Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,333 members, 7,954,351 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 05:16 PM

Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP (39263 Views)

Hadi Sirika: Wike Has No Right To Order Arrest Of Pilots / Seyi Makinde: Not A Dime Of Oyo Money Will Go To Lagos, They Have No Right / Awara Biokpomabo: INEC Has No Right To Halt My Victory (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by Jackossky(m): 1:17pm On May 18, 2018
tete7000:

You don't challenge people when you don't have what it takes to handle the consequence. Consequence e le gbemi eni.

Highly veracious
Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by cashlurd(m): 2:06pm On May 18, 2018
Daboomb:

I think l am just very unlucky because l always pray that l should encounter one of these 'stop & search' my phone SARS team but so far, l have never been lucky! angry angry

My phones (One HTC, One Samsung and one old Iphone) are all passworded and they contain very, very sensitive information, including bank pincodes, passwords, e.t.c.

Infact, my phones are hte most important items l have and l guard them seriously.
I want to see how that SARS officer will force me to enter my Pin codes, to unlock the phone, by force, without a valid warrant.
And he can be sure that he will see a lot of foreign calls on it as my phones are not just for making audio calls but are my own business tool.

I guess they do a sort of 'profiling', based on your appearance or how you speak to them, to decide who to search.

Maybe l will be lucky one day sha.

Bro, my advise to you is to stop praying for negatives. Nothing good comes out from those people. My phone too was passworded. I was ordered to unlock it. If you do not oblige, you may not live to tell the story. And when international calls start coming in, you become a yahoo yahoo boy automatically. Your End becomes almost inevitable. Do not do ITK with the Nigerian police. To be forewarned is to be fore-arned!

1 Like

Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by StrangeListing: 2:11pm On May 18, 2018
Let's hope they will listen.

http://strangelisting.info

Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by ejimatic: 2:56pm On May 18, 2018
Is it ideal to be collecting #50 from motorists everyday?is the IG not aware of this?
Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by talk2percy(m): 3:46pm On May 18, 2018
johnmartus:
grin
dey shine teeth now, u think say nah laughing matter, wait till u encounter these illiterate monsters.
Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by johnmartus(m): 4:07pm On May 18, 2018
cheesy bro I don encountered them once .
talk2percy:
dey shine teeth now, u think say nah laughing matter, wait till u encounter these illiterate monsters.
Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by CofOLandOfPeace(m): 5:03pm On May 18, 2018
chukzyfcbb:

lool not always bro.

sometimes you need to comport yourself and cooperate. I have quite a number of foreign numbers I got from various WhatsApp study group I am in. and I haven't been asked before how I got them.

Most people have VPN on their phone, will you now say SARS will arrest one because he has the VPN app? it's all bout how you present yourself.
Check our signature in blue here below and you will be better enlightened. You can contact us by clicking the WhatsApp Chat link...
Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by sybarite7(m): 5:30pm On May 18, 2018
This same issue came up sometime ago here on NL,but a police officer here on NL said its legal ,he goes by the name SUPOL

Here is a link to that thread
https://www.nairaland.com/3364127/does-police-constitutional-right-go/3#49583727
Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by talk2percy(m): 6:24pm On May 18, 2018
johnmartus:
cheesy bro I don encountered them once .
grin I thank God for ur life
Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by maasoap(m): 10:10pm On May 18, 2018
chukzyfcbb:

lool not always bro.

sometimes you need to comport yourself and cooperate. I have quite a number of foreign numbers I got from various WhatsApp study group I am in. and I haven't been asked before how I got them.

Most people have VPN on their phone, will you now say SARS will arrest one because he has the VPN app? it's all bout how you present yourself.

If they want to extort you, vpn app is enough for them. They won't even listen to your explanation. Mind you, they know exactly what they are doing and why they are doing it. A lot of people have shared many funny experiences.
Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by SUPOL(m): 1:21am On May 19, 2018
sybarite7:
This same issue came up sometime ago here on NL,but a police officer here on NL said its legal ,he goes by the name SUPOL

Here is a link to that thread
https://www.nairaland.com/3364127/does-police-constitutional-right-go/3#49583727
D provisions of the police act and regulations empowers any police officer to stop and search anyone he suspects of any criminal activity. This includes his or her personal belongings.
Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by Daboomb: 8:05am On May 19, 2018
chukzyfcbb:

lool not always bro.

Like l said, l think they look at you properly before making a decision that you are likely to be a yahoo-Boy!
It iscalled 'Profiling', in security circles....bu tl think it is still wrong.

Only two thing scare the Nigeria Police: Overwhelming force and/or Money.
I have both at my disposal so why or how can they even dream of stopping me for a search.
Even if l was 'lucky' to be stopped and searched (God knows how many foreign numbers, my own foreign bank details and business contacts are on my phones) NOTHING of such will be seen on my phone. It is there but it is not visible.

For those who dont (the majority), let me suggest that you do something to protect yourself, even if you have foreign numbers or Emails in your phone (l am not advocating this for criminals of Yahoo-Boys, it is meant for the innocent lads that such thing sget into trouble).

There are Apps that you install on your phone which creates a 'Passworded Container" (like a folder).
This is like a Vault where you can "cut and paste" all your important stuffs or things you dont want others to see.
The good thing about 'containers' is that it is there in the phone but it is invisible until you launch the App and put the correct password!

You can also hide important documents in ordinary pictures (like pictures of Ronaldo or Messi grin ) and no one will know that there is more information 'inside the picture' when they look at it.
All these tools are there for you to use, I dont see any of these semi-illiterate SARS or Police having such knowledge.
Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by Daboomb: 8:18am On May 19, 2018
SUPOL:
D provisions of the police act and regulations empowers any police officer to stop and search anyone he suspects of any criminal activity. This includes his or her personal belongings.

So, how do you arrive at that "suspicion of criminal activity"?
By dresscode?
By hairstyle?
Because that person is carrying Backpack?
Because the person is 'male and young'?
Because they have Tattoo or use ear-rings?
Because they are carrying a Laptop?

FYI, all the above can be found in very decent and honest people who have nothing to do with crime.
That means your "suspicion is SUBJECTIVE" and therefore unreasonable.

'Criminal activity' by itself are clearly defined in law, as unlawful acts or acts proscribed by law.
That means it is not a question of "suspicion", it is either that person is engaged in a criminal activity (which you must observe and identify clearly), or they are not doing anything criminal.

There must be a prema-facie case established, before you can suspect someoen of criminal activity.
For example, if someone is carrying an "unwrapped knife" in public, you can suspect of criminal activity because "it is not expected that they would carry such in public, without wrapping it up (showing that it is not ready for use, say incase of where it is just purchased).
That is the prema facie" that you require (a very definite and clear act) to then proceed to "Stop and search" the person.

But to just, out of some whim or hunch (which is usually driven by the need to harass extort them), ask somebody to stop for a search, especially the search of 'a very private property' like their phone, is just stupid and criminal on the part of any police man.

In saner climes, the Police usually work or do such things, based on 'advance intelligence'.
Our Policemen need to use more of their brain, use more of technology, intelligence gathering, analytics and similar modern tools of crime fighting to solve problem rather than be resorting to brutish and savage methods that portrays even them, as 'criminals in official uniform'.

BTW: Quote the section of the Police Act you are reffering to, for double verification and to 'dissect the context' of such powers, since laws are not made in isolation

1 Like

Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by Daboomb: 8:25am On May 19, 2018
cashlurd:

Bro, my advise to you is to stop praying for negatives. Nothing good comes out from those people. My phone too was passworded. I was ordered to unlock it. If you do not oblige, you may not live to tell the story. And when international calls start coming in, you become a yahoo yahoo boy automatically. Your End becomes almost inevitable. Do not do ITK with the Nigerian police. To be forewarned is to be fore-arned!

You people just use words loosely, in a publci domain.
How is saying l have never been searched, amount to doing ITK?
But that is by the way.

What concernes me is WHY were you stopped in the first place, before they asked you to unlock your phone?
Where you engaged in a 'suspicious activity' ab initio, that warranted the attention on you or did they just pick on you randomly?
Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by cashlurd(m): 8:52am On May 19, 2018
Daboomb:

You people just use words loosely, in a publci domain.
How is saying l have never been searched, amount to doing ITK?
But that is by the way.

What concernes me is WHY were you stopped in the first place, before they asked you to unlock your phone?
Where you engaged in a 'suspicious activity' ab initio, that warranted the attention on you or did they just pick on you randomly?

It's a random picking stuff... I guess it stems from appearance and body carriage mostly.
Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by sybarite7(m): 1:59pm On May 19, 2018
SUPOL:
Thanks sir,I appreciate this explanation very well
Re: Police Has No Right To Search Your Phone Without Valid Complaint - IGP by SUPOL(m): 9:18pm On May 19, 2018
Daboomb:

So, how do you arrive at that "suspicion of criminal activity"?
By dresscode?
By hairstyle?
Because that person is carrying Backpack?
Because the person is 'male and young'?
Because they have Tattoo or use ear-rings?
Because they are carrying a Laptop?

FYI, all the above can be found in very decent and honest people who have nothing to do with crime.
That means your "suspicion is SUBJECTIVE" and therefore unreasonable.

'Criminal activity' by itself are clearly defined in law, as unlawful acts or acts proscribed by law.
That means it is not a question of "suspicion", it is either that person is engaged in a criminal activity (which you must observe and identify clearly), or they are not doing anything criminal.

There must be a prema-facie case established, before you can suspect someoen of criminal activity.
For example, if someone is carrying an "unwrapped knife" in public, you can suspect of criminal activity because "it is not expected that they would carry such in public, without wrapping it up (showing that it is not ready for use, say incase of where it is just purchased).
That is the prema facie" that you require (a very definite and clear act) to then proceed to "Stop and search" the person.

But to just, out of some whim or hunch (which is usually driven by the need to harass extort them), ask somebody to stop for a search, especially the search of 'a very private property' like their phone, is just stupid and criminal on the part of any police man.

In saner climes, the Police usually work or do such things, based on 'advance intelligence'.
Our Policemen need to use more of their brain, use more of technology, intelligence gathering, analytics and similar modern tools of crime fighting to solve problem rather than be resorting to brutish and savage methods that portrays even them, as 'criminals in official uniform'.

BTW: Quote the section of the Police Act you are reffering to, for double verification and to 'dissect the context' of such powers, since laws are not made in isolation
A lawyer should know d Law. Are u saying there’s no such provision in d Police Act. Meanwhile note the word “unnecessarily” in statement above, “Officers have been lectured not to UNNECESSARILY search people’s phones”. It Makes much difference.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Great Oba Of Benin Is Dead / Pdp Collapses In Rivers State As Wike Is Deserted - PM News / Obasanjo Drops Bombshell On Successors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.