Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,189 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:59 AM

Aganga: Nigeria’s Total Public Debt Now N4trillion - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Aganga: Nigeria’s Total Public Debt Now N4trillion (3844 Views)

Nigeria's Debt Now N12.12tn - DMO / GEJ's Achievements: Aganga, Iweala, Nebo, Adesina & Madueke Give Accounts / States' Public Debt Stock Is N1.8 Trillion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Aganga: Nigeria’s Total Public Debt Now N4trillion by mbulela: 8:05am On May 31, 2010
From Kunle Aderinokun in Abuja, 05.31.2010

Finance Minister Dr. Olusegun Aganga said at the weekend that Nigeria’s total domestic and external debt stood at N4.104 trillion (about $27.36 billion) as at March 31, 2010.

Also, the Director General of the Debt Management Office (DMO) Dr. Abraham Nwankwo put the total outstanding Federal Government Bonds as at April 30 2010, at N2.248 trillion.
These facts were contained in a report of proceedings of the recently-concluded International Forum on FG Bonds for Nigerians in Diaspora organized by the Debt Management Office in Houston, Texas, United States.

Aganga argued that the level of debt is still within the internationally accepted benchmark for measuring debt sustainability.
However, Nwankwo told Nigerians in the Diaspora that bonds were used to raise capital to finance deficits in the FG budget as well as raise funds to execute infrastructural projects: power, electricity and roads and social services such as health and education.

He said that it is used to manage the domestic debt portfolio of the FG more efficiently by elongating the tenor profile from predominantly short term (NTBs) to a combination of short, medium and long term.
Other purposes, according to the report, include “to contribute to the development of domestic financial markets in line with the Financial System Strategy (FSS) 2020, through, introduction of new products to deepen the market; increasing the range of instruments available to investors and creation of a sovereign yield curve to serve as a benchmark for other bond issuers."
Nwankwo said “bonds are generally recognized as instruments that can be used to diversify an investor’s portfolio to achieve stability in value and income."

He listed other benefits of bonds to investors to include “safety of principal and interest as these are guaranteed by the Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN); availability of a range of tenors which provides investors with the opportunity of choosing the bond that matches their investment horizon and relatively high returns.”

Nwankwo continued: "The bonds are tax exempt, implying bigger income in the hands of the investors; the bonds provide an alternative investment to equities, real estate and bank deposits; bonds can be used as collateral for borrowing from banks and discount houses and bonds can be sold either through any of the 21 PDMMs licensed by the DMO or on the floor of the NSE."
Nwankwo assured that the FG bond is a good instrument to invest in towards a target project such as property, children’s education, retirement and home-coming for Nigerians in the Diaspora.

In the report, Aganga, who was represented by the Nigerian Ambassador to the US Professor Adebowale Adefuye was said to have assured Nigerians in Diaspora that “FGN Bonds are high grade instruments that offer you many of the benefits other investment products in the market do not have."
He therefore, recommended it strongly.

Adefuye argued that apart from restoring sanity in the management of the country's debt, the DMO has gone beyond debt management by assuming a strategic role in mobilizing resources for national development.
He added: “In this respect, the DMO has succeeded in raising funds for the provision of critical infrastructure in Nigeria , thereby demonstrating its capacity to collaborate with not only the government but also the private sector. This is indeed commendable.” he added.

“Today, I urge all Nigerians in the Diaspora, especially those of you in the US, to give a concrete expression to this theme by seizing the opportunity of this forum to network and exchange information and ideas about the FGN Bonds and investing in them”, Adefuye advised.
Re: Aganga: Nigeria’s Total Public Debt Now N4trillion by snowdrops(m): 11:24am On May 31, 2010
does anyone know the interest rates for these bonds? seems attractive if the governent will guarantees ones capital and interests
Re: Aganga: Nigeria’s Total Public Debt Now N4trillion by mbulela: 12:11pm On May 31, 2010
What kind of guarantee do you want?
Better factor in the sovereign risk before you buy o!
in response to your question, let me check the interest rate and get back.
Re: Aganga: Nigeria’s Total Public Debt Now N4trillion by matoyeh(m): 12:44pm On May 31, 2010
as far as they do the right thing at the right time, the right project at the appropriate time. no problem, we can pay it. when the whole debts was paid, what was our improvement, goodluck, i trust you, go onnn
Re: Aganga: Nigeria’s Total Public Debt Now N4trillion by PurestBoy(m): 12:51pm On May 31, 2010
Funny state grin
Re: Aganga: Nigeria’s Total Public Debt Now N4trillion by blacksta(m): 1:03pm On May 31, 2010
Nigeria: Sovereign Bond Issuance Brings US$537 Mil. for Nigerian Federal Government in Debt Auction

On 20 May 2010, Nigeria raised N80 billion (US$537 million) from the sale of 20-year, 5-year and 3-year sovereign bonds at its fifth debt auction of the year, according to a statement by Nigeria's Debt Management Office (DMO). Successful bids were allotted at the marginal rates of 10 percent, 9 percent and 8.25 percent respectively.

The 20-year note raised a total of 30 billion Naira, while the five-year and three-year denominations raised 25 billion Naira each. The original coupon rates of 5.5 percent for 3-year bonds, 4 percent for 5-year bonds and 8.5 percent for 20-year bonds “will be maintained,” the statement said.

This year Nigeria plans to sell 867.5 billion naira worth of bonds, just under a fifth of the 4.6 trillion planned for budget-deficit financing, said Abraham Nwankwo, Director General of the Debt Management Office.

http://www.mfw4a.org/news/news-details/2/nigeria-sovereign-bond-issuance-brings-us-537-mil-for-nigerian-federal-government-in-debt-auction.html
Re: Aganga: Nigeria’s Total Public Debt Now N4trillion by redsun(m): 2:19pm On May 31, 2010
The question we should be asking is what meaningful project did they use the debt incurred on?We know so far that the 16billion that was main for power generation project went into the pockets of obasanjo and his criminal cohorts.
Re: Aganga: Nigeria’s Total Public Debt Now N4trillion by AYODEJI4LOVE(m): 3:21pm On May 31, 2010
whao.is that money much.i tink all the money that this people stole from power will be able to pay that dept or all their meaniless allowances will do.by the way,wat did they use the money for.
Re: Aganga: Nigeria’s Total Public Debt Now N4trillion by AYODEJI4LOVE(m): 3:25pm On May 31, 2010
whao.is that money much.i tink all the money that this people stole from power will be able to pay that dept or all their meaniless allowances will do.by the way,wat did they use the money for.
Re: Aganga: Nigeria’s Total Public Debt Now N4trillion by redsun(m): 3:27pm On May 31, 2010
Nigerian debt are illusive,they are all in private accounts of nigerian politicians,in top european,america,carribeans banks and banks all over the world except nigeria.
Re: Aganga: Nigeria’s Total Public Debt Now N4trillion by abdulram: 4:32pm On May 31, 2010
Its 17 percent interest on the bonds. not a bad idea.
Re: Aganga: Nigeria’s Total Public Debt Now N4trillion by otokx(m): 4:41pm On May 31, 2010
I thought OBJ reduced our debt profile drastically; how come it is now as high as $27 billion dollars? What is happening?
Re: Aganga: Nigeria’s Total Public Debt Now N4trillion by paddylo1(m): 4:46pm On May 31, 2010
I thought OBJ reduced our debt profile drastically; how come it is now as high as $27 billion dollars? What is happening?

Theres a difference btw External and Internal debt

our external debt stock is only about $4billion. .

The rest of our debt profile is local. .
which is good. .because it allows u to finance your Infrastrucure needs with long term bonds
5yrs. . 10yrs. .20yrs

and most time when the debt is due, the debt is not paid back but just rolled for another tenor of 5/10 or 20

so we basically get long term funds. . pay only interest on it and use it to develop our country
also since its in naira. . .theoretically it can never be a problem
as the govt can raise taxes like VAT or do other things to raise the necessary naira to pay it off
Re: Aganga: Nigeria’s Total Public Debt Now N4trillion by Sunofgod(m): 5:03pm On May 31, 2010
And who is liable for all this debt - NIGERIANS?

Lets look forward to high taxation when the time to repay comes.

We all know there will be nothing tangible for these huge debts we incur - Apart from politicians bank accounts!

The Government (which frequently changes) is racking up these debts at the expense of the average Nigerian.

And how silly it was to employ an agent of 'Goldman Sachs (Notorius Financial Hitmen) to manange the finances of the country. Jonathan is not 'Sharp' at all.

This is just the start - Nigerians are secretly being sold out to the west!

Expect IMF intervention and sanctions soon as well as the consfication of all the oil and gas fields!
Re: Aganga: Nigeria’s Total Public Debt Now N4trillion by SEFAGO(m): 5:14pm On May 31, 2010
lol
Re: Aganga: Nigeria’s Total Public Debt Now N4trillion by Youngichou(m): 7:21pm On May 31, 2010
PurestBoy:

Funny state grin
lol real funny state
SEFAGO:

lol
not just lol but lol x 2
Re: Aganga: Nigeria’s Total Public Debt Now N4trillion by surugede(m): 9:01pm On May 31, 2010
mbulela:

From Kunle Aderinokun in Abuja, 05.31.2010

Finance Minister Dr. Olusegun Aganga said at the weekend that Nigeria’s total domestic and external debt stood at N4.104 trillion (about $27.36 billion) as at March 31, 2010.

Also, the Director General of the Debt Management Office (DMO) Dr. Abraham Nwankwo put the total outstanding Federal Government Bonds as at April 30 2010, at N2.248 trillion.

only, e no much now, 3 senators and 1 ministers can pay it for us if we need their assistance.
Re: Aganga: Nigeria’s Total Public Debt Now N4trillion by paddylo1(m): 12:22am On Jun 01, 2010
And who is liable for all this debt - NIGERIANS?

Lets look forward to high taxation when the time to repay comes.

We all know there will be nothing tangible for these huge debts we incur - Apart from politicians bank accounts!

The Government (which frequently changes) is racking up these debts at the expense of the average Nigerian.

And how silly it was to employ an agent of 'Goldman Sachs (Notorius Financial Hitmen) to manange the finances of the country. Jonathan is not 'Sharp' at all.

This is just the start - Nigerians are secretly being sold out to the west!

Expect IMF intervention and sanctions soon as well as the consfication of all the oil and gas fields!

[b]Pls stop making unnecessary noise

If u dont understand the difference btw local currency denominated debt and foreign currency debt why bother posting?

Like i told u all developed and serious developing countries need a functioning local bond market to attract long term funding

and anchor domestic yield curves

what matters is your debt to GDP ratio. . .which is rather too low if u ask me

If Nigerians are owed the debt in naira u dont need IMF for anything

as far as i am concerned Nigeria should borrow an additional $20billion
from the world bank @ 2-5% to be repaid in 10yrs
and use $10billion to build (10) 1,000MW power plants across the nation(@$1billion per plant)
$2billion to build up transmission infrastructure

and the balance of $8billion to improve our urban infrastructure
in cities accross Nigeria like Lagos,Ibadan,PH,Benin,Calabar,Enugu,Aba,Onitsha,Abuja,Ilorin,Kaduna,Sokoto,Kano,Yola,Jos,Maiduguri,and Makurdi

Thats 8cities up north,8cities in the south and Abuja
with cities like Lagos and Kano recieving the lion share of roads,railway lines,briidges and so on

I promise u if u do this u will double your growth rate and before 6yrs is gone u will comfortably pay off your loans
That is how developed countries got developed

In china they have a saying
"If u want to get developed. . build a road"
Infrastructure leads to wealth,but we are so far behind in what we need to do we have to start thinking outside the box
[/b]
Re: Aganga: Nigeria’s Total Public Debt Now N4trillion by davidif: 12:44am On Jun 01, 2010
omo, when would my home state start issuing bonds so that i can buy? abi them no sabi wetin bonds be? cry cry cry so so sad that everybody keeps waiting for federal govt allocation instead of seeking independence from the federal republic.
Re: Aganga: Nigeria’s Total Public Debt Now N4trillion by mbulela: 12:48am On Jun 01, 2010
paddy lo,
without joining sides with the comment you are attacking above, the problem is not the economics of a local bond market for fiscal measures.
The problem is the problem is the utilisation of such funds for the purposes meant.
If such funds are not utilised for rightful purposes as is the case,we find ourselves in a continous loop where our income (either throughj tax, which is not much considering Nigerians do not like paying taxes or through commodity and resources sales are used to service the bonds).
Secondly, with the sovereign risk inherent in our political system,i ask a risk averse investor will ask for a higher interest rate.
Re: Aganga: Nigeria’s Total Public Debt Now N4trillion by Emmyk(m): 12:58am On Jun 01, 2010
Anyways,
Re: Aganga: Nigeria’s Total Public Debt Now N4trillion by topkin(m): 10:50am On Jun 01, 2010
Onigbese govt! angry
Re: Aganga: Nigeria’s Total Public Debt Now N4trillion by yinkaoke(f): 11:32am On Jun 01, 2010
@ Paddy lo
I buy your idea, you are correct as explained but the challenge is If the fund generated is not use for its purpose then it become a loss to the country.
It will only be fine if all the fund so generated is used according to the budget expenditure i.e capital expenditures then there will be a basis for high tax and bills for electricity which of course will increase returns and you and I will be happy to pay our taxes since the amenities are there.
One thing I now for sure is that if thing are done the right way, its multiplier effect will be awesome as we can see in developed nation.
Fro the government,We are willing to pay more But give use good reasons to pay
Re: Aganga: Nigeria’s Total Public Debt Now N4trillion by paddylo1(m): 1:33pm On Jun 01, 2010
@ Paddy lo
I buy your idea, you are correct as explained but the challenge is If the fund generated is not use for its purpose then it become a loss to the country.
It will only be fine if all the fund so generated is used according to the budget expenditure i.e capital expenditures then there will be a basis for high tax and bills for electricity which of course will increase returns and you and I will be happy to pay our taxes since the amenities are there.
One thing I now for sure is that if thing are done the right way, its multiplier effect will be awesome as we can see in developed nation.
Fro the government,We are willing to pay more But give use good reasons to pay
[b]
yea our politicians always amaze me sometimes. . The fastest way to stay in power is to perform and ppl will want u there
i dont know what is so hard for them to realize. . .However i can only hope it gets better especially if GJ gets re-elected
not because i like him so much,but because we need continuity in policies. . we dont need another finance minister in 2011,or power minister or oil minister and so on that will come and start all over again and slow things down

Now heres a debt profile of various developing countries that are like us or we aspire to be like(COMPARED TO NIGERIA)
See Nigerias DEBT is still relatively small. .of course that is why we also still have a huge infrastructure deficit
because most countries borrow to improve infrastructure especially power,roads,subways and bridges because they cost so much to build

1. INDONESIA. . TOTAL PUBLIC DEBT OUTSTANDING. . $154 BILLION
GDP. . .$514 BILLION(Nominal)
DEBT TO GDP . .29.8%

2. MALAYSIA. . TOTAL PUBLIC DEBT OUTSTANDING. . $99 BILLION
GDP. . .$207 BILLION(Nominal)
DEBT TO GDP. . .47.8%

3. THAILAND. . TOTAL PUBLIC DEBT OUTSTANDING. . $122.2 BILLION
GDP. . .$266.4 BILLION(Nominal)
DEBT TO GDP. . .45.9%

4. BRAZIL. . TOTAL PUBLIC DEBT OUTSTANDING. . $692.6 BILLION
GDP. . .$1.48 TRILLION (Nominal)
DEBT TO GDP. . .46.8%

5. MEXICO. . . TOTAL PUBLIC DEBT OUTSTANDING. . $383 BILLION
GDP. . .$1.07 TRILLION (Nominal)
DEBT TO GDP. . .37.7%

6. EGYPT. . . TOTAL PUBLIC DEBT OUTSTANDING. . $150 BILLION
GDP. . .$188 BILLION (Nominal)
DEBT TO GDP. . . 79.8%

7. SOUTH. . . TOTAL PUBLIC DEBT OUTSTANDING. . .$99 BILLION
AFRICA GDP. . .$277.4 BILLION (Nominal)
DEBT TO GDP. . .35.7%

8. NIGERIA . . . TOTAL PUBLIC DEBT OUTSTANDING. . .$27.8 BILLION
GDP. . .$207 BILLION(Nominal)
DEBT TO GDP. . .13.8%

DATA IS 2009 ESTIMATES[/b]
Re: Aganga: Nigeria’s Total Public Debt Now N4trillion by mbulela: 1:01am On Jun 02, 2010
paddy lo,
good argument again and relevant stats at that.
You are still ignoring the fact that the infrastructure deficit is nolt just a result of low relative public debt but a result of waste, corruption and a lack of continuity in poicies.
If you measure the the value of infrastructure against public debt for each of the countries you mentioned, you get a clue to what i am talking about.
Increasing public debt is not directly related to better infrastructure.It might be in classic economic models but you and i know that the Nigerian case does not follow.

If i was a buying these bonds, the soverign risk inherent would drive me to request for higher rates as a lack of accountability and rampant corruption makes the state too unstable for the rates quoted above.
Re: Aganga: Nigeria’s Total Public Debt Now N4trillion by philip0906(m): 1:43am On Jun 02, 2010
Re: Aganga: Nigeria’s Total Public Debt Now N4trillion
The money they owe common man abi d one them owe oyinbo?

(1) (Reply)

PETITION TO RECONSTRUCT NIGERIANS's ARCHAEOLOGICAL PYRAMIDS / National Conference:Goodluck Jonathan's Plot To Secede From Nigeria / New Rainbow Town Under Serious Construction By Amaechi And First Bank Plc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.