Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,526 members, 7,819,894 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:44 AM

Where Is The Place To Be? Uk Or The Us? - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Where Is The Place To Be? Uk Or The Us? (7455 Views)

Should I Resign To Study In The US, UK Or Just Stay Back In Nigeria? / If You Want To Travel To Kenya, Malindi Is The Place. . ! / UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Is The Place To Be? Uk Or The Us? by BAC: 11:51pm On Jun 19, 2010
@jonyjay please don't take my question as an offence I am just trying to get your brains started.
Re: Where Is The Place To Be? Uk Or The Us? by jonyjay(m): 11:57pm On Jun 19, 2010
Bro, am cool just messing with yah. lived in 2 great countries before i came down here, trying to relate experience. UK is nice though, better than nija.
Re: Where Is The Place To Be? Uk Or The Us? by Nobody: 4:38am On Jun 20, 2010
BAC:

If you don't understand simple english don't come here. Go to the USA
ROTFL grin

@Post
Never been to the UK. . . .so i cant compare. But I heard that everything is much more expensive in UK. . . .so. . . . .

Is the only thing appealing in UK the insurance system? undecided
Re: Where Is The Place To Be? Uk Or The Us? by member65: 5:01am On Jun 20, 2010
AngieFan:

First of all, how comes you don't have a proper name? 
Because I'm not British? lol

Of course the opportunities are more in the US. It is a bigger country, has more people and so therefore bleating on about more opportunities is really stating the bleeding obvious. cool
Fa fa fa foul. Russia and Canada are bigger in size while India and China in population why are many of their citizens emigrating to the US in huge numbers besides Canada which still emigrate albeit in low numbers?

America and Britain have a 'special relationship'. I wouldn't necessarily call it 'looking up' to them. Britain is America's strongest and closest ally and if their military was so strong they wouldn't require the British army to back them up in the middle east would they? Let me pick some holes in your argument. How many British troops are in Iraq compare to the size of US troops? That was just for Bush to make the useless argument about international coalition. Besides, regaring military might, UK na small boy o, at least where the US is concerned. Of course they do have a special relationship. That of a small boy looking up to his elder brother. lol

Oh and by the way Youtube, Facebook (which I happen to think is crap) and Google wouldn't exist had the computer and the internet not been invented in Britain. grin If they are crap, I think more than 500m people would prove you wrong as per Facebook. I can't even put together the gazillion stats that'd be behind Youtube and Google. By the way, I can bet you top dollar that the operating system you are using is from the US. Who made Mac, Ipad, Iphone etc? Where're the founders of  Microsoft, Oracle, SunMicrosystems, Adobe, etc all the power houses where are they from or based? Oh and the framework the backbone of the internet started with DARPA. ARPANET US defense project.
That being said, the only thing America has over Britain is numbers. That be in entertainment, movies, music etc. It is however a great nation with great people whom I adore. I personally think the climate there is more suited to Nigerians looking to leave Nigeria. [size=4pt]Britain is full jare!![/size] grin grin See above for the numbers quote.
By the way what are you doing in the US if Britain is such a wonderful place with tremendous opportunities?lol
Bonus,  For the Uni thing. Oxford and Cambridge are top notch and are recognized worldwide for their "bukuru" but when it comes to leader in practical tech and real world application, they look to MIT, Princeton, UCLA etc
Don't even let's start talking about the cruel immigration system. Eg, If you one is born after 1983 I think the person inherits the status of their parent. US at least uptil today, even if the child's parent is an illegal immigrant, Jus Soli makes the child a citizen at birth. The child could aspire to become the US president if they so desire. Britain is relying on Old glory. The relics of the castle, queen, colonial empire.etc. No more black people to subjugate again money begin dry. lol
I hope you naw say I know they carry this for my head like a fanatic, just having fun. I prefer Naija better to both.
Re: Where Is The Place To Be? Uk Or The Us? by member65: 5:05am On Jun 20, 2010
FL Gators:

ROTFL grin

@Post
Never been to the UK. . . .so i cant compare. But I heard that everything is much more expensive in UK. . . .so. . . . .

Is the only thing appealing in UK the insurance system? undecided
Ask them how much taxes the government take out every paycheck to sustain the socialized government. It's horrendous. Compare that with FL with no state income tax.
Re: Where Is The Place To Be? Uk Or The Us? by AngieFan(f): 8:13am On Jun 20, 2010
Because I'm not British? lol

So one has to be a Brit to have a name?   

_________:

By the way what are you doing in the US if Britain is such a wonderful place with tremendous opportunities?lol
Bonus,  For the Uni thing. Oxford and Cambridge are top notch and are recognized worldwide for their "bukuru" but when it comes to leader in practical tech and real world application, they look to MIT, Princeton, UCLA etc
Don't even let's start talking about the cruel immigration system. Eg, If you one is born after 1983 I think the person inherits the status of their parent. US at least uptil today, even if the child's parent is an illegal immigrant, Jus Soli makes the child a citizen at birth. The child could aspire to become the US president if they so desire. Britain is relying on Old glory. The relics of the castle, queen, colonial empire.etc. No more black people to subjugate again money begin dry. lol
I hope you naw say I know they carry this for my head like a fanatic, just having fun. I prefer Naija better to both.

I am actually between Britain and the US at the moment as I am employed by a British multinational doing work in the US and no, it is not BP grin grin. I have not emigrated to the US and neither am I trying to get a US passport. At the end of 2010 I hope to be based back home in Britain permanently.

London's Imperial College and UCL are ranked higher than MIT, Princeton and UCLA with UCLA waaaaaaaay down in the ratings at 30. Look it up! Even the University of Manchester, Kings College and the University of Edinburgh is ranked higher than UCLA. lol!

There is nothing cruel about Britain's immigration policy. I have already stated that the only thing the US has over the UK is numbers and size. Anyone with an ounce of sense would be able to figure out that while America with her 51 states, each of which are bigger that our small Island, the UK, can afford to give every baby born to illegal immigrants on its shores citizenship, common sense dictates that it would be virtually impossible for the UK to do the same. The rest of your paragraph didn't make any sense so I won't try to respond.

Let me pick some holes in your argument. How many British troops are in Iraq compare to the size of US troops? That was just for Bush to make the useless argument about international coalition. Besides, regaring military might, UK na small boy o, at least where the US is concerned. Of course they do have a special relationship. That of a small boy looking up to his elder brother. lol

What holes? lol So if US could go it alone why do they need the Brits? Bush is out now and the British public is all for sending our troops home but Obama has been essentially begging Cameron to let them stay. If you knew anything about history then you would know that if it weren't for Britain, America wouldn't even exist as it is today. For that fact alone it is America who is the oversized younger child of Britain. They speak our English language remember. . . cool .Do you know that even the American national anthem is written to the tune of an old British pub song? lol

[flash=300,245]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRwAoneiDMc&hl[/flash]

In regards to the military. Of course they have more in numbers but that in no way means that their systems are more sophisticated. You Nigerians automatically think 'more' and 'big' = better.
The American airforce and navy force does not compare in terms of quality to the Royal navy or the British airforce but they have more in numbers. Quantity vs quality.

If they are crap, I think more than 500m people would prove you wrong as per Facebook. I can't even put together the gazillion stats that'd be behind Youtube and Google. By the way, I can bet you top dollar that the operating system you are using is from the US. Who made Mac, Ipad, Iphone etc? Where're the founders of  Microsoft, Oracle, SunMicrosystems, Adobe, etc all the power houses where are they from or based? Oh and the framework the backbone of the internet started with DARPA. ARPANET US defense project.

Yes I personally  find facebook crap and that is not debatable. That 500 million people use it does not in anyway make a difference to my personal perspective. I am also one of the few people who consider Ipods to be bad technology. . .again not up for debate. cool

Asking me if the PC I am using is American is however irrelevant as the fact remains the the first computer was invented in Britain. The Internet as we know it, the world wide web ('www' which every web page address uses), hyper links, internet pages that can consist of images and videos etc was also invented by British Computer Engineer Tim Berners Lee who is a Brit. If  wasn't for him we would not be discussing on this forum today.

None of those companies you mentioned would not exist or have come into play had Britain not invented the wheel the first.

80% of the greatest inventions in the world and things you and everyone else uses in your every day life was invented or started in our very small Island, Britain or by a Brit. From the basic flush toilet, the telephone, electricity, light bulbs, traffic lights, atm machines, photography, steam engine, underground subway system, railway system, tennis, Penicillin, DNA, football grin to the jet engine which allows passenger jets  to zip across the globe in record time.

I reckon that if Britain were the same size as America in terms of land mass and people we would be better. As it is we are just a small Island with less that 65 million people compared to America's 300 million but despite that we are still a country to be reckoned with. Please give credit where it is due.

_________:

Ask them how much taxes the government take out every paycheck to sustain the socialized government. It's horrendous. Compare that with FL with no state income tax.

Ok where do you live? Only a person who lives in a country where things do not work would laugh at the point of paying taxes. We pay them for our hospitals, roads, street lights, rubbish collection, schools, our police force, our ambulance system etc. There is nothing wrong with paying taxes. That you think they are too high is subjective.

I do agree that America is best for immigrants because they have the land mass and more people but don't tear down Britain to prove your point.
Re: Where Is The Place To Be? Uk Or The Us? by Nobody: 1:12pm On Jun 20, 2010
Man! You gotta love Angie's well-constructed arguments.  cool
Re: Where Is The Place To Be? Uk Or The Us? by tunnytox(m): 1:22pm On Jun 20, 2010
'
Re: Where Is The Place To Be? Uk Or The Us? by dtwsola(m): 12:38am On Jun 21, 2010
I honestly don't care about these incessant UK vs US debates. It's funny how these threads always consist of the same jobless folks. Personally, I live in upstate New York and travel frequently to NYC and about the U.S and Canada. I like it here and have no desire to live in the UK though I've visited a number of times. My career is far more suited to the States, and I like the life I live here. As far as Angie's claims that the universities in London are superior to MIT, that is just downright silly. I know you are just quoting the TIMES of London rankings, which is unsurprisingly biased towards UK universities. The whole concept of ranking universities across the board is disingenuous at best. MIT is an engineering/scientific school, and at that is it's bread and butter. It  is among the best in the world in that category. As many US universities are.  I'm sure UCL/Imperial have their strong points, but just saying that one university is better across the board makes absolutely no sense. I looked at some UK universities before deciding to come to the U.S., but in the technical/science aspect of things they are far behind. Take a look at more objective rankings (by subject), and you will see for yourself. Almost all of Britain's technological accomplishments you've mentioned came heydays ago. A great majority happened when the US was still a British colony, and many even before that. We aren't living in the 1700s or even the 1900s anymore. The glory days of Newton, Faraday and Darwin are long gone.
Re: Where Is The Place To Be? Uk Or The Us? by whiteroses(f): 1:18am On Jun 21, 2010
UK is still manageable its just like a more reasonable and standard nigeria minus the culture but they are white supremacist and their attitude is tolerable cos a lot of immigrant have grown thick skin to survive here but US the sufferation is unlimited until you find your feet say 5 to 15 years? undecided i dont like that US and sometimes prefer UK to 9ja cos of some reason but i've always said person weh in marry go determine where i live i really dont care anymore
Re: Where Is The Place To Be? Uk Or The Us? by member65: 2:32am On Jun 21, 2010
AngieFan:

I am actually between Britain and the US at the moment as I am employed by a British multinational doing work in the US and no, it is not BP grin grin. I have not emigrated to the US and neither am I trying to get a US passport. At the end of 2010 I hope to be based back home in Britain permanently.

London's Imperial College and UCL are ranked higher than MIT, Princeton and UCLA with UCLA waaaaaaaay down in the ratings at 30. Look it up! Even the University of Manchester, Kings College and the University of Edinburgh is ranked higher than UCLA. lol!

There is nothing cruel about Britain's immigration policy. I have already stated that the only thing the US has over the UK is numbers and size. Anyone with an ounce of sense would be able to figure out that while America with her 51 states, each of which are bigger that our small Island, the UK, can afford to give every baby born to illegal immigrants on its shores citizenship, common sense dictates that it would be virtually impossible for the UK to do the same. The rest of your paragraph didn't make any sense so I won't try to respond.

What holes? lol So if US could go it alone why do they need the Brits? Bush is out now and the British public is all for sending our troops home but Obama has been essentially begging Cameron to let them stay. If you knew anything about history then you would know that if it weren't for Britain, America wouldn't even exist as it is today. For that fact alone it is America who is the oversized younger child of Britain. They speak our English language remember. . . cool .Do you know that even the American national anthem is written to the tune of an old British pub song? lol

[flash=300,245]
In regards to the military. Of course they have more in numbers but that in no way means that their systems are more sophisticated. You Nigerians automatically think 'more' and 'big' = better.
The American airforce and navy force does not compare in terms of quality to the Royal navy or the British airforce but they have more in numbers. Quantity vs quality.

Yes I personally  find facebook crap and that is not debatable. That 500 million people use it does not in anyway make a difference to my personal perspective. I am also one of the few people who consider Ipods to be bad technology. . .again not up for debate. cool

Asking me if the PC I am using is American is however irrelevant as the fact remains the the first computer was invented in Britain. The Internet as we know it, the world wide web ('www' which every web page address uses), hyper links, internet pages that can consist of images and videos etc was also invented by British Computer Engineer Tim Berners Lee who is a Brit. If  wasn't for him we would not be discussing on this forum today.

None of those companies you mentioned would not exist or have come into play had Britain not invented the wheel the first.

80% of the greatest inventions in the world and things you and everyone else uses in your every day life was invented or started in our very small Island, Britain or by a Brit. From the basic flush toilet, the telephone, electricity, light bulbs, traffic lights, atm machines, photography, steam engine, underground subway system, railway system, tennis, Penicillin, DNA, football grin to the jet engine which allows passenger jets  to zip across the globe in record time.

I reckon that if Britain were the same size as America in terms of land mass and people we would be better. As it is we are just a small Island with less that 65 million people compared to America's 300 million but despite that we are still a country to be reckoned with. Please give credit where it is due.

Ok where do you live? Only a person who lives in a country where things do not work would laugh at the point of paying taxes. We pay them for our hospitals, roads, street lights, rubbish collection, schools, our police force, our ambulance system etc. There is nothing wrong with paying taxes. That you think they are too high is subjective.

I do agree that America is best for immigrants because they have the land mass and more people but don't tear down Britain to prove your point.
I guess my joke about the username flew right past you. However, when you begin to compare the sophistication of America's Military with the UK, attributing the existence of US to the benevolence of the UK,  then I know you are seriously bugging and just arguing out of emotion. I don't know what history you read but the US actually fought with the British and defeated them, chased them out of America that was even before the US became as great as it is today. It was never due to UK's benevolence. The British's behind was actually wooped.

Also, unless you are IBB who believes history is his own concoted lies, pray tell whose entrance into World War2 changed the dynamics of the war? Did you notice that America refused to be drawn into the war though Hitler and the rest of his crew almost overran Europe? I guess it was the sophistication of the UK's military that dropped the Atomic Bomb that eventually led to cessation of the war right? And the enemies surrendered to a UK General right? In case you don't know, the US did the aforementioned. It bailed out the world. For this alone, Europe and UK owed the US big time. I can't even belief you are comparing sophistication of the two countries' Military might? Why was NATO formed? The US and UK are light years apart militarily.

Pray tell, where was the mighty UK during the space race between USSR of old and the US? Where was the UK when America was landing on the moon, sipping tea?

Additionally,defaulting to US's size as the reason behind it's success is simply bogus, a lazy person's argument and avoiding
the truth. I gave you examples of Russia and Canada both larger in size but you don't see folks trooping there except the US. In number, China and India are 3 times over larger than the US. Why are they not the leaders in every area the US is? Why didn't you make the same argument for them? I don't think if you want to be taken seriouly you'd bring up that line of reasoning again.

Meanwhile, I don't have time to check all your supposedly British inventions one by one but I do wonder the kind of manipulated history books you guys are reading in the UK. Maybe that's why you are so bent on the inventions thing. Let me break it to you little by little honey:
First, in the real world, Photography came from the works of Joseph Nicéphore Niépce a French man and later the film technology came from George Eastman of the Kodak camera fame(I'm sure you know Kodak). He is an American.

Secondly, contrary to your British text books, light bulb was actually invented by Thomas Edison of the 10,000 experiment fame. He is AN AMERICAN from New Jersey. Please dump your British text books. They lied to you guys.

In the same vein, regarding the Telephone, if the UK was far better(as you alluded to), why did Alexander Graham Bell,a Scottish man, immigrated to the US and invented the Telephone in the US and not the far better UK? I'm not going into the invention stuff war with you. The evidence abound even for the blind and the deaf that from Automobile, to Aircraft, Space, Medicine, Nuclear Tech, IT,etc America has more inventors.

Now back to the original reason for the thread. The thread starter asked which is better? This is the same question millions of inventors, business leaders, entrepreneurs, students, budding scientists, medical researchers etc ask all over the world every day. Guess what country they overwhelmingly chose in huge numbers? The US. That’s what makes America great. It’s a nation that creates a conducive environment where one could achieve one’s dreams. That’s why for example Sergie Brin’s family (of Google fame) immigrated to the US from Russia vice the UK.  Arnold Schwarzenegger originally from Austria became the governor of California, Barack Obama’s (the US president) dad was from Kenya, Bobby Jindal the governor of Louisiana is of Indian immigrants etc.  Accordingly, that’s why there are several programs to bring immigrants into the US from DV to H1B.  Because when you create an atmosphere where the best and the brightest can thrive, and you pick them from all the countries of the world, that country would continue to lead the world. I suggest you read the bio of Alexander Graham Bell (the telephone inventor) and pay attention to what made him to stay in Boston. Even the great Einstein immigrated to the US.  That’s why the US is better. That is why the US is the leader in various fields even virtually in every sport. Frankly speaking, Britain is better than many countries but in the context of what I've enumerated above, and the impact US has in the world, US takes the upper hand. And I'm sorry but your beloved Britain would have to play catch up.  If you don’t get this, you won’t get anything else. You’d just be coming up with some fluffy stuff like Britain invented how to flush the toilet while the US is light years ahead. GOD BLESS AMERICA. God Save the queen? lol
Re: Where Is The Place To Be? Uk Or The Us? by oyewolejos(m): 3:36am On Jun 21, 2010
AngieFan:

[flash=300,245]

Yes I personally find facebook crap and that is not debatable. That 500 million people use it does not in anyway make a difference to my personal perspective. I am also one of the few people who consider Ipods to be bad technology. . .again not up for debate. cool

Asking me if the PC I am using is American is however irrelevant as the fact remains the the first computer was invented in Britain. The Internet as we know it, the world wide web ('www' which every web page address uses), hyper links, internet pages that can consist of images and videos etc was also invented by British Computer Engineer Tim Berners Lee who is a Brit. If wasn't for him we would not be discussing on this forum today.

80% of the greatest inventions in the world and things you and everyone else uses in your every day life was invented or started in our very small Island, Britain or by a Brit. From the basic flush toilet, the telephone, electricity, light bulbs, traffic lights, atm machines, photography, steam engine, underground subway system, railway system, tennis, Penicillin, DNA, football grin to the jet engine which allows passenger jets to zip across the globe in record time.

I do agree that America is best for immigrants because they have the land mass and more people but don't tear down Britain to prove your point

Are u suffering from menstration disorder or u are only thinking from your holes?
Listen to yourself again.UCl out of all schools.The school that breed Muttalab to come and bomb a US bound Airplane. UCL is a breeding ground for potential Islamic fanatics and u comparing it to the prestigious MIT or UCLA? That will only be possible in your deluded mind.
people only knows Two World Class universities in UK which are Oxford and Cambridge all others are upgraded OOU not even in the class of UI or UNILAG.Ask some folks who had their First degree in UK and their Masters in US they will tell u the real facts.
Am only taking u out on the educational parts of your ill-concieved arguments since the previous poster has all dismantled the lies u stated about inventions which some people has already been falling for.All those propaganda has fallen like a pack of cards right in your own eyes.I wonder the Multinational company u working for.If i say BP i might not be far from the truth.
U are a disgrace to that Multinational Company cos u still living in the past.This is 2010 go digital.

Below is the list of inventions made in the US
Revolver
Airplane
Skyscrapper
Washing Machine
Fast food restaurant
Traffic light
Supermarket
Drive through
Digital Computer
mobile phone
Cable TV
Hard disk Drive
Compact Disc
Mouse Pad
LAN
PC
Internet
GPS
Javascript
and the just invented Composite Aircraft

I only gave u inventions related to my field so other member will do justice to your crooked arguments.
We are tired of Half baked, brain drained graduates UK schools produce grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Where Is The Place To Be? Uk Or The Us? by AngieFan(f): 6:14am On Jun 21, 2010
@oyewolejos

Is this your best shot?

Are u suffering from menstration disorder or u are only thinking from your holes?

I just briefly went through your rant but in regards to your list of 'American' inventions

Below is the list of inventions made in the US
Revolver - The Chinese invented the first gun
Airplane - wouldn't be much of an great invention if Sir Frank Whittle not invented the Jet Engine
Fast food restaurant - how great? shocked, I don't do fast food so this 'invention' doesn't make much of a difference to my life
Traffic light - The first traffic light appeared outside the houses of Parliament in 1868
Supermarket - not really an invention but a development
Drive through - same as above
Internet - The internet as we know it was invented by Sir Tim Berners Lee, a Briton
and the just invented Composite Aircraft - The Americans have just invented this? wow!! shocked lol Anyway the first composite aircraft flew from the UK in 1916

Re: Where Is The Place To Be? Uk Or The Us? by AngieFan(f): 6:30am On Jun 21, 2010
dtw_sola:

I honestly don't care about these incessant UK vs US debates. It's funny how these threads always consist of the same jobless folks. Personally, I live in upstate New York and travel frequently to NYC and about the U.S and Canada. I like it here and have no desire to live in the UK though I've visited a number of times. My career is far more suited to the States, and I like the life I live here. As far as Angie's claims that the universities in London are superior to MIT, that is just downright silly. I know you are just quoting the TIMES of London rankings, which is unsurprisingly biased towards UK universities. The whole concept of ranking universities across the board is disingenuous at best. MIT is an engineering/scientific school, and at that is it's bread and butter. It  is among the best in the world in that category. As many US universities are.  I'm sure UCL/Imperial have their strong points, but just saying that one university is better across the board makes absolutely no sense. I looked at some UK universities before deciding to come to the U.S., but in the technical/science aspect of things they are far behind. Take a look at more objective rankings (by subject), and you will see for yourself. Almost all of Britain's technological accomplishments you've mentioned came heydays ago. A great majority happened when the US was still a British colony, and many even before that. We aren't living in the 1700s or even the 1900s anymore. The glory days of Newton, Faraday and Darwin are long gone.

Sour grapes? You don't care but you take time to add a response. Spare me please, lol
I looked at unis across the board and in that respect MIT is below Imperial. Here is the Top university list from a US publication compiled in 2010. You may personally think that British universities are behind but remember that is your personal view only and not the gospel.

http://www.usnews.com/articles/education/worlds-best-universities/2010/02/25/worlds-best-universities-top-400

America stopped being a colony centuries ago in 1776. Key inventions like the Jet engine, atm machines, subway system, DNA, IVF and Viagra grin etc took place in the last 100 or so years and had a profound effect on the way we live today.

You may prefer the US to UK but don't you feel rather silly downing the achievements of a small Island to a country which is a hundred times bigger?
Re: Where Is The Place To Be? Uk Or The Us? by BAC: 10:07am On Jun 21, 2010
Come to think of it. Our Queen owns the federal Reserve bank. So you can't compare UK to USA. UK owns the US including all the people in it, till unknown amount of generations to come.
Who ever has the money has the altimate power.

So that should finalize this augument.
Re: Where Is The Place To Be? Uk Or The Us? by Laughter1(m): 10:25am On Jun 21, 2010
tunnytox:

Angie you too gbaski! a lot of people underate UK and talk as if america is heaven though I've not been to the US (I will be in few years tme hopefully) but I'm presently in Canada and most of what ppl talk about this country makes me laugh especially now that I can compare it with UK. I won't trade the UK for any other country as far as I'm concerned. They talked about the US having bigger opportunities but most ppl can't practice their profession in another state without passing through some other forms of rigourous process, moving within states in the US sometimes is like moving from one country to another.

@TUNNYTOX, are you by any means implying that UK is better than Canada? shocked .I ve always been told Canada is way better. I can't argue this with you though as I ve only lived in the UK and not Canada. Please tell us what makes you think UK is better than canada, since you've been to the two countries!
Re: Where Is The Place To Be? Uk Or The Us? by member65: 2:02pm On Jun 21, 2010
tunnytox:

Angie you too gbaski! a lot of people underate UK and talk as if america is heaven though I've not been to the US [s](I will be in few years tme hopefully) but I'm presently in Canada and most of what ppl talk about this country makes me laugh especially now that I can compare it with UK. I won't trade the UK for any other country as far as I'm concerned. They talked about the US having bigger opportunities but most ppl can't practice their profession in another state without passing through some other forms of rigourous process, moving within states in the US sometimes is like moving from one country to another.[/s]
The jury will disregard the rest of the statement.
Re: Where Is The Place To Be? Uk Or The Us? by member65: 2:04pm On Jun 21, 2010
BAC:

Come to think of it.   Our Queen owns the federal Reserve bank. So you can't compare UK to USA. UK owns the US including all the people in it, till unknown amount of generations to come.
Who ever has the money has the altimate power.

So that should finalize this augument.
You must either be high on drugs or be reading those fake UK textbooks.
Re: Where Is The Place To Be? Uk Or The Us? by Gemma11: 2:36pm On Jun 21, 2010
Macs, Ipod, Iphone and Ipads were designed by British designer John Ives who was poached by Apple from Britain in the 1990s.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/nov/29/ipod-jonathan-ive-designer
Re: Where Is The Place To Be? Uk Or The Us? by member65: 4:40pm On Jun 21, 2010
Gemma11:

Macs, Ipod, Iphone and Ipads were invented by British designer John Ives who was poached by Apple from Britain in the 1990s.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/nov/29/ipod-jonathan-ive-designer
"Poached" as if the guy was forced into slavery. Simply put he immigrated to the US where the environment is better. By the way, why did you fail to mention that the invention was actually made and launched in the US? The thread starter asked where is the place to be your inventor guy figured it was US and ditched the UK.
Re: Where Is The Place To Be? Uk Or The Us? by dtwsola(m): 12:47am On Jun 22, 2010
Angie, you have to read the fine print.  wink The list you linked to may be published by U.S. News, but it says right at the top of the page:

U.S.News & World Report's World's Best Universities  rankings, based on the QS World University Rankings, identified these to be the world's top universities in 2009.

QS World University Rankings is published by the Times of London, which is a UK source and I repeat is biased towards UK universities. That's why the lists are identical.  And even besides that, all I'm saying is that the only meaningful way to compare schools is by particular major/field. For example how can you compare London School of Economics (specialty school) to Cambridge. It makes no sense. In fact, the same UK source you cited further ranks schools by subject matter. Take for example Engineering/Science or Medicine: See who comes out on top. Even read the various opinions of UK students.

Most UK universities are living off former prestige. Cambridge and Oxford are among the oldest universities in the world, and produced many great minds in their time, but that is the past. Case in point, over the past two decades or so, Stanford University has won three times as many Nobel Prizes as the universities of Oxford and Cambridge have combined. Not to talk of schools like Harvard, Princeton,Yale, and MIT.

And yes, the US is 300 million strong (5x uk). So what. It is still a relatively young, and vibrant country. Britain was once a great empire, much larger population wise than the U.S. The rapid population growth can be attributed to the fact that people wanted to come here, and the U.S. has welcomed them. And besides the UK still has a large population of 60 million, and is by no means a small island. I'm not belittling their contributions to the world, but just saying most of those contributions happened eons ago. You're really reaching far as Britain's recent accomplishments. James Watson,  is credited along with Crick for DNA discovery. Also Frank Whittle may have been the first to patent a jet engine, but by no means the first, or sole inventor. It was a German, Hans von Ohain, who designed the first operational jet engine. Sure, Britain has contributed some good things recently, but their influence has waned and it's not solely due to population as you're implying.

As for your sour grapes thing, OK. Sure. Yes I like the US, but I do not love it. In fact I hate some things about the culture here. See I'm an objective person. I just felt I had to take you up since you are constantly blabbering on about how great the UK is, posting endless pictures of the place, as if the country is paying you to defend her honour. One only need to look at your post history to see you have made being a cheerleader for the UK your life work.

All that said at the end of the day, I'm still omo Naija, and that's the only place I love. I hope one day we will be among the greats.
Re: Where Is The Place To Be? Uk Or The Us? by ucheawesom: 1:19am On Jun 22, 2010
All that said at the end of the day, I'm still omo Naija, and that's the only place I love. I hope one day we will be among the greats.
[quote][/quote]

Abi ooooo.
I dont even understand why some ppl are taking panadol for some other persons headache.
Re: Where Is The Place To Be? Uk Or The Us? by whiteroses(f): 8:48am On Jun 22, 2010
some of you don mara some people dont even have a stay in any of these countries and they already know all the fake history, mention six governors in nigeria they can't tell shiior

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Is Kosovo(eu) A Visa Free To Nigeria? / Coronavirus: Ethiopian Airlimes Says They Have No Plan To Stop China Flights / My Collection Of Beautiful Pictures Around The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.