Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,484 members, 7,816,145 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:34 AM

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala's Revelation About Donald Duke & Omoyele Sowore In Her Book - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala's Revelation About Donald Duke & Omoyele Sowore In Her Book (84798 Views)

This Is How Food Items Are Distributed In Rwanda - Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala / Soyinka Meets Sowore In Abuja Ahead Of His Court Appearance (Photos) / Unbowed And Unbroken: TIB Members Visit Defiant Sowore In DSS Detention (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala's Revelation About Donald Duke & Omoyele Sowore In Her Book by Bimpe29: 9:57am On Apr 23, 2018
Nigeria political sanity lacks sanity and godliness.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala's Revelation About Donald Duke & Omoyele Sowore In Her Book by EvangelistNdudi(m): 10:01am On Apr 23, 2018
DoTheNeedful:

Wetin Sowore do? You are just sensationalizing. There is nothing special in what I read there. He revealed their conservation. So? What more? The conversation wasn't even cordial afterall.
Besides, stfu about "withdrawing support for Sowore 2019". You never supported him. We know people like you, your sentiments and where your heart lies. undecided
my brother don't just read, please digest it.
some politicians are sponsoring this Sowore of a guy to publish some kind of stories
you might not agree with me until you know what many do not know
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala's Revelation About Donald Duke & Omoyele Sowore In Her Book by Nobody: 10:05am On Apr 23, 2018
chronique:

Oil price rose to $147 per barrel in 2008 when Jonathan wasn't president, and the highest it got to in 2013 was a little above $110. As a matter of fact, it started dropping to around $90 towards the end of 2013.

Thanks for your observation. You gave an average crude oil price in the market. Bonny Light did not just jumped to $147/barel in 2008.It rose to $118 /barel first. In 1999, obj met oil at $9/barel lower than average price which later increased. Yaradua was in power in 2008 but a sick man. Your madam was not the minister till 2011, there was no record of economic mismanagement the little time Soludo spent with Yaradua.When Anyim & his people came onboard, a state governor combined his governorship with presidential economic adviser post, madam was in power now with diezani at petroleum, there is another person in power, all the strategic parastatals where money can flow have their men remaining only CBN. That was how they looted Nigeria. High oil price for 6 yrs no saving at all, still borrowed money, the reserve obj left in 2007 was depleted from approximately $50 billion leaving about $25 billion. Remember Obj met 5.5 billion & debt burden

1 Like

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala's Revelation About Donald Duke & Omoyele Sowore In Her Book by ibrokanety: 10:05am On Apr 23, 2018
Why madam finance minister fail to answer sowore questions?
She should not complain about the conversation being reveal to the public.

4 Likes

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala's Revelation About Donald Duke & Omoyele Sowore In Her Book by Durchmann(m): 10:07am On Apr 23, 2018
forgiveness:

Obasanjo wanted a South South candidate for the 2007 election and that was the main reason Peter Odili and Donald Duke had the intention to run for the President post in 2007, but the Northern carcus persuaded Obasanjo to stick to the early arrangement to return the Presidency to the North after his tenure and the fact that Atiku who left to contest on another political party platform could win the election if pitched against a South South candidate, hence the need to bring someone who can get votes from the North and support of the PDM initially behind Atiku. The obvious candidate was the brother of the person that the formed the PDM Yaradua, and to compensate the South South who were initially in the forefront to run for the President in 2007, the Vice President was seceeded to them.

This thing happened within two days. So, there was no way Donald Duke would have thought the South South will get the Vice President slot before coming to Abuja.

Remember, you were hired with money, it doesn't mean you knew what you were doing. cheesy

Donald Duke never aspired to be Vice President going to Abuja. He rather aspired to contest as the President.

Well, you are in your rights to say what you want to say.

Mind you, I said I declined to go. I'm guessing you skipped that part in order to malign the messenger.

I agree with you that he campaigned for presidency. I omitted that in error. However , he was also in the running for the VP seat as well to which (to his amazement), he, Odili and Attah were sidelined for Jonathan who didn't even want the seat.

I was only countering the guy who said he never wanted the VP seat. In fact, his annoyance was that both Yaradua and Jonathan never wanted the job, even after Obj picked both of them.

1 Like

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala's Revelation About Donald Duke & Omoyele Sowore In Her Book by LadyExcellency: 10:08am On Apr 23, 2018
obailala:
That guy wasnt wrong; just about all the great achievements NOI made under OBJ were reversed under GEJ, and that was because GEJ as the boss couldnt hold things together.

Is it in terms of national debt?.. is in terms of the ECA or the foreign reserves?... NOI cleared all the nation's debts under OBJ and was able to accru national savings up to $60bn. But in a period when Nigeria enjoyed the largest unprecedented oil boom, national debts grew steadily to higher levels than it was before being cleared and no defined projects can be pointed out which those debts were used for. Similarly for foreign reserves and ECA, under OBJ NOI supervised these accounts growing from about $5bn to over $60bn. But under GEJ, the same NOI saw that same $60bn vaporize down to $30bn at a time when Nigeria earned its largest income.

Talking of economic indices all looking good under GEJ, that was just a function of high oil prices, high oil income and indiscriminate spending. When excess money is in the system and it's being spent indiscriminately, it tends to show positively on the economic indices like GDP growth rates et al. The real report card on whether the money was well 'spent or not usually shows up when the excess money supply dries up; and that takes us to late 2014/early 2015 when contractors started being owed, billions of dollars were being borrowed to pay salaries, next to nothing was being budgeted for capital expenditure in 2015 etc.

Some might pop up the "biggest economy in Africa" story, but that certaintly isnt an achievement which could have happened under a year of GEJ's rule; it is something which was built up over several years prior to 2010. In a nutshell, like I said before, all the great achievements of NOI happened when she was under obj, and those achievements were largely reversed when she served under gej.

Reasonable and analytical people went out from Nairaland and we now have these nonsensical twisting of fact.

Poor Nigerian youths

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala's Revelation About Donald Duke & Omoyele Sowore In Her Book by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:12am On Apr 23, 2018
stonemasonn:
I heard Duke was offered the VP job but he rejected it.
Duke was not offered VP pls... He wanted it but didn't get it. Obj gave Jonathan to appease Niger Delta people
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala's Revelation About Donald Duke & Omoyele Sowore In Her Book by JuanDeDios: 10:12am On Apr 23, 2018
CaptJeffry:
This is disheartening. I know Duke is a mafia but I never knew he could be evil minded towards an SS brother.

Where I've seen Duke and Ben Bruce in Los Angeles isn't a place one sees ordinary men. This is why I smile when people refer to them as nice guys.
Might that be Illuminati head office at LA?

1 Like

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala's Revelation About Donald Duke & Omoyele Sowore In Her Book by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:15am On Apr 23, 2018
whirlwind7:

Jonathan, in turn trying to ignore them, might be the reason why it is generally perceived that he failed the south. It was expected that he would address the age long neglect of the south, especially SS, but he didn't seem to give that region a special attention or preferential treatment.

This could be the reason.
They started working against Jonathan since the day he assumed office as acting President.

My grouse with Jonathan was that he ignored the SouthSouth zone developmentally

1 Like

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala's Revelation About Donald Duke & Omoyele Sowore In Her Book by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:16am On Apr 23, 2018
forgiveness:

Jonathan didn't beat Donald Duke to become Vice President ahead him, rather it was Duke that refused to be the Vice President under is junior Yara dua before it passed to Jonathan.

Jonathan was nobody as at the time Obasanjo single handedly choosed him. He was not as popular as Duke.

My point is Duke never lobbied to be Vice President, he even regetted it after Obasanjo picked him because he lobbied to be them President then.
Nobody even offered Duke in the first instance despite the intense lobbying himself, Attach, Ibori and Odili did.

1 Like

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala's Revelation About Donald Duke & Omoyele Sowore In Her Book by analryder: 10:21am On Apr 23, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:
Duke is no different from all six governors of class 1999-2007 from the SouthSouth. They serially loath Jonathan whom they considered a "junior" that beat them to become Vice President ahead of them despite their lobbying.

Duke I know can't win his polling unit with his SDP

People hardly know this...But you have a clever thought there...T Boy

Even ministers like Oby Ezekwez, El Rufai, FFK etc and various legislators...crippled his tenure because of Jealosy.

I think he could have surrounded himself with real people that have the people at heart and not the ones he was trying to pay back some favours knowing he can never satisfy their greed...we wouldnt have been here now. Lets hope 2019 produces a new head and new bodies to move this country forward.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala's Revelation About Donald Duke & Omoyele Sowore In Her Book by forgiveness: 10:26am On Apr 23, 2018
Durchmann:

Well, you are in your rights to say what you want to say.

Mind you, I said I declined to go. I'm guessing you skipped that part in order to malign the messenger.

I agree with you that he campaigned grin for presidency. I omitted that in error. However , he was also in the running for the VP seat as well to which to his amazement), he, Odili and Attah were sidelined for Jonathan who didn't even want the seat.

I was only countering the guy who said he never wanted the VP seat. In fact, his annoyance was that both Yaradua and Jonathan never wanted the job, even after Obj picked both of them.

No vex, abeg. grin

I followed the politics of the day then, so I knew he declined to be Vice President under Yaradua.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala's Revelation About Donald Duke & Omoyele Sowore In Her Book by bishopkay: 10:27am On Apr 23, 2018
rusher14:

How did Patience Jonathan become so wealthy?

At least, we all know it is not a rumour.

How did Mariam Abacha become so rich? How did Turai Yar'adua become so rich? They all became rich living off us.

In your mind of minds now you think Aisha Buhari isn't amassing wealth? The dollar rate gate comes to mind. They've got running costs accruing to them and all.

Get this bro I'm not holding brief for anyone but the truth is what I just told you! But that's digressing fully away from our initial discussion now ain't it?

1 Like

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala's Revelation About Donald Duke & Omoyele Sowore In Her Book by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:29am On Apr 23, 2018
analryder:

People hardly know this...But you have a clever thought there...T Boy

Even ministers like Oby Ezekwez, El Rufai, FFK etc and various legislators...crippled his tenure because of Jealosy.

I think he could have surrounded himself with real people that have the people at heart and not the ones he was trying to pay back some favours knowing he can never satisfy their greed...we wouldnt have been here now. Lets hope 2019 produces a new head and new bodies to move this country forward.

Jonathan really messed himself up!

His only real friends were Oghadomen (the former Deputy Governor of Edo state who later became his Chief of Staff), Akpabio, all SouthSouth Deputy Governors of class 1999-2007 and Liyel Imoke.

All ex-ministers under Obasanjo except NOI loathed Yaradua and Jonathan. But Jonathan wasn't wise enough until they helped him to ruin himself

4 Likes

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala's Revelation About Donald Duke & Omoyele Sowore In Her Book by forgiveness: 10:30am On Apr 23, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:

Nobody even offered Duke in the first instance despite the intense lobbying himself, Attach, Ibori and Odili did.

Oga, Jonathan was never in the picture for the Vice President. In short, Obasanjo gave him a call to come to Abuja on the day the VP was supposed to be announced and gave him 20 minutes to accept or reject the offer. This was after Donald Duke declined to take the offer. Take it or leave it.

1 Like

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala's Revelation About Donald Duke & Omoyele Sowore In Her Book by obailala(m): 10:35am On Apr 23, 2018
LadyExcellency:

Reasonable and analytical people went out from Nairaland and we now have these nonsensical twisting of fact.

Poor Nigerian youths
Since you're so sure I twisted facts, kindly point out the twisted fact (if you can) or respectfully just hold your peace. I suppose that shouldnt be a difficult task if you really know what you're talking about. Thanks

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala's Revelation About Donald Duke & Omoyele Sowore In Her Book by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:39am On Apr 23, 2018
forgiveness:

Oga, Jonathan was never in the picture for the Vice President. In short, Obasanjo gave him a call to come to Abuja on the day the VP was supposed to be announced and gave him 20 minutes to accept or reject the offer. This was after Donald Duke declined to take the offer. Take it or leave it.
Stop all these beer parlor talk pls.

It was Yaradua that chose Jonathan after Obj gave him his name when the name of someone (NOT Duke) was rejected by Yar'adua.

In politics the Candidate choose who he is comfortable with (that is why Jonathan chose Sambo ahead of Lamido and Kwankwaso).

Duke wasn't even in the picture though he lobbied... I have my fact

2 Likes

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala's Revelation About Donald Duke & Omoyele Sowore In Her Book by sagitariusbaby(m): 10:45am On Apr 23, 2018
Onechancearmy:

Thanks. But it's true. If Iweala had granted Sowore an interview instead of getting upset with him for reaching her on a private number, then she would have had the moral right to call him out if Saharareporters publishes anything contrary to what she said.

How could she had possibly grant him interview from the back door. Why didn't he go through the right channel? If it was me, I would so hurl insult at him and his ancestors before slamming the phone on his a**hole

1 Like

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala's Revelation About Donald Duke & Omoyele Sowore In Her Book by DrPKL: 10:45am On Apr 23, 2018
Get your PVCs!
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala's Revelation About Donald Duke & Omoyele Sowore In Her Book by chronique(m): 10:51am On Apr 23, 2018
babaolofin:

Thanks for your observation. You gave an average crude oil price in the market. Bonny Light did not just jumped to $147/barel in 2008.It rose to $118 /barel first. In 1999, obj met oil at $9/barel lower than average price which later increased. Yaradua was in power in 2008 but a sick man. Your madam was not the minister till 2011, there was no record of economic mismanagement the little time Soludo spent with Yaradua.When Anyim & his people came onboard, a state governor combined his governorship with presidential economic adviser post, madam was in power now with diezani at petroleum, there is another person in power, all the strategic parastatals where money can flow have their men remaining only CBN. That was how they looted Nigeria. High oil price for 6 yrs no saving at all, still borrowed money, the reserve obj left in 2007 was depleted from approximately $50 billion leaving about $25 billion. Remember Obj met 5.5 billion & debt burden

I like when people argue with facts. Foreign reserves was around $30bn when Jonathan left power and at that time, the value of the nails depreciated so much due to the perceived political crisis that was predicted to engulf Nigeria during the election. A lot of investors pulled out their funds and the demand for the dollar was so high. I'm sure you don't need further explanation as to why it affected us. Reserve that was depleted in 2007, had nothing to do with Jonathan. He wasn't the one giving orders at the time and I'm sure you know that.

1 Like

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala's Revelation About Donald Duke & Omoyele Sowore In Her Book by patrickmuf(m): 10:54am On Apr 23, 2018
Onechancearmy:

Thanks. But it's true. If Iweala had granted Sowore an interview instead of getting upset with him for reaching her on a private number, then she would have had the moral right to call him out if Saharareporters publishes anything contrary to what she said.
Exactly, as a public servant or someone who has served in the capacity before, it is not unexpected for journalists to try to reach you using whatever means, she really should have obliged him...

1 Like

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala's Revelation About Donald Duke & Omoyele Sowore In Her Book by EarthXmetahuman: 10:56am On Apr 23, 2018
prince3009:

E pain am!

At least we made a good choice voting GEJ. Unlike the dolts who voted this present mallam and have taken this country backward.
good choice?

Where is second Niger bridge?

1 Like

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala's Revelation About Donald Duke & Omoyele Sowore In Her Book by patrickmuf(m): 10:59am On Apr 23, 2018
Xander85:

Messed up which economy? You must be referring to a Nigeria in a parallel universe!

Nigerias' economy was on an upward trajectory when GEJ and Okonjo-Iweala were in charge. Almost all socio-economic indicators were positive. This kwarruption-kwarruption you numbskulls keep on parroting about just to try and deflect blame for Buhari and APC gross incompetence and running the economy aground....you know Nigeria performed better in the corruption perception index during the time of GEJ? Even regarding security, can you actually say Nigeria is more secure today than when GEJ was President? Wasn't the naira better valued during the GEJ years than it is today with you 'man of integrity' in power? The present job losses nko.....can you compare the present job data to those of the GEJ years?

Come to think of it, since your 'saint' is now in power and corruption has purportedly been reduced to its barest minimum...since the price of oil has been above the budgeted estimates for at least the past two budgets....since the Buhari gov't has recovered all the billions of dollars they say GEJ gov't and PDP stole since 1999...since all this is now the case shouldn't we be experiencing economic boom and happiness?

You guys are so annoying walahi!
I hope you know the government of GEJ borrowed to pay salaries towards the end of the administration? That's hardly what you expect from an administration that supervised the affairs of the country back when the global price of crude oil was at its all time high...
No insults please...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala's Revelation About Donald Duke & Omoyele Sowore In Her Book by Nobody: 11:03am On Apr 23, 2018
EarthXmetahuman:
good choice?

Where is second Niger bridge?

In your brown-roofed compound

1 Like

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala's Revelation About Donald Duke & Omoyele Sowore In Her Book by patrickmuf(m): 11:04am On Apr 23, 2018
sagitariusbaby:

How could she had possibly grant him interview from the back door. Why didn't he go through the right channel? If it was me, I would so hurl insult at him and his ancestors before slamming the phone on his a**hole
Investigative journalism sees journalists go the extreme to uncover stories, unravel truths and debunk half-truths...
She should know better as a public servant or one that has served in the public service...
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala's Revelation About Donald Duke & Omoyele Sowore In Her Book by EarthXmetahuman: 11:05am On Apr 23, 2018
prince3009:

In your brown-roofed compound
atleast I have brown roof, unlike you that live in gutter. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala's Revelation About Donald Duke & Omoyele Sowore In Her Book by ayagha: 11:07am On Apr 23, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:
Duke is no different from all six governors of class 1999-2007 from the SouthSouth. They serially loath Jonathan whom they considered a "junior" that beat them to become Vice President ahead of them despite their lobbying.

Duke I know can't win his polling unit with his SDP

Your are very correct, I presume you are from the south south just like me.
Those governors saw Jonathan as a non entity hence their opposition and hatred for him.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala's Revelation About Donald Duke & Omoyele Sowore In Her Book by Nobody: 11:08am On Apr 23, 2018
famosh:

So the truth pain you! grin grin Are you a part of the ever-deluded people too?
Enjoy your second Niger bridge, boy!
GEJ till 2019!

Second Niger Bridge which your dwarf brother Commissioner Osibande wanted to use in scamming us by saying his principal paid $4b for. Everything about these set of people from yonder na scamming! Their ordinary youths do wire wire...the ones in diaspora do credit card fraud and their government officials do political scamming!

Enjoy your LAKE rice boy! grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala's Revelation About Donald Duke & Omoyele Sowore In Her Book by Nobody: 11:11am On Apr 23, 2018
EarthXmetahuman:
atleast I have brown roof, unlike you that live in gutter. cheesy

Stop bothering my mentions you Open Defecation Republican

1 Like

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala's Revelation About Donald Duke & Omoyele Sowore In Her Book by Apoztl3(m): 11:13am On Apr 23, 2018
tensazangetsu20:
That's why I laugh when people are all ranting about PVC on social media. As much as I hate Buhari, anyone can mark my words the next person who takes up that seat will be 1000 times worse than Buhari especially if he's coming from the present corps interested in running.
My bro, as far as 9ja is concerned every body is miles better than Buhari
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala's Revelation About Donald Duke & Omoyele Sowore In Her Book by Mejor79(m): 11:18am On Apr 23, 2018
With all this we can see that battle against Goodluck Jonathan was even before he became President.

They were only envious of him trying to look down on him. The likes of Ameachi, Donald Duke, Kwankwaso, El- Rufai, Saraki etc. Some fought him openly while others did it in secret by working against him from behind.

The truth is that only God gives power most of them will never sit as the President.

1 Like

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala's Revelation About Donald Duke & Omoyele Sowore In Her Book by TonyeBarcanista(m): 11:29am On Apr 23, 2018
ayagha:

Your are very correct, I presume you are from the south south just like me.
Those governors saw Jonathan as a non entity hence their opposition and hatred for him.
I'm from Rivers state

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

APC And PDP Supporters Parked Their Cars In Church In Benin Today / Your God Is Powerless And Useless - Dr Olufunmilayo Reacts To Deborah's Death / Senate Makes 11 Years The Legal Age To Have Sex In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.