Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,352 members, 7,815,739 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:24 PM

Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors - TV/Movies (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors (10909 Views)

Foreign Actors Of Nigerian Descent / Ghana Slams $1,000 Fee On Nigerian Actors / Ghana Slams $1,000 Fee On Nigerian Actors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by cold(m): 8:50pm On Jul 28, 2010
At a time like this,silence is golden,all else is weakness.If after all these lectures you still fail to grasp the key point of the thread then i can understand why you had to retake your SSCE so many times.It's so sad *shudders* at tomoro's leaders embarassed
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by CGKing(m): 11:15pm On Jul 28, 2010
tkb417:

The scenerio ure painting played itself out before the current boom in 9ja music scene. i can remember when i was leaving secondary school, we never heard or danced to local hip hop artists in parties, clubs and social gatherings and i cannot remember the regulators banning the sale of foreign music in order for our local musicians to thrive

what we have today is the reversal as our local musicians now enjoy more airplay compared to foreign music. Our clubs blast more local music cos the quality of what they churn out has gone up. Nobody banned nobody to encourage local artists

The Ghanaians should concentrate on developing their work and naturally, nollywood would fizzle out in their country
I think there is a slight difference in what iv said and what u are reffering to. I believe u r comparing products with a phenomenom. Nollywood is not a product, and even though its may be number 3 in the world, its still growing. Bringing in foreign actors will cripple her growth and also not benefit our economy so it wont be wrong for any authourity to recommend levies or even banning foregin participants.

This was the same sttuation inthe ghana must go thing. Remember? This was y we kicked ghana out. But now, they arent even banning our actors, they are trying to encourage their own ppl, to give them a chance to try. Ghana knows they follow us in the movie industry but i believe what they are saying is, we want to grow also. And some funny nigerian quickly retaliated, do me i do u. Its sickening.

I think we are the ones to go and develop our own country and fizzle out of ghanna, arent we embarrased going to ghana becos of power. Its like a rich home going to their less priviledge next door neighour to borrow candle.
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by zebra543: 12:19am On Jul 29, 2010
CGKing:

I think there is a slight difference in what iv said and what u are reffering to. I believe u r comparing products with a phenomenom. Nollywood is not a product, and even though its may be number 3 in the world, its still growing. Bringing in foreign actors will cripple her growth and also not benefit our economy so it wont be wrong for any authourity to recommend levies or even banning foregin participants.

This was the same sttuation inthe ghana must go thing. Remember? This was y we kicked ghana out. But now, they arent even banning our actors, they are trying to encourage their own ppl, to give them a chance to try. Ghana knows they follow us in the movie industry but i believe what they are saying is, we want to grow also. And some funny nigerian quickly retaliated, do me i do u. Its sickening.

I think we are the ones to go and develop our own country and fizzle out of ghanna, arent we embarrased going to ghana becos of power. Its like a rich home going to their less priviledge next door neighour to borrow candle.

someone else with sense! i was begining to think im the last nigerian standing!
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by eridah2007(m): 12:26am On Jul 29, 2010
THE AMAKA:

LOL! facts please!!! provide the facts. or maybe you are just going off of what you heard? undecided undecided undecided
and even if Nigeria did it to "get back at the Ghanaians" we have EVERY RIGHT to impose our own fee as they have every right to impose theirs.
so your point? 

where are the names of others that were living in Ghana? 

@Zebra, abeg no vex o, pls answer dat quetion in bold
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by cold(m): 12:29am On Jul 29, 2010
zebra543:

someone else with sense! i was begining to think im the last nigerian standing!
grin grin with a statement like the foregoing,if you can't laugh at yourself i'll be glad to do it for you.Seriously though,were you dropped as a child?And if the answer is in the affirmative on what kind of floor?Or did you spend the last 3 months of the necessary 9 months in an incubator?Which if this is true then accept my apology for hounding you so much.Cuz i can't seem to understand why you insist on using half your brain instead of all of it  
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by londoner: 12:50am On Jul 29, 2010
I think people are forgetting the facts. If Ghana is trying help their own, how come it had no problem when Nigerian filmakers were at the forefront of encouraging their actors and talent? It is Nigerian film makers who gave their leading actors and actresses of today the leg up. Nollywood has done that, more than Ghanaian movie industry has.

They are not trying to help their own, they are simply trying to cash in on Nollywood. I dont blame them for that, but lets call a spade a spade.

When they get to encourage their talents (which they should have been doing anyway), are they not going to want Nigeria the nation of 140 million to support them by watching and buying their films?

They are not looking at the long term at all. Why alienate yourself from the biggest market for your products? Now that does not make business sense.

@ Zebra, when are you planning to provide the names of Nollywood actors and actresses who live in Ghana?
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by THEAMAKA(f): 12:57am On Jul 29, 2010
if they really wanted to  "protect" their industry and help it grow, they would be encouraging their actors to go back home. Also, they would be paying them better instead of their actors running to Nigeria every other week to do a NOLLYWOOD MOVIE.
they aren't trying to protect anything!
Their actors are in Nigeria 50% of the time. how is slamming $1,000 fee on Nigerians encouraging your actors to go back home to better their own industry?
those FOOLS aren't fooling anyone.

bottom line is if they wanna throw hurdles in front of Nigerian actors trying to prevent them from acting in their industry, we have every right to throw hurdles in front of their actors.
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by cold(m): 1:03am On Jul 29, 2010
^^^period,end of story.This thread is officially closed
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by sillyboy(m): 2:51am On Jul 29, 2010
Seriously, Ghana and her people has a huge attitude problem. Simply because people are carry false rumor that they have uninterrupted power supply; they suddenly believe they are the best thing in Africa. Guy, FYI. . . . . . .you are dreaming. Did anybody see the Ghana guy on BBA all star? Why all the Ghana apparel. . . . .and they were so ugly. Seriously, I detest Ghana and "its" people. angry
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by dayokanu(m): 4:03am On Jul 29, 2010
sillyboy:

Seriously, Ghana and her people has a huge attitude problem. Simply because people are carry false rumor that they have uninterrupted power supply; they suddenly believe they are the best thing in Africa. Guy, FYI. . . . . . .you are dreaming. Did anybody see the Ghana guy on BBA all star? Why all the Ghana apparel. . . . .and they were so ugly. Seriously, I detest Ghana and "its" people. angry

Kola easyy
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by Iveanyi: 11:33am On Jul 29, 2010
This just goes to show how myopic and petty some of us Nigerians can be. So what if Ghana taxes Nigerians? Their industry is still growing and they are not doing themselves any good. Our movie industry, compared to most others in West Africa has grown to such an extent that our pride should be that we have international talent coming to Nigeria to earn money and pay tax to the Nigerian Government Coffers. Let's keep our focus on the big picture. It'll bring the spotlight on us.

Why do you think the Indian industry is way way way behind the Americans' in terms of international relevance despite the magnitude of output? It's because everything is just so Indian. Is that the road we wanna go down? I don't think so.
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by zebra543: 11:36am On Jul 29, 2010
^^ exactly!
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by londoner: 11:49am On Jul 29, 2010
@Zebra, there you go contradicting yourself again. You are agreeing with Iveanyi, saying the Indian movie industry is behind Hollywood because everything is so Indian, This after applauding Ghanaians for trying to basically discourage foreign movie makers from coming to their country, ie making it more Ghanaian only.

Do you even know which point you are trying to make?

You simply have been getting behind every comment which criticises Nigeria's move, even when you have to go back on yourself to do it.

Nigeria is the only Africa movie industry that has DELIBERATELY sought collaboration with fellow African talent, whether Ghana, sierra Leone or Gambia. Both in giving lead roles/exposure and filming on location. We also have collaborated with talents from the Uk and US, we are not going down any wrong road. It is Ghanaian movie industry that is being insular.

I am still waiting for that list of Nigerian actors and actresses living in Ghana. If you cant, then it is right and proper for you to have the humility to admit your claim is false.
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by sillyboy(m): 12:16pm On Jul 29, 2010
dayokanu:

Kola easyy

Yeepah! shocked shocked shocked . . . . . .
My identity has been compromised.
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by zebra543: 1:33pm On Jul 29, 2010
I mentioned genevieve didnt i? There were at least 4 others that were living in ghana too during the ban, there was a whole article on it in a nigerian newspaper google it i dont have time

#I didnt agree on the indian movie industry stuff but the myopic mindedness you display, i just wasnt bothered to quote the parts i actually agreed with, at the end of the day thier industry is growing they were not trying to be spitefull, if nigerians removed thier heads from thier asses for a minute they will see that!
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by Ruq: 3:28pm On Jul 29, 2010
sillyboy:

Word!
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by THEAMAKA(f): 6:43pm On Jul 29, 2010
@zebra, such a clown

THE AMAKA:

[size=20pt]if they really wanted to  "protect" their industry and help it grow, they would be encouraging their actors to go back home. Also, they would be paying them better instead of their actors running to Nigeria every other week to do a NOLLYWOOD MOVIE.
they aren't trying to protect anything!
Their actors are in Nigeria 50% of the time. how is slamming $1,000 fee on Nigerians encouraging your actors to go back home to better their own industry?
those FOOLS aren't fooling anyone.

bottom line is if they wanna throw hurdles in front of Nigerian actors trying to prevent them from acting in their industry, we have every right to throw hurdles in front of their actors.[/size]

HOW IS IMPOSTING A TAX ON NIGERIANS ENCOURAGING GROWTH TO THEIR OWN INDUSTRY?
IF ANYTHING THEY SHOULD BE THREATENING THEIR ACTORS (THAT KEEP RUNNING TO NIGERIA FOR FAME AND EXPOSURE) WITH A BAN FOR NOT STAYING PUT IN THEIR OWN COUNTRY TO ACT AND "DEVELOP" THEIR INDUSTRY!
THEY HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH THEIR ACTORS RUNNING TO NOLLYWOOD FOR EXPOSURE, MONEY, FAME, BUT FOR NIGERIANS TO GO TO GHANA, ITS A PROBLEM? ABI?
HISSSS
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by dayokanu(m): 7:10pm On Jul 29, 2010
sillyboy:

Yeepah! shocked shocked shocked . . . . . .
My identity has been compromised.

Leave story, You wey I sabi wella for NJ
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by cold(m): 7:15pm On Jul 29, 2010
Una still dey for dis mata?afta i don close d tread,lol.
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by THEAMAKA(f): 7:19pm On Jul 29, 2010
cold:

Una still dey for dis mata?afta i don close d tread,lol.
grin grin grin wink
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by flint7: 8:16pm On Jul 29, 2010
CGking my dear do u really want to sound smart here, ok let me brake it down for u,nollywood was a product that turned into a phenomenon, a product has to sell itself in orther to be recognised thereby making it a phenomenon, our music industry did not just become a phenomenon that is now raking across africa, it was a product of individual effort from different artists in nigeria with the help of the media and most importantly of all the patronization of the nigerians that turned it into a phenomenon, the same goes to the nigerian movie industry nollywood. So ghana has to stop all these kity kat acts and face the competition, what they are doing shows that the are not strong enough to face the competition,nollywood did it, our music industry did it, so why can't they do it aswell without creating loop holes.
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by zebra543: 9:55pm On Jul 29, 2010
THE AMAKA:

if you dont understand that, then theres nothing i can do for you, i cannot dumb it down anymore!
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by THEAMAKA(f): 11:30pm On Jul 29, 2010
zebra543:

if you dont understand that, then theres nothing i can do for you, i cannot dumb it down anymore!
there is a difference between stopping Nigerians from acting in their industry and encouraging their Industry  (actors to LEAVE NIGERIA AND GO BACK TO THEIR COUTNRY TO DEVELOP THEIR OWN INDUSTRY.)
they aren't trying to encourage anything, thats just a lousy excuse.
if they really wanted to "encourage" they would be encouraging the likes of Van, Majid, Jackie, Juliet, John, etc to stop doing Nigerian movies and go home.
thats what I'm getting at.
they're in Nigeria getting exposure, fame, money, etc.
I've also come to the conclusion that there were no actors/actresses living in Ghana. you claim you "don't have time" to do a quick google search yet you've come back to this thread times without number 
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by CGKing(m): 12:04am On Jul 30, 2010
Meeeeen, i dont get it with u guys. Is ur hatred for Ghana that bad? Even after everything iv said, you guys just keep struggling with Ghana. Let me point it out again finally. First of all, I believe Ghana is trying to help its own actors, no doubt. Countries all over do this to check certain effects on their economy. I believe this informed their decision. We are better than their actors and thus a threat to their survival. If we came and stole the show from them by having most of their movie crew as nigerians, guy, ghollywood will surely end.

However my key point so far is, Ghollywood is not on our level, we are not competing. . . . or are not supposed to be competing with them. Nollywood's current response was retaliatory and thus childish. We are not competing with ghana and i also thought we should have been a little more diplomatic about it. After all, if we didnt need ghana then why the heaven did we go there? So because of vital interests, we should be smarter, instead sending off war signals. If the ghanians and ghollywood perceive this as a struggle - which i think they most definitely would - then our interests in ghana will begin to end. Along with that, u can bet they wont pay our levies, so what then was the gain at the end of the day? What i thought we should have done was to manage the situation with diplomacy and handle ghana as a child. If u like squeeze face, hate them, we went there cos of important interests.
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by CGKing(m): 12:21am On Jul 30, 2010
Iveanyi:

This just goes to show how myopic and petty some of us Nigerians can be. So what if Ghana taxes Nigerians? Their industry is still growing and they are not doing themselves any good. Our movie industry, compared to most others in West Africa has grown to such an extent that our pride should be that we have international talent coming to Nigeria to earn money and pay tax to the Nigerian Government Coffers. Let's keep our focus on the big picture. It'll bring the spotlight on us.

Why do you think the Indian industry is way way way behind the Americans' in terms of international relevance despite the magnitude of output? It's because everything is just so Indian. Is that the road we wanna go down? I don't think so.

Simple! Wat iv been saying since last month. Note, im open minded on this. Its either they are doing it sincerely to help their ppl or deliberately to get to us. Either way we have position inthe industry, we must understand it and live it.

flint7:

CGking my dear do u really want to sound smart here, ok let me brake it down for u,nollywood was a product that turned into a phenomenon, a product has to sell itself in orther to be recognised thereby making it a phenomenon, our music industry did not just become a phenomenon that is now raking across africa, it was a product of individual effort from different artists in nigeria with the help of the media and most importantly of all the patronization of the nigerians that turned it into a phenomenon, the same goes to the nigerian movie industry nollywood. So ghana has to stop all these kity kat acts and face the competition, what they are doing shows that the are not strong enough to face the competition,nollywood did it, our music industry did it, so why can't they do it aswell without creating loop holes.

Bros, u are making a very big mistake to compete with ghana. Competition is horizontal, not vertical. Think the US will compete with us?

THE AMAKA:

@zebra, such a clown
IF ANYTHING THEY SHOULD BE THREATENING THEIR ACTORS (THAT KEEP RUNNING TO NIGERIA FOR FAME AND EXPOSURE) WITH A BAN FOR NOT STAYING PUT IN THEIR OWN COUNTRY TO ACT AND "DEVELOP" THEIR INDUSTRY!
THEY HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH THEIR ACTORS RUNNING TO NOLLYWOOD FOR EXPOSURE, MONEY, FAME, BUT FOR NIGERIANS TO GO TO GHANA, ITS A PROBLEM? ABI?
HISSSS

This is why a Nigeian woman must never be president in in Naija. Im sure if u were president and we have weapons, you would have order a pre emptive strike becos of Ghoolywood and nollywood news. Ghanian actors need us, just as our actors need them. Tell urself the truth inspite of ur anger and disgust of them. Uv got to stop competing with ur juniors. na was o.
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by THEAMAKA(f): 12:29am On Jul 30, 2010
^^^
who is "competing"
simple: IF THEY WANT TO IMPOSE FEES, WE HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO DO SO!
haven't you seen the number of times their actors feature in our movies? yet we were not complaining.
you have your opinion, and i have mine.
DONE.
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by CGKing(m): 12:57am On Jul 30, 2010
^^ Amaks, we are too big for all this. however, Im not even trying to win u or anyone over, so you can carry go with ur opinion. I only want us all to see from all angles.

londoner:

I think people are forgetting the facts. If Ghana is trying help their own, how come it had no problem when Nigerian filmakers were at the forefront of encouraging their actors and talent? It is Nigerian film makers who gave their leading actors and actresses of today the leg up. Nollywood has done that, more than Ghanaian movie industry has.

They are not trying to help their own, they are simply trying to cash in on Nollywood. I dont blame them for that, but lets call a spade a spade.

When they get to encourage their talents (which they should have been doing anyway), are they not going to want Nigeria the nation of 140 million to support them by watching and buying their films?

They are not looking at the long term at all. Why alienate yourself from the biggest market for your products? Now that does not make business sense.

1. It is clear the two ppls are of different levels of intelect. Not all can make it thru the same route, so if ghana would have to parasite a bit, then no quams. Nothing do them.

2. Whats wrong with cashing in on, Na opportunity now. Wouldnt u take this opportunity if u were in their shoes. After all, we came in and took their positions and they simple tried to balance the equation.

2. Market and production are two different things. Y would a watching audience decide not to patronize them because of Ghollywood Nollywood issue? They have to produce their movies first, they have to sell their actors first. They need a chance to show the Ghana thing!

4. Except we give them a bad publicity in our market, they wont alienate themselves more than they already may be. I for one have only watched one ghanian movie, for 5 mins o . . . and it was the worst thing ever recoreed on tape. Also i think we are the ones not looking at the big picture. Our leaders have failed, we require ghana for the time being. We should be childish, deceiving ourselves. . . we should rub them a lil so we can get wat we want and get the hell outta there.
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by sillyboy(m): 1:11am On Jul 30, 2010
dayokanu:

Leave story, You wey I sabi wella for NJ

So you be the egun (masquerade) wey sabi person wey person no sabi? Me too sabi you. . . . . .no be you be that guy? . . . .ehen i talk am! How far now? . . . .lol
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by zebra543: 3:27am On Jul 30, 2010
CCking dont say that, we dont all think like amaka some of us are very openminded, not blinded by hatred or superiority complex over an obviously more succesful nation, dont follow or agree with 'playground politics, and understand there are more important things to deal with rather than 'getting your own back' at a nation for simply trying to give opportunity to thier indigenes!

People still think this is the 'ghana must go' era- the 'nigeria must go' era is yet to come!
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by Ruq: 8:36am On Jul 30, 2010
@Zebra573 Hey stop sayin shit here,lol Nigeria must go what? You might want a rethink. So you think they will one day chase Nigerians out of thier country again Then you want them to be absolutely poor to grains! If they chase Nigerians they have destroyed about 70% of their income,you wont want to bite the hand that feeds you would you!
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by londoner: 10:40am On Jul 30, 2010
@Zebra, you are saying they went to Ghana because of their ban from Naija, when the ban was lifted did they not come straight back? Yes they did, so why pretend as if they went to Ghana because they just preferred it. They could not work in Nigeria. Genevieve did not live in Ghana she went to Ghana to work on her album, as her record deal was given to her by a Ghanaian record label. You have gone from ten to four, lol Yet you are only able to name one, even then she never lived in Ghana.

I want you to provide those ten or even four names, if you can that is, lol

Does Van now live in Nigeria because he spends most of his time working in Nigeria?

@CG King, I clearly said in the very post you quoted that I dont blame them for cashing in. So why should Nollywood also not cash in? Is the point that most people here are making. It is Nigerian filmakers who have deliberately introduced Ghanaian actors and actresses, by giving them opportunity consistently. Even their premiers are all at Silverbird, and that company has helped them to showcase their films in cinema along with the latest films from the US.

They simply dont like the fact that their own stars are stars because of Nollywood and not their own industry. They should instead stop their actors from acting in Nollywood if it bothers them so much.

Hopefully this will force Nigerian filmakers to look closer to home for talent and location. In the long run, it is better for Nollywood.
Re: Nollywood Slams N250,000 Clearance Fee On Foreign Actors by zebra543: 11:22am On Jul 30, 2010
im not going back and forth on it with you we have different opinions on the matter, we will see how beneficial this new 'fee' is to filmakers and actors in Nigeria now. Im sure its not enough they might even become political with it and let thier 'hatred' for ghana shine through with another bad move

Ruq:

@Zebra573 Hey stop sayin poo here,lol Nigeria must go what? You might want a rethink. So you think they will one day chase Nigerians out of thier country again Then you want them to be absolutely poor to grains! If they chase Nigerians they have destroyed about 70% of their income,you wont want to bite the hand that feeds you would you!

your kidding me right? your trying to tell me nigeria feeds ghana instead of itself? who the hell gave you an education? dont let rascists teach you history, it will blind you. Im not trying to wage a Nigeria vs Ghana war but i dont think you even have to look deep into thier country to know they are waay ahead of you!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Hilarious Video - Comedian I Go Die. "Why A President Must Have B In His Name. / Predict Baba Suwe's Next Movie Title / BBNaija Lovers, Shegz & Bella Discuss Number Of Children They Will Have (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.