orlu Campus of AICE, despite that FUTO, PolyNekede and AICE existed in Owerri.

Today, development in Imo state is all about a governor collecting the state and lga allocations to build Owerri - industry is not it.

1 Like

Re: . by InvertedHammer: 5:01pm On Jul 28, 2018
horsepower101:

Are you a moral or religious police. What people do in their private time is not my business or your business.

If the economy is really your issue, then your main concern should be if the hotel investments are being utilized at full capacity. This will help increase the profit of the owners and tax revenue for the government. In turn, the owners wil expand their facilities to other entertainment avenues such as restaurant, night clubs, event centers and casinos.

Do you know that 10 to 15 years ago, people all over the south east used to go to port Harcourt to find decent hotels. Today, people come to owerri to stay is certain hotels. This is progress.

If prostitution is your issue then your hands full because prostitution is the oldest profession on earth. Even int the north where there is sharia, there is still prostitution there.
/
Prostitution is not my concern. Can the industry around it generate enough revenue to sustain the state when combined with federal allocation? No. There you have it. We are talking economy and you are debating with yourself about morality.

Why anyone would leave serene environment like Enugu and travel to Owerri beats my imagination. I passed through Owerri in June....and never again. Rochas reduced that city to a dump.

/

2 Likes

Re: . by Curlieweed: 5:25pm On Jul 28, 2018
InvertedHammer:

/
Prostitution is not my concern. Can the industry around it generate enough revenue to sustain the state when combined with federal allocation? No. There you have it. We are talking economy and you are debating with yourself about morality.

Why anyone would leave serene environment like Enugu and travel to Owerri beats my imagination. I passed through Owerri in June....and never again. Rochas reduced that city to a dump.

/

Great point. Thanks bro. The situation in Imo State clearly illustrates the lack of imagination endemic among our politicians today. In the 60's the Great M I Okpara piped gas to industrial Areas in Aba and PH creating industrial areas that still sustain those cities today. Today, our Roaches is building gates and and patching roads in Owerri. And sycophants are mouthing ridiculous nonsense about tourism. Meanwhile, Imo is a top gas producer as well as having one of the best educated population in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: . by horsepower101: 5:36pm On Jul 28, 2018
InvertedHammer:

/

/

I agree with you. That’s why if you re-read the original statement I made, I said the government needs to diversify the economy. And I listed the areas.

Trust me, I am just as frustrated as you when it comes to Imo state. That state has so much potential with is central location to everything in the southeast And some parts of the south south. The government is useless.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: . by horsepower101: 5:50pm On Jul 28, 2018
Curlieweed:

Great point. Thanks bro. The situation in Imo State clearly illustrates the lack of imagination endemic among our politicians today. In the 60's the Great M I Okpara piped gas to industrial Areas in Aba and PH creating industrial areas that still sustain those cities today. Today, our Roaches is building gates and and patching roads in Owerri. And sycophants are mouthing ridiculous nonsense about tourism. Meanwhile, Imo is a top gas producer as well as having one of the best educated population in Nigeria.

The current Nigerian system produces very incompetent leaders. It’s very sad how we have gone from very patriotic and inspirational leaders to the political touts that we have today. Nigeria has really regressed our culture. Its sickening to see how visionsless igbo leaders keep adding salt to the injury do to us by this country.

2 Likes

Re: . by InvertedHammer: 7:39pm On Jul 28, 2018
horsepower101:

I agree with you. That’s why if you re-read the original statement I made, I said the government needs to diversify the economy. And I listed the areas.

Trust me, I am just as frustrated as you when it comes to Imo state. That state has so much potential with is central location to everything in the southeast And some parts of the south south. The government is useless.

Anambra has Onitsha and Nnewi.
Abia has Aba.
Enugu is rebranding Nsukka.
Imo is still stuck at Owerri as all and all.

As little as Owerri is, it is still stuck in dark ages even with unlimited potential. Ikedi was just there. Rochas had 8 years but used it to return Owerri to the 1800s. Eight fruitful years are more than enough for any leader with vision. Guess who may be coming back? Ohakim! Is the state cursed or what? I don't get it.

/

1 Like

Re: . by horsepower101: 7:46pm On Jul 28, 2018
InvertedHammer:

Anambra has Onitsha and Nnewi.
Abia has Aba.
Enugu is rebranding Nsukka.
Imo is still stuck at Owerri as all and all.

As little as Owerri is, it is still stuck in dark ages even with unlimited potential. Ikedi was just there. Rochas had 8 years but used it to return Owerri to the 1800s. Eight fruitful years are more than enough for any leader with vision. Guess who may be coming back? Ohakim! Is the state cursed or what? I don't get it.

/

God forbid imo people are foolish enough to vote for Ohakim again. Actually I will rate okarocha far better than him even though I don’t like Okorocha.

2 Likes

Re: . by Curlieweed: 9:31pm On Jul 28, 2018
horsepower101:

The current Nigerian system produces very incompetent leaders. It’s very sad how we have gone from very patriotic and inspirational leaders to the political touts that we have today. Nigeria has really regressed our culture. Its sickening to see how visionsless igbo leaders keep adding salt to the injury do to us by this country.

Apart from the fact that our culture is suffering serious erosion, the current structure doesn’t also encourage large worthwhile projects.

I think we need to have some bottom up pressure from ordinary folks (the IPOB phenomenon was forcing them to come together indirectly). The SE is very compact and the artificial bantustans (euphemistically called states) are a major hindrance to effective development.

We need to have the equivalent of the old Eastern Nigeria Development Corporation (backed by legislation from all the 5 states) with broad and independent executive powers. This idea of governors spending 8 years on projects with no strategic value; patching roads, planting flowers and building bridges to nowhere - all thewhile playing to the gallery - isn’t going to help us.

If we continue like this for the next 50 years, our homeland will be desolate, our language lost and our culture will be merely a memory.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (732) (Reply)

Yorubas Are The Most Industrious,Richest & Educated Tribe in Nigeria & Africa / Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics / Nairaland Says No To Secessionists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.