Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,908 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:51 AM

My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe (34346 Views)

Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. / The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad / What Africans Go Through In America By Adeola Fayehun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by victorvezx(m): 6:19pm On Jun 08, 2018
GiantParrot:

[s] I do not think the author says racism is okay. Racism is definitely not okay!But it already exists. Human beings are prejudiced. What could be our most effective weapon against this problem of racism that already exists? The author's solution is that we should put our house in order.

If your house is not in order you will have a bad reputation. There is no running away from that. People are prejudiced and will keep looking out for reasons to justify their prejudice. Our notoriety for corruption and lawlessness gives the prejudiced the justification they seek, and frankly makes some of those non-racists who are higher on the anxiousness scale to make rational decisions for their safety.

Put your house in order and people will have little choice but to respect you more. Will that end racism? Probably not. Will that reduce racism? Very likely. Most importantly, will the lives of the members of your household improve? Most definitely. [/s]
Inferiority complex opinion

1 Like

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by GiantParrot(m): 6:21pm On Jun 08, 2018
victorvezx:

Inferiority complex opinion

Oh well, you offered no counterargument. Suit yourself.
Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by cooltola(m): 6:27pm On Jun 08, 2018
Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by egobetatoday: 6:28pm On Jun 08, 2018
When some people will keep chanting sai baba despite the harsh realities in Nigeria, how wont blacks suffer those stereotypes? Everything he does is good.
Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by GiantParrot(m): 6:30pm On Jun 08, 2018
victorvezx:

U agree with that fool? He just stated and believes white people are superior

Cold hard fact: as of today, based on group achievement, black people are by far the most inferior of all the races. No amount of emotional outburst can change that. The truth is there for even the most simple minded person to see. Could things change in future? who knows? Perhaps we could experiment by putting our house in order and checking the results.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by Mailthaddeus(m): 6:31pm On Jun 08, 2018
Abbeyme:
Racism is everywhere.
Even here in Nigeria

U can't have racism in Nigerian, u can only have tribalism.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by Delivar(m): 6:31pm On Jun 08, 2018
victorvezx:

Trash as usual. Africa has problems, but that does not justify why white people should disrespect and be racist towards us. U are the kind of black person black Americans call House negro.
Of course that should not justify racism but the truth is that is how the human mind works. When someone keeps behaving the way you don't like the natural impulse is for you to start hating the person. A lot of us hate Fulani herdsmen for all their atrocities. How would you feel if someone says it is not a justification for hating them? It would take someone with a great deal of good self conduct to accommodate those whose behaviour don't measure up to acceptable norms. Only few people posses this quality so we can't rely on that to stop racism.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by victorvezx(m): 6:32pm On Jun 08, 2018
GiantParrot:

Cold hard fact: as of today, based on group achievement, black people are by far the most inferior of all the races. No amount of emotional outburst can change that. The truth is there for even the most simple minded person to see. Could things change in future? who knows? Perhaps we could experiment by putting our house in order and checking the results.
I don't blame u sha, E dey ur head

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by mavinc4u(f): 6:42pm On Jun 08, 2018
deedeedee1:
Nobody hate black people. They are just viewed as inferior. Black people are believed to be closer to Apes. I wonder why I rarely see Asians complain about racism. The whites believe Asians are more intelligent than they are. Japan, China, South Korea, and even North Korea are technologically advanced. Their countries are extremely rich. The Asians have immense love for their culture and language. There is no respect for the black man at all. You want to know why? Because Africa, the origin of the black man is ensnared in famine, poverty, and underdevelopment. Another reason for this is because they created the countries we live in and we rever their language at the expense of ours. We must accept the fact that for black people to regarded and respected by other races, we must build Africa. But how can we build Africa when we have country like Nigeria that is filled with tribalism, hate, religion intolerance and killings? We should split Nigeria so that tribes that are compatible can live and grow together. The only way police brutality against African-Americans will stop is when we begin to have our Japan, China and Singapore in Africa. That is when the 'superior' whites will give Africans and her descendants respect.
This is my take

Your take is superb. I duff my hat for you.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by Nobody: 6:43pm On Jun 08, 2018
victorvezx:

I don't blame u sha, E dey ur head
prove him wrong,what has black race achieved compare to the white and asians?

1 Like

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by poseidon12: 6:49pm On Jun 08, 2018
Bidobado:

I disagree with the first statement that nobody hates black people.
Black people hate themselves first, followed by every other race on this planet.
We are hated because of our potential and what we have given this world, yes, black people gave this world a lot.
But I really don't understand the hatred for each other.. Evident here on nairaland with the afonja, Igbo abuses we witness daily.

You correctly stated that black people are hated. But I disagree with the reason you gave for the hatred. It is obviously not because of our potentials or what we have given to the world.
Rather, we are hated because of our underachievement. As the OP pointed out, the rest of the world will start having a positive impression of sub-saharan Africa if the African countries can start developing their countries like the Asians are doing. Respect is earned.
We need to wake up and start making impact on science and technology. If you check out the STEM faculties of the major research universities in North America, the student and faculty make-ups rarely include blacks. Usually predominantly Asians from China, South Korea, Taiwan, India (of course) and the indigenes. Nigeria, with an abundance of natural resources and a large population, remains one of the poorest in the world. How can anyone respect or love us.
We don't even seem to be able to run our country.
Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by victorvezx(m): 6:50pm On Jun 08, 2018
poseidon12:

[s] You correctly stated that black people are hated. But I disagree with the reason you gave for the hatred. It is obviously not because of our potentials or what we have given to the world.
Rather, we are hated because of our underachievement. As the OP pointed out, the rest of the world will start having a positive impression of sub-saharan Africa if the African countries can start developing their countries like the Asians are doing. Respect is earned.
We need to wake up and start making impact on science and technology. If you check out the STEM faculties of the major research universities in North America, the student and faculty make-ups rarely include blacks. Usually predominantly Asians from China, South Korea, Taiwan, India (of course) and the indigenes. Nigeria, with an abundance of natural resources and a large population, remains one of the poorest in the world. How can anyone respect or love us.
We don't even seem to be able to run our country. [/s]

1 Like

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by movetoca: 6:52pm On Jun 08, 2018
Bidobado:

I disagree with the first statement that nobody hates black people.
Black people hate themselves first, followed by every other race on this planet.
We are hated because of our potential and what we have given this world, yes, black people gave this world a lot.
But I really don't understand the hatred for each other.. Evident here on nairaland with the afonja, Igbo abuses we witness daily.
Everyday I feel like to stop visiting nairaland because of the Afonja,Igbo and other rubbish that comes out of the mouth of the so called youths. Nigeria racism/tribalism level is bigger than that of Eastern Europe or some other white countries.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by Nobody: 6:55pm On Jun 08, 2018
poseidon12:

You correctly stated that black people are hated. But I disagree with the reason you gave for the hatred. It is obviously not because of our potentials or what we have given to the world.
We don't even seem to be able to run our country.
Reason why I made that point is because throughout history, white people have sabotaged and continued to derail every positive attempt we make at moving forward. How many of our upright and sound leaders have been assassinated just because they refused to sell out.
The fact is, the whole world does not want the black man to succeed but by God's grace (whatever God you serve) we will rise again.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by Nobody: 6:58pm On Jun 08, 2018
movetoca:

Everyday I feel like to stop visiting nairaland because of the Afonja,Igbo and other rubbish that comes out of the mouth of the so called youths. Nigeria racism/tribalism level is bigger than that of Eastern Europe or some other white countries.

It is nauseating the amount of bigoted comments I come across daily. White people cannot believe the level of hatred we show each other.infact they are shocked at how depraved we are towards each other.
Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by mavinc4u(f): 7:01pm On Jun 08, 2018
Giddymoney:

Here in Nigeria, we have tribalism, we see other tribes as shit, this is common among the igbo folks, whenever they see an Hausa person, what you hear is ONYE HAUSA.

And now when they travel outside and the whites does the same they starts shouting RACISM upandan

First remove the tribalism in you before commenting because you are a strong tribal bigot and it has eaten deep inside you that you can't hide it no matter how you portray yourself. I will choose a white racist over a tribal bigot like you.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by Octaves(m): 7:04pm On Jun 08, 2018
Giddymoney:

Here in Nigeria, we have tribalism, we see other tribes as shit, this is common among the igbo folks, whenever they see an Hausa person, what you hear is ONYE HAUSA.

And now when they travel outside and the whites does the same they starts shouting RACISM upandan
wee you sharrap. what is derogatory in the term onye hausa. don't your folks have names for Igbo people or other tribes.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by movetoca: 7:46pm On Jun 08, 2018
Bidobado:

It is nauseating the amount of bigoted comments I come across daily. White people cannot believe the level of hatred we show each other.infact they are shocked at how depraved we are towards each other.
What I have seen in this forum is unbelievable. The level of hatred people display here can never be compared to neo Nazis. We really need to change the way we treat each other first before expecting any kind of respect from Caucasians.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by otipoju(m): 8:28pm On Jun 08, 2018
deedeedee1:
Nobody hate black people. They are just viewed as inferior. Black people are believed to be closer to Apes. I wonder why I rarely see Asians complain about racism. The whites believe Asians are more intelligent than they are. Japan, China, South Korea, and even North Korea are technologically advanced. Their countries are extremely rich. The Asians have immense love for their culture and language. There is no respect for the black man at all. You want to know why? Because Africa, the origin of the black man is ensnared in famine, poverty, and underdevelopment. Another reason for this is because they created the countries we live in and we rever their language at the expense of ours. We must accept the fact that for black people to regarded and respected by other races, we must build Africa. But how can we build Africa when we have country like Nigeria that is filled with tribalism, hate, religion intolerance and killings? We should split Nigeria so that tribes that are compatible can live and grow together. The only way police brutality against African-Americans will stop is when we begin to have our Japan, China and Singapore in Africa. That is when the 'superior' whites will give Africans and her descendants respect.
This is my take

True talk...the damage is self inflicted.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by Nowenuse: 8:31pm On Jun 08, 2018
BlackManta:

Dont mind them.
So because Africa the home of black race is not doing well, that gives people the right to be racist

There is no justification for racism.
Africa may be bad but that doesn't give a white man the right to spit on me.

We are humans before RACE classified US.
Humanity must be considered before race.

Stay there and keep on writing sermons.

It is natural for people to look down on those they feel better than. It is a universal practice, it can never be enliminated. It's effects can only be reduced..

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by akbahbah(m): 8:34pm On Jun 08, 2018
Optional09:
Well, you should have used your GPS to safe yourself that drama and if you are a frequent traveler you should know there is always service center between 20 to 30m on I-95 and 75.

Have you experienced “nice racism” that’s the type that frightened me the most.

Nice racism is when a white person act so nice to you...not knowing he or she had just called the police on you

Hehehe..... Jesu...lol. Na this one bad pass mehn
Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by BlackManta(m): 8:40pm On Jun 08, 2018
Nowenuse:

Stay there and keep on writing sermons.

It is natural for people to look down on those they feel better than. It is a universal practice, it can never be enliminated. It's effects can only be reduced..

Yes Racism is good.
In fact Racism is very nice and every black man deserves it undecided
If someone is inferior then it's perfectly okay to be racist on the person undecided
Every black man deserves racism because Africa is not doing well undecided
In fact more racism should fall on us undecided
In sha Allah Amen.

Racism is justified smiley smiley

Racism is natural. smiley

5 Likes

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by Nowenuse: 8:42pm On Jun 08, 2018
victorvezx:

Arabs do not not go through the same disrespect black people go through in America or Europe, even when most Arabs countries are nothing to write home about. Their skin colour keeps it at the bearable minimum. Look at how the Libyans are treating black people as inferior beings only fit to be slaves even when Nigeria and most black African country is far better than war-torn Libya. Look at how Lebanese treat black people both in Nigeria and in Lebanon even when their country is nothing to write home about. They can't treat a white man or an Indian like this. It all boils down to skin colour. Once they are light skin, they automatically believe they are superior to other darker humans. They don't care about whether ur country is developed, because Nigeria is far more developed than the two countries I used as example, but yet this people still see us as inferior to them because we are darker.

How can you say most Arab countries are nothing to write home about?

Apart from Yemen, can you mention one Arab country that Nigeria is better than?

Where did you put the likes of Qatar (with the highest Income per capital in the world)?
Where did you put UAE (which has Dubai, constantly ranked the most beautiful city in the world)?
What about Oman, Bahrain, Saudi & Kuwait?

Even countries like Iraq with all the terrorism and wars is still better than Nigeria (the supposed giant of Africa).

Can't you see how the arab speaking North Africa is far better than Sub saharan Africa?

1 Like

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by Nowenuse: 8:44pm On Jun 08, 2018
BlackManta:

Yes Racism is good.
If someone is inferior then it's perfectly okay to be racist on the person undecided
In sha Allah Amen.

Madness

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by Nowenuse: 8:45pm On Jun 08, 2018
victorvezx:

The man has inferiority complex. We know black people like him that worship white people. It's no surprise the fool is married to a white woman. Am sure he considers her a trophy

You guys are just misinterpreting the man's view completely... Many of us understand his message and point of view. It is not a matter of inferiority complex.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by BlackManta(m): 8:48pm On Jun 08, 2018
Nowenuse:

Madness

Before you try to justify racism as something natural.
Read this quote from Nelson Mandela.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by Nowenuse: 8:51pm On Jun 08, 2018
dasparrow:

Most Nigerians are notorious for worshipping white people and excusing their racism. I really don't know why so many Nigerians suffer from inferiority complex. I don't even know where they got it from.

Many black Americans wish they had their own country so they won't have to deal with white people's racism anymore and here you have some Nigerian excusing rascism. Nigerians will learn.

It's not a matter of inferiority. Let us understand the message the man is trying to pass.

Asians were also discriminated all over the west decades ago, today such hardly happens!
Did Asians protest, cry, campaign, shout or raise their own shoulders high before the west started respecting them? No!

So, what is it that these Asians did that made them earn the respect of the west? That is the message here.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by travelland(f): 8:52pm On Jun 08, 2018
deedeedee1:
[Nobody hate black people. They are just viewed as inferior. Black people are believed to be closer to Apes. I wonder why I rarely see Asians complain about racism. The whites believe Asians are more intelligent than they are. Japan, China, South Korea, and even North Korea are technologically advanced. Their countries are extremely rich. The Asians have immense love for their culture and language. There is no respect for the black man at all. You want to know why? Because Africa, the origin of the black man is ensnared in famine, poverty, and underdevelopment. Another reason for this is because they created the countries we live in and we rever their language at the expense of ours. We must accept the fact that for black people to regarded and respected by other races, we must build Africa. But how can we build Africa when we have country like Nigeria that is filled with tribalism, hate, religion intolerance and killings? We should split Nigeria so that tribes that are compatible can live and grow together. The only way police brutality against African-Americans will stop is when we begin to have our Japan, China and Singapore in Africa. That is when the 'superior' whites will give Africans and her descendants respect.
This is my take

How old are you? I'm guessing you are an inexperienced teenager who feels the need to type something even when he has absolutely no knowledge or clue of what he's saying. Clap for yourself
Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by InvertedHammer: 8:53pm On Jun 08, 2018
deedeedee1:
This is my take

/*
To top it off, you see Blacks especially Nigerians bragging about their mastery of English language...lack of which is considered hallmark of stvpidity. One could be a wizard in Mathematics and Physics and be considered a dunce by Nigerians because of inadequate grasp of English language. Now talk about total brainwash by the English.

Surprisingly, technologically advanced countries like Russia, China, Japan, Singapore, etc do not speak English. I give it to Nigerians in chasing shadows.

*/

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jun 08, 2018
So, I've read 4 solid pages and no one has mentioned the words "white supremacy". Therein lies the major misunderstanding amongst most people. Most of you are wrong, but it's because you don't know any better.
But i'll say this: you think white people are scared of blacks? Think again. Who makes atomic bombs, machines guns, weapons of mass destruction? Who bomb countries year in year out? Who does mass shootings and school shootings every now and then?
So most of what you think is basically deception. That man is just one person, but as a collective, white people get on code. For everything you think blacks are guilty of, they are 5x more guilty. It has nothing to do with development, that's just nonsense. There are effects we blacks exhibit today as a result of centuries of slavery, etc. And it may equally take centuries to get over. But make no mistake thinking it's anything to do with how black people are. That's just nitpicking.
You say Black Americans are lazy. Black Americans are the most progressive blacks on the planet and it's African blacks that go out there and suck on white zaddy's balls.
I won't say anymore on a public forum but if anyone wants to engage in an intelligent conversation about this, hit me up.
Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by travelland(f): 8:56pm On Jun 08, 2018
BlackManta:

Yes Racism is good.
In sha Allah Amen.

Lol our level of inferiority is out of this world. May God help us
Re: My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe by Nowenuse: 9:01pm On Jun 08, 2018
BlackManta:

Before you try to justify racism as something natural.
Read this quote from Nelson Mandela.

Make no mistake. I can never justify racism... All I'm saying is that it is an endemic trait in humans and even animals to look down on others they think they are better than.

Yes, we can try to fight the outward effects of this discrimination, but we can never change the subconsciousness... I don't know how else to put this for you guys to understand me.

The only way you can stop people from looking down on you completely is by proving these people wrong on the reasons why they look down on you!

Take a class of children for example, the whole class will always make fun of the dull one... No matter how much the teacher tries to stop the other children from making fun of the dull one, the fact that that one is dull will still never leave their minds..... They may not laugh at the dull one again because they were cautioned by the teacher, however they will still discriminate him in other ways which the teacher may not be able to control, like no one would want to be his friend or play with him, no one would take him serious even if he has something important to say etc.

Not until the day the dull one can disprove his mates and prove how bright he is, or at least excel in another area, the negative views about him will never change...

It's nature, you can't fight it.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Truck On Fire At Iwo Road Ibadan (Photos) / Plastic Jerrycan Used As Fuel Tank Inside A Bus In Benin, Edo (Photos, Video) / Owerri Flooded, Vehicles Submerged, Traders Flee (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.