Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,170 members, 7,815,082 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:01 AM

Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences (21790 Views)

Religious Differences In Marriage / Religious Differences Just Cost Me My Relationship / My Relationship Is Threatened, How Do I Resolve This? Photos!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by LovingLife28: 5:34pm On Nov 22, 2018
Hello, I have been with my boyfriend for over a year. We started off well, in -love as you usually do and have shared some wonderful experiences. We're both Christians and I'd never thought of asking what he believed in exactly, I just assumed he was a 'normal' Christians. I even invited him to my church which he attended a few times.

Fast forward to 9 months down the line, I asked him about his church and he said 'you might find it strange, you might think I'm an extremist. So did digged a bit further and asked him what he meant He said 'well the women wear trousers and they don't wear make-up. Now at this point, I was thinking, well I do all these things and you why is he with me if I still do these things? And why allow me to fall deeply in love if I didn't really meet the 'criteria' A few months later, I pressed to attend his church.

So it turns out he is part of The Message church, and their prophet is 'William Branham', they have very strict rules over the women in the church but I don't see anything that the men have to give up per se. What disturbed me the most is that the teachings were mainly cantered around 'Brother Branham' and what he said and what he prophesied etc.

I found this experience very strange and alarming, why wouldn't they just preach straight from the Bible and that be it? They even have a Christian and non-Christian sboed asked where in the bible it said this and he said there isn't.

BUT, apparently Brother Branham' had a dream where God showed him hell and the devil was wearing very high heeled shoes and that's why it's not allowed. I had never heard of this church before meeting him, they all live in fear, even I started to live in fear and have paranoia about hell etc, it was mentally tormenting for me. We had some arguments around it, almost to the point of breaking up.

I think he thinks I'll 'convert' deep down, but the way I'm seeing it I can't. From my perspective, I'd be fine with him going to his church and me attending mine, but if we're thinking long term that would be tricky and probably not work and he would not be happy with it.

I am torn because I really love him, he is my first boyfriend and we've shared a lot of memories together. I don't know what to do. I don't know if he is part of a cult or whether that is indeed the truth! How would I not wear any make-up on my wedding day? What if my kids want to take part in sports at school, do I tell them they have to wear dresses to run or in the gym? I never thought this would be the thing that would break us apart, I am torn and trying so hard to mentally switch off, but I don't know what to do.

We both love each other and since the arguments we've just not discussed the topic anymore, but I know it's only a matter of time. l'm scared of starting again, looking for someone all over again, What do I do? What would you do?

7 Likes

Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by nuggarito: 6:50pm On Nov 22, 2018
I would have love to say something but it's religious matter so let me learn from other comments.

11 Likes

Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by chiommy123(f): 6:56pm On Nov 22, 2018
Is he ok with you attending another church when married
Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by Nobody: 7:12pm On Nov 22, 2018
Which Kind Of Church Be That One Hope They Are Not Stylish Fetish undecided...

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by LovingLife28: 8:00pm On Nov 22, 2018
nuggarito:
I'm catholic, what do I know?

How do you mean?
Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by LovingLife28: 8:02pm On Nov 22, 2018
chiommy123:
Is he ok with you attending another church when married

He seems fine with it now but not sure if that will change or coz he’s expecting me to gradually ‘change’

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by LovingLife28: 12:33pm On Nov 24, 2018
Hmmm

1 Like

Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by IT4U: 1:50pm On Nov 24, 2018
This is something I don't think would work in the long run because he'll someday definitely demand you attend the same church with him. For myself, I'm rigid and won't compromise my faith or belief for whatesover; not even when am convinced am on track. I think the earlier the better since relationship isn't meant to be endured.

I wouldn't even advice my enemy to compromise his/her faith in such instance. I'm sure you are better with waiting for someone who shares the same belief with you than being depressed helplessly for life.

Inasmuch as I wouldn't want you to leave whom you dearly love, I wouldn't advise you to continue this relationship. Take this little token of my contribution and use at your discretion.

58 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by Ishilove: 1:56pm On Nov 24, 2018
LovingLife28:
Hmmm
The church is occultic. Any 'church' that has it's foundation built on the doctrines of a man, rather than the imppeccable word of God is of the devil. If you want to walk the long mile with him, will you seriously want your innocent children to grow up with such doctrines?

Sit down and think here. Forget about love for now because love is blind but na inside marriage eye dey clear.

Sometimes the heart makes decisions that the mind cannot, but we also know that the heart can be deceitful above all things. Be wise.

101 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by NwaAmaikpe: 2:02pm On Nov 24, 2018
shocked

Memories are built to be destroyed.
Walk away from him and get someone else.
My problem here is not his religious background but your sexual history.

Believe me,
It is not advisable for a woman who has only had one sexual partner to go into marriage because they will definitely crave for more experience and end up cheating.

Go into the world and get some experience before you think about marriage.

My sister when you've increased your body count, I'd advice you marry anyone that comes your way irrespective of their religious backgrounds because husbands are scarce now.

Are you wiser than the Prophetess who just married a man who worships and represents fetish deities?

'Husband no dey oooo'

27 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by SweetBuns(f): 2:03pm On Nov 24, 2018
That church is occultic.
Sister please do the right tin and run!!!!!
Boys full everywhere

6 Likes

Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by lesbiconverter: 2:03pm On Nov 24, 2018
Is he marrying you or the church?sad

2 Likes

Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by weyreypey: 2:04pm On Nov 24, 2018
LovingLife28:

He seems fine with it now but not sure if that will change or coz he’s expecting me to gradually ‘change’
Don't be unequally yoked with unbelievers.

9 Likes

Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by Dacronym(m): 2:04pm On Nov 24, 2018
Different peoples in this Life Different problems
Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by airsaylongcon: 2:05pm On Nov 24, 2018
You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run
You never count your money
When you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin'
When the dealin's done

Every gambler knows
That the secret to survivin'
Is knowin' what to throw away
And knowin' what to keep

'Cause every hand's a winner
And every hand's a loser

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by SweetBuns(f): 2:06pm On Nov 24, 2018
LovingLife28:
Hello, I have been with my boyfriend for over a year. We started off well, in -love as you usually do and have shared some wonderful experiences. We're both Christians and I'd never thought of asking what he believed in exactly, I just assumed he was a 'normal' Christians. I even invited him to my church which he attended a few times.

Fast forward to 9 months down the line, I asked him about his church and he said 'you might find it strange, you might think I'm an extremist. So did digged a bit further and asked him what he meant He said 'well the women wear trousers and they don't wear make-up. Now at this point, I was thinking, well I do all these things and you why is he with me if I still do these things? And why allow me to fall deeply in love if I didn't really meet the 'criteria' A few months later, I pressed to attend his church.

So it turns out he is part of The Message church, and their prophet is 'William Branham', they have very strict rules over the women in the church but I don't see anything that the men have to give up per se. What disturbed me the most is that the teachings were mainly cantered around 'Brother Branham' and what he said and what he prophesied etc.

I found this experience very strange and alarming, why wouldn't they just preach straight from the Bible and that be it? They even have a Christian and non-Christian sboed asked where in the bible it said this and he said there isn't.

BUT, apparently Brother Branham' had a dream where God showed him hell and the devil was wearing very high heeled shoes and that's why it's not allowed. I had never heard of this church before meeting him, they all live in fear, even I started to live in fear and have paranoia about hell etc, it was mentally tormenting for me. We had some arguments around it, almost to the point of breaking up.

I think he thinks I'll 'convert' deep down, but the way I'm seeing it I can't. From my perspective, I'd be fine with him going to his church and me attending mine, but if we're thinking long term that would be tricky and probably not work and he would not be happy with it.

I am torn because I really love him, he is my first boyfriend and we've shared a lot of memories together. I don't know what to do. I don't know if he is part of a cult or whether that is indeed the truth! How would I not wear any make-up on my wedding day? What if my kids want to take part in sports at school, do I tell them they have to wear dresses to run or in the gym? I never thought this would be the thing that would break us apart, I am torn and trying so hard to mentally switch off, but I don't know what to do.

We both love each other and since the arguments we've just not discussed the topic anymore, but I know it's only a matter of time. l'm scared of starting again, looking for someone all over again, What do I do? What would you do?
starting again won't be so bad.
Which is worse....
Spending the rest of your life in a miserable marriage or Being happily single for a short while?
You're over thinking it, the search won't last that long

2 Likes

Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by MYHUBBY: 2:07pm On Nov 24, 2018
if you want to enjoy best marriage stay glue to partners with fear of God but stay far away from religion chauvinist

they would made marriage a nightmare for you. don't let love overshadow your peace of mind and future

when a partner in a relationship can't sit down to have a collective decision, if such relationship eventually leads to marriage, they would surely be a chaos day and night

use your brain dear

5 Likes

Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by Eyop: 2:07pm On Nov 24, 2018
Ishilove:

The church is occultic. Any 'church' that has it's foundation built on the doctrines of a man, rather than the imppeccable word of God is of the devil. If you want to walk the long mile with him, will you seriously want your innocent children to grow up with such doctrines?

Sit down and think here. Forget about love for now because love is blind but na inside marriage eye dey clear.

Sometimes the heart makes decisions that the mind cannot, but we also know that the heart can be deceitful above all things. Be wise.

angry
Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by ImadeUReadThis: 2:07pm On Nov 24, 2018
Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by Nobody: 2:07pm On Nov 24, 2018
If one of you can't bend to the other, simply leave the union please. In every successful relationship, if you check very well, you will see that one of the couple deliberately or innocently act the fool. It is a sacrifice one of you have to make. But I am sure that pride will not allow you for sure.

4 Likes

Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by BabaCommander: 2:08pm On Nov 24, 2018
If you had followed the true teachings of the Bible and Jesus Christ, this wouldn't have happened.

5 Likes

Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by GrammarNazi1(m): 2:09pm On Nov 24, 2018
LovingLife28:

...a...Christian...

5 Likes

Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by Issaboss(m): 2:09pm On Nov 24, 2018
This is actually not a Nigerian church. 100% sure

1 Like

Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by Eyop: 2:09pm On Nov 24, 2018
LovingLife28:
Hmmm

Abort mission, abort. There's serious fire on the mountain which will definitely be disastrous in future except the both parties changes to a neutral and bible believing church. Anything contrary to this will be a disaster.

5 Likes

Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by davodyguy: 2:09pm On Nov 24, 2018
Ishilove:

Almost all religion and built on dogmas

5 Likes

Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by Tonimordred(m): 2:09pm On Nov 24, 2018
Dat church is nt ordinary bt society
Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by Captain001(m): 2:09pm On Nov 24, 2018
I guess you're referring to Bride Assembly here. If it is nothing to worry about. They're not much different from deeper life, mfm. They are not extremists, but believe in outward Christian appearance.
Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by pocohantas(f): 2:10pm On Nov 24, 2018
Ishilove:

That's all grin

3 Likes

Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by pacificman: 2:10pm On Nov 24, 2018
i smell lies..fake story
Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by Xisnin(m): 2:10pm On Nov 24, 2018
Go ahead if you are okay marrying a cultist and abiding by the cult's rule.
There is no compromise with cultists. He is very certain that when you get
married, you would rather follow their orders than choosing divorce.

2 Likes

Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by gurunlocker: 2:10pm On Nov 24, 2018
First boyfriend? E no even sure say you guys go marry.

Na 1 year relationship experience you just get.
Re: Help - My Relationship Is Threatened By Religious Differences by babyfaceafrica: 2:10pm On Nov 24, 2018
what I don't understand is how can people start dating without knowing the church and denomination the other is going....what were you people discussing albinitio....carry your cross

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Husband Mistakenly Shared This My Nakked Pic On His Staff Page (photo) / He Doesn't Have A Job But Wants To Date. / How To Count The Numbers Of Rounds During Sex

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.