Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,466 members, 7,816,092 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:15 AM

Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors - TV/Movies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors (10914 Views)

Foreign Actors Of Nigerian Descent / Ghana Slams $1,000 Fee On Nigerian Actors / Ghana Slams $1,000 Fee On Nigerian Actors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by CGKing(m): 6:20pm On Jul 27, 2010
My Nigerian brethen, I think this Ghana vs Nigeria comparisons has gotten out of hand. It does nothing but make the Ghanaians ecstatic, it is like an opium for many Ghanaian. Several months ago, I was walking in downtown Calgary (Canada) with a Caucasian friend. As we were walking by a Bus stop, we bumped into a Ghanaian man who happened to be her acquaintance. She went ahead to introduce us, but before we could finish exchanging compliments , and as soon as I told him I was Nigerian, he quickly interrupted, asking me whether I was aware that his country too now has oil in commercial quantities. My friend and I were speechless for a moment - thinking how on earth could a mature adult be so childish and silly - I calmly wished him good luck , and quickly changed the subject before he embarrasses himself any further.

Ghanaians often have low self-esteem and seek for attention whenever they find themselves in the midst of Nigerians, and whenever matters concerning Nigeria is being discussed. However, I don't blame them, because when a dwarf finds him/herself in the midst of a giant, its very hard not to feel insecure.

My brethen, comparing Ghana to Lagos state, I think is more than just enough. Anything further than that is a consolation for many Ghanaians and an insult to your country men/women.

No one but we brought ourselves into this situations. If we did our homework right. Just becos of something as simple as electricity now here we are wrestling giddygbo with Ghana and some here are still belittliing Naija while confusing that for supporting their country.

Amaka and her ppl should grow up. Nollywood is suffering from identity crisis.
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by Princek12(m): 6:49pm On Jul 27, 2010
Puvguy:

;

Lol. . . U must be an ibo man!!! tongue

LMAO, my bad. I am not Ibo but, as you can see, I got my mind on my money. Please forgive me, Nigeria's population na 150 million compared to Ghana's 23 million.
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by THEAMAKA(f): 8:25pm On Jul 27, 2010
CGKing:

Amaka and her ppl should grow up. Nollywood is suffering from identity crisis.
who and who need to grow up and who is suffering from an identity crisis?
LOOK, YOU BETTER RESPECT YOURSELF!
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by Ruq: 8:33pm On Jul 27, 2010
Who da Bleep is dat cgking?? Nollywood sufferin from wat? U must be a retard! Don't say shit here! Who started this shit first! Be careful ooh! Don't let me burst
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by sillyboy(m): 9:12pm On Jul 27, 2010
Ghana and Ghollyworm or whatever should Zap off and get drown in the Delaware river for all I care. I can still tolerate to watch the nonsense nollywood films but cant stomach the irritation of the stupid ghana movies. Where do I start from?. . . .the down sydrome pronounciation or what.

Ghana and it's people can go to hell for all i care. they are all jealous mother fockers. got a ghana idiot around me. . . . .he is full of bullshit too angry
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by zebra543: 11:52pm On Jul 27, 2010
genevieve for one during the ban there was around 10 of them living there just because they mention 'naira' doesnt make the movie 'nollywood' most ghanian movies are shot as if they are nigerian! van vicker and majid rarely act in nigeria if they have ever even done so, the point of the fees is to reduce the foreiners in the 'home' country the fee isnt being 'slammed' at the rare mention of naira- do sum research before you start lamenting here!
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by CGKing(m): 11:53pm On Jul 27, 2010
Ruq:

Who da bleep is dat cgking?? Nollywood sufferin from wat? U must be a retard! Don't say poo here! Who started this poo first! Be careful ooh! Don't let me burst

Serious! Its a very low move that belittles Africa's biggest Movie movement.How can we be wrestling with an organisation that's picking after us. Think if we impsed a levy on say american actors in Naija, think Hollywood will respond in kind? I mean, no diplomacy, no thought, they just sharp sharp "do me i do you."

Na small boy dey worry dem.
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by THEAMAKA(f): 12:15am On Jul 28, 2010
zebra543:

genevieve for one during the ban there was around 10 of them living there just because they mention 'naira' doesnt make the movie 'nollywood' most ghanian movies are shot as if they are nigerian! van vicker and majid rarely act in nigeria if they have ever even done so, the point of the fees is to reduce the foreiners in the 'home' country the fee isnt being 'slammed' at the rare mention of naira- do sum research before you start lamenting here!
God, don't mean to be rude but DAMN! that was f****** retarded.
please stop talking about what you don't know.
no one mentioned "naira" thats just you.
so all the movies Van/Majid do with the whole cast being Nigerian, "producers/marketers/director/crew memebers" names being Nigerian are Ghanaian movies? LMFAO!!!!
just because a movie is filmed in Ghana does not make it a Ghanaian movie. OMG.
abeg, sit down jo. even Van gave an interview and said he hasn't done a Ghanaian movie in close to 3 years.
so what are YOU talking about?

PLEASE GIVE MORE NAMES! AND YOU KNOW GENEVIEVE WAS LIVING THERE. . . HOW?  undecided
MTSCHEW!
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by cold(m): 12:21am On Jul 28, 2010
CGKing:

Serious! Its a very low move that belittles Africa's biggest Movie movement.How can we be wrestling with an organisation that's picking after us. Think if we impsed a levy on say american actors in Naija, think Hollywood will respond in kind? I mean, no diplomacy, no thought, they just sharp sharp "do me i do you."

Na small boy dey worry dem.
You see why i say some of you folks just reach unintelligent conclusions.You type,then think later.
Firstly, Nigeria would not even do that.We know better than to pull a stunt like that.
Secondly,even if we attempted it,the US wld waste no time to put us in our place.The US is a major protagonist on the application of the principle of reciprocity.
Please do your research,ignorance is not bliss.
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by mygee33(m): 12:35am On Jul 28, 2010
An eye for an Eye lets see who will go blind first
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by Aglah1976(f): 5:40am On Jul 28, 2010
jjgjgj
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by zebra543: 8:17am On Jul 28, 2010
if a movie is shot in ghana what else is it? thats the whole point of the new fees! gosh feel like im explaining something to a retard!
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by THEAMAKA(f): 8:32am On Jul 28, 2010
zebra543:

if a movie is shot in ghana what else is it? thats the whole point of the new fees! gosh feel like im explaining something to a retard!
YOU ARE THE RETARD!!! hahahaha OMG
so many of the Hollywood movies filmed in Canada and in other countries are no longer Hollywood/American movies simply because of where they are filmed?
OMG!! LAWD! HAHAHAHAHA!
so filming a Nigerian movie in Ghana makes it a Ghanaian movie?
OMG! YOU LEARN NEW THINGS EVERYDAY! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA  cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin
and the $1,000 fee had NOTHING to do with filming/location, it was placed on NIGERIAN ACTORS.
LWKMD!
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by londoner: 10:16am On Jul 28, 2010
@zebra 543, sorry but you are spreading falsehood. Genevieve and who else LIVED in Ghana? Genevieve does and always has lived in Lagos in her ascting career. She attends the same church with a family member of mine. She spent time in Ghana to produce her album. Van spends more time filming in Nigeria than he does in Ghana, he said so himself and his manager is also a Nigerian, do you think that is an accident? We all know what Nigeria looks like when we see it, ALL of their top actors and actresses have filmed on location in Nigeria. You sound like one of those Nigerians who will always take the opposing side against Nigeria as a matter of pattern.

Its not an opinion even based in fact either, its just an anti Nigerian streak you and many other Nigerians have
nowadays.

I would like you to provide me with a list of Nigerian actors and actresses (especially the known ones) who live in Ghana.) Lets see how much of your claims are actually true, lol
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by tkb417(m): 10:21am On Jul 28, 2010
Amaka and Zebra

you two should tone it down

u peeps are my favs and i wont let you go at each other

@Zebra
some of your posits are wrong.

1)You justified the initial clampdown on Nollywood because Nigerians are moving to Ghana? That defies logic like i said earlie because most of the Ghanaian actors and actresses made name acting in Nollywood

2) If the Ghanaians feel a levy is what would engender growth for Ghollywood, then i dont see anythin wrong in Nolloywood protecting the actors within their domain. You dont throw stones when you live in a glass house. for real, what do you expect Nollywood to do?
agree to the levy from their Ghanaian counterparts thereby shortchanging the producers while their Ghanaian counterparts are living large in Nigeria.
In the spirit of fairness, i dont see a level playing field in what the Ghanaian are trying to do. If they wanna protect their movie industry, they should look for better ways to do it. Im sure if they had consulted thier Nigerian counterparts before clamping down on them, i dont think the reprisal would have happened

as it is, Nollywood can survive without the Ghanaian market, i doubt if the Ghanaian populace is enough for Gollywood

i pray Nollywood extends the sanctions to marketing and distribution - we dont want no Ghanaian film on our airapace (DSTV and Hitv should be warned), we dont want the VCDS in our markets, ( task force to clampdown on any seller who violates this should be put in place)

lets see who wins
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by londoner: 10:26am On Jul 28, 2010
Van even says himself that he spends more time filming in Nigeria than in Ghana.

http://www.theghanaianjournal.com/2010/06/19/why-i%E2%80%99m-more-active-in-nigeria-than-my-country-%E2%80%93-van-vicker/
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by CGKing(m): 10:34am On Jul 28, 2010
cold:

You see why i say some of you folks just reach unintelligent conclusions.You type,then think later.
Firstly, Nigeria would not even do that.We know better than to pull a stunt like that.
Secondly,even if we attempted it,the US wld waste no time to put us in our place.The US is a major protagonist on the application of the principle of reciprocity.

Its not too hard to know an unintelligent noise maker. They always attempt to intimidate with cheap insults For someone who s talking about research and facts, uv make a bold empty claim and didnt even care to drop a single fact.
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by Ruq: 10:51am On Jul 28, 2010
Word cgking! That's true Hollywood wouldn't have cared if we did it to them and Nollywood is like hollywood to ghana we should have you used tactics instead of imposing fines on them. Its pure shit
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by CGKing(m): 11:37am On Jul 28, 2010
Ruq:

Word cgking! That's true Hollywood wouldn't have cared if we did it to them and Nollywood is like hollywood to ghana we should have you used tactics instead of imposing fines on them. Its pure poo

lol you are funny, . . . just to hear that makes u happy. Any theres no questions about it, They know it, we know it, but i dont just understand y we forget who we are and our position in the intl community. Same thing in govt etc. I mean, we should be locking horns with Bollywood, , just pisses me off!

cold:

Yeah right! Think if African American actors and actresses flood the nigerian movie market, think we wouldnt do it? They d be frustrating our home actors and not giving them a chance. If you were a producer in naija, wouldnt u want a more talented US bred actor than ours at home? Sounds painful but be honest.
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by tkb417(m): 12:15pm On Jul 28, 2010
Yeah right! Think if African American actors and actresses flood the nigerian movie market, think we wouldnt do it? They d be frustrating our home actors and not giving them a chance. If you were a producer in naija, wouldnt u want a more talented US bred actor than ours at home? Sounds painful but be honest.
The scenerio ure painting played itself out before the current boom in 9ja music scene. i can remember when i was leaving secondary school, we never heard or danced to local hip hop artists in parties, clubs and social gatherings and i cannot remember the regulators banning the sale of foreign music in order for our local musicians to thrive

what we have today is the reversal as our local musicians now enjoy more airplay compared to foreign music. Our clubs blast more local music cos the quality of what they churn out has gone up. Nobody banned nobody to encourage local artists

The Ghanaians should concentrate on developing their work and naturally, nollywood would fizzle out in their country
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by zebra543: 12:50pm On Jul 28, 2010
^^ actually many countries do that, they limit the amount of play foreign music gets to allow local music to thrive, they have been asking for the same to be done in London. Harsh moves always has to be made to protect the economy of YOUR OWN country. If nigeria doesnt get that then its nobody elses fault!
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by londoner: 1:10pm On Jul 28, 2010
Zebra 543, so then why dont you understand why Nigeria has done the same thing?

Btw I'm still waiting on that list of Nigerian actors and actresses who live in Ghana.
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by THEAMAKA(f): 4:22pm On Jul 28, 2010
londoner:

Zebra 543, so then why dont you understand why Nigeria has done the same thing?

Btw I'm still waiting on that list of Nigerian actors and actresses who live in Ghana.

Don't mind her.

and you're right, Genevieve was in Ghana for a minute when she did her album.
doesn't mean she went there to LIVE.
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by tkb417(m): 4:39pm On Jul 28, 2010
zebra543:

^^ actually many countries do that, they limit the amount of play foreign music gets to allow local music to thrive, they have been asking for the same to be done in London. Harsh moves always has to be made to protect the economy of YOUR OWN country. If nigeria doesnt get that then its nobody elses fault!
ok

now, we wanna do same for Nollywood and ure not happy with it cheesy
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by cold(m): 5:25pm On Jul 28, 2010
zebra543:

You just shot yourself in the foot.Vigorously justifying protectionism on Ghana's part but insisting Nigeria remains an open market for all d*ck,tom and ghanaians.See why it would have been safer for you to remain silent & thought a fool,than speak out and remove all doubt.
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by tkb417(m): 6:01pm On Jul 28, 2010
^^^ free the babe now

let the babe rest o Mr Cold.
ahn ahn
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by dayokanu(m): 6:05pm On Jul 28, 2010
Is Zebra now contradicting herself ?
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by zebra543: 6:22pm On Jul 28, 2010
genevieve was living in ghana when she was banned she was actually living there thats a fact
Nollywood didnt make that choice for the sake of saving the industry they did it to get back at the ghanians, also says the person who posted the story; in conclusion if ghollywood never started thier fees nollywood wouldve never come up with it in the first place? exactly what i mean playground politics- because im Nigerian doesnt mean i have to rid my senses thank God I think clearly even in matters such as these. Probably why Nigeria is still as it is, its busy focusing on the little things when there are bigger matters to worry about!
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by tkb417(m): 6:31pm On Jul 28, 2010
^^^ ok ure right
Nigeria decided to levy them cos they levied us

anythn wrong in it- ok we agree its playground politics

its the same thing happening between Iran and USA grin grin grin
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by THEAMAKA(f): 7:03pm On Jul 28, 2010
zebra543:

genevieve was living in ghana when she was banned she was actually living there thats a fact
Nollywood didnt make that choice for the sake of saving the industry they did it to get back at the ghanians, also says the person who posted the story; in conclusion if ghollywood never started thier fees nollywood wouldve never come up with it in the first place? exactly what i mean playground politics- because im Nigerian doesnt mean i have to rid my senses thank God I think clearly even in matters such as these. Probably why Nigeria is still as it is, its busy focusing on the little things when there are bigger matters to worry about!
LOL! facts please!!! provide the facts. or maybe you are just going off of what you heard? undecided undecided undecided
and even if Nigeria did it to "get back at the Ghanaians" we have EVERY RIGHT to impose our own fee as they have every right to impose theirs.
so your point? 

where are the names of others that were living in Ghana? 
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by cold(m): 7:59pm On Jul 28, 2010
tkb417:

^^^ free the babe now

let the babe rest o Mr Cold.
ahn ahn
grin i dey vexx angry
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by zebra543: 8:44pm On Jul 28, 2010
*yawns* it will be pointless going back and forth on this issue with you, if decisions like these is what you guys like Nigeria should continue to make them, one day immaturity might just work for the country, you never know!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Hilarious Video - Comedian I Go Die. "Why A President Must Have B In His Name. / Predict Baba Suwe's Next Movie Title / BBNaija Lovers, Shegz & Bella Discuss Number Of Children They Will Have (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.