Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,931 members, 7,817,721 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:54 PM

Pay Debt Or Pay Tithe - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pay Debt Or Pay Tithe (6245 Views)

Ghana Millionaire Says He Does Not Pay Tithe / Pay Tithe From The Money You Got From Gambleing, Right Or Wrong? / Do I Need To Pay Tithe Form My Gamble Wins? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pay Debt Or Pay Tithe by natume: 1:14pm On Jun 15, 2010
Even if tithe or tithing was not mentioned in the new testament i see reason to give to the body of christ because in a way i am helping with the spread of his gospel.And that alone is something to be proud of and i am proud of that.
Re: Pay Debt Or Pay Tithe by omar22(m): 1:15pm On Jun 15, 2010
do you know we run into debt a time because we refused to see imortance in the payment of our tithes?I would pay my tithe first and i know God would suprise me because it shows great faith for me to have done such.

Oh please, you run into debt because you want to be in debt,
Re: Pay Debt Or Pay Tithe by omar22(m): 1:17pm On Jun 15, 2010
Even if tithe or tithing was not mentioned in the new testament i see reason to give to the body of christ because in a way i am helping with the spread of his gospel.And that alone is something to be proud of and i am proud of that.

That is offering, and you have to be a cheerful giver not one that gives thinking about the bills he needs to pay
Re: Pay Debt Or Pay Tithe by natume: 1:22pm On Jun 15, 2010
Will i call myself a real christian?No i wont because i am way from that.I know little bible quotes but i suddenly discovered that ever since i starting paying a tithe i hitherto did not believe in i frankly have been seeing a great change in the happenings around me.
Initial when i started tithing and look at what i want to pay as tithe and i see my self as a MUMU but that has change.
The same work i was doing when i was not into tithing is what i am still doing but i have seen and continue to see changes in y doings ever since i put on the habit of paying tithes.
For me,personally i would ever remain an avid advocate of tithe paying.
Re: Pay Debt Or Pay Tithe by larimo(m): 1:32pm On Jun 15, 2010
@ poster, what do you understand by tithing and giving of offerings? Its a service to God. This can be a test.

I will look at it from the point of tithing and giving of offerings. If you give your tithes, according to Malachi, the Lord will rebuke the 'devourer' for your sake. God can make your debtors wait patiently until a later date. Yes He can!

If you don't do tithes because of what you believe but offering, the Bible teaches that give and it shall be given back to you, good measure pressd down, shaken together and running over shall men give to your bossom. If you give sparingly, you reap sparingly, etc.

Which is more important according to what you believe at this stage and in your state? Bringing your tithe/offering /gift to God who makes even your enemies to be at peace with you or paying your debt to the man who is on your neck?

Its your decision to make and its also a question of faith. Thats my perspective
Re: Pay Debt Or Pay Tithe by TV01(m): 1:35pm On Jun 15, 2010
Joagbaje:

Tithing is Gods form of financial security for us .

@Joagbaje, I hope you are well.

I would really appreciate it if you could expound further on your statement above, specifically as follows;

1. Exactly what "financial security" entails
2. Exactly how God ensures that security via the tithe. And perhaps if you have the time /inclination and for completeness,
3. If there are caveats around the security, alternative ways to go about securing it, or perhaps co-dependency on other actions.

Thanks
TV
Re: Pay Debt Or Pay Tithe by nuclearboy(m): 1:39pm On Jun 15, 2010
^^^ Great Great Great grin grin grin The "Bereans" who truly study are here!

Oya Joagbaje, come show your strong reasons
Re: Pay Debt Or Pay Tithe by mantraa: 1:40pm On Jun 15, 2010
@poster
If i lend you N9000, and you agree to pay me back next month. Then next month, if you have my money but decide not to pay me, then in my opinion you are a thief. The bible says thou shalt not steal, so you should give the money back to you creditor. It is not your money to give to your pastor. If you have N10000, 9000 is mine and i want it back!!! You can consider giving N1000 to your pastor but not my money.
Re: Pay Debt Or Pay Tithe by femmy2010(m): 1:41pm On Jun 15, 2010
Larimo,
Yes tithing and offering is just a way to aid the spread and sustenance of the gospel.IO wont give a tithe or offering because i was compel to do so but would gladly give because i know in a way i am aiding the spread of the gospel which not because of the tithing of others maybe and maybe i might not have build the passion i presently have for God.
I give in faith and i know he gives me back bountifully.He is so nice and so sweet that he gives me even before i started paying tithe.
The understanding of what tithes is used for is what makes me see it as a compulsion and not because someone said it it.
For sure if i keep willingly give to his body i a sure i wont lack nor have any reason to contemplate if to pay a debt or pay a tithe.
Re: Pay Debt Or Pay Tithe by femmy2010(m): 1:44pm On Jun 15, 2010
Mantraa,
I will simply tell you to give me more time that i would pay which i am sure God would do.
I wont hide nor to anything close to that and if i willing do sow a seed in God's church then i am sure he would speak to your mind and you would definitely understand when i beg you to give me more ti
me.
Re: Pay Debt Or Pay Tithe by natume: 1:47pm On Jun 15, 2010
smiley
Re: Pay Debt Or Pay Tithe by omar22(m): 1:57pm On Jun 15, 2010
Yes tithing and offering is just a way to aid the spread and sustenance of the gospel

Abraham never tithed on his own personal property or livestock.

Jacob wouldn’t tithe until God blessed him first.

Only Levite priests could collect tithes, and there are no Levite priests today.

Only food products from the land were tithable.

Money was never a tithable commodity.

Christian converts were never asked to tithe anything to the Church.

Tithing in the Church first appears centuries after completion of the Bible.
Re: Pay Debt Or Pay Tithe by mantraa: 2:03pm On Jun 15, 2010
Femmy
Just give me my money back as agreed. My grandmother's operation cannot wait! It is my money and i need it back. The fact that you are even considering not to pay back something which is not yours means that you are prepared to steal someone elses money. Stick to the ten commandments and do not steal what is not yours.

Would you rob a bank to pay your tithes? You must know it is wrong to steal. Your pastor and God will understand.
Re: Pay Debt Or Pay Tithe by larimo(m): 2:57pm On Jun 15, 2010
femmy2010:

Larimo,
Yes tithing and offering is just a way to aid the spread and sustenance of the gospel.IO wont give a tithe or offering because i was compel to do so but would gladly give because i know in a way i am aiding the spread of the gospel which not because of the tithing of others maybe and maybe i might not have build the passion i presently have for God.
I give in faith and i know he gives me back bountifully.He is so nice and so sweet that he gives me even before i started paying tithe.
The understanding of what tithes is used for is what makes me see it as a compulsion and not because someone said it it.
For sure if i keep willingly give to his body i a sure i wont lack nor have any reason to contemplate if to pay a debt or pay a tithe.

so u already have your answer,
Re: Pay Debt Or Pay Tithe by 080Nigeria(m): 3:05pm On Jun 15, 2010
I think that paying your tithe is very important. However, it will make no difference if you pay it just to fulfill righteousness. Equally important is helping the needy, devotion to your country and refusing to bribe the police grin shocked cool lipsrsealed grin
Re: Pay Debt Or Pay Tithe by Toppiano(m): 3:23pm On Jun 15, 2010
Dear Mr. Examiner,

It is interesting to know you are very intelligent to set this question. I am also happy someone would be so daft not to question your intelligence. You seem to understand the bible inside out, therefore you dont need any tutor. However, I want you and everybody around to read and carefully understand that God is not a beggar so your money does not make him richer or poorer neither does it His pastors.

Anyone that takes a prophet as a prophet shall reap the reward of a prophet. If truly you think tithing is not meant for everyone then stop paying, but before then is there anywhere in the bible that God mention your name and pray for you. Then if no, then you are not a serious person. People like you will like to pray and want instant result, but you are not ready to part with anything. Did you not read that proverb 18:16 that says that " a man's gift maketh room for him, "

All the blessings in the bible are not directed to you personally but I guess you claim them all. So stop paying tithe and keep all your money and see if your church will not grow. A day will come you will need your  "thief" pastor to pray for you, and the innocent man will do, only God will judge you.

I am surprised that you bring such an issue to this forum, however I will suggest you try any of the following.

Pray/fast for three days asking God to open your eyes to the truth about tithing or

Start your own church
Dont take offering/tithe
Sebi God did not ask Christians to pay tithe, them invest your money in wonder bank na

You better start praying for forgiveness before God vex and destroy youYou cannot rob God.
Re: Pay Debt Or Pay Tithe by Dangiwa(m): 3:26pm On Jun 15, 2010
It is indeed a commandment to pay your tithe but the unfortunate part of it, is that a lot of falasies has overshadowed the truth.
one of the poster was quoting from Deut. 14:22-29.  I concur to the fact as written in the Bible that we should pay our tithe;  But please pay your tithe as stated below in the Bible not other wise:

Deuteronomy, Chapter 14:22-29 (King James Version)

022: Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year.

023: And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always.

024: And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the LORD thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the LORD thy God hath blessed thee:

025: Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the LORD thy God shall choose:

026: And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,

027: And the Levite that is within thy gates; thou shalt not forsake him; for he hath no part nor inheritance with thee.

028: At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates:

029: And the Levite, (because he hath no part nor inheritance with thee,) and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, which are within thy gates, shall come, and shall eat and be satisfied; that the LORD thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest. [/color]

NIV version

22 Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year.

23 Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the LORD your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the LORD your God always.

24 But if that place is too distant and you have been blessed by the LORD your God and cannot carry your tithe (because the place where the LORD will choose to put his Name is so far away),

25 then exchange your tithe for silver, and take the silver with you and go to the place the LORD your God will choose.

26 Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the LORD your God and rejoice.

27 And do not neglect the Levites living in your towns, for they have no allotment or inheritance of their own.

28 At the end of every three years, bring all the tithes of that year's produce and store it in your towns,

29 so that the Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the aliens, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the LORD your God may bless you in all the work of your hands.

If any one should read through those passage the Biblical Instruction is so clear, which is REMOVE THE TITHE AND SPEND IT ON WHAT SO EVER YOUR SOUL LUST AFTER ,OR YOU LIKE; YOU AND YOUR HOUSE HOLD AND THEN REJOICE IN THE PRESENCE OF GOD,  The issue of the so call pay your  Tithe to your Church to enrich the leadership who end up establishing schools that the children of the poor can not attend; is totally wrong; but rather, THEY ARE TO BE REMEMBERED AT THE END OF EVERY THREE YEARS, ( That is if they actually have the afinity to the Biblical Levi, because some of them are Business center founders.) in a nut shell beware of the wovles falacy meant to enrich their purse at the expense of your IGNORANT

You can also read the following passage in the Bible: Deut. 12:5-7
Re: Pay Debt Or Pay Tithe by ud4u: 3:38pm On Jun 15, 2010
The issue of tithe cannot be over emphasized, provided you are not receiving any punishment from paying the tithe then why not pay it if you are convinced.

@ KunleOshob, no be today I know you, so is people that have not come across you before that will argue with you on tithe and Pastors.
Re: Pay Debt Or Pay Tithe by wazobiang: 4:10pm On Jun 15, 2010
i believe tithe na from net income sha. something u settle after you have settled every. correct me if i am wrong. but i think you need to pay the guy you owe because him too need to pay his tithe from the money he will collect from u.

forget about all those revelations that the cause of your problems are this and that.
Re: Pay Debt Or Pay Tithe by femmy2010(m): 5:04pm On Jun 15, 2010
May God help us and may he please continually showe us with his infite mercies.
Amen
Re: Pay Debt Or Pay Tithe by mantraa: 5:24pm On Jun 15, 2010
@femmy
My grandmother is dying. Please give me back the money i lent you so that i can pay for her vital operation. It is not your money, please dont give my money to your pastor. Give it back to the person who lent it to you in good faith when you needed financial help. Can you not see that that is the honest and correct thing to do?
Do you not understand that if someone lends you money you need to pay them back when you said you would?
Do you not know that if someone lends you money, that person has helped you out when you were in need. That person has trusted your integrity and honesty so return their money to them.
How can you be so heartless an ungrateful to give that persons money to someone else.
You know it is wrong so dont do it.
My children are starving, my grandmother is dying and i need my money back now.

I hope you see the point i am making. Just try to put yourself in your creditors shoes. It's not all about you.
Re: Pay Debt Or Pay Tithe by tlops(m): 5:44pm On Jun 15, 2010
well, tithing is part of christianity,

as for those who think otherwise

"How com no tither are among the richest men in the world today? Even in Nigeria can you claim that the richest people in Nigeria pay their tithes.Someone like Dangote is not even a christian let alone paying his tithes ,yet he remains among the richest men in Nigeria.Why haven't his fortunes nose-dived ? "

well there are universal laws in the bible, since we're all Gods children.
seed time and harvest. seeth thou a man diligent in his ways, he shall stand b4 kings and not ordinary men.
even though dangote may not pay tithe, he gives to the needy around him, he employs those who'll pay tithe,
Re: Pay Debt Or Pay Tithe by femmy2010(m): 5:52pm On Jun 15, 2010

MANTRAA   - Mama is not well
MANTRAA  - SO I NEED MY MONEY NOW NOW OR ELSE HEAVEN WOULD FALL DOWN TODAY TODAY.
FEMMY      - My good friend,i know i have wronged you but please spare me till a month i shall pay then,if i had known that something as compelling as this would have crop up i would have stale my tithe payment till another time BECAUSE THIS IS ANOTHER FORM OF TITHE PAYMENT(saving a life)
We are good friends and i wont lie to you.
FEMY - (talking to himself)
God do not let me down,i know i am a sinner and fall short of your Glory but i beg you to rescue me from this trying time.Make a way where there seems to be no way.I beg you God.

SUDDENLY PHONE RING
MANTRAA      - Hello who is that
VOICE          - Its me brother
MATRAA       - What is the problem,how is mama?
VOICE         - Brother,this is unbelievable,mama just suddenly stood up from her sick bed and demanded for hot       Amala and Egusi soup,she is watching super story as we speak and laughing it off.
MANTRAA  - Unbelievable,BUT
VOICE      - Brother,no but,this is a great miracle and God is indeed a great God.
MANTRAA - Am coming home NOW NOW
HUNG UP

Mantraa    - femmy,i am going home now i will see you later.God is great ooo.
FEMMY       - Hope all is well?
MANTRAA   - Yes,all is very well.Mama is suddenly doing great.
FEMMY       - OH MY,GOD IS GREAT.
FEMMY       -please my friend,as regarding the money i owe you i will pay next month.
MANTRAA   - Money,oh okay i have heard you but please let it not be beyond the stipulated time frame.
FEMMY       - It wont My friend.
MANTRAA   - Am off man.

God would always make the most difficult of situation easy.

1 Like

Re: Pay Debt Or Pay Tithe by nuclearboy(m): 6:18pm On Jun 15, 2010
@femmy:

You and Mantraa have quite a sense of humor. I actually got angry anytime it wasn't one of you posting cos I wanted to see where your drama would end.

Sad to see it end so soon (you seem to have forced it to end). cry

But my bro, [1] you're not supposed to make oaths and then not keep them [2] if you have a gift even at the altar and remember "Mantraa" has something against you, Jesus said not to pay the gift to God TILL you settle the issue with Mantraa. Both issues can be studied in Matt 5.

Wouldn't mind you guys continuing! cheesy
Re: Pay Debt Or Pay Tithe by femmy2010(m): 6:30pm On Jun 15, 2010
Nuclearboy,
Yeah and you have said it well.
Lets wait for a response from my GOOD FRIEND mantraa
Re: Pay Debt Or Pay Tithe by Nobody: 7:05pm On Jun 15, 2010
Money borrowed, is not yours to give to anyone else, including some pastor. Why would you pay your tithes with money that's not yours to begin with? If I borrowed money, either as a loan, mortgage, credit card etc, then I would first satisfy these debts on the agreed dates, before anything else.

In short, I would make my debt priority, tithes can be paid later. Tithes are not necessarily monetary either, they come in different shapes and / or forms. Giving to charities, orphanages etc is acceptable. I don't agree with "pastors" who tend to make their congregation feel guilty, just because they failed to hand over 10% of their earnings.
Re: Pay Debt Or Pay Tithe by ibgreat(m): 7:08pm On Jun 15, 2010
Hi Dude,

I can understand your view on this. But if I may ask, 9k meant for tithe is a tenth of a sum i.e. N90K. So what happened to the balance of N80K?

Please answer.

thank you
Re: Pay Debt Or Pay Tithe by femmy2010(m): 7:12pm On Jun 15, 2010
Siena,
Can i ever say something on the contrary to what someone i remain his fan said?
Hard,so your opinion is highly noted and certainly respected.

My point is that is tithing a compulsion as expressed in many of our churches?The response i get does not matter though as i have made up my mind to always pay it buy it is always good to learn and learning i have learnt today.
Re: Pay Debt Or Pay Tithe by femmy2010(m): 7:17pm On Jun 15, 2010
Ibgreat,
the other balance was stolen(part of the dwindling fortune).
And after a careful look at the past and present it was discovered that things started going bad ever since he cease to pay a tight he hitherto use to pay.
A pastor friend collaborated this claim when he shared his experience after he cease to pay his tithe way in the past
Re: Pay Debt Or Pay Tithe by Nobody: 7:20pm On Jun 15, 2010
ibgreat:

Hi Dude,
I can understand your view on this. But if I may ask, 9k meant for tithe is a tenth of a sum i.e. N90K. So what happened to the balance of N80K?
Please answer.
thank you

Is this a question a pastor would be asking?

Financial matters are pretty personal, and if I was asked what I've spent a portion of my wages on, unless that person is either my wife, or at the very least, a close family member, I would politely tell that person, what I've spent my money on is no business of theirs. I also feel the issue of tithing is taken to extremes in Nigeria, whereby your pastor would ask pertinent questions with regards to your finances.
Re: Pay Debt Or Pay Tithe by femmy2010(m): 7:24pm On Jun 15, 2010
True sir,
One should just pray for God's direction in all our doings .
Re: Pay Debt Or Pay Tithe by ibgreat(m): 7:26pm On Jun 15, 2010
, that means you have not been paying your tithe regularly and if you are you can challenge God for that.

Read Malachi 8:11

Please do reply.

Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Happy 52 Birthday To Pastor David Ibiyeomie / The (so Called) Deleted Books Of The Bible / Craze For Title!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.