Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,268 members, 7,829,571 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:55 AM

The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! - Politics (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! (65634 Views)

Buhari’s First Speech After The Military Coup Of 31st December 1983 / Names Of 1966 Coup Plotters.judge For Your Self & Say If It Was An Igbo Coup / Revisiting History: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Katsumoto: 5:39am On Jul 27, 2011
Chyz,

Any more lies or factual inaccuracies? You ignored the fact that your lies about origin were exposed and attempted to mis-represent my post by claiming Oji wasn't in my original list. Clearly, you didn't read the post well.
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Chyz2: 5:42am On Jul 27, 2011
Katsumoto:

Chyz,

I hope you have not gone to the author of that rubbish article to manufacture another article with all the plotters coming from Ijebu?

Look at the list I posted again and see whether Oji is listed there under Captains.

You are free to manufacture animosity on my part if it suits you. As far as you are concerned, [size=14pt]I am a bigot but I could care less[/size]. That is what people like you resort to when facts are handed to you. I was merely stating that it is dumb to expect non-easterners to care about sub-groups. In Nigeria, you are either Yoruba, Hausa, Fulani, Urhobo, Igbo, etc. Most people don't go down to sub-groups or villages. To hammer on that is plain disingenuous on your part. They were Igbo, end of story.

Like I said, Okafor is the only individual that I don't know the particular area that he is from. The rest, I got from books. You should try reading them (books) every now and then. If you did, you wouldn't be asking whether I am sure about what I posted.

Ijebu?? How did they get into it? Lol. Sorry, I have no type of hate or animosity against yorubas whether from Oshogbo, Ijebu, or wherever. Never have,never will. If they weren't in it, they weren't in it.

As for facts, you handed my no facts so we can cut that claim out now. Any ways, you can do as you feelz. cool

"You should try reading them (books) every now and then"<------DIdn't know you were this humorous.

Contradiction:

Katsumoto:

Like I said,[size=13pt] Okafor is the only individual that I don't know the particular area that he is from[/size]. The rest, I got from books.You should try reading them (books) every now and then. If you did, [size=13pt]you wouldn't be asking whether I am sure about what I posted[/size].

Now you all see why I call this guy a small boy. Contradicts himself in just 4 short sentences. It's ok though. It go betta! wink
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Chyz2: 5:48am On Jul 27, 2011
Katsumoto:

Chyz,

Any more lies or factual inaccuracies? You ignored the fact that your lies about origin were exposed and attempted to mis-represent my post by claiming Oji wasn't in my original list. Clearly, you didn't read the post well.

Oh yea? Bruhahah, go back and re-read my brother. See wonderas. cool
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Katsumoto: 5:48am On Jul 27, 2011
Chyz*:

Ijebu?? How did they get into it? Lol. Sorry, I have no type of hate or animosity against yorubas whether from Oshogbo, Ijebu, or wherever. Never have,never will. If they weren't in it, they weren't in it.

As for facts, you handed my no facts so we can cut that claim out now. Any ways, you can do as you feelz. cool

"You should try reading them (books) every now and then"<------DIdn't know you were this humorous.

Contradiction:

Now you all see why I call this guy a small boy. Contradicts himself in just 4 short sentences. It's ok though. It go betta! wink

It simply means that the information regarding Okafor's origin is missing in most books and articles. At least I provided the origins of the others; which is more than you could have hoped for. Oh lawd, you just keep making it easy. You are being flogged in every which way and you are resorting to childish tactics.

At least acknowledge your failed attempts at lying and mis-representing. You were caught making bold faced lies. You also posted some thrashy article without any source, link, or author. You are a waste of time. I could have said u should up your game but it isnt that easy.

1 Like

Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Chyz2: 5:56am On Jul 27, 2011
Katsumoto:

It simply means that the information regarding Okafor's origin is missing in most books and articles. At least I provided the origins of the others; which is more than you could have hoped for. Oh lawd, you just keep making it easy. You are being flogged in every which way and you are resorting to childish tactics.

At least acknowledge your failed attempts at lying and mis-representing. You were caught making bold faced lies. You also posted some thrashy article without any source, link, or author. You are a waste of time. I could have said u should up your game but it isnt that easy.

Is this how you make yourself feel better? Lol. You've been saying such for the past replies. You've been flogging who. Look I have given you a real whoopin tonight just accept it and go about your business. Everyone who reads where we started will know. Any way, I'm done. Next time learn to stop talking nonsense and speak truth, ok? Odabo! grin
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by oduasolja: 5:08am On Feb 07, 2012
after reading this. theres no question in my mind that the country should have been broken up then and there. but i still blame the igbos for begging the north to come into nigeria ,then starting shit with their first coup.

now this does not mean i support biafra. cus theres definitely illegality there.

1 Like

Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by warrior01: 7:19am On Feb 07, 2012
pls whatz illegit about biafra? moreso, why are u always scared of biafra?
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Mrfemi1: 12:02pm On Feb 07, 2012
can you guys just stop fighting show some respect for one another ,
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by tunnytox(m): 9:48am On Mar 10, 2012
Very interesting thread cool I.m so happy that the table was eventually turned and many of those blood suckers coup plotter were killed.
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by nafiachi(m): 8:21pm On Nov 13, 2013
EzeUche:

This brings tears to my eyes. Ironsi should not have surrounded himself with Northern soldiers.

I hope Igbos will never forget this. As long as the Igbo man walks the Earth, I hope they never forget.

Yh u r right the igbos should never forget this, just as we will never forget the killing of our own leaders, the igbos got what they deserved as at then

1 Like

Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Nobody: 10:46pm On Nov 13, 2013
EzeUche: Babafemi Ogundipe was very weak. His own soldiers disrespect him. He was not part of the counter-coup, but he did nothing to stop it.

You want him to stop the shi..t your people created knowing the fact that Northerners occupy 75% of infantry in Military?... Even a northern Lt. Colonel Muhammad Shuwa have to flee in KANO when his troops mutined and joined kano civilians and Killed Igbos... Lets be sincere for 1s nw... Did u read the part that explain How Adekunle waz almost killed becoz he create save passage for igbos to flee? U dnt see dat ryt? Oga o
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Nobody: 11:05pm On Nov 13, 2013
omenala: Its a pity each time i read accounts of the events before and after the war i go numb. Lessons learned in blood are not easily forgotten, so it beats me silly why we have allowed murderers and coup plotters to rule us for so long. And even put the face of a brutal murderer on our 20 naira note. No one should ask why, or blame the igbos for hating northerners, for "there can be no love where there has been blood".
Learn to read between lines... Northerners constitute 75% of military... They dominate infantry and signal dept... And no coup is possible wtout Involvn Infantry and signal... Wat would u av done if u re of d age u're nw at dat time?
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by brixton: 1:00am On Nov 14, 2013
booked
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by IGBOSON1: 1:28am On Nov 14, 2013
EzeUche:

This brings tears to my eyes. Ironsi should not have surrounded himself with Northern soldiers.

I hope Igbos will never forget this. As long as the Igbo man walks the Earth, I hope they never forget.

^^^Some moro/ns amongst us have already forgotten as we speak! Our problem is that we don't know how to hold a deadly grudge and be vindictive like the northerners!......we are always prepared to forgive and forget all too readily! There are some people it would be; if they couldn't win on the battlefield, they'd revert to guerrilla warfare and scatter the whole country.....gradually assassinating all those war criminals while they're at it!
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by IGBOSON1: 1:37am On Nov 14, 2013
Olamagnifico: Learn to read between lines... Northerners constitute 75% of military... They dominate infantry and signal dept... And no coup is possible wtout Involvn Infantry and signal... Wat would u av done if u re of d age u're nw at dat time?

^^^So where did the Biafrans get the liver from to engage them in a war for 3 years!

These excuses for failings when we had the opportunity to free ourselves from these beasts need to stop! Of course with the benefit of hindsight (and the world wide web wink), if the same opportunity presented itself again today, we'd be a lot wiser trust me!

Anyone that wants to know why the Biafran war isn't taught in schools needs only to read the gory details posted by the OP and they'd know why!

1 Like

Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by tonytony208(m): 2:34am On Nov 14, 2013
chyz: Exactly. It think the whole civil war thing was hypocrisy committed by the North actually being that they(the northerners) were seceding and found it plausible and had a right to leave Nigeria but when another part tries to do so then that part is trying to kill "One Nigeria". The whole of southerners look like rags used by the north in the story.

we still are bro; yea we are still rags to them. No wonder they always have this "born to rule mentality". Only God knows what the foreign diplomats from US & UK told them before they dumped their seccession intention. May be that was when the "born to rule" seed was first sown. I had been a strong advocate of "One Nigeria" until i read the piece above. Going by the story above, i dont see how we southerners can actually have full freedom and sense of belonging in nigeria. At this junction, i think it will be perfect for all to divide and go our different ways. Let the numerous northern army marshal things over their fellow northerners. The only ones i pity are people in kwara and kogi states, who are supposed to be part of the south.

1 Like

Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by lacasa: 7:30pm On Nov 14, 2013
The igbos felt they cld get away with Murdering the North's political and Military Top Hierarchy easily, but lil did they know they were Sparking their own fuse ffor destruction.m

Wen 1966 is mentioned, I will always be proud of my Northern Soldiers for avenging the deaths of our Greatest Leaders.

RIP Balewa, Maimalari, Balewa, Akintole and all men wwwho fell to the cowardly attacks by those deegenerates.
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by ecosanders: 9:50pm On Nov 14, 2013
[quote author=EzeUche]

The counter-coup could have been prevented. Ironsi surrounded himself with Northerners to appear that he did not have any ethnic biases. He should of surrounded himself with trusted Igbo and Yoruba soldiers.

This nation would have been divided if Western diplomats did not play a role in keeping this nation one.
[/quote so u see nothing wrong in d January coup? Wen d coup was going on all d Ibo leaders are nowhere to be found,] ironsi went on a boat party, after d coup he took power and refuse to bring d coup plotters to justice, but send then to prison in d east, while d Ibos jubilate round d town even in Northern town wit pictures of Sardauna' s corpse. And u expect all dis to come without repercussions?
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Mudley313: 3:10am On Mar 27, 2015
EzeUche:

To think that there are Igbos on NL who support Buhari.

Someone who killed their kinsmen during the counter-coup.  

And then the Buhari supporters wanted us to vote for him?  angry angry angry

As we reach the time for yet another general election, I think it will only be fair to re-resurrect this thread
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by gists: 4:40am On Mar 27, 2015
chyz:
[size=18pt]The Northern Counter-coup of 1966: The Full Story[/size]

http://www.dawodu.com/coup2.htm
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 5:20am On Mar 27, 2015
seanet02:
Thank you.
No ezeuche, Yoruba soldiers were not part of the coup in anyway, so please leave them out of this.
It was so evident that ironsi knew something about the January coup when he refuse to bring the ibo officers to book.
The counter-coup could have been prevented with the appropriate trial of his kinsmen who carried out the January coup but he refused and prepared his own grave doing so.
you can say that a million times the ibos will not reason with you. they are paranoid
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by internetpirate: 12:50pm On Mar 27, 2015
Some days ago, I read about some Yoruba criminals in the US; by your admission, the whole Yoruba race is responsible for that?

Doesn't it sound silly? Holding the whole Igbo race responsible for the actions or inactions of 3 "Igbo" sons? (I put parenthesis on the word Igbo because people from the areas these Majors hailed from claim not to be Igbo any more- what irony!!!)

Blackteeth:
I think they igbos were the cause of their predicament. They war would certainly have been avoided if those igbo officers did not act the first coup.
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by internetpirate: 12:56pm On Mar 27, 2015
As an adult (which I hope you are) and knowing the power of propaganda, do you actually believe that tripe you wrote? Knowing human nature the way it is now, do you actually see the Igbo race dancing makossa to the deaths of the northern leaders? Or was it just an isolated incident that was blown out of proportion? If you can check your conscience and intellect before answering this questions, I would be sincerely grateful!

[quote author=ecosanders post=19542469][/quote]
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by internetpirate: 12:57pm On Mar 27, 2015
You are truly a creep! That's all I can say!

lacasa:
The igbos felt they cld get away with Murdering the North's political and Military Top Hierarchy easily, but lil did they know they were Sparking their own fuse ffor destruction.m

Wen 1966 is mentioned, I will always be proud of my Northern Soldiers for avenging the deaths of our Greatest Leaders.

RIP Balewa, Maimalari, Balewa, Akintole and all men wwwho fell to the cowardly attacks by those deegenerates.
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by deskossy(m): 5:23pm On Mar 27, 2015
Did aguiyi ironsi have any surviving child?
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Patebere(m): 4:33pm On Apr 27, 2015
I appreciate all ur comments and commitments to d nation, Nigeria. I hav my own opinions too. 1st, I dn't tink there is any need 4 disintegration again. I believe we've outgrown it. We hav tried it several times b4 and it failed. As 4 d coups, I believe Nzeogwu was doing wat he tot right, it's just un4tunate that luck ran against him,maybe due to the mistake of some of his comrades. So, I dn't blame him. As 4 d war, Ojukwu was also doin wat he tot right. But he should hav knw beta as an experienced army officer, what the consequence of war would be on his pple esp when they least had wat it take to prosecute a war. So, I tink wat we all, irrespective of our tribe or region, should do now is to go bak 2 d drawin board 2geda to plot a map on reform. In order to consolidate our past and build the future.
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Phemorinho(m): 6:05am On Apr 18, 2016
EzeUche:
Babafemi Ogundipe was very weak. His own soldiers disrespect him. He was not part of the counter-coup, but he did nothing to stop it.

I take an exception to that statement. Not participating in the counter coup doesn't qualify him as being weak. Instead,he called for the most senior northern officer to speak to his men,because death was imminent for non northern officers....pls don't defame my grandpa
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by hakanai(m): 7:24am On Apr 18, 2016
seanet02:
Let us be sincere with ourselves, ibo officers of the january coup were the remote cause of the murdering of ibo officers and civilians in the counter coup.
When you carried out a coup in which all your own tribesmen earlier marked for assasination escaped without a scratch and other people tribesmen were massacred then you should bear the brunt.
Ironsi now put petrol for fire, instead of putting the mutineers to trials and appropriate punishment meted out to them you just put them in Prison.
People should put themselves in the shoes of the Northern troops.
Though bello, Balewa and Akintola were the cause of all this, the moment they cooked up stories against Awolowo and jail him unfairly they should have know karma is a *****.

Or the fact someone like Nzeogwo will turn around to someday betray the Sardauna in Kaduna and boost about murdering him.That is despite benefiting from Kaduna as a home.It simply shows the treachery, betrayal, and deftness of the Igbo soldiers who instigated the first coup. If not for them we did not know of a coup. If not for them someone like Nzeogwu would be as Northern as any Northerner.We would have professional soldiers with discipline.Saying the counter-coup saw the disobedience of superior, It is factual that it started with SE junior officers who decided to disobey the laws of Nigeria and murder the constitutionally recognized government of Nigeria. To even think Nzeogwu's surname was Kaduna!

They started it and should not cry blue murder because the tables turn. Again they got what they deserved and ripped what they sow.If it had happened the other way will they lay quiet about it. I doubt!The first pro Igbo coup was uncalled for and they had the options like not killing the Leaders. The could have arrested them tried the leaders and be reasonable about dealing with them!It was a choice they had. But because of the hate they had for the Northerners, It was murder they preferred and so it became. You showed our leaders not quarter. Don't expect any from ours. Shikenan!

What did they(Igbos) expect after you round up our respected or elected sons and elders kill them in despicable ways and arrogantly show off your price.Did you expect us to share a bowl of meal with you and pretend it didn't happen or what? You got to be joking!They always think they are smart but often they are daft in there judgment and decisions to handle situations.

You may want to ask how come the Juniors officers who carried out the coup had no northern person involved considering there claim the goal was to tackle the corruption in the government then? Is it that the north was not suffering same corruption or what? If it was truly national we should have had a combination of officers from all the zones. Somehow it is only one section that deems it fit to carry out a coup and only leaders from zones excluded in the plot get killed.

3 Likes

Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by greenify: 9:30am On Apr 18, 2016
No wonder we are still in this kind of Shit till now.Our political foundation was blood led, evil led, full of betrayers and bad.
We only need God intervention before we can be United. If this history us true, o boy!! We have a long way to go. The people who are still ruling u still date coup plotters or have link to them.
I can see dat this common saying ''One Nigeria'' is flook.
Evil begets evil.
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by gidgiddy: 10:01am On Apr 18, 2016
deskossy:
Did aguiyi ironsi have any surviving child?

Yes. Ironsi's first son, Thomas Aguiyi-Ironsi, was actually with him in Ibadan when he was abducted by TY Danjuma. Thomas Ironsi was later made a special advicer during OBJ's tenure.

The first coup and the counter coup that followed and the eventual war are all testament to the fact that we should all go our separate ways.
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by greenify: 10:16am On Apr 18, 2016
A question I want to ask is can we be Truely United?
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by greenify: 10:56am On Apr 18, 2016
Wht amazed and surprise me is how d hausas in d military all agreed and United towards eliminating igbo in d army without d information leaking to d govt. This is one of d unique character in hausa. Their go is go, no matter how.
That is what makes hausas different from other tribe but I dislike uniting together to perpetrate evil. The Igbo and hausas were wrong in my own perspective. What have all these grievous mistakes by the igbo and hausas brought us today?
A yoruba man will leak a secret to his ibo or hausa friend if yoruba people are planning a coup like this. The coup will not even succeed.
We still have these leaders with innocent blood on their hands ruling us. Their children, grand children and relatives are still in in d govt till today. With all these, to say d truth we can't love ourselves. How will you convince me hausa, igbo and yoruba will love each others. Imba I can't agree. We all started with evil so how do we leave our devilish act.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Fayose Involved In Motor Accident On 3rd Mainland Bridge / Governors Elected In 2019 Election (complete List So Far) / Dino Melaye Asks Festus Keyamo To Recite Second Stanza Of The National Anthem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.