Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,751 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:11 AM

The Best Solution To Nigeria's Power Problem - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Best Solution To Nigeria's Power Problem (4772 Views)

We’ll Kill Corruption, Solve Power Problem – Osinbajo / Opinion: Has President Buhari Tackled The Electric Power Problem Silently??? / How Buhari Can Solve Naija's Power Problem In 4 Years. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Best Solution To Nigeria's Power Problem by duvaale: 6:45pm On Jun 26, 2010
The solution to our power problem is not far fetched. Each state of the federation (Including Abuja) in corroboration with their local governments should be compelled to build at least a 200 MW power station to supply power to her towns and cities within the next two years.
The states can choose to generate their power with any of diesel, coal, gas, solar, river dams etc. Any state that  fails to comply should be disconnected from the national grid. Multiple power generating stations spread across the country is also very vital to our national security as the failure of any power station cannot plunge even  a single state into darkness. Every state has the capacity to actualise this project given the enormous sums the states and local governments collect monthly from the federation account as monthly allocation. 200 MW multiplied by 36 will give the country at least 7,200 MW. I think we can build from there.
Re: The Best Solution To Nigeria's Power Problem by paddylo1(m): 6:54pm On Jun 26, 2010
The problem with the above is that states like Lagos probably need close to 3000MW

another problem is finance. . .Globally it costs about $1million to produce 1MW

so 200MW would be about $200million. . which is N30billion

a lot of poor states probably coudnt afford it. .
third would be transmission lines,need to be constructed. .and probably more gas pipelines too. . .

But at least u are trying to come up with a solution so i salute u
Re: The Best Solution To Nigeria's Power Problem by duvaale: 7:00pm On Jun 26, 2010
"The problem with the above is that states like Lagos probably need close to 3000MW

another problem is finance. . .Globally it costs about $1million to produce 1MW

so 200MW would be about $200million. . which is N30billion

a lot of poor states probably coudnt afford it. .
third would be transmission lines,need to be constructed. .and probably more gas pipelines too. . .

But at least u are trying to come up with a solution so i salute u"

Yes, I realise that states like Lagos will certainly need much more than 3000MW. But if all the states
can generate 200MW, you 'll agree with me that Nigeria would have trippled her current power
generation capacity.
Re: The Best Solution To Nigeria's Power Problem by paddylo1(m): 7:12pm On Jun 26, 2010
Yes, I realise that states like Lagos will certainly need much more than 3000MW. But if all the states
can generate 200MW, you 'll agree with me that Nigeria would have trippled her current power
generation capacity.

[b]Yes,but the problem with power is not just building a plant,its transmission,its maintenance or running the plant

I just dont believe GOVT can run anything efficiently. . They will build it,and in 2yrs time they will run it down

also u need to be able to charge commercial prices for that power u generate or else it would cost more money to operate the plants than u are getting back
and then things will slowly start breaking down,like we see with our refineries

So my position is get GOVT out of it entirely,let the likes of DANGOTE,OANDO,ZENON and co,come in build power plants and before 10yrs we would be close to 20,000MW of installed capacity

more importantly,they will maintain the plants when due,they can raise funds from local or international sources for continuous investments to improve transmission lines and so on. . .

U see how our GSM companies always have to invest more money in Improving service
well it will be the same with power,as the more u provide,the more people will be added to the grid,and the more congested it will get

Therefore there will be need for a lot of money for improvement. . right now it is estimated that only 50% of Nigerians are even connected to the grid at all

so this issue is bigger than GOVT[/b]
Re: The Best Solution To Nigeria's Power Problem by duvaale: 7:48pm On Jun 26, 2010
@paddy_lo

I totally agree with you on the issue of privatising power generation and distribution but of equal significance is the issue of decentralising power generation. Every state in Nigeria has the capacity to generate power to, at least, meet part of her local demand. If they choose to do so through private initiative, it's all well and good. Most states in Nigeria you'll agree with me, does not produce even 1MW of electricity and it's dangerous for their security. Just one act of sabotage and the whole state could be plunged into darkness. No serious nation in this modern time depends of few power plants (however large) to meet her power needs. China, I understand has hundreds of coal power plants scattered in various parts of the country.
Re: The Best Solution To Nigeria's Power Problem by paddylo1(m): 8:05pm On Jun 26, 2010
@duvaale

u are right about decentralization of power plants. . but i believe that privatization will solve that problem. . .
Re: The Best Solution To Nigeria's Power Problem by Enjoyment1(f): 8:46pm On Jun 26, 2010
paddy_lo:

@duvaale

u are right about decentralization of power plants. . but i believe that privatization will solve that problem. . .

Hmm! Privatization will go a long way in solving the problem, but it will require proper regulation too.

(1) (Reply)

Former Lagos State Governor Faces Final Trials / "delta State Appoints Murderer As Commissioner" / BREAKING NEWS!!!... IMO Presidential Election Result

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.