Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,973 members, 7,817,865 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:40 PM

Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development (9451 Views)

Why Are These Two Igbo States Hated??? / An Analysis/predictions Of The Presidential Elections In South East (igbo)states / GDP in Relation to Poverty in Nigeria: Why are Igbo States Low (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by asha80(m): 4:13pm On May 25, 2010
KnowAll:

[size=14pt]Who was the man who called for the colonialist to come back and rule Imo State back in 1983, the crying Governor his honourable Sam Ibakwe. The man has more sense than some of u Igbo’s who are not ready to smell the coffee.

The man knows that the Igbo’s lack the tact, patience and decorum needed to govern, the reason being that the Igbo’s inherent believe that everyman na oga in his or her own right, such thinking does not auger well for development, it is an anti-establishment stance no wonder authorities in the East are treated with disdain and with kid gloves, the moment the Igbo’s learn to subdue themselves to authority that day they would see the light.

50 Candidates (are they really Candidates, bandits would be a more correct description of these desperadoes) for one Governorship post, I don’t think any state would ever break that record.

OBJ has never being a Governor and cannot be mentioned in tandem with these low lifers who call themselves Governors.[/size]

and to think this guy goes with name knowall sad. shows that the ability to read,write and type does not mean that someone is enlightened.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by mekuszyx: 4:24pm On May 25, 2010
^^^^^^
HHAHAH! To some, true democracy is no longer about numbers and competition. It is rigging or imposition of candidates without any competition for positions.
I wonder the need for Nigeia to have multi-party system if all the parties cannot be represented in any contest.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by mekuszyx: 4:10am On May 26, 2010
You’re half-baked gov Ouch! That hurts!
Ajimobi, Oyo AC guber aspirant bombs Akala
By ALVAN EWUZIE AND NWAGBO NNENYELIKE
Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Akala
More Stories on This Section
Senator Abiola Ajimobi contested for the 2007 governorship election in Oyo State on the platform of the All Nigerian People’s Party (ANPP). He lost to the People’s Democratic Party’s (PDP) flag bearer, Otunba Adebayo Alao-Akala.
He is re-contesting the same position using the Action Congress (AC) ticket. In this interview with YINKA FABOWALE and CHARLES SEGUN ADEGBITE, he spoke on the reasons for defecting from AC to the ANPP and returning to the AC, his readiness to defeat the incumbent governor in 2011 among others. Excerpts:

Return to the Action Congress.
“Let me correct that impression, that the leader of our party, Alhaji Lam Adesina, forced me out of the party. That is not true. There was a misunderstanding generally between some groups of people within the party of which I was, of course the symbol of that misunderstanding of that group. Then, we all decided that we should opt for another party, that though not exactly the same but share some commonalities with Action Congress. When we debated it, our people said, ‘look we are still progressives, which other party can we use as a platform for our gubernatorial ambition?’ And we opted for ANPP. There was never a personality or personal problem with Adesina.

“We wanted to ensure that we went for the primaries in everything. And the party said, ‘look, let us have consensus.’ We wanted to encourage as much as possible, internal democracy. At that time, we couldn’t get that. So, we opted for another party. Many things have changed since then. We’ve all learnt our lessons, both sides. One lesson is the fact that unless the progressives are together, it is more difficult to win and remove the guys that are there now. I mean the cowboys. The second lesson was that internal democracy in the form of party primaries and congresses are always most desirable. Thirdly, there are more understanding among members, we are more united in the party.”

Weak opposition parties
“The PDP never won election in the South West, particularly in Oyo State. If you look at the result and you do the analysis, you will discover that even without the progressive combining, when we were divided into two major plants. That is ANPP and AC. The ANPP I contested on yhe platform defeated Akala in that election. If you see the result of the election, in virtually all the local government areas, I won.
Akala won in Ogbomoso. His total score was equal to what he scored in the rest of the state. The rest of the state represents 82% of the total votes. And Akala scored the same number of votes in 82% at 18%. That is, in five local government areas votes, out of the 33 local government areas of the state, Akala scored in five local government areas the same number of votes he scored in the remaining 28 local government areas. That is to say 18% of Akala’s votes from Ogbomoso was higher than 82% of the state.”

What chances have you to emerge as the choice of the party?
“My chances are very bright. I believe I have track records, political track records which give me an edge. I have been a Senator. That is to say, I have contested and won in 1/3 of the state. At a time that I was the only Senator of the progressives, that is from Oyo State. At the time that PDP swept off all the other candidates I was the only Senator in AD that won in Oyo State in 2003. I have been tested in at least, that area that I represented at that time, which was 52% of registered voters of the state.

“In 2007, I contested on the platform of ANPP as a gubernatorial candidate. Now, for this sake of this argument, let’s say Akala won and I came second in the 2007 election. I met the constitutional requirement of at least minimum of 2/3 of the votes. I won in 22 local government areas, out of the 33. Or, not necessarily won. But let me say we met the minimum requirement of 25% of votes in at least 2/3 of the states. Which means my acceptance is balance and well spread all over the State. I have contested in the state, up to Oyo. I cleared the whole of Oyo and won there. Out of the 11 local government areas in Ibadan, I won nine. In Ogbomoso, I came second, for the purpose of this argument. Up till Oyo, Oke-Ogun, Ibarapa, I won in one and came second in one and third in one.

“What I’m saying is that I have been tested and proven, that gives me opportunity. I’m already a known person you don’t need to start all over again, there is no where you go in Oyo State that they will say they don’t know Senator Abiola Ajimobi. Some of us that have been there before, we know the tricks. We have been able to face Akala and he knows it. We cannot afford to take a risk of another four years of mismanagement under Akala or PDP. I really don’t want to get personal on Akala, of PDP mismanagement.

“Since we are now integrated fully, my ability now in terms of networking and reconciliation with elders, and all stakeholders within the party, have also placed me in good chance. I will be able to network with many and develop a better understanding.”
If you couldn’t beat Akala in 2007, what makes you think you can beat him in 2011?
“He has been able to show what he is able to do. He has been able to show what he is unable to do. He has been able to show what he can destroy in Oyo State. In other words, Akala has been given as much as over N50 billion in three years and what has he done with it? Go and check the quality of the roads he is doing. It is not just doing roads. Anybody can do road. But what is the quality? When it rains now, give them two or three weeks and the roads are bad again. He is more or less doing surface dressing.

“His non-performance is legendary. Relatively speaking, when you compare it with all other states, even the United Nations research confirmed that Oyo State is in the bottom of the least developed states in Nigeria.
“Look at the rate of mismanagement, I will give you an example. Look at the state hospitals. When (Rasheed) Ladoja was there, Adeoyo Hospital budgeted about N85million for its renovation. When Akala got there, the same renovation cost over N400million. You can go there, let them show you what they have done. What renovation work they’ve done there. “Look at even the Teaching Hospital he is doing in Ogbomoso. That one collapsed two times. Go and look at the quality of work there. Akala is doing work but the quality of the work is a reflection of his own quality as well. Many students in our tertiary institutions do not have chairs and table to study. The educational sector has been destroyed. Look at the environment. Ibadan, Oyo State in general, is still the dirtiest among the states in the federation.

“Go to Oke-Ogun, they said they’ve done so many roads there. Go and see how many roads they have finished there. They are still on going. And look at the cost there. If you take Adesina, Ladoja, Kolapo Ishola and every other, he has earned more money than them. With his achievement, has it been commensurate with the income that he has earned?
“What revenue has he generated in the state? What innovation has he brought into the state? For non performance alone, that has given me more courage to ever want to challenge him. In the first instance, he did not win the last election, and he knows. And I know also. That was when ANPP alone did it. If you now combine ANPP and AC together, that is, the united front of the progressives. That is one of the reasons I’m challenging him.

Within the PDP now, they are factionalized. All those that helped him to win, that is, to steal that mandate, are now quarrelling with him. Of course, the Baba Adedibu factor is also there. Everybody knows that when Baba Adedibu (Chief Lamidi Adedibu) was alive, he had an overriding influence in Oyo State politics. It’s like you are a team, you have a centre forward who scores goals all the time. If he is not there, there will be problem. The man is not there now.
“We believe that some efforts are being made to review the electoral law. Rigging will be reduced. It cannot be eliminated but, at least people’s votes will count.”

Plans to prevent what happened in 2007 from repeating itself.
“One major plan is that this time around, it’s one man one vote. If anybody comes with cutlasses and guns, so shall he meet other people there that will face him. We will mobilize enough that people will check, protect and defend their votes. That is the main plan.”
ANPP members in the House of Assembly who defected to the PDP. “We sponsored them. Many of them didn’t even campaign, many didn’t even have posters. They’ve gone to the PDP and just watch out for them in the forthcoming elections. I’m not sure if any of them will have the ticket to run again. If they do, I will like to see the result they will get because some of them just rode on the back of our main man.”

Incursion into politics
“Evil will triumph when men with good conscience refuse to act. I don’t want to sit on the fence and be complaining. I want to participate. The only way you can bring changes in this environment is to get directly involved. I don’t want to be an armed-chair critic. I’ve done my beat in the oil industry. I was there for almost 30years. I got to the peak. The only thing I could do again is enjoy my vocation, which is politics. I believe that many Nigerians of our caliber should as much as possible get involved in politics, actively so that charlatans will not continue to rule us.”
“You see what is happening now. So many people that ordinarily shouldn’t be there are there. You can see what is happening to the society. People who didn’t have N1million in their accounts before are now boasting of billions. Where did they get it? In the same government. Nigeria is such a country that anything goes.”

Your late father as a prominent politician
“What he always told me was that ‘you make a living by what you take, by what you get, but you make life by what you give.’ Giving is politics.
I continue to give. Otherwise, you ask yourself, why am I really here? The problems are enormous. Our people are impoverished. They come everyday for help. It is unbelievable. I sent somebody to the bank today to collect N200,000. I now have about N90,000 in my purse. It is because somebody will come and get N5,000 here, N2,000 there. Somebody will even go out and say the man is a miser. Having spent so much, they will still say that.
“Politics is about service. It gives you opportunity to practice what you preach. Once you are able to win an elective position, particularly, executive position, you can practice what you preach. You can make their lives better. You can improve your environment.”

Ibadanman as governor
“The Ibadan are not against Ogbomoso or Oke-Ogun from coming to rule the state. In fact, Ibadan is one of the most accommodating towns in this country. If you can look at this my area, out of about 100 houses you will see around here, maybe the Ibadan are having about 16, the rest are owned by outsiders. Go to other towns you won’t see that mixture. That is socially.
“Politically, the first civillian governor of Oyo State, Chief Bola Ige did not come from Ibadan. All Ibadan are saying is that, ‘for God sake if you are going to give us somebody from your side, let him be of good quality.’

“You cannot imagine that the same office that the late Chief Obafemi Awolowo used to sit is where Akala is sitting now. The same place where Ige used to sit is where Akala is sitting now. There are thousands of people from Ogbomoso that are very brilliant with good quality, with good pedigree. Go and see their track records professionally. Those are the people we are talking about. Not half baked, half educated governors that cannot speak good English for 30 minutes.
“It is not English that we are talking about. We are saying that we need quality people. The Ibadan are very much in support of any citizen of the state who aspires to rule the state.

That person must be of the best quality. He must be of the higher standard. I’m saying, if you look at the standard of the likes of Awolowo, Ige, and of recent Alhaji Lam Adesina, and others.
“It will be an irony of history that the same seat they occupied is now being occupied by the likes of Akala. Is this the best quality we can get from Ogbomoso? Looking at his pedigree, looking at his educational background, looking at his professional background, is that the best we can get from Ogbomoso? That is what Ibadan people are asking.

“I’m not the only one that can be governor of this state. I’m saying let’s look for quality from any side of the state. It is not a disadvantage from Ibadan. The generality of the state are looking for good quality. The state is not a parochial. It is a state that looks at merit. Based on merit, they will vote for you.
“Otherwise, I wouldn’t have won in Oyo town. Why didn’t Akala win there? The only place where he claimed to have won was Ogbomoso, where he came from. They were scoring 98% voters turn out when the rest of the state scored 30% voters turn out. You don’t need a rocket sign to know that Akala didn’t win that election. I know and he knows.”

Akala’s second term bid is an abomination
“His performance does not qualify him for a second term. In fact, it doesn’t even qualify him to finish his first term. But, Nigeria, being what it is, he is still there. His second term is for me, an abomination and discussing it is very disturbing as well. I don’t believe he will have any chance of second term. I’m saying that he has not done well. He doesn’t deserve it. If he tries it, he will fail.”

Lam Adesina and I
“The relationship is very cordial. I have spoken with him severally. I go to his house at least once a week. Don’t forget, he is an uncle to me. He was my teacher, my political mentor, and he was very nice to me in school.
“The moment I sat down, I said, ‘uncle, look omode ni mo oyin je ko mara lowo (no matter how careful a child is, he can’t lick honey without a bit of it touching his finger). In return he said, ‘my dear, you are forgiven.’ He has been so magnanimous. He has been very nice. That is why I’m very proud of him.”
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by nwabobo: 10:03pm On Apr 22, 2012
Truly, they are not.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by malachytochukwu(m): 1:48pm On May 21, 2013
The tone of the writer is glaringly envious and grossly 'un-statistical' He just bared his hatred for the igbos. Of course no body is disagreeing to the fact that S.eastern states stil need some level of industralization however, I want to quickly draw your attention to d fact that what U̶̲̥̅̊ saw on ground is developmnt dat came after the massive destruction of wat was formerly on ground before the civil war. It pleases me to also remind ur smal mind that all the states U̶̲̥̅̊ mentioned to be more developd than the esterns states are oil-production states. Every rat and rabbit in Nigeria knows that the FG allocation to these states are different with those of the oil-producing states being more 'oily' In any case, thanks for pointing that out. I hope d affected states have taken note. Next time,Sound more like a nigerian rather than a tribalistic nigerian. Ekenem umu nnem no ebea
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by holysina(m): 5:53pm On May 21, 2013
TewMuch: ^^^
Why was it institutionalized please? We would like to be enlightened further, and while you are explaining bear in mind that Igbo people accepted quota system and were instrumental in creating the entity called Nigeria they are now trying desperately to run from.Na lie, una no fit go anywhere.We go all suffer together, what Igbo and Hausa join together let no man put asunder.hehe

hahahahahahahahaha fall from the couch and still laughing. My guy u funny die, abi na force to suffer together? cheesy
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by vanbonattel: 6:08pm On May 21, 2013
holy sina:
hahahahahahahahaha fall from the couch and still laughing. My guy u funny die, abi na force to suffer together? cheesy

Who is complaining? The person who opened the thread is not Igbo, we are cool.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

My Oil Firm Got No Kobo Of Subsidy From Fg -jimoh Ibrahim / Fulani Nomads, Soldiers Kill Four In N’delta / DUTSE ...from Village To City

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.