Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,123 members, 7,821,849 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:06 PM

Ghana Has One Of The Worst Economies In The World. (forbes List) - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Ghana Has One Of The Worst Economies In The World. (forbes List) (9687 Views)

Forget BRICS, Kenya among Top 7 Best Emerging Economies In The World / Saudi Prince Sues Forbes For Underestimating His Wealth / FORBES LIST: The World's Richest ROYALS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ghana Has One Of The Worst Economies In The World. (forbes List) by EzeUche(m): 7:05am On Jun 15, 2010
9jaganja:

Ever growing consumer population you mean? Under AU other African companies have easy access to Nigerian markets so If say Botswana is selling rice to Nigerians and other products that our consumer population needs, who has more economic strength? Our population is only good as consumers and the only reason the world think we are important is because of our consumer market which is ever growing. You call that good? Wait till Garri is 1000 naira a cup

I forgot to add that a large population full of poor illiterates will be a source of cheap labor. As China and India's middle class grow, they will need places where they can get goods for cheaper. Nigeria is still a very cheap place for labor so soon, manufacturing may come to Africa and Nigeria in particular due to the fact that these Asian nations are becoming wealthier.

Nigeria is like the China of Africa while South Africa on the other hand is more like the United States.
Re: Ghana Has One Of The Worst Economies In The World. (forbes List) by Nobody: 7:16am On Jun 15, 2010
EzeUche:

I forgot to add that a large population full of poor illiterates will be a source of cheap labor. As China and India's middle class grow, they will need places where they can get goods for cheaper. Nigeria is still a very cheap place for labor so soon, manufacturing may come to Africa and Nigeria in particular due to the fact that these Asian nations are becoming wealthier.

Nigeria is like the China of Africa while South Africa on the other hand is more like the United States.

You really are a capitalist minded dude. "A large population full of poor illiterates"? Is that what you want for Nigeria? That poor population full of illiterates will cause civil war and other societal illness that will make Nigeria so unstable, investors will run. What kind of mind do you have?

Ezechue don't post again please!!!! If cheap labour is what will bring industries to Nigeria then they can kiss Nigeria goodbye if I'm president. Cheap labour include harsh working conditions you know? how cheap can that labour be when most of what we buy in Nigeria are imported? If the manufacturer wants to sell into nigerian market which has the so called cheap labour then it must realize the profit will be low because he must be willing to sell the priducts at rate affordable to the people he pays less. Do you think China has an economy of it's own? Chinese economy depends on how much the rest of the world can buy. Chinese citizens can't afford what they manufacture. Is that what you want for Nigeria? Okay, I'll just be miserable for a while and go to bed after that. Goodnight Ezechue.
Re: Ghana Has One Of The Worst Economies In The World. (forbes List) by EzeUche(m): 7:26am On Jun 15, 2010
9jaganja:

You really are a capitalist minded dude. "A large population full of poor illiterates"? Is that what you want for Nigeria? That poor population full of illiterates will cause civil war and other societal illness that will make Nigeria so unstable, investors will run. What kind of mind do you have?

Ezechue don't post again please!!!! If cheap labour is what will bring industries to Nigeria then they can kiss Nigeria goodbye if I'm president. Cheap labour include harsh working conditions you know? how cheap can that labour be when most of what we buy in Nigeria are imported? If the manufacturer wants to sell into nigerian market which has the so called cheap labour then it must realize the profit will be low because he must be willing to sell the priducts at rate affordable to the people he pays less. Do you think China has an economy of it's own? Chinese economy depends on how much the rest of the world can buy. Chinese citizens can't afford what they manufacture. Is that what you want for Nigeria? Okay, I'll just be miserable for a while and go to bed after that. Goodnight Ezechue.

Hear me out, cheap labor attracts investment. China was once an agrarian society, until it opened up to the West after U.S. President Nixon went to China to open up China for business. U.S companies and other West companies flocked to China to invest in their manufacturing capabilities, consumer market, and source of cheap labor. The same can be done to Nigeria if the right people are put in place.

The masses can be kept in check when you have a strong military apparatus which Nigeria doesn't have at this moment since there is a low level insurgency that is continuing to tack its toll in the Niger Delta.

Don't you see China is becoming wealthier and now they control most of the the United States debt? Now they have true power of the U.S. by doing what I just stated. And their middle class is growing exponentially. That is what I want for Nigeria. That is the end goal.
Re: Ghana Has One Of The Worst Economies In The World. (forbes List) by ADint(m): 7:30am On Jun 15, 2010
@paddy_lo

Am going with some of your flow here. . . smiley

For those saying size/population does not matter, you only have to look at the BRIC countries - min population 140m, max 1.3 billion, translating to over 40% of the worlds population.

The old world order no longer holds; the era where small commercially and technologically aware countries control the vast majority is drawing to a close. The new economic titans that are now emerging have now realised what huge advantages their pop. gives them, coupled with a rediscovered entrepreneurship makes this a potent combination in this new world order - commercial, business or technological know-how where it is lacking, can now be easily bought-in.

This is why, for example, almost every major corporation in the world are outdoing themselves to get a foothold in China. These are the markets of the future.
Re: Ghana Has One Of The Worst Economies In The World. (forbes List) by Nobody: 7:47am On Jun 15, 2010
Wow people will say anything to sound intelligent even if it makes them sound dumb.

EzeUche:

Hear me out, cheap labor attracts investment. China was once an agrarian society, until it opened up to the West after U.S. President Nixon went to China to open up China for business. U.S companies and other West companies flocked to China to invest in their manufacturing capabilities, consumer market, and source of cheap labor. The same can be done to Nigeria if the right people are put in place.

The masses can be kept in check when you have a strong military apparatus which Nigeria doesn't have at this moment since there is a low level insurgency that is continuing to tack its toll in the Niger Delta.

Don't you see China is becoming wealthier and now they control most of the the United States debt? Now they have true power of the U.S. by doing what I just stated. And their middle class is growing exponentially. That is what I want for Nigeria. That is the end goal.

Back to you Ezechue before I sleep. You said military to keep the mass in check? You mean disgrace our democracy? If the people revolt then they don't want it and if they don't want it then is shouldn't be done. All the myth of China being an agrarian society before the opened to the west is all lies. China was doing well if they were so bad why weren't the brits able to conquer? They even rented out Hong Kong to the Brits. Cheap labour attracts bad investment. Though protectionism is bad, opening up your market to without measures that both encourages you foreign investors and strengthens your local investors is worst. Foreign investors comes with big cash and invest more in market share than local investors what happens the local industry starts to fold up and boom your market is controlled by foreign investors. Ask Jamaica what happened to their once great economy. Ezechue cheap labour is bad, investing in a place cause of cheap labour is not human at all. I don't know but our economical philosophies differ so let's close that chapter. I believe in economic strength for all the citizens of a nation. A company willing to invest in a nation under my kind of economic philosophy must be willing to pay regulatory labour price. In china many are exposed to deadly chemical for labour of 30cents/hr. Under cheap labour there will be no health insurance coverage. In case of an accident, the worker goes off unpaid. That's China for you.

Merge your soul with your philosophy that way if you are evil well then your philosophy will be evil if you are good, your philosophy will adjust to the nature of your soul. Think with your brain and soul together at once and you will never do wrong.
Re: Ghana Has One Of The Worst Economies In The World. (forbes List) by Nobody: 7:49am On Jun 15, 2010
Ghana must come back then grin grin grin
Re: Ghana Has One Of The Worst Economies In The World. (forbes List) by EzeUche(m): 8:01am On Jun 15, 2010
9jaganja:

Wow people will say anything to sound intelligent even if it makes them sound dumb.

Back to you Ezechue before I sleep. You said military to keep the mass in check? You mean disgrace our democracy? If the people revolt then they don't want it and if they don't want it then is shouldn't be done. All the myth of China being an agrarian society before the opened to the west is all lies. China was doing well if they were so bad why weren't the brits able to conquer? They even rented out Hong Kong to the Brits. Cheap labour attracts bad investment. Though protectionism is bad, opening up your market to without measures that both encourages you foreign investors and strengthens your local investors is worst. Foreign investors comes with big cash and invest more in market share than local investors what happens the local industry starts to fold up and boom your market is controlled by foreign investors. Ask Jamaica what happened to their once great economy. Ezechue cheap labour is bad, investing in a place cause of cheap labour is not human at all. I don't know but our economical philosophies differ so let's close that chapter. I believe in economic strength for all the citizens of a nation. A company willing to invest in a nation under my kind of economic philosophy must be willing to pay regulatory labour price. In china many are exposed to deadly chemical for labour of 30cents/hr. Under cheap labour there will be no health insurance coverage. In case of an accident, the worker goes off unpaid. That's China for you.

Merge your soul with your philosophy that way if you are evil well then your philosophy will be evil if you are good, your philosophy will adjust to the nature of your soul. Think with your brain and soul together at once and you will never do wrong.

9jaganja,

I am being very serious right now and what I have said is true. Nigeria needs to follow the Chinese model. That is the only way we can break through this link of neocolonialism.

And you say Nigeria practices democracy? Do not be so naive, what we have in this country is no democracy. It is not fit to be called a democracy. Do not mock democracy by labeling Nigeria as a democratic state. Pure rubbish!

Learn history first. China was carved up by the Europeans and Japan in which they had different spheres of influence. Germany, Japan, France and the British had a stake in China. And remember that during WWII, China was almost completely conquered by the Japanese. Due to its vast size, China had to be carved up.

My economic philosophy is different from yours. I am an economic liberal in which I believe in only free markets. No need for tariffs and trade regulations cause it is bad for business. Our labor will be Nigeria's salvation.
Re: Ghana Has One Of The Worst Economies In The World. (forbes List) by Eddeux(m): 8:18am On Jun 15, 2010
Mehh, I have to agree w/ EzeUche on that one 9jaganja. Cheap labor is what is needed initially to jump start any economy. You can't go from--in Nigeria's case--an agricultural dominant economy (or just majority of the labor force employed in this sector) straight to demanding high wages in the workplace. If you get what I mean it's all a cycle that all nations go through: cheap labor --> labor mixed in w/ growing middle class+wages --> industrial economy turning more into service --> complete service-sector dominant economy w/ labor accounting for smaller % of GDP but manufacutiring technologically advanced goods. Nigeria will get to the point one day where cheap labor will no longer be acceptable, but until then it's more than likely the only way to attract foreign investment in the long run (once oil demand goes flat).
Re: Ghana Has One Of The Worst Economies In The World. (forbes List) by ADint(m): 8:29am On Jun 15, 2010
@ EzeUche

Good stuff.
Re: Ghana Has One Of The Worst Economies In The World. (forbes List) by davidif: 9:54am On Jun 15, 2010
Are you really comparing Africa to Europe? Europe has had CENTURIES to acquire wealth and power. Sub-Saharan Africa has just been opened up for investment and trade within the past 50-60 years; you can't expect much to have occurred in such a short time. In the case of Israel, they've been receiving billions upon billions of yearly no-strings-attached aid for decades; do you really think they're a good example of what a country can accomplish on their own merits?

Travellista
Typical African looking for excuses, look at Singapore, South Korea, Malaysia, Taiwan, the UAE? didn't this countries develop overnight? please no more excuses.

EzeUche,
I agree with both of you, cheap labor is why china developed but unlike we can't practice pure capitalism or else the rich will keep getting richer while the poor will keep getting poorer. We need to create labor laws and good working conditions and also we need a good justice system that can protect each citizen no matter the economic class. In other words, the poor have to be able to sue the "big men" and that includes the govt. if they feel that they are not being given equal treatment.
Re: Ghana Has One Of The Worst Economies In The World. (forbes List) by otawa: 11:16am On Jun 15, 2010
I am being very serious right now and what I have said is true. Nigeria needs to follow[b] the Chinese model.[/b] That is the only way we can break through this link of neocolonialism.

trues words.

I expect, Mr Obasanjo, Good Luck's wife, IBB, Bode George, Marwa etc to have been all HANGED by now.

Thats what made Chinese model worked.
Re: Ghana Has One Of The Worst Economies In The World. (forbes List) by paddylo1(m): 12:39pm On Jun 15, 2010
Is Nigeria Africa's star? The only country taking development seriously? Yes Nigerias has potential but you have to recognize development in other countries on the continent. Tanzania, Rwanda (yes yes it appears to be), like 9jaganja said Namibia & Botswana, Gabon, South Africa, Tunisia, Egypt, GHANA, Angola, South Africa, etc.
I will give u EGYPT and South AFRICA (Though EGPYT wants to be known as an ARAB country). .ANGOLA(for the future)

The rest of the countries u name can never be Africas star. .countries like Botswana and Namibia with less than 3million ppl. . and one city can never be Africas star

Like everyone said here,look at the countries making waves. .Brazil. .Russia. .India, China, Indonesia. .

U cant go to Asia and tell me Taiwan is the star

Or go to Europe and tell me swissland is the star,when u have France and Germany

The point is for Africa to shine the big countries will have to pull their weight
Re: Ghana Has One Of The Worst Economies In The World. (forbes List) by redsun(m): 12:49pm On Jun 15, 2010
Ghana may not have a better economy than nigeria but they are more discipline,focus and idealistic as a country than nigeria.

Nigeria is like no man's land where the leaders are outright rogues,hindering the activities of hardworking and ambitious individuals whose efforts are keeping nigeria afloat,i.e,the market women,the farmers,the traders,national and international,the transporters and the handy men and women,name them,all those they call 'petty' are the backbones of nigeria
Re: Ghana Has One Of The Worst Economies In The World. (forbes List) by Ibime(m): 6:42pm On Jun 15, 2010
Load of jagbajantis on ths thread.

Some want us to believe that wealth disparity in Naija is as a result of the entrepreneurship of some and the laziness of others (Note: Agreed that Nigerians are the most entrepreneurial in sub-saharan Africa).

If I list the 100 richest men in Naija now, some would struggle to point out a mere handful who made their money by pure entrepreneurship.

Wealth disparity in Nigeria is singlularly attributable to kleptocracy, with very few exceptions. QED
Re: Ghana Has One Of The Worst Economies In The World. (forbes List) by Eddeux(m): 6:58pm On Jun 15, 2010
paddy_lo:

I will give u EGYPT and South AFRICA (Though EGPYT wants to be known as an ARAB country). .ANGOLA(for the future)

The rest of the countries u name can never be Africas star. .countries like Botswana and Namibia with less than 3million ppl. . and one city can never be Africas star

Like everyone said here,look at the countries making waves. .Brazil. .Russia. .India, China, Indonesia. .

U cant go to Asia and tell me Taiwan is the star

Or go to Europe and tell me swissland is the star,when u have France and Germany

[color=#550000]The point is for Africa to shine the big countries will have to pull their weight

I didn't say that those countries I listed were going to be one of Africa's star economies. I just said that they are also developing at a fast pace, and their development should be recognized too. Of course if Nigeria starts developing as fast as China did once it opened up West Africa would feel the impact than say if smaller Ghana was developing instead. And Tanzania could be an important African nation to watch someday. Well along with Ethiopia and Kenya in . All 3 have large popoulations and vast amounts of resources.

Egypt won't want to be known as an Arab country if Ethiopia takes a bigger slice out of the water supply from the Nile.
Re: Ghana Has One Of The Worst Economies In The World. (forbes List) by Gbawe: 10:13pm On Jun 15, 2010
ADint:

@paddy_lo

Am going with some of your flow here. . . smiley

For those saying size/population does not matter, you only have to look at the BRIC countries - min population 140m, max 1.3 billion, translating to over 40% of the worlds population.

The old world order no longer holds; the era where small commercially and technologically aware countries control the vast majority is drawing to a close. The new economic titans that are now emerging have now realised what huge advantages their pop. gives them, coupled with a rediscovered entrepreneurship makes this a potent combination in this new world order - commercial, business or technological know-how where it is lacking, can now be easily bought-in.

This is why, for example, almost every major corporation in the world are outdoing themselves to get a foothold in China. These are the markets of the future.

Very intelligent post. You and Paddy Lo have made the most sense to the extent that I feel you can both see what needs to be seen. Paddy Lo is entirely correct with how he states that Power sector reform and deregulation of the downstream sector will be catalysts for the rapid development of Nigeria. Ghana has had constant electricity since I have been going there ( 10 years) and I have not seen the difference this has made to the industrial or economic growth of Ghana. In fact traditional Ghanaian industry is being suffocated by foreign entrant companies. Aluworks (Ghana's aluminium production entity) is being treathened with cheap subsidized aluminium import from China !!!!!
http://www.ghanabusinessnews.com/2010/06/09/china-products-in-ghana-threaten-aluworks/

It is only ill-informed Nigerians/Ghanaians who will posit that some of us speak because we envy Ghana.

I believe the thread starter when he states that the purpose of this thread is educational. "He who has ears let him hear" . This advice is for both Nigerians and Ghanaians . We are not enemies even as we act as if we are. Both our nations are still full of deceptive politicians who play to the gallery to mask their own misrule and ineptitude.

K4 talked about shopping malls in Ghana as a source of pride to the nation and an indicator , to him , that Ghana is doing better than others but I don't think any West African (Nigerian or Ghanaian) should be proud of shiny foreign-owned elitist edifices that are tributes to the exploitation of West Africans . I will break it down.

Shoprite Shopping Mall. Sony LCD tv 32" = Ghc 1850 (£900) . Same TV in the UK is £260. How can any African be happy about this?

Melcom shopping mall . Cheap China crap that would never get past United Kingdom BS quality control. A direct indicator that Africa remains the "dumping ground" for the worlds most inferior goods. We don't deserve quality , according to the foreigners operating in our environment, and we will never get quality until we get involved to bring quality at prices our folks can afford.  Pointless remaining on the sideline admiring "nice" malls (we feel we cannot build) full of poor quality , unacceptably overpriced goods 95% of our people cannot afford just to pronounce bragging rights over each other .

Koala shopping mall . Brocoli 600grams = Ghc 19.00 or £9 (go and check). Brocoli 600 grams @ Morrison supermarket UK = 55 pence or Ghc 1.20 . Conclusion: the average Ghanaian will never eat Brocoli !!!

K4 mentioned shiny new cars on the streets that mean , to him , things are looking up for Ghana more than for others . Let break it down.

Vauxhall/Opel Zafira year 2001 in the UK = £1500 . Loans available from 5% Apr. Average wage @ around £1000 per month ensures that most working Britons can afford to buy this car.

Vauxhall/Opel Zafira year 2001 in Accra = Ghc 15,000 (£7,400) . Loan available from 30% APR. Average wage of Ghc 150 - 200 (£70- £95) per month means that most working Ghanaians cannot afford to buy this car.

What , if not elitism , is K4 displaying when he is joyous at seeing more new cars on the Street of Accra only foreigners and 5% of Ghanaians can afford?

K4 mentions Shiny estates and Apartments indicative of Ghana's "vibrancy" others do not possess. Let us examine this.

3 bedroom apartment . Airport Residential Accra (most probably built by South African or Lebanese  businessmen)  = £150,000  (Ghc 310,000) . Mortgages at 30 - 33%  APR . Average wage @ around £1000  (Ghc 2100) per year. Conclusion : very few Ghanaians will ever know the joy of home ownership meanwhile foreigners , who are making vast sums of money within a Ghana that empowers them ahead of Ghanaians, have no problem buying these home to the envy and frustration of long-suffering Ghanaians !!!!! What is our brother K4 celebrating? How many of these shiny homes/apartment are empty, unbought and unrented because most Ghanaians cannot afford them ? A lot is all I will say .

What does K4 think is responsible for the increase in xenophobia if not for how Ghanaians , instead of being empowered by their govt, are forced to look on in frustration at foreigners "living it large" on Ghanaian soil while their own lives remain unchanged despite the lies the Ghanaian government and elitists are telling to the entire world ?

The[b] average[/b] Ghanaian has nothing to celebrate same as the well-informed Nigerian should not be casting envious looks at Ghana and Ghanaians while deeming himself and his nation to be worthless. We have different challenges.

In Ghana , today, savvy Ghanaian economists/political observers/social analyst (eg Black rasta on radio) are not at all happy at the lot of Ghanaians . It is only diasporan Ghanaians or members of  the elite class ( many rich with ill-gotten cash) who will assert that Ghana is much better off than Nigeria or possesses better development potentials merely because foreigners are in control of virtually all that is laudable about Ghana .

suffice to say that when there is constant electricity and developmental opportunities it will be Nigerians themselves , not the Lebanese , leading any SME explosion and industrial revolution on Nigerian soil. A simple example is how , with all the challenges within Nigeria, virtually all restaurant chain on the ground is Nigerian owned (TFC, Mr. Biggs, Tantaliser, Chicken Republic, etc) meanwhile , with the relatively good investment environment of Ghana, all the main restaurant chains in Ghana are foreign-owned (Mr.Biggs, Papaye, Frankies, Chicken Republic, etc) in a clear demonstration that Ghanaians will  not/cannot take advantage of the opportunities their good investment environment has churned up !!!!! Those are the type of consideration that should worry progressive Ghanaians . it is pointless jubilating over look good/feel good things Ghanaians themselves did not build !!!!

The Ghanaian government , instead of encouraging xenophobia , with protectionist practice that will harm Ghana's economy in the long run (as I predicted in the past here on Nairaland), should embark on a national business re-orientation program for Ghanaians. Nigerians may be more naturally entrepreneural but Ghanaians can become sufficiently entrepreneural also , enough to take more control , if the Government set up free business training centres to help the average Ghanaian with business skills, basic bookeeping, raising finance, compiling feasibility reports, marketing survey and opportunity identification, acquisition of skills , etc .

It is not Uhuru for Ghana. In fact nowhere near especially as folks in the know understand the con job the Ghanaian Govt is fooling the world with. The economy has been worsening since circa 2004 with the NPP performing  'abracadabra' economics to bolster a charade . The deception is now being exposed with the desperate behaviour of the Atta Mills government.

http://discussions.ghanaweb.com/viewtopic.php?t=122316

No Jobs for Young Ghanaians Till 2013
31-May-2010

Until 2013, there will be no formal employment in the public sector for fresh graduates since the current macroeconomic policy framework, a three-year stabilization programme agreed with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) by government does not permit so.

This means many young people who would graduate from tertiary institutions from 2010 to 2012, and those who graduated in 2008 and 2009, are at risk of being at home for a very long time.

As part of fiscal stabilization programme, which led the nation to borrow about $1.2 billion from IMF, public sector employment was frozen, starting from 2009, a situation most economists and analysts described as harsh and would therefore hurt the economy.

Ghanaians , you have your challenges. Face it and stop bragging about achievements , even if it is on Ghana soil, that cannot be credited to Ghanaians . Producing a good investment environment is only one stage of development. Ensuring your own people are the major beneficiary , and not just disgruntled bystanders, is very important. Every nation of the world defines development according to the availability of opportunities for  average citizens and not the proliferation of luxury goods/lifestyle for diasporans (who are often richer than local folks) or Politicians, Government contractors, Money launderers, drug dealers and foreign investors .

Speaking for the average folk, Ghana is not better than Nigeria or vice versa. Both nations should  get to work and face their separate challenges so that the living conditions of their average citizens can improve.
Re: Ghana Has One Of The Worst Economies In The World. (forbes List) by Nobody: 11:29pm On Jun 15, 2010
Wow ezechue your last post was really ignorant. Cause we have a bad model of democracy doesn't mean we should keep destroying it. And no cheap labour will only save investors while enslaving Nigerians. You ain't economically liberal. No tariff and no regulation is not liberal in any sense at all. Dude please really if others who knows nothing about world economy agrees with you, those who knows will frown at your last post. China has stakes in England too infact China has stakes all over the world. It's not just that England has stakes in China it's business buddy. Your world war story has nothing to do with what we are saying. That's rather irrelevant. Seriously I will rather not school you and let you figure things out. Cheap labour to save Nigerian economy? You seriously are calling for an uprising indirectly. China has the worst model of economy you can point out. Chinese citizens can't afford their own products. Is that what you want for Nigeria? No wonder we went through slavery when we have people thinking like you. Cheap labour is slavery and one of the reasons for slavery is cheap labour. You are not liberal in any way, you are evil at worst. Evil either sub consciously or just plain evil. Bring the factories into Nigeria now and see whether any Nigerian will want to work in a chemical plant that has substances that causes cancer, without health insurance and for a price they can hardly get by on. You are evil and greedy seriously!!!!
Re: Ghana Has One Of The Worst Economies In The World. (forbes List) by davidif: 6:00am On Jun 16, 2010
9jaganja,
That's what i was telling him, that China is sitting on a powder keg. I heard that around 2006, China had 50,000 rural uprisings ( shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked) and i was stunned, the average chinese might not know this because the govt. effectively censors the media to the point that in China, you cannot find Tianamen square when you use google in china. The people's republic of China is unsustainable and it would soon implode especially if they face a depression like Japan or the US in the 1930's or a drought, there would be whole societal upheavals and even the communist party would be thrown out.
Re: Ghana Has One Of The Worst Economies In The World. (forbes List) by EzeUche(m): 6:52am On Jun 16, 2010
9jaganja:

Wow ezechue your last post was really ignorant. Cause we have a bad model of democracy doesn't mean we should keep destroying it. And no cheap labour will only save investors while enslaving Nigerians. You ain't economically liberal. No tariff and no regulation is not liberal in any sense at all. Dude please really if others who knows nothing about world economy agrees with you, those who knows will frown at your last post. China has stakes in England too infact China has stakes all over the world. It's not just that England has stakes in China it's business buddy. Your world war story has nothing to do with what we are saying. That's rather irrelevant. Seriously I will rather not school you and let you figure things out. Cheap labour to save Nigerian economy? You seriously are calling for an uprising indirectly. China has the worst model of economy you can point out. Chinese citizens can't afford their own products. Is that what you want for Nigeria? No wonder we went through slavery when we have people thinking like you. Cheap labour is slavery and one of the reasons for slavery is cheap labour. You are not liberal in any way, you are evil at worst. Evil either sub consciously or just plain evil. Bring the factories into Nigeria now and see whether any Nigerian will want to work in a chemical plant that has substances that causes cancer, without health insurance and for a price they can hardly get by on. You are evil and greedy seriously!!!!

I am realistic. What model would you propose Nigeria to follow? We cannot follow the Western model, because it took hundreds of years for these nations to get where they are. In addition, these countries were built off of the exploitation of other nations. So that model would not be useful for African nations. I prefer the Chinese Model, but there are other Asian models that can be used. Look at the Asian Tigers of South Korea, Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Singapore. These nations were able to develop, especially South Korea which was a backwards nation, but now it is expanding and it is very developed.

We must open up our economy to foreign investors. That is the only way Nigeria will ever become self sufficient. We already import manufactured goods from China and other Asian nations. We need to build up our own manufacturing base by opening up our markets. However, I support tariffs on food imports and the Nigerian government should subsidize our farmers. Any sane nation will protect their own farmers. But that is another story.

No one said that it would be easy, but this is not a quick fix. Rome was not built in a day. The Chinese model is a wonderful illustration of a nation that was an agrarian society but now it is becoming industrialized. Of course the nation has its problems, but it is in the right direction.

FYI, China will continue to rise so you better recognize them. Nigeria has tried the Western model and used those horrible structural adjustment programs and it time we used another alternative. The Eastern model.
Re: Ghana Has One Of The Worst Economies In The World. (forbes List) by Ruq: 6:57am On Jun 16, 2010
Was with as this stupid comparison of China-a country with over a billion people to Nigeria with just 150m people. And you guys call your self economist?? Take 5 guys.
Re: Ghana Has One Of The Worst Economies In The World. (forbes List) by EzeUche(m): 7:09am On Jun 16, 2010
Ruq:

Was with as this silly comparison of China-a country with over a billion people to Nigeria with just 150m people. And you guys call your self economist?? Take 5 guys.

We are using the size scale of China to the rest of Asia with Nigeria to the rest of Africa. It is not hard to see the comparison.

Many economist on the continent and in the diaspora have been interested in implementing the Chinese model to development. Now please do not be so daft to understand and keep up with us learned minds.
Re: Ghana Has One Of The Worst Economies In The World. (forbes List) by davidif: 7:09am On Jun 16, 2010
EzeUche,
China is sitting on a powder keg. I read that around 2006, China had 50,000 rural uprisings (      ) and i was stunned, the average chinese might not know this because the govt. effectively censors the media to the point that in China, you cannot find Tianamen square when you use google in china. The people's republic of China is unsustainable and it would soon implode especially if they face a depression like Japan or the US in the 1930's or a drought, there would be whole societal upheavals and  even the communist party would be thrown out.
Re: Ghana Has One Of The Worst Economies In The World. (forbes List) by EzeUche(m): 7:14am On Jun 16, 2010
davidif:

EzeUche,
China is sitting on a powder keg. I read that around 2006, China had 50,000 rural uprisings (      ) and i was stunned, the average chinese might not know this because the govt. effectively censors the media to the point that in China, you cannot find Tianamen square when you use google in china. The people's republic of China is unsustainable and it would soon implode especially if they face a depression like Japan or the US in the 1930's or a drought, there would be whole societal upheavals and  even the communist party would be thrown out.

That is what the West wants you to believe. China will soon be a world hegemon. The Chinese military apparatus is under the control of their political leaders. Of course there are a few peasant uprisings in that country, but the fact in the matter is that China has done remarkably well.

You do know that in the past 10 years, 250 million Chinese people have become middle class. And their middle class is continuing to grow. Now it may be changes in their government as their middle class grows but the country will not explode like the West wants you to believe.
Re: Ghana Has One Of The Worst Economies In The World. (forbes List) by Nobody: 7:25am On Jun 16, 2010
One question Ezechue can you work for cheap as in below worth? Can you? You are being stoopid not realistic. Do you also know China has been inflating it's own currency intentionally? You want Nigerians to start taking part in Mail order brides business (Hope your sister will be sent to one old fart in Alabama). Cheap labour is exploitation of the poor and disenfranchised. It won't work in Nigeria it leads uprising. China will go down in no time. Look do you want education for all in Nigeria? Do you want all Nigerians to be able to afford happiness? If you do you won't want any Nigerian to work for cheap and exploitative rates. If you don't want happiness for all Nigerians but select few, then may Iyemoja mother of all send sorrow to you and those who don't want happiness for all. Have you been to China? I have and won't pray China for Nigeria even if my life depends on it. You are ignorant and uninformed. Go to China and see for your self.

Even if it will take Nigeria 300yrs to be a near perfect nation (Perfection is a limit things will always be better), let it be. Nothing good comes fast. China is suffering and so are Chinese people. How many mines has to collapse before the world know the working conditions of people there? How many babies has to drink from toxic cups before the world realize cheap labour is evil? If this is what you wish for Nigeria then I pray your baby drink tainted milk too or you work in an about to collapse mine. Go to China before you talk!!! You are misinformed about the world. I was there during the 2008 Olympics and the world look almost over when you go deep into China and see sorrow tears and blood. Nigerians aren't suffering compared to them.

Educate your self spiritually so whatever you can't take you won't do or advocate to others. Evil minded sadist!!!
Re: Ghana Has One Of The Worst Economies In The World. (forbes List) by EzeUche(m): 7:37am On Jun 16, 2010
9jaganja:

One question Ezechue can you work for cheap as in below worth? Can you? You are being stoopid not realistic. Do you also know China has been inflating it's own currency intentionally? You want Nigerians to start taking part in Mail order brides business (Hope your sister will be sent to one old fart in Alabama). Cheap labour is exploitation of the poor and disenfranchised. It won't work in Nigeria it leads uprising. China will go down in no time. Look do you want education for all in Nigeria? Do you want all Nigerians to be able to afford happiness? If you do you won't want any Nigerian to work for cheap and exploitative rates. If you don't want happiness for all Nigerians but select few, then may Iyemoja mother of all send sorrow to you and those who don't want happiness for all. Have you been to China? I have and won't pray China for Nigeria even if my life depends on it. You are ignorant and uninformed. Go to China and see for your self.

Even if it will take Nigeria 300yrs to be a near perfect nation (Perfection is a limit things will always be better), let it be. Nothing good comes fast. China is suffering and so are Chinese people. How many mines has to collapse before the world know the working conditions of people there? How many babies has to drink from toxic cups before the world realize cheap labour is evil? If this is what you wish for Nigeria then I pray your baby drink tainted milk too or you work in an about to collapse mine. Go to China before you talk!!! You are misinformed about the world. I was there during the 2008 Olympics and the world look almost over when you go deep into China and see sorrow tears and blood. Nigerians aren't suffering compared to them.

Educate your self spiritually so whatever you can't take you won't do or advocate to others. Evil minded sadist!!!

What you just said is pure rubbish. I have been to China on two occasions in which on one occasion I visited my older brother who works for an investment firm office in Shanghai. I had the luxury of visiting the rural areas of China and the urban areas so do not make uninformed statements about me. I have seen more of the world than you will ever see in your entire life.

What I am saying is more realistic to the plan, well  you have not even stated an opposing view so who knows what you think. At least the plan I wish Nigeria to pursue is more concrete and has already proven to work. The China of the 1970s under Mao Zaedong was not even industrialized, but now look at China. Many of its cities could be compared to the the cities of Europe.

People suffer everywhere. Go to Europe, you see people suffering, go to the "hoods" of the United States and people are suffering, but that does not equate to revolution. As long as there are scare resources in which a few will be able to benefit from these scarce resources while the majority will not, then there will be suffering in the world.

China will not go down anytime soon. It would be foolish to say so. Where are the signs of China failing? Actually China seems to be only rising and this is starting to worry the West. China investments can be found throughout the continent. China is here to stay. Learn about Chinese history and you will understand that the Chinese are a pragmatic people and were once the most advanced people in the world. They still have their ingenuity.

Now on to Nigeria following the Chinese model. Only the Chinese model will solve Nigeria's problems. Due to the fact that Nigeria is filled with many ethnic groups, there is a need for a centralized gov't. In addition, our economy must be restructured in a way that would attract businesses.

I prefer the Chinese model of EXECUTING corrupt politicians and businessmen. The Chinese do not play around when it comes to corruption and this is what Nigeria needs. Our laws are too easy, well if you could call it law and people get off way too easy in Nigeria.

And concerning the mines in China, you do know that China is still developing? You cannot automatically compare China with the West and its standard, because as a developing nation, it will come across problems as it exploits it own resources. Even in the United States, there was a time that many Americans died in mines and continue to die in mines.
Re: Ghana Has One Of The Worst Economies In The World. (forbes List) by Nobody: 8:02am On Jun 16, 2010
EzeUche:

What you just said is pure rubbish. I have been to China on two occasions in which on one occasion I visited my older brother who works for an investment firm office in Shanghai. I had the luxury of visiting the rural areas of China and the urban areas so do not make uninformed statements about me. I have seen more of the world than you will ever see in your entire life.

What I am saying is more realistic to the plan, well  you have not even stated an opposing view so who knows what you think. At least the plan I wish Nigeria to pursue is more concrete and has already proven to work. The China of the 1970s under Mao Zaedong was not even industrialized, but now look at China. Many of its cities could be compared to the the cities of Europe.

People suffer everywhere. Go to Europe, you see people suffering, go to the "hoods" of the United States and people are suffering, but that does not equate to revolution. As long as there are scare resources in which a few will be able to benefit from these scarce resources while the majority will not, then there will be suffering in the world.

China will not go down anytime soon. It would be foolish to say so. Where are the signs of China failing? Actually China seems to be only rising and this is starting to worry the West. China investments can be found throughout the continent. China is here to stay. Learn about Chinese history and you will understand that the Chinese are a pragmatic people and were once the most advanced people in the world. They still have their ingenuity.

Now on to Nigeria following the Chinese model. Only the Chinese model will solve Nigeria's problems. Due to the fact that Nigeria is filled with many ethnic groups, there is a need for a centralized gov't. In addition, our economy must be restructured in a way that would attract businesses.

I prefer the Chinese model of EXECUTING corrupt politicians and businessmen. The Chinese do not play around when it comes to corruption and this is what Nigeria needs. Our laws are too easy, well if you could call it law and people get off way too easy in Nigeria.

And concerning the mines in China, you do know that China is still developing? You cannot automatically compare China with the West and its standard, because as a developing nation, it will come across problems as it exploits it own resources. Even in the United States, there was a time that many Americans died in mines and continue to die in mines.

You went shanghi and you think you know China already? You are carving evil on a wall of praise here(Sounds like a politician). My opposing view is to have people get paid what the labour is truly worth not cheap labour.!!! I won't start saying what I saw in China!! If you think China is working then food good you. You will understand later or when you acquire a good heart.

I don't mind Chinese model for corrupt politicians but cheap labour? Dude forget it!!!
Re: Ghana Has One Of The Worst Economies In The World. (forbes List) by Gbawe: 9:58am On Jun 16, 2010
redsun:

Ghana may not have a better economy than nigeria but they are more discipline,focus and idealistic as a country than nigeria.

Nigeria is like no man's land where the leaders are outright rogues,hindering the activities of hardworking and ambitious individuals whose efforts are keeping nigeria afloat,i.e,the market women,the farmers,the traders,national and international,the transporters and the handy men and women,name them,all those they call 'petty' are the backbones of nigeria

This is what annoys me. The misconception and jargon bandied around about Ghana that is making Ghanaians complacent and braggadocious about things they should really be worried about.

We have already read ridiculously that Ghana has more potentials to develop than Nigeria !!!!

Do you understand the importance of the SME's (small to medium enterprises ) to the development and economic growth of a nation?

Read the article below to understand why the SME is important. If , after many years of constant electricity in an enabling investment environment , Ghanaian participation in the SME sector in their own country is still pitiful what "better discipline, focus and idealism are you attributing to them?

Nigerians , meanwhile, forced to exist in a harsh and almost prehistoric environment, still remain the most entrepreneural in West Africa by far !!! Does not demonstrate to you that perhaps much maligned Nigerians possess greater discipline, focus and ideals than others ?

It is now the norm to speak of Nigerians as if we are all like our indolent, inept and corrupt leaders while many of you wrongly posit that the average Ghanaian, Ivorian, Togolese, Beninoise is now the personification of focus, discipline and economic potentials merely because of democratic achievements !!

Please invest your energy in urging our indolent leaders to provide an infrastructurally sound environment and you will see what makes Nigerians special . An SME explosion will greatly develop Nigeria. The entire world knows that this explosion will happen if our Government provides the badly needed infrastructural development and policy drive. This is why the USA is now trying to assist us with Power generation.

Ghanaians , on the other hand , have not taken to owning SME despite the presence , for a long time , of an enabling environment. What is feuling the xenophobic behaviour of the Ghanaian govt if not how they realise that they have enslaved their country by letting in various investors who are actually doing better on Ghanaian soil than Ghanaians themselves? How can any sane person then posit that Ghanaians have more potentials to develop their nation than Nigerians? This is why I constantly state that many Nigerians are now self-haters. We attribute qualities to others they do not possess and totally ignore/downplay great qualities we have that others envy us for !!!

Nigeria has the greatest potentials for development in Africa once Nigerians understand that it is a driven, entrepreneural and innovative people that secure development in an enabling environment . We should focus our energy on forcing our leaders to provide an enabling environment instead of casting envious glances at others who have their serious issues .

Others have had an enabling environment for ages yet have done nothing significant it with other than allow foreigners to come and control the wealth and SME sector of their nation. That cannot be a "development model" for Nigeria and it is only ignorance that will make us speak as such.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/The+Importance+of+Small+and+Medium+Enterprises+(SMEs)+in+Economic, -a01073924138

One of the significant characteristics of a flourishing and growing economy is a booming and blooming small and medium enterprises (SMEs) sector. Small and medium enterprises play an important role in the development of a country. SMEs contribute to economic development in various ways: by creating employment for rural and urban growing labor force, providing desirable sustainability and innovation in the economy as a whole .

In addition to that, a large number of people rely on the small and medium enterprises directly or indirectly.
Most of the current larger enterprises have their origin in small and medium enterprises. SMEs are different from large scale enterprises in three main aspects; uncertainty, innovation and evolution. The SME sector itself can be classified into micro enterprises, small enterprises and medium enterprises. SMEs are the starting point of development in the economies towards industrialization. However, SMEs have their significant effect on the income distribution, tax revenue, and employment, efficient utilization of resources and stability of family income.
According to the United Nations Industrial Development Organization UNIDO, for developing countries, integration into the global economy through economic liberalization, deregulation, and democratization is seen as the paramount way to triumph over poverty and inequality. Important to this process, is the development of an animated private sector, in which small and medium enterprises can play a central role.

SMEs have a propensity to employ more labor-intensive production processes than large enterprises. Consequently, they contribute significantly to the provision of productive employment opportunities, the generation of income and, eventually, the reduction of poverty.

According to the statistics, in industrialized countries, SMEs are major contributors to private sector employment. Empirical studies have shown that SMEs contribute to over 55% of GDP and over 65% of total employment in high income countries .SMEs and informal enterprises, account for over 60% of GDP and over 70% of total employment in low income countries, while they contribute about 70% of GDP and 95% of total employment in middle income countries.

SMEs play significant contribution in the transition of agriculture-led economies to industrial ones furnishing plain opportunities for processing activities which can generate sustainable source of revenue and enhance the development process. SMEs shore up the expansion of systemic productive capability. They help to absorb productive resources at all levels of the economy and add to the formation of flexible economic systems in which small and large firms are interlinked. Such linkages are very crucial for the attraction of foreign investment. Investing transnational corporations look for sound domestic suppliers for their supply chains.
SMEs are the major growing force behind the fastest growing economy of China, in terms of contribution to the national GDP (accounting for 40%), scale of assets, diversification of products, and the creation of employment. Similarly, the role of SMEs is well acknowledged in other countries such as Japan, Korea, and all other industrialized economies in terms of creating employment, reducing poverty and increasing the welfare of the society.
Experts and economists are unanimous about the role and importance of small and medium enterprises in the development of Pakistan economy. The statistical data and empirical studies about SMEs highlight the bulk share of SMEs in the economy. According to the Small and Medium Enterprises Development Authority (SMEDA), "SMEs constitute nearly 90% of all the enterprises in Pakistan; employ 80% of the non-agricultural labor force; and their share in the annual GDP is 40%, approximately?.

There are a number of factors responsible for the importance of SMEs in Pakistan. First, SMEs bolster an entrepreneurial spirit and put forward suppleness in the economy. Second, SMEs emanate the fastest growing export sub-sectors, such as cotton weaving and surgical instruments. Third, they can support the poverty alleviation endeavors through employment generation process. Above all, SMEs are more efficient in resource allocation as compare to that of large scale industry from a social point of view. They provide and facilitate the more number of people as compare to that of large scale industry.
It is levelheaded to say that Pakistan economy is an economy of SMEs. The significant role of SME is plainly indicated by research and statistics. However, efforts had remained restricted focusing on the large enterprises, and neglecting small and medium enterprises which are the bone back of the economy. For instance, institutions established to facilitate business activities, like Board of Investment (BOI), Export Promotion Bureau (EPB), Central Board of Revenue (CBR), etc, have been focused their efforts on large scale industry.
SMEs are a distinctive mainstay of the economy that requires owing attentiveness. The evidence shows that small firms are discriminated against relatively large firms. Large scale firms can cope and solve their hurdles due to possessing sound experience and financial position. SME due to their small size and the resulting peculiarities, are far less capable of adjusting and carrying on successful business. While spared direct statutory or administrative discrimination, SME remain subject to unequal treatment, which distorts the competitive environment for business.
There are also some hidden and apparent obstacles in the path of growth of small and medium enterprises in Pakistan. The most important are; political instability, law and order situation, financial constraints, energy crisis, taxation problems, labor issues, lack of coordination and regular information exchange mechanism among institutions, etc.
What it requires is to pursue the precise policy and regulatory reforms to turn SMEs into an effectual instrument for the enhancement of economic growth and employment. Furthermore, the milieu for SME is incessantly changing, especially in the scenario of globalization and openness of the economies. Therefore, the course of action for SMEs should be set for long-run period keeping in mind the predictable behavior of all stockholders.
Re: Ghana Has One Of The Worst Economies In The World. (forbes List) by oloritinu: 9:46pm On Jun 17, 2010
sisi kill, i support you.

nigerians have plank of wood in their eyes and they want to remove the speck of wood in others
Re: Ghana Has One Of The Worst Economies In The World. (forbes List) by adaphik(f): 1:39am On Nov 13, 2010
Without a doubt, I believe their economic policies should be adjusted to encourage foreign investment. That wld go a long way in improving their present economic status.
Re: Ghana Has One Of The Worst Economies In The World. (forbes List) by DapoBear(m): 2:00am On Nov 13, 2010
This was quite an interesting read, glad you bumped this.
Re: Ghana Has One Of The Worst Economies In The World. (forbes List) by Kinful: 4:04pm On Jun 12, 2013
I dont know why someone design his own standard of wealth and says everyone should be by that standard or else you r poor. The west has cheated us many times, stealing our resource to develope themselve and leaving us nothing than confuse african man. Who told u ghana is poor? Has the socalld fobe visited everyghanien house? No. They have design thier own system of wealth. In say that u must have this amount of printed fake dollor or else u r poor. If u measure it by that standard them i will agree that ghana is poor. Is israel richer than us in term of resource? No. What about in term of land ? No. Beside that, nigerian should manage thier own afair and stop rejoicing over the downfall of someone. In measureing wealth in term of dollars, i dont know how a gdp of 40 billion with a population of 25 million is poorer than 240 billion with 180 million. Yes we import onion becuase we have enough money and our leaders chose to. Nigeria is the big brother in west africa u should try to compare your self with the best not the worse . 2015 Ghana will change, we will be comercialise our 100%made in ghana cars.
Re: Ghana Has One Of The Worst Economies In The World. (forbes List) by Nobody: 5:45pm On Jun 12, 2013
i heard around 60% of Ghana's FDI is from Nigeria . is that true?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Obama Or Romney- Who Would You Vote For? / Hitler Said True Jews Were Black / Obama Vs McCain Round 2 Of The Debates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 219
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.