Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,455 members, 7,770,130 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 05:05 AM

Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? - Computers (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? (57857 Views)

Can Virtual Private Network (VPN) Provider Increase Your Internet Service Speed? / Yahclick Internet Service / Best (vsat) Internet Service Provider In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by lordimpaq(m): 7:01pm On Nov 28, 2006
@dakmanzero

DOPC used to have issues, it would take their best marketing executives to convince me to use them, they are a major let down,

and many people can testify to that, they claim they've overhauled their equipment, but i aint puttin my money on them,
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by stillkay(m): 9:32pm On Nov 28, 2006
I have been using DOPC for over a year now and had no issues with them,i am still using their services presently.
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by k9(m): 12:54am On Dec 14, 2006
WOW, I aint been on this thread in a while. Pweety interesting. Well as I might have said before, we are still a long way away from broadband in Nigeria, or at least the major cities.

After paying for DOPC equipment and 3 months service, the pricks tell me I don't have a line of sight with their base state, but if I can provide them a mast, it will work. I grudgingly buy a 70 feet mast off someone, but I insist that their engineers MUST come test their equipment on the site the mast is located before I spend more money to move it to my house. After lots of phone calls and assurances that their engineers will come for a test run, one particular Indian prick (no offense to Indians generally) tells me that the mast has be at least 120 feet. I tell the animal that your engineer who has been to my house, and who saw the particular mast in question says it would be ok. You sit your silly ass in an office and tell me crap, after I have spent my money to buy the mast. I am really fuming and mad at them and if I really want to get back them, I can very easily cause them some degree if embarrassment. Who knows, just maybe it's a blessing I won't use their service. I would sure hate to have spent so much money on something only to hate their service. That just is one of the downsides to services and costs of this nature.

For now I will just go collect my refund, i.e if they don't begin to speak 'Indian' to me, which will just be a nail on their coffin that I will be sure to do. What it ultimately means is that my hopes of getting a 'non dial-up' internet has been further delayed till heaven only knows when. ahh!

If the problem isn't the cost of equipment, some companies quote 100K for equipment (cobra net, simbanet, cyberspace), then the problem is they you are not in the companies line of sight. Na wah, we have still some road to travel with many basic's of life in this country.
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by k9(m): 1:07am On Dec 14, 2006
A question for agboifo, but chances are high that he won't see this (soon.)

Note for Admin: This is one of the arguments for private message capabilities. If I could contact who I want, then I wont have to be posting this and taking up unnecessary bandwidth, also, I am more certain to get his attention and much sooner too. So think about it if you will.

@ agboifo, if you ever get to read this, How much do you pay for your EVDO, how much did you get the equipment, do you know the areas of lagos that they have coverage? and a few other Qs I can think of to ask about starcoms internet. SHEESH, I NEED A FASTER INTERNET CONNECTION, arrrggghhhh!
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by olsmade(m): 11:09am On Jan 11, 2007
I thinks starcomms is good enough for the home. I use starcomms, though a bit slow, is quite reliable and the cost is not out of this world. I pay about 7000 per month for daytime(9-9) and night(9-9) costs 5000. the whole day costs 10000. although, i think multilinks az more flexible plans lik seven different plans or thereabouts.
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by webbo(m): 7:57pm On Jan 12, 2007
4 laptop browsers i'd definitely recommend the starcomms 1x cdma card. Meant to be 230kbps but hardly exceeds 10kbps. Not for heavy downloads but very stable as long as you r within their network coverage anywhere in Nigeria (unlike EVDO). Paid 20k for the card and got a free month. Monthly subscriptions come in at 10k - 24 hours. Not bad eh?
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by hayprof(m): 10:38pm On Jan 12, 2007
4 laptop browsers i'd definitely recommend the starcomms 1x cdma card. Meant to be 230kbps but hardly exceeds 10kbps

-Same Old Tradition. Dey tell us 5000kbps we get 5kbps.

Not for heavy downloads but very stable as long as you r within their network coverage anywhere in Nigeria (unlike EVDO)
-Abeg, angry Of What use if my Laptop without me making downloads? angry

Paid 20k for the card and got a free month
-Interesting! shocked

Monthly subscriptions come in at 10k - 24 hours. Not bad eh?
-Not Bad.In terms of the Pay And Also Very Bad. Overall lipsrsealed
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by luckytv: 6:57pm On Jan 25, 2007
Every one is bether them Starcomms!

I use Multilinks CDMA connection whit speed 30-60 kbit/s ,but because I need more speed a week ago bey 3G EV-DO PCMCIA Card from starcomms (whit promis 300-600 kbit/s).
But is not true!!! The speed is (30-60 kbit/s normal) and (some time go to 240 kbit/s) download.
Upload is only around 8kbit/s whit time out every 3-4 secons.
Too much internet pages can't open at all.
When I need to send Email I use Celtel (Free of charge) because whit starcomms that is not possible.
I'm already sorry for my second choice.

Excuse for my bad English.
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by jjuummaaii(f): 2:18pm On Feb 05, 2007
to me i think reltel is the bomb. they give you a pocket PC for 25k and 4 the first month u hav a 24hr accesss to the net and then in subsequent mnths u pay ur monthly subscription based on whatever plan you choose ranging from 5k - 15k. its good at least thats what i use and i CAN VOUCH 4 THE speed at least in Abuja.
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by hypoxia(m): 5:13am On Feb 09, 2007
Please can anyone help me with good info?I live in Ibadan.I want to connect to the Net with my Starcomms line(handset).Guy who sold the line to me said I have to buy their data card.Abeg, isnt it possible to connect using the handset?Someone said it is, with some software, a cable and configuration of my laptop by Starcomms.I suspect the guy just wants me to spend money Then, apart from Ib, Lag, PH, Kano and maiduguri, where else has Starcomms been launched?
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by Meetme07: 4:32pm On Feb 09, 2007
Hey, I found DOPC really reliable and its tru there is no download limits on any of their plans and Its Naira 7000 per month and hardware NOW DROPPED to Naira 40,000. So I think they are doing a good job. Its prepaid scratch card with efficient Customer support. I think go and check out. I am using since last 18 months now
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by Meetme07: 4:34pm On Feb 09, 2007
Hi Hypoxia its available even in Ibadan. smiley
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by gbengaijot(m): 4:59pm On Feb 09, 2007
What do you guys think of someone doing biz by setting up a vsat, and getting people to access internet via the vsat, and charging them for it every month. WOnt that be a good business strategy?
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by Seun(m): 9:53pm On Feb 09, 2007
Vsat would be too expensive because SAT-3 fiber-optic bandwidth is now available!
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by hypoxia(m): 11:13pm On Feb 09, 2007
Thanx meetme07, but u haven't answered my first question: can i use my handset( which I already have!) in connecting or not, or do I HAVE to buy a data card at 14000 naira.
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by gbengaijot(m): 12:29am On Feb 11, 2007
@seun, how do you get SAT-3 fiber-optic bandwidth. can it be used for a sub isp,
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by Seun(m): 7:35am On Feb 11, 2007
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by alextim: 9:26pm On Feb 12, 2007
Have anybody tryed SWIFTBROADBAND internet services?
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by Christino(m): 11:30pm On Feb 12, 2007
@ Alex

Dat's d bomb right now. but it's not cheap! wink its veery fast and it's Wi-max!
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by alextim: 10:05pm On Feb 14, 2007
Finally I tryed Swift myself. I grab Classic (24h, 384kbitpersec shared, 30k for equip, 15k monthly excl. VAT) and got only 50kbitpersec up and 50kbitpersec down in peak-time . Of course it's shared bandwidth, but not 7 times less than declared undecided It's a speed of dial-up on good line in Europe.
Please, advise good wireless Internet service in VI (24h, unlimited, stable speed >128k) for 10-15k/month. Is it possible in Nigeria?I doubt cry
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by Meetme07: 4:39am On Feb 22, 2007
There are many but try Direct On PC. They have a good coverage in VI and you can get 160 Kbps in 15,000 Naira per month. H/W is 40,000 Non Line of sight. I ma using their service since long.
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by Meetme07: 4:49am On Feb 22, 2007
Hi Hypoxia I think you need to purchase a new Radion worth 40,000 and then 21,000 for 3 months.
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by Ladapo(m): 5:33pm On Apr 05, 2007
Broadband Internet Service by ITCLICK Networx Limited

ITClick provides individuals and corporations quality Internet service using various connectivity methods as required by customer’s needs:

Broadband Metro Wireless Internet

Since 2002 ITClick Networx Ltd has been delivering world class wireless networking and internet technologies with industry leading customer service.

they are an (ISP) surpassing customer expectations in providing unwired broadband internet freedom to homes and offices using Metro wireless technologies.

Being able to deliver broadband freedom empowers their clients to expand their borders and look beyond. ITClick currently has 12 base stations in Lagos and Abuja.

ITClick would be expanding coverage in 2007 with the addition of more base stations in Lagos and Abuja and the opening of new network operation centers in two more cities.

Partnering with customers they focus on using the most appropriate security, networking and internet technologies (including VoIP) that scales to the needs of businesses throughout Nigeria.

C & KU-band High speed Satellite Internet using the award winning Net Modem II or World Connect IV combo router.

ITClick connects customers directly to the Internet or to a worldwide MPLS backbone owned by UUNet. Access to the Internet is provided via a direct satellite link, eliminating additional ISP charges, numerous hops through multiple routers, and public network congestion. ITClick brings customers Internet presence directly to the source by providing web hosting at the state-of-the-art teleport facility where our hub is located, and which is connected directly to the Internet backbone via redundant OC12 fiber connections.
ITClick’s broadDirect™ Solution utilizes the iDirect technology, a state-of-the-art VSAT system that was designed from ground-up to support TCP/IP applications. The system has built-in features that provides protocol enhancement over satellite, Web acceleration, TCP acceleration, Application QoS, and Real-time traffic Management capability. ITClick’s broadDirect™ system has the ability to support numerous applications over a satellite system, including:
1. High speed two-way Internet surfing
2. E-Mail
3. FTP
4. Multicasting
5. VPN
6. VOIP
7. Streaming Video
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by skipo87(m): 4:49pm On Apr 09, 2007
hi everyone. has somebody heard about cool link internet access. i think its the best so far with a 24hrs connection that goes for N4000 plus, an evening access (8pm to 6am) for N2000 plus and a weekend connection for only N1500. I also heard the connection speed is out of this world. i really don't know much about it. i saw the advert in a newspaper. i also have their phone numb if u need it, let me know via this thread. wink
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by alchemist(m): 12:02am On May 24, 2007
STARCOMM IS THE WORST INTERNET CONNECTION HAVE USED,ThEY DONT UPGRADE THEIR SERVER AND INTERNET CONNECTION IS SLOW.AND NOW THEY HAVE A PAY AS YOU SURF PLAN WHICH THEY CHARGE 5.00 PER MIN OFF PEAK AND 7.40 PEAK PERIOD WHICH IS INSANE, MORE LIKE WE ARE STEALING TO BROWSE.MULTILINKS IS STILL PREFERABLE.
HAVE TRIED OUT MULTILINKS BUT OF RECENT THEY HAVE BEEN HAVING SOME PROBS OF THEIR OWN TOO.SLOW CONECTION AND CONNECTION PINGING OUT,NOT STEADY.MAYBE I WILL TRY OUT RELTEL AND I HOPE IT WILL BE BETTER.ANYBODY WITH A GOOD OPTION OR IDEA FOR BROADBAND, AM TIRED OF THE SICK AND SLOW DIALUP.
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by fashigiggs(m): 10:41am On May 25, 2007
Well u can also know abt MTS internet service they hav the same service plan as starcoms but i think their charge is affordable their lowest charge is N 2,000 for 5 or six hrs.
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by fashigiggs(m): 10:41am On May 25, 2007
Well u can also know abt MTS internet service they hav the same service plan as starcoms but i think their charge is affordable their lowest charge is N 2,000 for 5 or six hrs.
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by nawa1(m): 11:09am On May 26, 2007
in PHC i think starcomms is the best. i've been using em 4 months now
and i've got no probs downloading or whatsoever.

if any other service provider is better here in PHC

pls explain.
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by kitaun(m): 8:31pm On Jun 16, 2007
i heard Reltel users aint browsing no more, could some one confirm this for me undecided
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by hayprof(m): 10:13pm On Jun 16, 2007
kitaun:

i heard Reltel users aint browsing no more, could some one confirm this for me undecided

Hmm, Is this true?
-Cos i was trying to get their internet connection undecided
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by kitaun(m): 10:58pm On Jun 16, 2007
dont even go there shocked

I learnt they have been using a particular UK Ip which they didnt pay for . . . cheesy

even these corporate institutions like awuf shocked grin grin
Re: Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? by DoubleN(m): 10:36pm On Jun 18, 2007
Can u guys believe that starcomms is only 4kb/s instead of the advertised 230.4kb/s?what a rip off!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

To Transfer Pictures From Computer To Digital Camera / Mtn Bis Working Unlimited On Pc's And Android / Grade A USA Used Probook 640 Core I5 For Sale.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.