Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,189 members, 7,835,953 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:04 PM

Timaya To Phyno: "Marriage Doesn’t Work. Just Have A Child" - Celebrities (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Timaya To Phyno: "Marriage Doesn’t Work. Just Have A Child" (38613 Views)

Timaya To Eedris Abdulkareem: Dirty Looking Igbo Smoker, Stop Blames, Go & Work / Timaya To Eghosa Agnonifo: 'Stop Beating Your Wife' / Marriage Doesn’t Work, Just Have A Child - Timaya Advises Phyno (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Timaya To Phyno: "Marriage Doesn’t Work. Just Have A Child" by mailemy(m): 9:55am On Sep 12, 2018
omooba969:

Thanks.

May I ask what happens in the case of an Igbo woman having a baby (outside wedlock) by a guy from another tribe e.g Hausa, Itsekiri, yorùbá et al.

Does the custody/ownership claim apply to outsiders too? What are the provisions of your tradition with regards to this situation?
Still same applies too since the woman is an igbo,except in some cases the parents of the girl do not want anything to do with the child. But everything depends on the circumstances and how you play your game.

Also,when you keep an igbo woman and both of you stays as husband and wife without doing anything on her head. If she dies,be ready to face every consequences. Before she can be buried,you will have to pay her pride price and the family can sue you for a kidnap.
Re: Timaya To Phyno: "Marriage Doesn’t Work. Just Have A Child" by mailemy(m): 10:07am On Sep 12, 2018
omooba969:

Thanks.

May I ask what happens in the case of an Igbo woman having a baby (outside wedlock) by a guy from another tribe e.g Hausa, Itsekiri, yorùbá et al.

Does the custody/ownership claim apply to outsiders too? What are the provisions of your tradition with regards to this situation?
Also,the child born out of wedlock belongs to who later marries her. Except some circumstances beyond the girls family or just merely freewill can make them compromise. That's igbo tradition on such matter.
Re: Timaya To Phyno: "Marriage Doesn’t Work. Just Have A Child" by omooba969(m): 11:11am On Sep 12, 2018
mailemy:

Also, the child born out of wedlock belongs to who later marries her. Except some circumstances beyond the girls family or just merely freewill can make them compromise. That's igbo tradition on such matter.

I can understand where your sentiment lies and coz you're Igbo I can't win on this one since you've chosen traditional dictates over justice and common sense.

@bolded,

Will that not be day light robbery even as you absorb your Igbo woman of any wrongdoing in the whole matter?

I want to believe you're educated, 'does that aspect of your tradition make sense to you with respect to justice'?
Re: Timaya To Phyno: "Marriage Doesn’t Work. Just Have A Child" by omooba969(m): 11:21am On Sep 12, 2018
mailemy:

Still same applies too since the woman is an igbo, except in some cases the parents of the girl do not want anything to do with the child. But everything depends on the circumstances and how you play your game.

Also,when you keep an igbo woman and both of you stays as husband and wife without doing anything on her head. If she dies,be ready to face every consequences. Before she can be buried,you will have to pay her pride price and the family can sue you for a kidnap.

So simply becoz she's an Igbo all common sense and justice fly out of the window with total disregard for individual rights....wow, that's amusing - incredible indeed ! grin

Obviously, you guys can't try that shît with a crazy dude regardless of where he comes from coz he will simply take y'all on. cool
Re: Timaya To Phyno: "Marriage Doesn’t Work. Just Have A Child" by omooba969(m): 11:22am On Sep 12, 2018
mailemy:

Also,the child born out of wedlock belongs to who later marries her. Except some circumstances beyond the girls family or just merely freewill can make them compromise. That's igbo tradition on such matter.

Are you from Anambra state? smiley
Re: Timaya To Phyno: "Marriage Doesn’t Work. Just Have A Child" by mailemy(m): 11:45am On Sep 12, 2018
omooba969:

I can understand where your sentiment lies and coz you're Igbo I can't win on this one since you've chosen traditional dictates over justice and common sense.

@bolded,

Will that not be day light robbery even as you absorb your Igbo woman of any wrongdoing in the whole matter?

I want to believe you're educated, 'does that aspect of your tradition make sense to you with respect to justice'?
It makes sense bro. Though,not disputing that the child belongs to both biologically. Buts tradition is tradition. It's understandable when you take responsibility and support the mother that can make them compromise. Just like the case of davido,when he was fighting for the custody of his baby. In igbo land and and my part of IMO,in such situation,you cannot own the child by force. It's different in yoruba and most other parts of the country.
The child can choose to be with his dad later in life as an adult and which depends on how you play your part. Not a deadbeat father that wants to reap where he did not sow.
I support such tradition which helps to limit societal ills like having children out of wedlock, the stigma the woman will have to face. Do you know single mothers find it very difficult to get married again in igbo land. Which parent will be happy in such situation,etc...You know the rest.
Re: Timaya To Phyno: "Marriage Doesn’t Work. Just Have A Child" by mailemy(m): 12:16pm On Sep 12, 2018
omooba969:

@bolded,

Let me ask this question. What do you term the baby mama's e.g when post about some notable baby mama's like Davido's and wizkid. We term them hoes. That's the stigma I'm talking about and it's more severe for an average single mother out there. I'm not deviating from our discusion but rather to throw more light on the societal ills. I prefer the Igbo tradition on this matter.
Do the right thing. Better to use a condom if you cannot abstain.
Being a parent is just more than impregnating a woman or childbirth.
Thank you.
Re: Timaya To Phyno: "Marriage Doesn’t Work. Just Have A Child" by omooba969(m): 1:00pm On Sep 12, 2018
mailemy:

It makes sense bro. Though,not disputing that the child belongs to both biologically. Buts tradition is tradition. It's understandable when you take responsibility and support the mother that can make them compromise. Just like the case of davido,when he was fighting for the custody of his baby. In igbo land and and my part of IMO,in such situation,you cannot own the child by force. It's different in yoruba and most other parts of the country.
The child can choose to be with his dad later in life as an adult and which depends on how you play your part. Not a deadbeat father that wants to reap where he did not sow.
I support such tradition which helps to limit societal ills like having children out of wedlock, the stigma the woman will have to face. Do you know single mothers find it very difficult to get married again in igbo land. Which parent will be happy in such situation,etc...You know the rest.

I appreciate your emotions but your argument holds no water. True, tradition is tradition but I believe you quite understand that our law courts are in favour of justice NOT tradition, for those who would like to take the legal path.

Are you trying to say that aspect of Igbo tradition also apply with regards to outsiders?

What's the likely outcome if the father is Igbo & woman is an outsider - does the tradition come to play as well?

Mind you, it's highly important that the mother raises the child regardless - that's my position.
Re: Timaya To Phyno: "Marriage Doesn’t Work. Just Have A Child" by mailemy(m): 4:13pm On Sep 12, 2018
omooba969:

I appreciate your emotions but your argument holds no water. True, tradition is tradition but I believe you quite understand that our law courts are in favour of justice NOT tradition, for those who would like to take the legal path.

Are you trying to say that aspect of Igbo tradition also apply with regards to outsiders?

What's the likely outcome if the father is Igbo & woman is an outsider - does the tradition come to play as well?

Mind you, it's highly important that the mother raises the child regardless - that's my position.
The tradition applies to an igbo woman. An igbo man will have to face the tradition of an outsider,cos it's not only igbo's that practice such. Make your research.
When you talk about the law,a child is meant to be with the mother till the child is 18,while the father pays for child support.
Re: Timaya To Phyno: "Marriage Doesn’t Work. Just Have A Child" by omooba969(m): 4:17pm On Sep 12, 2018
mailemy:

The tradition applies to an igbo woman. An igbo man will have to face the tradition of an outsider,cos it's not only igbo's that practice such. Make your research.
When you talk about the law,a child is meant to be with the mother till the child is 18,while the father pays for child support.

I am yet to find any other tribe or clan that practices such an incongruous tradition.

Maybe you can help with one & I will check 'em out. smiley
Re: Timaya To Phyno: "Marriage Doesn’t Work. Just Have A Child" by omooba969(m): 4:28pm On Sep 12, 2018
mailemy:

I want to believe it's a measure to protect the Igbo woman irrespective of underlying conditions or varying factors surrounding the matter. It's aimed at protecting the Igbo woman whether or not she's promiscuous or wayward. The instrument of such tradition is defeated already but as you mentioned earlier - tradition is tradition. smiley

In such matters, every case is unique and should be addressed on individual merits/basis. I will always advocate for that woman whose rights are denied but not support such divisive aspect of your tradition.

My position though. cool
Re: Timaya To Phyno: "Marriage Doesn’t Work. Just Have A Child" by mailemy(m): 4:46pm On Sep 12, 2018
omooba969:

I want to believe it's a measure to protect the Igbo woman irrespective of underlying conditions or varying factors surrounding the matter. It's aimed at protecting the Igbo woman whether or not she's promiscuous or wayward. The instrument of such tradition is defeated already but as you mentioned earlier - tradition is tradition. smiley

In such matters, every case is unique and should be addressed on individual merits/basis. I will always advocate for that woman whose rights are denied but not support such divisive aspect of your tradition.

My position though. cool
It's a good tradition bro. It protects alot of things and reduces baby mama incidence or having amajiris.
I support the institution of marriage and child bearing.
Re: Timaya To Phyno: "Marriage Doesn’t Work. Just Have A Child" by mailemy(m): 4:57pm On Sep 12, 2018
omooba969:

I am yet to find any other tribe or clan that practices such an incongruous tradition.

Maybe you can help with one & I will check 'em out. smiley
Some parts of Niger-Delta, like Nembe. Some parts of EDO state and that's the ones I can remember for now. But just think about it na,how you go enter a family,give their pikin belle,come carry pikin like that. It doesn't work that way na. After making her 2nd hand,who go marry her for you.
Think about it as a father or a future father.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Top 10 Ex Bbnaija Housemates With The Largest Followers On Instagram / Daddy Freeze Compares Hushpuppi & Biodun Fatoyinbo With Jesus / Khafi Kareem Visits Bisi Fayemi, First Lady Of Ekiti At The Government House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.