Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,799 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:16 AM

Bbc Airing Another Lagos Documentary Tonight! ! ! ! - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bbc Airing Another Lagos Documentary Tonight! ! ! ! (3904 Views)

Court Restrains AIT From Airing Defamatory Tinubu Documentary / Court Restrains AIT, NTA From Airing‘damaging Video’ On Osinbajo / Tinubu To Sue AIT For Airing ‘Defamatory Documentary’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bbc Airing Another Lagos Documentary Tonight! ! ! ! by 2CatWoman: 11:15pm On May 31, 2010
Wily+Wily:

Corrupt Yorubas and Dirty Stinking Hausa/Fulani Gworo mouth turned Nigeria to a Garbage Land.

I believe the Jaja was um, from er, Igboland. Sorry mate.
Re: Bbc Airing Another Lagos Documentary Tonight! ! ! ! by waladis(m): 11:15pm On May 31, 2010
~Sauron~:

But why would anyone charge N3000 to tow a car - something he was supposed to do out of favour?
Nigerians take the piss when they see the opportunity to make something out of it.

I agree with the sister. . . . .That motorist is a wretched fool!!!
If you cannot do a favour, then don't HELP. . . .

This is ridiculous. They are not friends nor family, how do you expect someone to do a favour with his only source of income, they must have agreed to a certain amout before towing the car. The man might probably have many mouths to feed and moreover, can anyone tow a car for free in the UK? You just don't call a person who provided a service a wretched fool in front of the camera.
Re: Bbc Airing Another Lagos Documentary Tonight! ! ! ! by Sauron1: 11:19pm On May 31, 2010
waladis:

This is ridiculous. They are not friends nor family, how do you expect someone to do a favour with his only source of income, the man might probably have many mouths to feed and moreover, can anyone tow a car for free in the UK?

Very well. . . . . .People will tow a car for free in the UK.
The ones who cannot do it for free will rather not help and go their way.

Naija man will say. . . .Reh reh reh, i will help you to tow your car but as soon as they see you have a solid background, they start demanding for N3000 or N5000. What kinda nonsense is that?
Re: Bbc Airing Another Lagos Documentary Tonight! ! ! ! by waladis(m): 11:34pm On May 31, 2010
~Sauron~:

Very well. . . . . .People will tow a car for free in the UK.
The ones who cannot do it for free will rather not help and go their way.

Naija man will say. . . .Reh reh reh, i will help you to tow your car but as soon as they see you have a solid background, they start demanding for N3000 or N5000. What kinda nonsense is that?

People will tow a car for free in the UK   or you meant that they will stop and lend you their cell phone to call the AA?Wait a minute, when I said UK I meant United Kingdom and not United Arab Emirates.
Re: Bbc Airing Another Lagos Documentary Tonight! ! ! ! by Sauron1: 11:37pm On May 31, 2010
waladis:

People will tow a car for free in the UK or you meant that they will stop and lend you their cell phone to call the AA?Wait a minute, when I said UK I mean United Kingdom and not United Arab Emirates.

I thunk you meant United Katsina. . . . I didn't know you meant United Kingdom.
Nansense!!!
Re: Bbc Airing Another Lagos Documentary Tonight! ! ! ! by Mariory(m): 12:24am On Jun 01, 2010
Why can't they focus on the people who actually keep Lagos moving (like working class, emerging middle class). I hope they do this in a future documentary.
Re: Bbc Airing Another Lagos Documentary Tonight! ! ! ! by Nobody: 1:18am On Jun 01, 2010
well, maybe it'll be on youtube.
Re: Bbc Airing Another Lagos Documentary Tonight! ! ! ! by baslone: 7:01am On Jun 01, 2010
Not there yet!
Re: Bbc Airing Another Lagos Documentary Tonight! ! ! ! by SEFAGO(m): 7:06am On Jun 01, 2010
LOL, jaja of opobo's grand son or whatever pimping.

Corrupt Yorubas and Dirty Stinking Hausa/Fulani Gworo mouth turned Nigeria to a Garbage Land.

U no well. Have you seen Yoruba princes? they don't do this rubbish lol grin
Re: Bbc Airing Another Lagos Documentary Tonight! ! ! ! by Ibime(m): 7:55am On Jun 01, 2010
It was a decent programme jare. . . . the King in the title prolly refers to the boys ancestry rather than his level of wealth. . . .
Re: Bbc Airing Another Lagos Documentary Tonight! ! ! ! by waladis(m): 4:41pm On Jun 01, 2010
Re: Bbc Airing Another Lagos Documentary Tonight! ! ! ! by Eziachi: 6:03pm On Jun 01, 2010
It seems that with Nigerians, you can’t win. Last time, they showed those living in garbage dump, you shouted blue murder, now they decide to follow and show a privilege guy, a descendant of famous King Jaja of Opopo, whose parents were well-off enough to have afford his education in an English public school, probably on an annual school fee many of us dream of earning in a year. But has now went back to Nigeria and seems to be doing OK, considering everything, you are also complaining, that he is not rich enough, not handsome enough, not blinged enough for your show off Nigerian taste.
I remember the CNN showing Gov’ Silva of Bayelsa state showing off his amphitheatre or Peter Odili drinking his Cristal Champagne, you also complained. What exactly do some of you guys want? If you don’t like the BBC and its commissioned programmes paid by the British tax payers, why not watch NTA instead?
Re: Bbc Airing Another Lagos Documentary Tonight! ! ! ! by Kobojunkie: 6:09pm On Jun 01, 2010
Can anyone please load it up on Youtube so those of us not in the UK can see it, I mean the whole documentary>?
Re: Bbc Airing Another Lagos Documentary Tonight! ! ! ! by Sauron1: 6:11pm On Jun 01, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Can anyone please load it up on Youtube so those of us not in the UK can see it, I mean the whole documentary>?

Maybe you should relocate to the UK.
We are quite tired of loading up for you guys. grin grin grin grin
Re: Bbc Airing Another Lagos Documentary Tonight! ! ! ! by dayokanu(m): 6:18pm On Jun 01, 2010
Whats the documentary about self
Re: Bbc Airing Another Lagos Documentary Tonight! ! ! ! by Nobody: 6:19pm On Jun 01, 2010
a descendant of famous King Jaja of Opopo,

make we hear word abeg.

is opobo in lagos?
Re: Bbc Airing Another Lagos Documentary Tonight! ! ! ! by Sauron1: 6:20pm On Jun 01, 2010
dayokanu:

Whats the documentary about self

The grandson of Opobo came to Naija to tell us Lagos is tough.
Isn't that NEW to you? cheesy grin
Re: Bbc Airing Another Lagos Documentary Tonight! ! ! ! by dayokanu(m): 6:30pm On Jun 01, 2010
Jesus Christ of Olodumare!!!

Are people that bored nowadays? Boredom would be next to cancer in killer diseases very soon.

Thank God World cup starts soon.

I think I should make a documentary too that "Guns can kill"
Re: Bbc Airing Another Lagos Documentary Tonight! ! ! ! by Sauron1: 6:38pm On Jun 01, 2010
dayokanu:

Jesus Christ of Olodumare!!!

Are people that bored nowadays?  Boredom would be next to cancer in killer diseases very soon.

Thank God World cup starts soon.

I think I should make a documentary too that "Guns can kill"

I have sent several mails to BBC this morning telling them i have got a story to tell about Okada men in Nigeria and their livelihood.
I am going to do another on the pro[i]s[/i]titutes on Allen Avenue and why they have chosen that career path.
Then the chronicles of Kuramo Beach will be the grand finale of the TRILOGY.

The pay-out is about $50,000. cool
Re: Bbc Airing Another Lagos Documentary Tonight! ! ! ! by denzel2009: 6:46pm On Jun 01, 2010
~Sauron~:

I have sent several mails to BBC this morning telling them i have got a story to tell about Okada men in Nigeria and their livelihood.
I am going to do another on the pro[i]s[/i]titutes on Allen Avenue and why they have chosen that career path.
Then the chronicles of Kuramo Beach will be the grand finale of the TRILOGY.

The pay-out is about $50,000. cool

Those ones are not gripping enough jare, I know a woman in Isale-eko who fries Akara with blood and an Alhaja in Adeniji that sells Amala and Orisirisi meat, she doesnt stir her stew cos theres a charm at the bottom of the pot.

Sauron, we can make money with these findings oh if you are game.
Re: Bbc Airing Another Lagos Documentary Tonight! ! ! ! by Sauron1: 6:53pm On Jun 01, 2010
denzel2009:

Those ones are not gripping enough jare, I know a woman in Isale-eko who fries Akara with blood and an Alhaja in Adeniji that sells Amala and Orisirisi meat, she doesnt stir her stew cos theres a charm at the bottom of the pot.

Sauron, we can make money with these findings oh if you are game.

I am waiting for their reply.
As soon as they ratify it. . . .I will contact you.
Lagos, here i come. . . . . . . .Who knows we can even add an exclusive footage of Seun Osewa to the DO as jara.
Re: Bbc Airing Another Lagos Documentary Tonight! ! ! ! by denzel2009: 7:02pm On Jun 01, 2010
~Sauron~:

I am waiting for their reply.
As soon as they ratify it. . . .I will contact you.
Lagos, here i come. . . . . . . .Who knows we can even add an exclusive footage of Seun Osewa to the DO as jara.

It has to do with the packaging jo. Do you think all those big boys that must eat Amala Shitta every day or Bank Olemoh designer rice na ordinary eyes?

Don't let me go on about menumo at Surantapa!

Then we move to Ibadan to visit Iya Ope or inastreit where they inscribe gbere on fresh fish. If enter one of those restaurant with 50k, you have to go home with just the rubber band or bank wrapper.

My man get your connections fast we gast to make dough!
Re: Bbc Airing Another Lagos Documentary Tonight! ! ! ! by Sauron1: 7:13pm On Jun 01, 2010
denzel2009:

It has to do with the packaging jo. Do you think all those big boys that must eat Amala Shitta every day or Bank Olemoh designer rice na ordinary eyes?

Don't let me go on about menumo at Surantapa!

Then we move to Ibadan to visit Iya Ope or inastreit where they inscribe gbere on fresh fish. If enter one of those restaurant with 50k, you have to go home with just the rubber band or bank wrapper.

My man get your connections fast we gast to make dough!

Don't sweat it. . . . . .
I will holler your BB when the green lights FLASH.
Re: Bbc Airing Another Lagos Documentary Tonight! ! ! ! by waladis(m): 8:52pm On Jun 01, 2010
[size=24pt]Naijablog [/size]

[size=14pt]Tuesday, June 01, 2010[/size]

[size=16pt]The New Kings of Nigeria[/size]

The Storyville documentary "The New Kings of Nigeria" on BBC 4 last night was a sore disappointment. It was hard to know what the thing was about. As the minutes ticked by, any hopes that a theme would emerge drained away. The focus was most of the time on the great grandson of King Jaja of Opobo, a young chap called Walter. Walter had just returned from an expensive education and a stint selling electrical appliances in Jand which he seemed proud of. He was now being shoed in to a role producing reality tv shows and music videos. He seemed to know little more than anyone else about his ancestor, resorting to the internet to find out pictures. It might have been nice to have had him return to Bonny and be greeted by the locals or provide some kind of context beyond interviewing his sister at the Boat Club.

However, the title of the doc suggested that there were other Kings who were going to be featured and that the story would extend beyond Lagos. Walter's story, as a repat living with his sister on the mainland, is hardly the typical elite case. The New Kings of Nigeria might then have focused on Nigerians returning to live in Lekki and working in either banking, telecoms or starting their own business. It might have dwelled on places such as Ikoyi Club and the Polo Club and their new members. It might then have asked the question of whether the diaspora was/is helping to develop Nigeria, at the same time as looking at the contrasts between lives back in the UK and new generator driven lives in Lagos. It might even have asked into the backgrounds of the elite and how many generations the privilege extends back. The theme might have developed into whether there is a two tier class system that has developed thanks to returnees lording it over the natives and to get perspectives from both sides.

We had none of this. Instead, we had endless headshots of Walter lolling about in the back of a chauffered car or in his room, extolling his undeveloped views in his public schoolboy brogue. We were treated to Walter's adolescent analysis of polygamy and poverty. The lighting was terrible; much of the time you couldn't really see his face. Clearly, the crew hadn't brought any basic lighting equipment with them. The lack of a narrator added to the general sense of helpless drift (you have to be bloody good to avoid a narratorial voice).

One was left thinking two thoughts in parallel: what kind of public schoolboy network ties to the Storyville's Series editor Nick Fraser had allowed this piece of amateurish tosh to get on the usually excellent BBC4? And: the film about the new colonialism of the Lagos elite has yet to be made. It was not a patch on Welcome to Lagos.

http://naijablog..com/2010/06/new-kings-of-nigeria.html
Re: Bbc Airing Another Lagos Documentary Tonight! ! ! ! by Spader9(m): 8:54pm On Jun 01, 2010
Much like the old kings
Re: Bbc Airing Another Lagos Documentary Tonight! ! ! ! by shotster50(m): 11:24pm On Jun 01, 2010
Didnt miss much then,
Re: Bbc Airing Another Lagos Documentary Tonight! ! ! ! by Kobojunkie: 3:34pm On Jun 02, 2010
Anyone uploaded the videos yet?
Re: Bbc Airing Another Lagos Documentary Tonight! ! ! ! by DisGuy: 8:24pm On Jun 02, 2010
Mariory:

Why can't they focus on the people who actually keep Lagos moving (like working class, emerging middle class). I hope they do this in a future documentary.

WHY CANT YOU DO YOUR OWN ABI? WHY ARE YOU WAITING FOR THEM TO DO ANOTHER ONE THEYVE DONE THREE ALREADY!!!
Re: Bbc Airing Another Lagos Documentary Tonight! ! ! ! by DisGuy: 8:27pm On Jun 02, 2010
waladis:

It's annoying that the good and beautiful side of Nigeria was not shown on the programme. How can such documentary help or encourage the foreigners to come to Nigeria and Nigerians abroad to come home and invest.

DID THE NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT PAY FOR THIS DOCUMENTARY?? N8BILLION WAS SPENT ON N.T.A LATE LAST YEAR WHY CANT YOU ASK THEM TO COMMISSION DOCUMENTARIES?
Re: Bbc Airing Another Lagos Documentary Tonight! ! ! ! by Oba234: 8:45pm On Jun 02, 2010
can somebody post it for us living in the states.
Re: Bbc Airing Another Lagos Documentary Tonight! ! ! ! by DisGuy: 8:49pm On Jun 02, 2010
I think you'll have to wait a bit for someone to load it onto youtube the iplayer is only available for UK
cant remember how fast the 'welcome to Lagos' got on youtube

Are you sure you really want to watch it? its like watching an amateurish documentary on cheap camcorder!!

the thing is the BBC now realise how obsessed nigeria and other Africans are about the portrayal of  nigeria- protest letters, commentaries, viewing figures shooting up etc etc
Re: Bbc Airing Another Lagos Documentary Tonight! ! ! ! by waladis(m): 9:15pm On Jun 02, 2010
Dis Guy:

WHY CANT YOU DO YOUR OWN ABI? WHY ARE YOU WAITING FOR THEM TO DO ANOTHER ONE THEYVE DONE THREE ALREADY!!!

Dis Guy:

DID THE NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT PAY FOR THIS DOCUMENTARY?? N8BILLION WAS SPENT ON N.T.A LATE LAST YEAR WHY CANT YOU ASK THEM TO COMMISSION DOCUMENTARIES?

As much as I hate to admit, I must agree with you that you are right? Instead of complaining we should be looking for a way to improve our country image and turn the bad side of us into good so that the enemies can keep shut.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What's The State Of The Flooded Areas Now? / Lawyer Sues Buhari, APC, INEC Over Certificate Declaration / Diezani £13 Billion Funny Memes Trends On Twitter - Part II (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.