Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,054 members, 7,810,939 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:54 PM

Before You Travel To Canada: The Dangers Therein - Travel (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Before You Travel To Canada: The Dangers Therein (97743 Views)

With 16500 Security Agents Will Allow You Travel From Lagos To Abuja Despite Ban / When Last Did You Travel To The Village? / What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Before You Travel To Canada: The Dangers Therein by Ugosample(m): 10:02am On Jun 20, 2018
EMMAACHILE:
Canadian route is being blocked gradually.

Shameful

Nigerians can be too desperate
Re: Before You Travel To Canada: The Dangers Therein by Evangkatsoulis: 11:10am On Jun 20, 2018
fairfora:
Pamela, thank you very much for telling them the truth but hey! The will neva listen ooo. Aja to ba maa sonu, ko ni gbo fere olode layeee( a dog that would go missing would always defer the sound of his master's whistle). My friend, a branch manager in a first generation bank resigned, sold his landed property and jetted out to canada with the whole family 5 years ago yet, no jobs. He keeps amassing canadian paali yet, no sign of getting a paying job anytime soon. The country would build a standard for you, provide gas, heater and washing machine in your home(same with yankee). You dare not say you're not gonna use it because whether it's used or not, the bill is fixed and you must pay monthly. What is left is meager. Meanwhile as a branch manager, he was earning 700k, with an official car. This guy had access to fat loan facilities with ridiculously low interest rates, which he could have invested in farming, almost free money oo. Now, he's spent 5 years already with no hope of making ends meet. He can't even think of coming back sef. His colleagues back home are now directors and deputy directors. Nigeria is the most fertile land on earth unfortunately, our people are too blind to see the opportunities inherent in the land. An indian or a chinese would come to nigeria with one shirt and a trouser but in a few years, he's a millionaire in dollars. What is wrong with naija peeps sef. Canada that nigerians who have become grandpa, who relocated when things were good are now planning to leave because of their dwindling economy, is where nigerians are rushing into, all in the name of greener pasture that does not exist anywhere, SMH. Had Seun Osewa relocated to canada with his vast IT experience, I doubt if he would be smiling to the bank the way he's doing today. Abi I lie Seun? grin . seriously, we need to think deeply before taking a decision so we don't shoot ourselves in the leg. I'm yet to see such a fertile land as Nigeria.

How much is Seun making from Nairaland?
Re: Before You Travel To Canada: The Dangers Therein by Nobody: 11:50am On Jun 20, 2018
Evangkatsoulis:

How much is Seun making from Nairaland?
He's here and active on NL. Maybe you should ask him lol. If Linda Ikeji, a blogger could live on banana island and own exotic cars, you can imagine what Seun could be worth today with the viable adds on his homepage almost on each thread. If not the humility of Seun, the whole world would have noticed him. I became one of the beneficiaries to the adds ...the one on eagles jersey adevertised here. The first time I called the company, the line was engaged foe over 5 minutes which also means the company is busy attending to customers all over the world because nairaland is a global online forum. Some reputable embassies and entrepreneurs are here live, including $y humble self. Many say Linda gets money from sugar daddies. They are too blind to see how much a blogger could make by directing traffic to her blog. As people visit, they see adverts and patronise the company. Linda makes money on a daily basis through adds. I hope our people would stop doing yes sir someday, to those oyinbos out there, who are supposed to be hired as contract employees to manage their companies in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Before You Travel To Canada: The Dangers Therein by Evangkatsoulis: 12:26pm On Jun 20, 2018
fairfora:
He's here and active on NL. Maybe you should ask him lol. If Linda Ikeji, a blogger could live on banana island and own exotic cars, you can imagine what Seun could be worth today with the viable adds on his homepage almost on each thread. If not the humility of Seun, the whole world would have noticed him. I became one of the beneficiaries to the adds ...the one on eagles jersey adevertised here. The first time I called the company, the line was engaged foe over 5 minutes which also means the company is busy attending to customers all over the world because nairaland is a global online forum. Some reputable embassies and entrepreneurs are here live, including $y humble self. Many say Linda gets money from sugar daddies. They are too blind to see how much a blogger could make by directing traffic to her blog. As people visit, they see adverts and patronise the company. Linda makes money on a daily basis through adds. I hope our people would stop doing yes sir someday, to those oyinbos out there, who are supposed to be hired as contract employees to manage their companies in Nigeria

Some of the sections have ads as low as 6k per month and he doesn't get money from Google adsense.
So he can't be compared with Linda at all.

2 Likes

Re: Before You Travel To Canada: The Dangers Therein by Nobody: 3:42pm On Jun 20, 2018
Evangkatsoulis:

Some of the sections have ads as low as 6k per month and he doesn't get money from Google adsense.
So he can't be compared with Linda at all.
Oh, really? please count all the fora( in thousands) on this site and on each forum, the traffic of visitors daily, then count the number of adds on each page you open, then multiply it by the 6k you mentioned. The figure would shock you

2 Likes

Re: Before You Travel To Canada: The Dangers Therein by Evangkatsoulis: 3:44pm On Jun 20, 2018
fairfora:
Oh, really? please count all the fora( in thousands) on this site and on each forum and the number of visitors daily, then count the number of adds and then multiply it by the 6k you mentioned. The figure would shock you

Many sections have little to no viewers and no ads.
If you stay in a section for 20 mins, see how many different ads you can count.

1 Like

Re: Before You Travel To Canada: The Dangers Therein by Nobody: 4:08pm On Jun 20, 2018
Evangkatsoulis:

Many sections have little to no viewers and no ads.
If you stay in a section for 20 mins, see how many different ads you can count.
No qualms but in my opinion, If I were asked of the best place to place professional and issue-specific adds, NL would be my choice any day cos of the huge traffic in-here. For instance, if you visit a travel section, some of the adds you'd see there would be related to travels, same with birthing overseas. Those adds you see don't come cheap, from the info at my disposal.
Re: Before You Travel To Canada: The Dangers Therein by megastu(m): 7:30pm On Jun 20, 2018
My brother, i feel you.

There is usually a sense of jealousy when you suddenly relaise that you are not the only Nigerian that can live in Canada.

Abeg who wan go make he go. Although i am here in Naija fully though. However, every man knows what he wants.
papiforreal:

I tell you bro. The population of Arabs in Canada is quite alarming. I have worked with many Canadian on Upwork and was surprised to know that they are all of Arab extraction
Re: Before You Travel To Canada: The Dangers Therein by Gamesmart: 11:41pm On Jul 06, 2018
Obi4gboy:
I understand you my brother, but it's not in my place to prove anything to you. The fact you can't do something does not make it impossible, and no need for insults. You have your opinions, I have my savings. I don't normally do this but, I am gonna show my paystubs for the last few weeks from one of my jobs, just so hardworking young people will know it's possible. I get paid every week, the pay varies cos I do overtime some weeks. This is my pay after tax. For my other job, I get an average of $600 a week. All I am saying is that it is possible. I get an average of $1300 a week after tax from both my jobs, so are you telling me I can't save $4000, when I am alone here. The second picture also shows my earnings from the beginning of the year till now and tax paid. And this is just from one of my jobs. So please brother, don't be too quick to insults, if you are diligent, it is possible.

So, according to you, you make $5,200 every month after tax.

To make this, you said you work 2 jobs in which you work 16 hours a day.

For you to make that kind of money, surely you work in a big city.

So your rent cannot be less than $800 per month, if not far more.

What about council taxes?

What about utility bills?

What about transportation costs to get to work? Abi you live on top of your work place?

If you are working 16 hours a day, then surely you have to eat out. So it would be almost impossible not to spend at least $20 to feed yourself every day. That is at least $400 every month.

You don't have a mobile phone?

You don't have internet connection at home you have to pay for?

You don't send any money home to family and loved ones?

Now, how do you claim you able to save $4,000 every month after all these? Please explain.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Before You Travel To Canada: The Dangers Therein by Gamesmart: 11:46pm On Jul 06, 2018
johnnyvid:
but most of them are saving up to $4000 per month. you just have to change your mindset OK. some of them do that job and still build mansions in Nigeria. you just have to get your priority right. some will even apply to more jobs while hustling that way. be positive OK.

Continue deceiving yourself there.

What mansion? Nonsense!

1 Like

Re: Before You Travel To Canada: The Dangers Therein by Gamesmart: 11:51pm On Jul 06, 2018
Obi4gboy:
I am actually married, but she is still in Nigeria. I am in the process of sponsoring her to Canada, that's why I said I am alone here. But whether you say it's small or not, at least I am living well here and building an event center in Owerri. So I think I am just fine. When I get the paying job, then I get it.

You are saving $4,000 every month from a take-home of $5,200 per month, yet you are still building an event centre in Nigeria?

With what money? grin grin grin grin grin

Stupid liar!

Fantasist.

4 Likes

Re: Before You Travel To Canada: The Dangers Therein by Mcslize: 5:10am On Jul 07, 2018
Gamesmart:

So, according to you, you make $5,200 every month after tax.

To make this, you said you work 2 jobs in which you work 16 hours a day.

For you to make that kind of money, surely you work in a big city.

So your rent cannot be less than $800 per month, if not far more.

What about council taxes?

What about utility bills?

What about transportation costs to get to work? Abi you live on top of your work place?

If you are working 16 hours a day, then surely you have to eat out. So it would be almost impossible not to spend at least $20 to feed yourself every day. That is at least $400 every month.

You don't have a mobile phone?

You don't have internet connection at home you have to pay for?

You don't send any money home to family and loved ones?

Now, how do you claim you able to save $4,000 every month after all these? Please explain.

There is what we call extravagant lifestyle. Most of the things you listed there are subsidized by the government. In some Canada cities, a bus pass isn't more than $58 for a full month. Utility bill (light, water and gas are paid together for a full month) is not usually more than $120 -130 combined, and might still be lower cuz it's still being subsidized for by the federal government once you are a PR.

For someone like me, I can save more than that with such earning, cuz most of all those bills people here always used to discourage others from relocating and want every one to roast here in Nigeria are not quite high. Na just shikili changes if you working. If you are the type that prepare your own food and who don't eat out unnecessarily, you shouldn't spend more than $300 per month for food stuffs.

And for accommodation; the closer you live to the city center, the higher the rent, and the farther you are off the city center, the cheaper the rent. However, that's not to say you won't see a moderately cheaper accommodation in the city center, depending on how you searched. Why will I stay in the city center, when I can stay in a clean great suburb with just about 30 to 40 minutes drive to the city center? With a monthly public transport pass of $58 , I can usually commute back and forth without stress each month even if I don't want to get a car.

So you see? Life is all about planning.

6 Likes

Re: Before You Travel To Canada: The Dangers Therein by Gamesmart: 5:55am On Jul 07, 2018
Mcslize:

There is what we call extravagant lifestyle. Most of the things you listed there are subsidized by the government. In some Canada cities, a bus pass isn't more than $58 for a full month. Utility bill (light, water and gas are paid together for a full month) is not usually more than $120 -130 combined cuz it's still being subsidized for you once your a PR.

For someone like me, I can save more than that with such earning, cuz most of all those bills people here always used to discourage others from relocating and want every one to roast here in Nigeria are not quite high. Na just shikili changes if you working. If you are the type that prepare your own food and who don't eat out unnecessarily, you shouldn't spend more than $300 per month for food stuffs.

And for accommodation; the closer you live to the city center, the higher the rent, and the farther you are off the city center, the cheaper the rent. However, that's not to say you won't see a moderately cheaper accommodation in the city center, depending on how you searched. Why will I stay in the city center, when I can stay in a clean great suburb with just about 30 to 40 minutes drive to the city center? With a monthly public transport pass of $58 , I can usually commute back and forth without stress each month even if I don't want to get a car.

Okay. Tell me how you would plan it to save $4,000.

$5,200 as take home every month.

minus

C$800 for house rent
C$120 for combined bills
C$58 for bus pass*
C$300 for food

That is already about $3,900 left. Someone throws him C$100 free on the street every month?

So he does not use a mobile phone? He does not use the internet? He does not pay any money to the local council? He does not buy clothes and shoes? He wears his ankara and slippers in the snow? He does not send money home to his wife he said he left behind and she is still with him and faithful to him while he "saves"?

*Note: This is also someone that claims to be doing 16 hours shift a day, I wonder how he would be taking the bus and not own a car instead. These buses operate for 24 hours? How does he sleep when he would probably spend another 1-2 hours on the bus everyday? That makes it 18 hours if you add to his work hours in 2 jobs. He sleeps 6 hours every day? That would mean he would not even have the time to shower everyday. He dey go work dey smell?

Lets even track back a bit. How does one make $5,200 after tax in Canada as a Security Guard?

Who is a guarding for? The Colombian or Mexican drug cartels?

Here are the average wages for security guards in Canada:

https://www.payscale.com/research/CA/Job=Security_Guard/Hourly_Rate
https://ca.indeed.com/salaries/Security-Guard-Salaries-at-G4s
https://neuvoo.ca/salary/security-guards/

Lets be generous to his story that both his 2 jobs, which he goes to on the bus without taking a shower everyday and where he sleeps at work, pays at the far upper end of the hourly salary at C$18 per hour. Not the average C$13-16 per hour.

Now calculate the amount he will make every month working 16 hours a day, 5 days a week:

C$18 x 16 x 5 x 4 weeks = C$5,760

That is C$69,120 per year.

He claims to take C$5,200 home every month. So his tax every month is just C$560? He has a tax rate of 10% while making almost C$70K a year?

Chei! Maybe he is really guarding for the drugs cartel. grin grin grin grin grin

Please explain. I wan know this magic too.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Before You Travel To Canada: The Dangers Therein by timesup234: 6:10am On Jul 07, 2018
Why do u waste your time on dese moorons?
85% of Nigerians in Canada cant even save up $400 in a month. That dude is suffering from mental disorder
Gamesmart:

Okay. Tell me how you would plan it to save $4,000.

$5,200 as take home every month.

minus

C$800 for house rent
C$120 for combined bills
C$58 for bus pass*
C$300 for food

That is already about $3,900 left. Someone throws him C$100 free on the street every month?

So he does not use a mobile phone? He does not use the internet? He does not pay any money to the local council? He does not buy clothes and shoes? He wears his ankara and slippers in the snow? He does not send money home to his wife he said he left behind and she is still with him and faithful to him while he "saves"?

*Note: This is also someone that claims to be doing 16 hours shift a day, I wonder how he would be taking the bus and not own a car instead. These buses operate for 24 hours? How does he sleep when he would probably spend another 1-2 hours on the bus everyday? That makes it 18 hours if you add to his works hours in 2 jobs. He sleeps 6 hours every day? That would mean he would not even have the time to shower everyday. He dey go work dey smell?

Lets even track back a bit. How does one make $5,200 after tax in Canada as a Security Guard?

Who is a guarding for? The Colombian or Mexican drug cartels?

Here are the average wages for security guards in Canada:

https://www.payscale.com/research/CA/Job=Security_Guard/Hourly_Rate
https://ca.indeed.com/salaries/Security-Guard-Salaries-at-G4s
https://neuvoo.ca/salary/security-guards/

Lets be generous to his story that both his 2 jobs that he goes to on the bus without taking a shower everyday and he sleeps at work pays at the far upper end of the hourly salary at C$18 per hour. Not the average C$13-16 per hour.

Now calculate the amount he will make every month working 16 hours a day, 5 days a week:

C$18 x 16 x 5 x 4 weeks = C$5,760

That is C$69,120 per year.

He claims to take C$5,200 home every month. So his tax every month is just C$560? He has a tax rate of 10% while making almost C$70K a year?

Chei! Maybe he is really guarding for the drugs cartel. grin grin grin grin grin

Please explain. I wan know this magic too.

1 Like

Re: Before You Travel To Canada: The Dangers Therein by lastempero: 7:09am On Jul 07, 2018
People always think that travelling out of Nigeria is just bcoz of economic gain but forgot to factor the security aspect,wether the future of ur kids are guaranteed,a case where politicians have taken over all employment opportunities available.

So many things to consider and come to think of it,majority of big investments in Nigeria are set up by people from abroad,its only the weak and lazy ones without proper documents suffer abroad and probably proper planning.who no go no go know.

5 Likes

Re: Before You Travel To Canada: The Dangers Therein by femo86(m): 8:51am On Jul 07, 2018
Nairaland FBI don come....See them above grin grin grin

I'm here just for the comments

1 Like

Re: Before You Travel To Canada: The Dangers Therein by Gamesmart: 10:26pm On Jul 08, 2018
timesup234:
Why do u waste your time on dese moorons?
85% of Nigerians in Canada cant even save up $400 in a month. That dude is suffering from mental disorder

You see as dem run?

Serious mental disorder.

Sitting in their face-me-I-face-you rented room in Abule Egba, coming up with nonsense lies about how they have made it in Canada.

1 Like

Re: Before You Travel To Canada: The Dangers Therein by AnthonyAk(m): 3:41am On Jul 10, 2018
Canada is tough without a good job. A good job means you have to goto school......period.

Don't let anybody lie to you. In any big city, one can't make it on anything less than $60k per year.

There are good jobs but with higher pay it's more competitive.

It's not as impossible as the OP makes it seems but I mean if ur seeing 600k in Naija whats there to complain?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Before You Travel To Canada: The Dangers Therein by AnthonyAk(m): 3:46am On Jul 10, 2018
Mcslize:

There is what we call extravagant lifestyle. Most of the things you listed there are subsidized by the government. In some Canada cities, a bus pass isn't more than $58 for a full month. Utility bill (light, water and gas are paid together for a full month) is not usually more than $120 -130 combined, and might still be lower cuz it's still being subsidized for by the federal government once you are a PR.

Just to chime in Vancouver a monthly bus pass is $174, average rent is about $1650, phone bill is $69, cable and internet is $150. $300 on food is about right.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Before You Travel To Canada: The Dangers Therein by authority2006(m): 4:53pm On Jul 11, 2018
SnowJay92:

How many other countries have their citizens flooding to Canada?

I wouldn't know but your question didn't address my point. You can call Nigeria any name you like but Canadians discriminate against foreign certificates.

1 Like

Re: Before You Travel To Canada: The Dangers Therein by Geo4646: 12:24pm On Sep 08, 2018
go hug transformer.. Shey e no better to stay for desert, than to stay for dis APC govt in Nigeria. enemies to democracy!

1 Like

Re: Before You Travel To Canada: The Dangers Therein by Benekruku(m): 1:36pm On Sep 08, 2018
My sincere advice would be that , if you earning above 2500USD in Nigeria, Please forget relocation. it's a set back.

6 Likes

Re: Before You Travel To Canada: The Dangers Therein by eleojo23: 4:34pm On Sep 08, 2018
Benekruku:
My sincere advice would be that , if you earning above 2500USD in Nigeria, Please forget relocation. it's a set back.

You mean per year?
Re: Before You Travel To Canada: The Dangers Therein by Benekruku(m): 4:36pm On Sep 08, 2018
eleojo23:

You mean per year?
month
Re: Before You Travel To Canada: The Dangers Therein by nitrogen(m): 7:24pm On Sep 08, 2018
Benekruku:
I agree!

2.5k monthly is over a million naira.

Unfortunately, some folks don't care, a friend left his 1.2m monthly job for Canada very recently, he is lamenting already. 1.2m monthly net salary is about 60-70k dollars annual gross.

3 Likes

Re: Before You Travel To Canada: The Dangers Therein by Trustme2(m): 8:10pm On Sep 08, 2018
nitrogen:

I agree!

Unfortunately, some folks don't care, a friend left his 1.2m monthly job for Canada very recently, he is lamenting already. 1.2m monthly net salary is about 60-70k dollars annual gross.

At what exchange rate did u arrive at that calculation pls. How much is Canadian Dollar now?
Re: Before You Travel To Canada: The Dangers Therein by Nobody: 4:01am On Sep 09, 2018
Benekruku:
Its about 895k naira on bdc rate of 358/$. That amount is huge and you will live in the best parts of any Nigerian city especially if the source of pay is not location dependent.

3 Likes

Re: Before You Travel To Canada: The Dangers Therein by Benekruku(m): 7:35am On Sep 09, 2018
nitrogen:

I agree!

Enough in that category but few share how they got it wrong with the Canadian dream. It's all about weighing options with "ACTUAL" reality. At or Above that pay, I don't know what you wanna go do in a Canada that you can't do here outside vacation

2 Likes

Re: Before You Travel To Canada: The Dangers Therein by chigo4u: 12:51pm On Sep 09, 2018
EMMAACHILE:

Its about 895k naira on bdc rate of 358/$. That amount is huge and you will live in the best parts of any Nigerian city especially if the source of pay is not location dependent.
bros how far with your dropshipping and did where did you finally make up your mind between norway and canada as -per your last thread
Re: Before You Travel To Canada: The Dangers Therein by Nobody: 1:45pm On Sep 09, 2018
chigo4u:

bros how far with your dropshipping and did where did you finally make up your mind between norway and canada as -per your last thread
Don't mind me jare
Still mulling it oh but this time between USA or Australia or Nigeria.
Re: Before You Travel To Canada: The Dangers Therein by chigo4u: 2:14pm On Sep 09, 2018
EMMAACHILE:

Don't mind me jare
Still mulling it oh but this time between USA or Australia or Nigeria.
Why did you take out Canada and Norway lol. I also want to relocate but considering US/Canada. Used to consider Norway until I discovered their currency is not that strong even with the high cost of living there. Also how far with the Amazon dropshipping
Re: Before You Travel To Canada: The Dangers Therein by Nobody: 3:00pm On Sep 09, 2018
chigo4u:

Why did you take out Canada and Norway lol. I also want to relocate but considering US/Canada. Used to consider Norway until I discovered their currency is not that strong even with the high cost of living there. Also how far with the Amazon dropshipping
Cost of living nullified Norway. Lack of job opportunities in the offline sector considering if i want to move my siblings and also difficult to get permanent residence.
Amazon drop shipping is OK.

The best places will be availability of job opportunity, average weather, easy availability of credit to international students and possibly English speaking country.
USA, Australia tick all boxes here.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Tolulope Arotile Was Mistakenly Killed By Her Ex Schoolmate - NAF / Attention: Nigerians Living And Working In UAE (dubai) / I'm Based In Lagos, This Is Where I Go When I Say I'm Going To The Village.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.