Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,610 members, 7,770,617 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 12:08 PM

Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? - Computers (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? (57861 Views)

Can Virtual Private Network (VPN) Provider Increase Your Internet Service Speed? / Yahclick Internet Service / Best (vsat) Internet Service Provider In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by dakmanzero(m): 1:47pm On Oct 23, 2006
the guy who said he gets 70-230k from starcomms: you lie. The starcomms phone is connected via 115.2kbps serial, it CANNOT go any higher. Its normal speed is 9.6kps (i kid you not. I am typing this from a starcomms line) and it can reach 86.4kbps late at night or on public holidays, but the highest burst i usually see is 48kbps.

Also starcomms has some nonsense they do to stop u from sharing the connection, so it may seem slow because they block 'excessive' connections. That means that stuff like bittorent has problems unless u configure it. Even worse, they do NAT which causes almost all p2p programs to choke.

For those of u who just want to browse, its ok. Afterall I use it. But for serious downloaders out there, dont bother.

QUESTION:

Does anyone know whether the starcomms EVDO service has download limits like that nonsensical NETCOM (no offense to netcom lovers, im sure u enjoiy your high speed browsing, but as for me, a 1 gig download limit is more than a rip-off, it is a CRIME for which they deserve to be sued.)

Also does anyone know whether evdo offers 300kbps like starcomms claims, or any net service in the country that offers 300kbps without NETCOM's idiotic download limits.
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by k9(m): 8:56pm On Oct 23, 2006
No matter what any ISP tells you, chances are it is a lie, or at least not 100% correct. If starcoms evdo says they give you 300kb then it is SHARED bandwith. What it ultimately means is that if you were the only one at any point in time on that 'shared' 300kb, then you could acheive d/load speeds of 300kb, but if there are 100 pple online at the same time, then all 100 pple are sharing that same speed, and that sometimes can translate to an average of say 3kb (just a rough example). That is the same way it works with ALL ISP's, perhaps except the dial up companies as they are obviously in another league of their own. So NEVER let the d/load speed they tell you decieve you. Another thing you shuould know is the higher the bandwidth size, the higher the number of people sharing it.

My advice, always go for the cheaper of them as more expensive is no guarantee of better quality/upload time. Unless where they have established names. I would go for a DOPC than a netcom, as DOPC has been there a while and probably would have gotten their act together. And in fact I have gotten their equipment and am all set to go, but unfortunately I dont have a line of sight with their base station. Sad.

I think things will start getting better soon as far as internet, and more importantly broadband internet is concerned, as MTN and GLO round off their fibre optic backbone. When they start offering it to the public, either directly or indirectly, then prices will crash as it has already started, it will be more reliable as fibre optic is known to be than microwave.

And when all this has happened, the next step is to find the messiah that will come and crash the prices of computers in nigeria, as that is still another big hurdle to cross. Then and only then will Nigeria totally and fully start to emerge from it's internet slumber. Then you can expect more people to start actively partaking in e-commerce, and hopefuuly that will be an alternative avenue to them job men/women to look at.
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by ladynoni(f): 10:21pm On Oct 23, 2006
@ dakmanzero and K9,

Thanks guys,

what a gem of info combined with vision and patriotism. I pray we wld soon get out of the internet jungle.
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by otokx(m): 10:58pm On Oct 23, 2006
In Port Harcourt, for now it is reltel and i hear the type of handset used also matters.
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by Saddam: 12:58am On Oct 24, 2006
dakmanzero:

the guy who said he gets 70-230k from starcomms: you lie. The starcomms phone is connected via 115.2kbps serial, it CANNOT go any higher. Its normal speed is 9.6kps (i kid you not. I am typing this from a starcomms line) and it can reach 86.4kbps late at night or on public holidays, but the highest burst i usually see is 48kbps.

Also starcomms has some nonsense they do to stop u from sharing the connection, so it may seem slow because they block 'excessive' connections. That means that stuff like bittorent has problems unless u configure it. Even worse, they do NAT which causes almost all p2p programs to choke.

I am a heavy down loader I used starcomms and P2p clients

The limitation from ur downloading is from ur PC
Especially if u re a Windows Xp professional service pack 2 user

Email me for more details on how to tweak ur system to permit P2P download
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by bioye(m): 7:26am On Oct 24, 2006
dakmanzero:

the guy who said he gets 70-230k from starcomms: you lie. The starcomms phone is connected via 115.2kbps serial, it CANNOT go any higher.
That is only true for some phone models. Because I use a Starcomms HUAWEI phone and it has a 230Kbps modem. And I get close to that maximum speed once in a while.
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by dakmanzero(m): 8:26am On Oct 24, 2006
i use an LG LSP3000. Perhaps that causes the difference, but then i ask you, how is the phone connected? If it is via a serial cable, then I beg u do not pay any attention to whatever your monitoring software says (they lie sometimes)

the best test is just to fire up DAP or getright, max out connections and see what it pulls. Everything else is a lie!

@Saddam:

I use Ares, Azureus and limewire on my starcomms PC. It is indeed possible to configure them to work but just so we are clear the problem is NOT from your PC. As long as u have the right ports open and have the correct exceptions, there is NO reason you should have any more problems.

All the other stuff u have to do on the p2p client are WORKAROUNDS that are poorly supported. Use azureus and see the number of yellow faces you get. Practically any p2p client u use will classify u as a 'leecher' and lower your priority (hence lowering your download speed)

Starcomms does NAT and that causes a problem. Just so you understand, download azureus and take their 'NAT test'.

@K9 eyaa. does DOPC do the download limit thing? I first heard of it from their side waaaaay back in the day. If they have stopped it, i beg pls tewll me of your experiences speed-wise. I need something that will do above 100kbps

thanks
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by agboifo(f): 7:25pm On Oct 24, 2006
I use Starcomms EVDO, so I thought I should share my experiences with you.
I've had it for one month now and it's connected to one desktop via USB EVDO modem. I have set up a local area network and at the moment I am typing this, three other users (2 laptops and 1 desktop) are sharing my connection. Is it fast? That depends. In my experience, the normal download speed is in the region of 60kbps and I have sometimes seen it hover around 100kbps, but it soon returns to 60.

I use it for Skype phone conversations, which is fair enough even though sometimes the voice breaks, but that is rare. A few days ago, I was having connection problems in that it was breaking off after connecting and I would have to reconnect several times, but it seems that hiccup has gone now.

I am happy with it and will not hesitate to renew the subscription at the end of the month. Perhaps I should add that I live in Lekki Phase 1.

My two cents folks.
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by dakmanzero(m): 9:09pm On Oct 25, 2006
@agboifo

thanks a lot for being the answer to my prayers! you have done a lot more for me than you may think. In partcular you have confirmed to me the availability of the usb modem. Thanks!

I just need one more tidbit from you.

when you say 60kbps do you mean kiloBITs or kiloBYTES.

for examplke if you are getting the figure from downloading speeds on maybe DAP or internet explorer, its probably kiloBYTES. Please I'll be VERY grateful if you can make a tiny effort to confirm this.

This is because I need that figure in order to be sure it will meet the needs I will purchase it for, if indeed i do purchase it.

Thanks!
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by agboifo(f): 8:37am On Oct 26, 2006
Hi dakmanzero,

It's kiloBYTES.

Regards,

Agboifo
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by yusuf2(m): 2:07pm On Oct 26, 2006
though this is not the best option, but i guess it's the FREEEEEST and easiest so far,
steps
1. get a CELTEL sim card
2. u must have a wap enabled mobile phone (gprs, wap, , )
3. call customer care for browser settings
4. after activating the browser settings, make sure u can browse with ur phone b4 thinking of connecting 2 ur pc
5. FOR NOKIA PHONES THAT SUPPORT DATA CABLE CONNECTION, connect ur phone to ur pc with uf data cable and with ur already installed pc suite, click on the connect 2 the internet option
6. for other phones, i dont know, the browser configurations may differ

IT may b not b to fast but at least for those that dont deal with downloading stuffs from the net, u can justify the great advantage of being a CELTELITE.

celtel, tun dun dun dun, making life better!
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by dakmanzero(m): 8:54pm On Oct 26, 2006
dude

you just ruined it for everyone else

posting this on the internet for all to see.

*shaking head*

the clock is ticking till when celtel shuts this thing off
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:49pm On Oct 26, 2006
Let me tell you guys something:
I'm using multilinks. And if I had the chance, I would love to try something else.

Multilinks disconnects automatically. I mean when you're in the middle of a browsing session, you just get disconnected. Then "cannot find server" is littered all over your screen.

I wish I had the means. Then I would try all the other ISPs.

How come no one's talking about MWEB?

Tayo
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by graciella(f): 1:37pm On Oct 27, 2006
As i said before, the best internet provider is Alphatess communications network.

www.alphatess.com

for comfort and speed

Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by adewaleafolabi(m): 5:18pm On Oct 27, 2006
the worst of all isp's is still MTS worst wireless they are just simply u**less. i paid for home service tortue. customer service is crap. dial up speed like 2kbps download is suicide, international calls is hopeless what a big mistake. they even had the guts to ask their consumers about how efficient they were. They were so lucky that i wasn't around that day i would have rained hell upon them i wonder how they even passed the so called NCC or whatever.
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by dotunmi: 12:15pm On Oct 28, 2006
Hi k9
Am interested in the package,please let me in and i can afford it ok ?
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by medube(m): 1:44pm On Oct 29, 2006
Hi all,

If you are in PH or Warri and need a reliable internet connection, come to us WebOnLan Nigeria Limited. For one we don't lie about what we give unlike others who use the maximum data transfer rate of the connection like 11mbps, 2mbps,etc to decieve people when they know they cannot afford to sell those kind of BW because of the high cost of getting in Nigeria.

For more details, please visit http://www.webonlan.com

Cheers, !!!
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by exago(m): 5:15pm On Oct 30, 2006
in Ibadan Try sKannet 08060510010
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by omoniger(m): 11:41am On Oct 31, 2006
try Direct on PC.

Very fast but a little bit pricey.

Monthly fee of N7,000

plus you buy the hardware all totally about N100,000

If u've got cash to burn go for Direct on PC
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by declan: 6:07pm On Nov 02, 2006
sycalinks is the best isp now in nigeria.i have tried all other isps,but their services is nothing compared to that of sycalinks nig limited.their prices might be a little bit higher,but what they say on paper is what they will give u.its also a broadband wireless stuff.just check out their website at www.sycalinks.com.
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by ogra2k2(m): 10:20am On Nov 03, 2006
K9, how d i get ur number? i am interested in ur offer
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by tipsy289(m): 9:30pm On Nov 10, 2006
You dont need a phone line-you can use satelite(home type and small business),in nigeria we used M-web and we paid like N200k to setup but its fast and we pay like N18000 every month(i mean 24hrs) and we could use wireless,its fast but f******* xpensive for a start
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by dre901(m): 12:56pm On Nov 11, 2006
Hello People
What a wonderful forum this is.well i use reltel for my internet connection and i must say that they are trying.their speed is about 230.4kps.which is just ok.but the connection breaks too many a time.but thats what you have with dail-up connections.untill broadband services are made cheaper before we can really enjoy internet inthis nigeria.
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by gbadex1(m): 6:01pm On Nov 11, 2006
I bleeping hate isps.
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by opad(m): 11:25pm On Nov 15, 2006
Has anyone used or is anyone using O`NET formerlly odua net, is their internet service okay.
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by gbadex1(m): 3:49pm On Nov 16, 2006
U gotta website for this odua net?
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by Seun(m): 10:37pm On Nov 18, 2006
dre901:

Hello People
What a wonderful forum this is.well i use reltel for my internet connection and i must say that they are trying.their speed is about 230.4kps.which is just ok.but the connection breaks too many a time.but thats what you have with dail-up connections. Until broadband services are made cheaper before we can really enjoy internet in this Nigeria.

Wow, I need to check out that Reltel if it's as good as you say it is!
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by lordimpaq(m): 8:33am On Nov 19, 2006
its still the same thing,

the more users there are in a cell, the slower the speed gets,

the only thing that can save us is DSL, 21st century DSL services are super, its just limited to victoria island and lagos island,

in the UK broadband speeds are achived thru ADSL modems, i mean speeds more than a T1,

the only thing we can do is if the corrent copper cabling structure of NITEL is improved, lets hope on transcorp to do something,
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by Christino(m): 11:18pm On Nov 19, 2006
Impaq how much does 21st century charge for their DSL services?
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by bayo1(m): 7:27pm On Nov 24, 2006
Where on eath did you put DOPC, the cheapest and best as far as i'm concern. You get the modem for =N=75,000 and then quarterly subscription of =N=7200 for 128kpbs. No limit to download, and it offers for 24/7.
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by stillkay(m): 9:14am On Nov 25, 2006
I have always told you guy to try DOPC, it serves you better.
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by dakmanzero(m): 12:55am On Nov 28, 2006
bayo, stillkay

verify that

DOPC has no download limit,m and is 128kbps. Please verify. From what i heard they have download limits. and 75 for 3 months 128kbps? somehow i dont believe that. pls test the download speed n post what it gives. thanks 4 everyhting, bro's

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

To Transfer Pictures From Computer To Digital Camera / Mtn Bis Working Unlimited On Pc's And Android / Grade A USA Used Probook 640 Core I5 For Sale.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.