Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,768 members, 7,809,960 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:52 PM

See What Sanusi Has Done To HiTV. They've Lost Premiership Rights! Painful! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / See What Sanusi Has Done To HiTV. They've Lost Premiership Rights! Painful! (9457 Views)

Alison-maueke; Sanusi Has Totally Lost His Mind – Fani-kayode / This Is What Sanusi Lamido Has To Say On Gen. M Buhari / CBN Governor Lamido Sanusi Has 7 Bullet-Proof Cars - CKN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

See What Sanusi Has Done To HiTV. They've Lost Premiership Rights! Painful! by PapaBrowne(m): 5:29pm On Jul 23, 2010
Nigeria’s most lucrative television rights, the English Premier League, EPL, changed hands Tuesday in a $100 million high wire business deal that saw up and coming Nigerian broadcaster, HiTv lose out to DSTv, the multi-channel digital satellite television company. The new deal was signed in London. BusinessDay learnt that HiTv which emerged as the highest bidder paid only $40 million of its bid price of $115 million and did not provide guarantee of the balance on the due date.

It is understood that directors of HiTv were working round the clock negotiating funding with bankers when the deadline for payment expired. It was at this point that owners of the EPL right called up DSTv to make good its bid. DSTv promptly wrote a cheque for $100 million and the deal was signed. Analysts were quick to point to the pervading banking liquidity issues as HiTv’s main obstacle rather than the bankability of the EPL project. Some analysts warned that more companies are gradually dropping off the radar because of the persisting liquidity squeeze in the system.

“This confirms the fact that banks are not really lending and firms can’t find money in the capital market”, says one analyst who was vexed that HiTv could lose its $40 million deposit as provided for in the bid terms. A statement jointly signed by DSTv and EPL yesterday said the arrangement to host the Premiership includes 380 Barclays Premier League matches, plus the Premier League’s 24-hour Content Service in High Definition. This seven day-a-week service launches on August 13 and will be broadcast across the whole of sub-Saharan Africa, including Nigeria.

Premier League Chief Executive, Richard Scudamore was quoted as saying that the organisation is pleased to extend its partnership with SuperSport into Nigeria and are confident that it will continue to deliver a premium product that will showcase the Barclays Premier League to many fans in the territory. The Premier League has traditionally enjoyed outstanding viewership ratings on SuperSport and this commercial arrangement is expected to amplify the league’s popularity.

The Barclays Premier League is the biggest continuous annual sporting event in the world, followed by more than 2.5 billion fans and broadcast to more than 500 million homes. “Nigeria will be one of the very first countries to receive the 24-hour Content Service,” said Imtiaz Patel, CE of SuperSport. “We are delighted to be leading the way with our partners at the Premier League and associates in Nigeria.”

According to the statement, chairman of MultiChoice Nigeria, Adewunmi Ogunsanya, said: “We are happy to welcome back the English Premier League to the DStv platform in Nigeria to stand alongside the other exciting international soccer coverage we already provide to our subscribers here. “However, our focus remains firmly on showcasing homegrown talent from the Nigerian Premier League and we will continue our investments in this regard.

“As a Nigerian business which is committed to providing our growing subscriber community across Nigeria with the world’s best channels and programming, we are pleased that SuperSport were able to take up the opportunity when it presented itself to ensure that fans of this league will not miss any action from it.”

Currently, DSTv and HiTv have subscribers base of 400,000 and over 200,000 respectively in Nigeria.

http://www.businessdayonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=13024:dstv-regains-lucrative-english-premiership-rights-in-100m-deal&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=18
Re: See What Sanusi Has Done To HiTV. They've Lost Premiership Rights! Painful! by PapaBrowne(m): 5:31pm On Jul 23, 2010
This is very sad! If you have Nigeria at heart, you will understand the pain that comes with this loss.
HITV is one Nigerian company to be proud of. From nowhere, they took on the South African behemoth called DSTV and changed the Pay TV landscape in Nigeria.
DSTV had been paying  $4million dollars for premiership rights and charging Nigerians heavily (N9000). HITV came on board and bought over the rights for $32 million dollars and went ahead and crashed the price of subscription by half(N4500). The rights were to expire this year. The bid process was open again and this time around HITV placed a bid of a whooping $100 million knowing full well that DSTV was out to get them. DSTV bid far less, so HITV got the deal again.

Sadly, GT Bank which has equity in HiTV couldn’t  raise bank guarantees for the balance. You know why  Because Sanusi has killed the banking industry with his orifice!!  It is beyond sad!!

DSTV that started in Nigeria almost 15 years ago has 400,000 customers. HITV, within just three years was able to garner 200,000 customers.
DSTV killed Nollywood with AfricaMagic. HITV, on the other hand is seeking to develop the industry. It bought over TINAPA studios to create world class content  here in NIGERIA.
This is a blow to a Nigerian company. I wonder how HITV will survive without the EPL rights.

Sanusi ‘s evil will get back at him. Lots of Nigerian entrepreneurs are suffering needlessly because of his evil actions. Once again, this is beyond sad!!

I cryyyyyy! cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: See What Sanusi Has Done To HiTV. They've Lost Premiership Rights! Painful! by ElRazur: 5:37pm On Jul 23, 2010
Thank God for Motorised Satellite and Polish TV station called Tring. grin All matches will be seen here live.

On the other hand, I can understand how many feel back home. embarassed
Re: See What Sanusi Has Done To HiTV. They've Lost Premiership Rights! Painful! by ElRazur: 5:43pm On Jul 23, 2010
The irony of it all is that Sanusi will probably watch all of the matches with government money on DSTV. grin
Re: See What Sanusi Has Done To HiTV. They've Lost Premiership Rights! Painful! by philip0906(m): 5:49pm On Jul 23, 2010
^^
grin grin
@all
fear not. . .SANUSI 4 PRESIDENT grin grin
Re: See What Sanusi Has Done To HiTV. They've Lost Premiership Rights! Painful! by naijatoday: 6:00pm On Jul 23, 2010
I thought HiTV won the deal last year, what took them so long to pay?

Anyways Nigerians who were going to ghana to buy DSTV decoder (as i heard) in other to be a able to watch the premiership will have to return it now that DSTV Nigeria has won the rights back.
Re: See What Sanusi Has Done To HiTV. They've Lost Premiership Rights! Painful! by seanet02: 6:16pm On Jul 23, 2010
GOD WILL PUNISH sanusi and his Northern colleagues
Re: See What Sanusi Has Done To HiTV. They've Lost Premiership Rights! Painful! by Mortiple(m): 6:18pm On Jul 23, 2010
Weep Not My Child!  grin

Hope you are not here to draw sympathy for HITV and incite us against Sanusi?  If yes, then mission won't be accomplished. Sanusi and CBN have no hand in the calamity that has just befallen Toyin Subair and HITV. Their problem was sheer greed and lack of business acumen. Shikena!

Where were you when WE CRIED for certain urgent steps to be taken so that it will be a win-win situation for HITV and their subscribers and nothing happened? Subscribers were charged exorbitantly for wishy-washy services - N6,000 for EPL only.

Where were you when subscribers would have to carry their decoder to Ebute Metta, Lagos to get re-connected after making payment at GT Bank days or weeks earlier?  In the process, many lost their SMART CARD to touts who usually had a field day at their office.  Not forgetting, the additional cost, risk and inconveniences involved, just to watch EPL!

Where were you when subscribers would call HITV customer care service lines and get no response ALL DAY LONG, even when it rang all-through?

Where were you when HITV was busy pursuing other cable and satellite companies here in Nigeria, something that DSTV has never done?  They did not stop at that, they also went after Viewing Centres across Lagos and other cities of the federation.  Do I need to add that DSTV never stooped so low! They had opportunity to step up but rather choose to exhibit Bourgeoisie tendencies towards other players in the industry.

Broda me, abeg leave matter for Matthias!
Re: See What Sanusi Has Done To HiTV. They've Lost Premiership Rights! Painful! by tkb417(m): 6:28pm On Jul 23, 2010
naijatoday:

I thought HiTV won the deal last year, what took them so long to pay?

Anyways Nigerians who were going to ghana to buy DSTV decoder (as i heard) in other to be a able to watch the premiership will have to return it now that DSTV Nigeria has won the rights back.
i still have the smartcard from Ghana

i dont have to return it. at least no one is gonna wrestle the rights from them in Ghana in the nearest future

as to ur first point, they paid 40milla for the first year but were supposed to give bank guarantees for the 2nd and third year
totalling about 80milla USD

The bottleneck associated with the processing delayed the thing and oh yeah, the SA boys came with a cheque

i think the Mgt shd have been at it long enough to ensure they get the approvals needed long b4 the EPL peeps started breathing down their neck and also, i feel the CBN shd have helped in some waivers (just to save a 9ja biz)

nyways, its all done and dusted

its DSTV now!!!
Re: See What Sanusi Has Done To HiTV. They've Lost Premiership Rights! Painful! by invisible2(m): 6:32pm On Jul 23, 2010
@mortiple, bang on target!
I hate Sanusi but this just have to happen, fair competition, let us not support protectionalism that will bring the worst of our inefficiencies to rule us. DSTV all the way for me. I was using DSTV all these while and had to go to public viewing centres to watch my matches, why because Hitv chop my money twice and caused me to dent my car last year while running to reconnect after payment of two weeks ago? Good riddance to bad rubbish!
Re: See What Sanusi Has Done To HiTV. They've Lost Premiership Rights! Painful! by texazzpete(m): 6:33pm On Jul 23, 2010
I don't give a damn about HiTV, and people who are attempting to whip up sentimental arguments in favour of those incompetent clowns are totally deluded.
As a customer and a consumer, all i care about is value for money, and HiTV was not providing that for their customers.
Was it Sanusi's fault that over 70% of HiTV subscribers failed to renew their subscription until the start of a new premier league season? Was it Sanusi's fault that DSTV provided a far better viewing experience during the last world cup, drawing millions of customers away during that lucrative period?

Banks are in the business of lending money. And it's every Bank's dream to lend money to thriving, strong companies with good cashflows. Banks LOVE lending to monopolies - they've got the business cornered. Since the HiTV management failed woefully to  make the best of their opportunity, why blame Sanusi? Why blame the banks? What was HiTV doing when their subscriber base was begging for better programming? Oh, i forgot. They RAISED their prices, alienating yet more people.
What did they do with their opportunity to negotiate cash-spinning deals with the numerous local cable companies?

Patriotic Americans will rather buy a Toyota or Honda sedan than a Ford sedan. why? Because they are better value for money. As a consumer, you should first aim for the best value for your hard earned money. And HiTV was not good value, being just a one-trick pony.

So don't blame Sanusi. Blame Toyin Subair and his cohorts for failing to meet the expectations of his audience/customers. And strive to educate Nigerians that we are not obliged to accept rubbish just because it is 'made in Nigeria'.

Feel free to support HiTV with your subscriptions if you feel strongly about the matter.
Re: See What Sanusi Has Done To HiTV. They've Lost Premiership Rights! Painful! by rethink: 6:42pm On Jul 23, 2010
Disturb the Elite from Watching Just common TV they will jump at you.

Touch the price of Generator the Elite would come after you.

Just touch their phoney bank managers they will come after you.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,

Sack their children from the military their Elite Godfather Ruler(ancient slave sellers) would beg

Touch Nepa and NNPC the twin criminal arms of the parasitic Elite robbing army they will destroy you and make you the thief.

Touch any of their governor so far he has money you will run out of nigeria even though you refuse $15million bribe

Trust the Parasitic elite they must have what they want.

They want there own street
Re: See What Sanusi Has Done To HiTV. They've Lost Premiership Rights! Painful! by tkb417(m): 6:48pm On Jul 23, 2010
As a customer and a consumer, all i care about is value for money, and HiTV was not providing that for their customers.

hey mister, how many years did it take DSTV to attain the level they are now? incompetence you called it? i call it learning the biz.
do you know about setanta and sky in UK? read up if you dont

Was it Sanusi's fault that over 70% of HiTV subscribers failed to renew their subscription until the start of a new premier league season? Was it Sanusi's fault that DSTV provided a far better viewing experience during the last world cup, drawing millions of customers away during that lucrative period?

the issue has got nothing to do with subscribers paying or not paying. The got letters from the bank to EPL requesting for more days to get the guarantee. The delay was due to the current risk mgt anthem in all our banks

Banks are in the business of lending money. And it's every Bank's dream to lend money to thriving, strong companies with good cashflows. Banks LOVE lending to monopolies - they've got the business cornered. Since the HiTV management failed woefully to  make the best of their opportunity, why blame Sanusi?
not sure u understand what happened Not sure you know about Hitv and its operations (cashflow) if you do, u wont make this comment. HiTv was profitable and was doing fine- for the records!!!!!!
Re: See What Sanusi Has Done To HiTV. They've Lost Premiership Rights! Painful! by otawa: 7:04pm On Jul 23, 2010
Nigeria’s most lucrative television rights, the English Premier League, EPL

instead of Nigeria to develop it is own league.

what a brain washed set of people.

NBC should simply change the rule. 70% local content. 30% foreign with 100% Taxation and license is renewable every quarter.
Re: See What Sanusi Has Done To HiTV. They've Lost Premiership Rights! Painful! by texazzpete(m): 7:08pm On Jul 23, 2010
tkb417:

hey mister, how many years did it take DSTV to attain the level they are now? incompetence you called it? i call it learning the biz.
do you know about setanta and sky in UK? read up if you dont

So any new TV station is supposed to go through the same learning curve? Don't be silly. Do you need to start making horse-drawn cannons and ancient flintlock pistols before you can make a rifle?
That's why there are people called 'experts' who can help eliminate that learning curve.

tkb417:

the issue has got nothing to do with subscribers paying or not paying. The got letters from the bank to EPL requesting for more days to get the guarantee. The delay was due to the current risk mgt anthem in all our banks.

So if they were making all that money, and had a guaranteed cash source to pay up the cash for the EPL license, why did they wait until the deadline was upon them (several months after paying down the 40 million dollars deposit) before making frantic attempts for the money?
Since when did 'letters of request' become actual money?
They could not pay up when due, that is the issue.

tkb417:

not sure u understand what happened Not sure you know about Hitv and its operations (cashflow) if you do, u wont make this comment. HiTv was profitable and was doing fine- for the records!!!!!!

oh, i know what happened. What happened was HiTV being a totally mediocre service provider. With the EPL monopoly, they could easily have had 4 times their customer base - if only they didn't suck so hard.
If they were making so much money as you claim, why didn't they care to invest more money in better programming for their customers?

Go out there and listen to the general populace. People are HAPPY that DSTV got back the license. That should tell you something.
Re: See What Sanusi Has Done To HiTV. They've Lost Premiership Rights! Painful! by texazzpete(m): 7:10pm On Jul 23, 2010
otawa:

instead of Nigeria to develop it is own league.

what a brain washed set of people.

NBC should simply change the rule. 70% local content. 30% foreign with 100% Taxation and license is renewable every quarter.

Brainwashed my butt.
The consumer is king. We demand quality entertainment - and at the moment the Nigerian League does not provide that. Anyone who expects EPL fans to feel guilty over this must be on cheap crack.

No.1 rule in entertainment: Give your audience what they want.
Re: See What Sanusi Has Done To HiTV. They've Lost Premiership Rights! Painful! by tkb417(m): 7:13pm On Jul 23, 2010
^^^ of course i prefer DSTV but some of the things being said are totally false

being profitable doesnt mean u have $100million dollars to cough out

thats 12billion naira bro. how many years have they been operating?

haha

abeg
Re: See What Sanusi Has Done To HiTV. They've Lost Premiership Rights! Painful! by otawa: 7:18pm On Jul 23, 2010
No.1 rule in entertainment: Give your audience what they want.

How many countries in EUROPE go crazy after EPL? ONLY UK.

Present day Nigerians will go for anything foreign, yet they castigated their fore-fathers for getting sold into slavery for a glass-mirror.
Re: See What Sanusi Has Done To HiTV. They've Lost Premiership Rights! Painful! by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jul 23, 2010
I am not a fan of Sanusi and I think that much is clear.

But as much I am a fan of football I think the domination of Premiership around the world is not a good thing. HiTV should invest that money that would have been shipped overseas in helping to ensure that our local league is covered with better TV images.

I believe they can also make monney from the local league if they liaise with NFF on how to make our league watchable.

So may be this is a blessing in disguise.
Re: See What Sanusi Has Done To HiTV. They've Lost Premiership Rights! Painful! by ElRazur: 8:02pm On Jul 23, 2010
otawa:

How many countries in EUROPE go crazy after EPL?  ONLY UK.

Present day Nigerians will go for anything foreign,  yet they castigated their fore-fathers for getting sold into slavery for a glass-mirror.

Your argument is flawed. Even in developed countries, there is a strong taste for anything that is foreign.  In the age of consumerism, people are willing and attracted to the option to which is foreign.

Oh premiership is big business. To claim it is only UK is not true. I have Tring from Poland in my living room, guess what they paid to show the EPL too. I am sure they did that because there is a demand back in Poland for it.
Re: See What Sanusi Has Done To HiTV. They've Lost Premiership Rights! Painful! by ElRazur: 8:04pm On Jul 23, 2010
mikeansy:

I am not a fan of Sanusi and I think that much is clear.

But as much I am a fan of football I think the domination of Premiership around the world is not a good thing. HiTV should invest that money that would have been shipped overseas in helping to ensure that our local league is covered with better TV images.

I believe they can also make monney from the local league if they liaise with NFF on how to make our league watchable.

So may be this is a blessing in disguise.

I love your nationalism, but our league is not ready for international stage. There is little or not money to be made from tv rights. Do you buy season tickets for Eyimba or any of those local teams? Probably not.
Re: See What Sanusi Has Done To HiTV. They've Lost Premiership Rights! Painful! by Ibime(m): 8:10pm On Jul 23, 2010
Sanusi is responsible for Setanta going out of business and ESPN taking all their rights!!! grin grin grin
Re: See What Sanusi Has Done To HiTV. They've Lost Premiership Rights! Painful! by texazzpete(m): 8:11pm On Jul 23, 2010
otawa:

How many countries in EUROPE go crazy after EPL?  ONLY UK.

Present day Nigerians will go for anything foreign,  yet they castigated their fore-fathers for getting sold into slavery for a glass-mirror.

Major European countries have decent leagues worth following.

Third world countries like Nigeria usually have poor local leagues, hence the need to obtain their football fix. That's why countries like Thailand are as crazy about the Premier League as Nigeria.

I know you like to style yourself as some sort of emancipated, pan africanist fellow, but your schtick is getting really old, and is no excuse for you not to use your brain.
Re: See What Sanusi Has Done To HiTV. They've Lost Premiership Rights! Painful! by texazzpete(m): 8:14pm On Jul 23, 2010
tkb417:

^^^ of course i prefer DSTV but some of the things being said are totally false

being profitable doesnt mean u have $100million dollars to cough out

thats 12billion naira bro. how many years have they been operating?

haha

abeg

Then you agree that HiTV bit off more than they could chew. Since when did that become a good thing?
Everybody's Mama told 'em this simple lesson: "Cut your coat according to your size".

Even before Sanusi's tenure, we were hearing talk about HiTV's poor relationship with their financiers. Why should anyone mourn if these people were not able to iron out all these challenges in the past couple of years?
Re: See What Sanusi Has Done To HiTV. They've Lost Premiership Rights! Painful! by bawomolo(m): 8:24pm On Jul 23, 2010
seanet02:

GOD WILL PUNISH sanusi and his Northern colleagues

what about his southern colleagues cheesy
Re: See What Sanusi Has Done To HiTV. They've Lost Premiership Rights! Painful! by ElRazur: 8:35pm On Jul 23, 2010
texazzpete:

I know you like to style yourself as some sort of emancipated, pan africanist fellow, but your schtick is getting really old, and is no excuse for you not to use your brain.

Damn. That is like cold-water-in-your-face type of talk. You are a meanie.
Re: See What Sanusi Has Done To HiTV. They've Lost Premiership Rights! Painful! by paddylo1(m): 8:38pm On Jul 23, 2010
@Papabrowne

I gotta fault u on this one men. . .

Sanusi might be a charlatan,but i dont think he takes the blame for this one

Both companies(DSTV and HiTV),are engaging in unproductive endeavors

shipping dollars overseas just to get some silly football match beamed to Nigeria

I say let HiTV develop home based programmes and sell it to Nigerians and the rights to the rest of Africa

Am not a big fan of this business model ,   .

With $100 million a bank should fund things like cocoa export and bring FOREX into Nigeria instead of shipping it out. . . . cool
Re: See What Sanusi Has Done To HiTV. They've Lost Premiership Rights! Painful! by Ibime(m): 8:42pm On Jul 23, 2010
paddy_lo:

shipping dollars overseas just to get some silly football match beamed to Nigeria

And what makes you think that those footie matches are not the reason people subscribe to your service?

Do you think guys like me and million others would pay penny for subscription if there's no footie?

DSTV can afford to develop programs and build a base slowly. For HiTv, its Premiership or nothing.
Re: See What Sanusi Has Done To HiTV. They've Lost Premiership Rights! Painful! by paddylo1(m): 8:57pm On Jul 23, 2010
And what makes you think that those footie matches are not the reason people subscribe to your service?

Do you think guys like me and million others would pay penny for subscription if there's no footie?

DSTV can afford to develop programs and build a base slowly. For HiTv, its Premiership or nothing.

@Ibime
I guess for me its nothing. . . .eff the premiership. . .could give a. . damn about that crap

and by the way u and your pal 4play are needed on the thread below. . . cool

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=451755.msg6434689#msg6434689
Re: See What Sanusi Has Done To HiTV. They've Lost Premiership Rights! Painful! by darqly(m): 9:03pm On Jul 23, 2010
What did Hitv in was the total dearth of quality programmes. They were like a seasonal fruit,a once a year treat. If there's no epl,subscriptions hit rock bottom. The rest of their content was just low-grade,to put it mildly. They had the advantage and failed to go for the kill. I'm gutted cos they're wholly Nigerian,but truth be told,I didn't buy them cos they're just mediocre and too customer unfocused.
Re: See What Sanusi Has Done To HiTV. They've Lost Premiership Rights! Painful! by otawa: 9:04pm On Jul 23, 2010
paddy_lo:

@Papabrowne

I gotta fault u on this one men. . .

Sanusi might be a charlatan,but i dont think he takes the blame for this one

Both companies(DSTV and HiTV),are engaging in unproductive endeavors

I say let HiTV develop home based programmes and sell it to Nigerians and the rights to the rest of Africa

Am not a big fan of this business model ,   .

With $100 million a bank should fund things like cocoa export and bring FOREX into Nigeria instead of shipping it out. . . . cool

this is the only sensible post so far.

yet we want to be like china or India and never understood the path to TRUE Nationhood.

Only an AFRICAN get so short-changed.
Re: See What Sanusi Has Done To HiTV. They've Lost Premiership Rights! Painful! by PapaBrowne(m): 9:50pm On Jul 23, 2010
Those British folks are some crafty fraudsters!

HiTV wanted just 4 days extra to present their guarantee. But they hurriedly called DSTV to come and pay $100 Million.

You know why?? Because that way, they(the british) get $140 million. Based on the bid agreement, HiTV loses the $40 million deposit it paid. 

Sad thing is that just 4 years ago, DSTV was paying $4 million for the same rights. You would think they should be glad to have HiTV as a new friend. But no, the backstabbers that the British have always been known to be, would rather have the White South Africans dominate the landscape.

Even more annoying is the fact that Sanusi, the cause of this loss wants to take all our banks and give it to the same White South Africans!!
This is an apogee of rapery on Nigeria's only hope- The Private Sector!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Babangida Is The Leader Of The North - Atiku / Nigerian Military Have Delivered On Security Challenges –jonathan / Bauchi APC Vice Chairman Withdraws Resignation Letter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.