Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,164 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:15 AM

PETITION TO RECONSTRUCT NIGERIANS's ARCHAEOLOGICAL PYRAMIDS - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PETITION TO RECONSTRUCT NIGERIANS's ARCHAEOLOGICAL PYRAMIDS (3831 Views)

Why Are Ohaneze Begging Buhari To Reconstruct "Already Built Roads" By Jonathan? / Nigerian Army Engineers Reconstruct Bridge Blown Up By Boko Haram / Adamawa Demand For N200bn To Reconstruct Facilities Destroyed By Boko Haram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

PETITION TO RECONSTRUCT NIGERIANS's ARCHAEOLOGICAL PYRAMIDS by macjive01: 10:30pm On Jun 29, 2011
NAIRALANDERS COULD WE ALL WRITE TO OUR CONSTITUENCY REPs TO  URGE GEJ TO PROVIDE FUNDS TO RECONSTRUCT NIGERIAN ARCHAEOLOGICAL PYRAMIDs.

''The Nsude pyramids in 1935.  These ten circular stepped pyramids were associated with the Uto deity and were made of mud.  Their reconstruction is needed.'' - Bournemouth University Archaeological team.

[img]http://mccoy.lib.siu.edu/jmccall/jones/igbo/arunsi10.JPG[/img]

Source:
http://csweb.bournemouth.ac.uk/africanlegacy/culture.htm
[img][/img]
Re: PETITION TO RECONSTRUCT NIGERIANS's ARCHAEOLOGICAL PYRAMIDS by macjive01: 10:38pm On Jun 29, 2011
[img]http://mccoy.lib.siu.edu/jmccall/jones/igbo/arunsi11.JPG[/img]

Now I am shocked that in all my years of existence I never knew that Igbo people built pyramids, nothing like the gigantic Egyptian pyramids but pyramids nonetheless.

The picture above shows the late G.I Jones in front of a pyramid. He was was a Welsh photographer and anthropologist. His photographs of life in Nigeria in the 1930s, taken whilst serving as a colonial civil servant, led to an interest in ethnology and a second career as an academic at the University of Cambridge.

I am just so shocked that if i hadn't found G.I Jones archives then I would never had found out this amazing piece of out history. I wonder if these pyramids still exist, very unlikely. Knowing Nigerians and their utter disregard for preservation of anything, they have leveled the pyramids and erected some vulgarity on it.

Me I love the white man o!I love the fact that they would come to an unknown land and fall in love with the people and culture even in the most treacherous conditions. People like Mary Slessor who risked her life for strangers.

Most of the pictures I have seen which show my people in the 30's and 1900's were taken by some colonial guy. G.I Jones your are my hero of the month for giving me a glimpse into the past.

http://mccoy.lib.siu.edu/jmccall/jones/
Re: PETITION TO RECONSTRUCT NIGERIANS's ARCHAEOLOGICAL PYRAMIDS by EzeUche1(m): 10:39pm On Jun 29, 2011
The ancient Igbos were truly great. shocked
Re: PETITION TO RECONSTRUCT NIGERIANS's ARCHAEOLOGICAL PYRAMIDS by macjive01: 10:43pm On Jun 29, 2011
This is a Nigerian Project! not igbo just same way zuma rock is not for niger state people.
Re: PETITION TO RECONSTRUCT NIGERIANS's ARCHAEOLOGICAL PYRAMIDS by Nobody: 10:45pm On Jun 29, 2011
Interesting.

So what happened to them?
Re: PETITION TO RECONSTRUCT NIGERIANS's ARCHAEOLOGICAL PYRAMIDS by macjive01: 10:52pm On Jun 29, 2011
could someone please attach the write up below in Wikipedia

The location of the pyramids were sacred, devoted and dedicated to a deity called Uto Nsude in Ugwu (hill) Uto village, one among the ten villages that made up of the (My) town called Nsude. The pyramid still exist till date, Its important to note that Nsude were noted for their victorious wars with their enemies of which other neighbouring town do hire them to fight for them when the needs occurs and in such cases ultimate victory is assured. The pyramids and its environ also serve meeting points when sensitive issue were to be discussed due to is location and obscurity during the reign of Eze Okwuluogha (EZE ONYE AMA NEKE) of Eke.

In Udi LGA Enugu State, the most popular clan is OSHIE Clan(Oshie Aniugwu), Osie Clan consist of the children of Agbaja i.e Oshe grand parent, Oshie married to NNUDE and they both had seven children altogether namely:,Nsude the worrior,as first son, followed by Eke from where the legend EZE ONYE AMA NEKE(Chief Onyeama n’Eke ) comes from, others were Nneke(the only daughter of Oshie)followed by Udi, Abia, Amaokwe (its not clear what made some part of AMaokwe to be excluded from among oshie clan up till today) then the last son of oshie being OBOIMA is partly recognize as a son of Oshie due to various reason as I was informed,
1., It was said that OBIOMA the last son of Oshie eat Udele(Vulture) which was and is still forbidden in many communities world over till date, hence they were called OBIOMA NWAOSHIE OLI UDENE(Obioma the son of Oshie that eat Vulture) and this very offence resulted into many factor responsible for not according them ( Obioma)the rightly recognitions and place as true son of Oshie, which in turn was a result of my town Nsude doing intermarriage with Obioma as non relative.
Oshie communities except Obioma do not intermarry, for they are descended from one man; Intermarriage is totally forbidden between the people of Nsude, Eke, Amaokwe, Abia, and Udi.

The most notable high priest who serve Uto deity, Chief OKWESILIEZE 1 who was born on November 12th 1902 reliably told us that the reason behind the construction of the pyramids were as a result of frequent wars been engaged by Nsudians of the olden days, the Uto hill otherwise known as Udi hill being the highest hill was chosen to erect the pyramids which serves as surveillance platform for the warriors and that at the southern part of the pyramids were two entrance gates though not notable due to camouflage nature of the entrance to avoid unlawful entry by unauthorized person/s.

Its therefore, not true to the best of my knowledge that ''The Nsude pyramids was built in the year in 1935, the date suggested was rather the date the Europeans discovered the great pyramid during one of their exploration mission in Nsude, The exploration mission started in 1891,The white Brithish man named LUKE Walter whom we referred to (Luke nwa owerri) who did geographical survey and explorations for solid mineral in various places in Nsude including the UTO HILL.

Why i refute the assertion that the pyramid was built in 1935 was because the High priests whom i know very well told us that his father were among those that supervised the Constance repair and beatifications of the pyramid with local materials made of Red Ulo( Red starchy mud), Nsi Efi(Feces from cow) and Obara(A Local dye tapped from tree) and that his father was not born when the said pyramid was constructed.

The commander of Nsude warrior through out the reign of Chief Onyeama n’Eke is UTO a strong man from the Ugwu (hill)village named after the warrior Uto which subsequently bear its name till date as Uwgu Uto VILLAGE, during one of the most fearful war with Chief Onyeama n’Eke `s enemy.before he died in the battle among the promises made to him (Uto) was that the Uto hill will be consecrated and serve as his memorial place, he was buried there and up till today a week long ceremony were set aside to worship and commemorate his bravado by all of Oshie sons and daughter called NKWA DAY which is one of the greatest Nsude feast and festival ever recorded and best of all kind of festival in Enugu state till date. The mode of dressing during the Nkwa festive were likened to the one been worn by soldiers in battle, with total olden days military fatigues of all type, heavy noise commoted item like a mass of metal gong about 600 pieces sweed or tied together around the waist to generate heavy noise as it clashed spontaneously, these method adopted made our enemies to cower in fright coppled with 25mm x 3ft Dane gun used in those wars added to the famous Okpo Na Ani(Ground Granade) made with local Charcoal Gun Powder and palm kanel fronds.

These feast is cerebrated on Uka Afor market day on the beginning /middle of November every two years, you need to witness this festival to understand what am talking about, if you happen to be in Ogbete, New/Old market or infact every other motor parks Enugu State be least assured that you will never get a bus to other destination other than the ones going to Nsude for the Nkwa festival.

Onyeama was born around 1870s, the youngest of the ten children of Özö Omulu Onwusi,from EKE town in Udi LGA Enugu State Nigeria.

Chief Onodugo based in Europe
Re: PETITION TO RECONSTRUCT NIGERIANS's ARCHAEOLOGICAL PYRAMIDS by EzeUche1(m): 10:55pm On Jun 29, 2011
macjive01:

This is a Nigerian Project! not igbo just same way zuma rock is not for niger state people.

No comparison between Zuma rock which was made by nature and these pyramids that was created by MAN.
Re: PETITION TO RECONSTRUCT NIGERIANS's ARCHAEOLOGICAL PYRAMIDS by macjive01: 11:03pm On Jun 29, 2011
Ezeuche abeg dont derail this thread with such attitude. (by the way who is comparing and counting scores? )

i will repeat again; This shud be a national project.

shud be included in the next supplementary budge that is more than sure to pop up sometime in Aug/Sept.

If only dame. if only DR dame was artistic, a lover of art and historic artifacts. .  .   .    .
Re: PETITION TO RECONSTRUCT NIGERIANS's ARCHAEOLOGICAL PYRAMIDS by mensdept: 11:51pm On Jun 29, 2011
I disagree.

It's simply not a priority. There are more things to "reconstruct", and you can begin with MMI International, where there's no AC in many areas.
Re: PETITION TO RECONSTRUCT NIGERIANS's ARCHAEOLOGICAL PYRAMIDS by macjive01: 1:11am On Jun 30, 2011
mens dept:

I disagree.

It's simply not a priority. There are more things to "reconstruct", and you can begin with MMI International, where there's no AC in many areas.

An least setting up a commission to repair and manage our cultural and heritage wouldnt and shudnt cost Billions.

IMO i think it is of great importance to preserve these monument for posterity. They are priceless.
Re: PETITION TO RECONSTRUCT NIGERIANS's ARCHAEOLOGICAL PYRAMIDS by Rossikk(m): 1:15am On Jun 30, 2011
macjive01 said

Me I love the white man o!I love the fact that they would come to an unknown land and fall in love with the people and culture even in the most treacherous conditions. People like Mary Slessor who risked her life for strangers.

You must be a complete MOR.ON to write this comment. Was it not your beloved white man who destroyed these civilizations you're here oohing and aahing about? Did you hear what happened to Benin in 1897? Have you idea how many people were murdered in cold blood just for these vultures to steal our land and resources and exploit same for a hundred years, leaving us with nothing?

And then some white chic takes a picture beside some relic and its[i] ''oh I love the white man so much!!''[/i]

OLODO.

1 Like

Re: PETITION TO RECONSTRUCT NIGERIANS's ARCHAEOLOGICAL PYRAMIDS by macjive01: 2:18am On Jun 30, 2011
^^^ and since then what have you done to resuscitate and revive those culture and artifacts ?

do we even have a national museum in that country ?

we get big problem man!
Re: PETITION TO RECONSTRUCT NIGERIANS's ARCHAEOLOGICAL PYRAMIDS by macjive01: 8:52am On Jun 30, 2011
Mod, cud u move this post to the front please.
Re: PETITION TO RECONSTRUCT NIGERIANS's ARCHAEOLOGICAL PYRAMIDS by macjive01: 12:28pm On Jul 01, 2011
seun does this topic not deserve the front page ?
Re: PETITION TO RECONSTRUCT NIGERIANS's ARCHAEOLOGICAL PYRAMIDS by houvest: 2:47pm On Jul 01, 2011
Quite revealing. OI only knew that the pyramids were associated with the ancient egyptians and Aztecs. Did not know Igbos had such. More investigations need be done on ancient Igbo history.
Re: PETITION TO RECONSTRUCT NIGERIANS's ARCHAEOLOGICAL PYRAMIDS by mensdept: 1:26am On Jul 02, 2011
macjive01:

An least setting up a commission to repair and manage our cultural and heritage wouldnt and shudnt cost Billions.

IMO i think it is of great importance to preserve these monument for posterity. They are priceless.

Agree that it's important to preserve,
Disagree that it's a priority
Re: PETITION TO RECONSTRUCT NIGERIANS's ARCHAEOLOGICAL PYRAMIDS by hakanai(m): 1:32am On Jul 02, 2011
I knew it,the Igbos made contact with the aliens !!!! grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: PETITION TO RECONSTRUCT NIGERIANS's ARCHAEOLOGICAL PYRAMIDS by aljharem3: 2:05am On Jul 02, 2011
haka_nai:

I knew it,the Igbos made contact with the aliens !!!! grin grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin

but on a serious note the government should look into this and this so called pyramid looks like a cone to me undecided
Re: PETITION TO RECONSTRUCT NIGERIANS's ARCHAEOLOGICAL PYRAMIDS by dempeople(m): 2:13am On Jul 02, 2011
@OP

I'm a bit ashamed that throughout my existence, I've never known about Nsude pyramids until now.

And to cap it all, I thought I had a near-perfect knowledge of Igbo history. undecided
Re: PETITION TO RECONSTRUCT NIGERIANS's ARCHAEOLOGICAL PYRAMIDS by macjive01: 10:09am On Jul 02, 2011
people in talking terms with the Mods and seun shud get them to move this thread to the front page. a little awareness would do nobody any harm rather it wud promote the cause to gather attention to this archaeological relic .
Re: PETITION TO RECONSTRUCT NIGERIANS's ARCHAEOLOGICAL PYRAMIDS by Mobinga: 10:52am On Jul 02, 2011
Stop smoking. Its bad for your health.
Of all things to think of, its this?
Give me your fathers phone number.
Re: PETITION TO RECONSTRUCT NIGERIANS's ARCHAEOLOGICAL PYRAMIDS by Mobinga: 10:54am On Jul 02, 2011
Re: PETITION TO RECONSTRUCT NIGERIANS's ARCHAEOLOGICAL PYRAMIDS by EzeUche(m): 3:08pm On Jul 02, 2011
We have already discussed this topic and it belongs in the Culture Section.
Re: PETITION TO RECONSTRUCT NIGERIANS's ARCHAEOLOGICAL PYRAMIDS by houvest: 6:08pm On Jul 02, 2011
EzeUche:

We have already discussed this topic and it belongs in the Culture Section.

Please direct me to where it was discussed
Re: PETITION TO RECONSTRUCT NIGERIANS's ARCHAEOLOGICAL PYRAMIDS by Nobody: 7:18pm On Jul 02, 2011
Those look like giant turds grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: PETITION TO RECONSTRUCT NIGERIANS's ARCHAEOLOGICAL PYRAMIDS by naijaking1: 3:05am On Jul 03, 2011
macjive01:

seun does this topic not deserve the front page ?

Seconded shocked shocked shocked
Re: PETITION TO RECONSTRUCT NIGERIANS's ARCHAEOLOGICAL PYRAMIDS by Rossikk(m): 3:13am On Jul 03, 2011
macjive01 said:

^^^ and since then what have you done to resuscitate and revive those culture and artifacts ?

Educating folks like you!@

do we even have a national museum in that country ?

Yes we DO!

In fact we have MANY museums in the country, NONE of which you've visited. cool
Re: PETITION TO RECONSTRUCT NIGERIANS's ARCHAEOLOGICAL PYRAMIDS by Rossikk(m): 3:18am On Jul 03, 2011
The Igbo pyramids are reminiscent of the Step Pyramid of Saqqara, in Egypt (const completed in 2648 BC), and without a doubt, derive from the same cultural/religious/philosophical tradition that inspired this ancient Egyptian monument.

Re: PETITION TO RECONSTRUCT NIGERIANS's ARCHAEOLOGICAL PYRAMIDS by naijaking1: 4:23am On Jul 03, 2011
^^^
So the question becomes 'did Igbos influence Egyptians, or Egyptians influenced Igbos'?
Re: PETITION TO RECONSTRUCT NIGERIANS's ARCHAEOLOGICAL PYRAMIDS by henry101(m): 4:53am On Jul 03, 2011
houvest:

Please direct me to where it was discussed

Here is the link, https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-52783.0.html
Re: PETITION TO RECONSTRUCT NIGERIANS's ARCHAEOLOGICAL PYRAMIDS by Rossikk(m): 6:30am On Jul 03, 2011
naijaking said:

So the question becomes 'did Igbos influence Egyptians, or Egyptians influenced Igbos'?

That's like asking if Igbos influenced Nigerians or Nigerians influenced Igbos.

Igbos, Yorubas, Akan, Ashanti, Hausa, Edo, Efik etc are all migrated Egyptians and Nile Valley inhabitants if you go back far enough. So it's impossible to say who influenced who.

Here's the founder and first pharaoh of Egypt, Narmer (or Menes) (3,700 BC)

The ancient Egyptians were majority black Africans, just like  Narmer of the first dynasty.

1 Like

Re: PETITION TO RECONSTRUCT NIGERIANS's ARCHAEOLOGICAL PYRAMIDS by AbuMaryam1(m): 7:00am On Jul 03, 2011
Agreed this caricature look like Igbo man, more especially the Nose, grin grin grin grin grin grin

Rossikk:

naijaking said:

That's like asking if Igbos influenced Nigerians or Nigerians influenced Igbos.

Igbos, Yorubas, Akan, Ashanti, Hausa, Edo, Efik etc are all migrated Egyptians and Nile Valley inhabitants if you go back far enough. So it's impossible to say who influenced who.

Here's the founder and first pharaoh of Egypt, Narmer (or Menes) (3,700 BC)

The ancient Egyptians were majority black Africans, just like  Narmer of the first dynasty.

(1) (2) (Reply)

UN House Bombing Was To Frustrate GEJ - CAN / The Senate Without Dora Akunyili / German Worker Kidnapped In Nigeria. Boko Haram?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.