Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,045 members, 7,810,862 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:11 PM

"Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari (19594 Views)

Naira Scarcity: You Have Endured Enough, Vote Out APC Now, Saraki To Nigerians / Now Saraki Has Lost, What Position Would He Hold In A Likely Atiku Govt? / Quit Politics Now – Saraki Advises Oshiomhole Over Corruption Allegation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by FearGodinall: 5:14am On Dec 06, 2018
jomoh:
There must be something fundamentally wrong in that electoral bill for PDP, Saraki and his ilks to be hell bent on the presidents assent.
. There is nothing of such, it shows those truly want to get things done rightly in Nigeria,because free,fair and credible election is what every sane Nigeria is looking up to.Or you don't want electoral syetem to improve.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by FearGodinall: 5:16am On Dec 06, 2018
Denikayan:
Saraki is sick
Lkwd.
Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by docadams: 5:16am On Dec 06, 2018
PointZerom:

Shut up.

Count from the first day the bill was given to him to sign.

Obviously, your brain just stated working and it ain't working well

1 Like

Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by thunder74(m): 5:22am On Dec 06, 2018
Buhari is selfish, he won't sign the Amendment to the Electoral Act, those of you defending him when he was raising some useless reasons in the previous amendments, you can see now that he was only deceiving you.
If you like, vote for him again, you will still be here in 2023 at the same level and if not worse.

1 Like

Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by xxx4all: 5:25am On Dec 06, 2018
Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by asfrank(m): 5:32am On Dec 06, 2018
FearGodinall:
. There is nothing of such, it shows those truly want to get things done rightly in Nigeria,because free,fair and credible election is what every sane Nigeria is looking up to.Or you don't want electoral syetem to improve.
did u bother to check d reasons y he has not yet signed it? once some people decide to hate a person, nothing he does is right. if Buhari signs this Bill d way it is, the same people shouting he should sign will be the once saying he created a pass for electoral malpractice. now look at some sections that u obviously don't mind

Section 63(4) of the “old” electoral act addresses
the issue of counting of votes and forms. This
subsection says the presiding officer should count
and announce the result at the polling units. The
amended version to this subsection strikes out
COUNT and simply states that the presiding officer
should announce the result.
INFERENCE: This makes the process liable to
manipulation.

Section 91 addresses the limitations on election
expenses. The following is the list of maximum limit
on election expenses that can be incurred by
candidates, according to the old and the proposed:
Presidential election N1billion (Old)- N5billion
(New)
Governorship election M200m (Old)- N1bn (New)
Senatorial Seat N40m (Old) -100m (New)
Federal House of Representatives N20m (Old) -
N70m (New)
State Assembly N10m (Old) - N30m (New)
Chairmanship election N10m - N30m
Councillorship N1m (Old) - N5m (New)
Even 91(9) that prohibits any individual or entity
from donating more than N1million has been
amended to N10million.

INFERENCE: Is this a ploy to make our political
space an exclusive preserve of the money-bags? Or
to make the anomaly of vote buying a permanent
feature of our elections?

2 Likes

Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by Henry22(m): 5:41am On Dec 06, 2018
madridguy:
Laughing in borokiri grin grin grin
Waterside boy grin
Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by dam2000(m): 5:42am On Dec 06, 2018
yemaldo:
PDP kwara mega rally cheesy
rally with peace no life lost no one injured APC rally always require blood
Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by discusant: 5:46am On Dec 06, 2018
PoliticsNigeria:
@POLITICSNGR

Senate President, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki has advised President Muhammadu Buhari not to heed the advice of the anti-democratic elements who have now populated the political space and putting pressure on him not to give assent to the 2018 Electoral Bill.

PoliticsNGR gathered that Saraki in a statement in Ilorin today (Wednesday) signed by his Special Adviser (Media and Publicity), Yusuph Olaniyonu, urged the President to rise above petty politics and act without further delay in the best interest of the country and its democracy by signing the Electoral Bill into law.

Saraki noted that he had been inundated with telephone calls and discussions by members of the National Assembly who expressed concern about the delay in the signing into law of the Electoral Bill as the one month period provided by the law for the President to sign a bill presented to him by the National Assembly is about to expire in the next few days.

He added that many of the legislators who contacted him were particularly disturbed that certain individuals who are said to be chairmen of political parties had approached the Federal High Court to stop the President from assenting to the bill.

He noted that the jaded tactic employed in the 90s to scuttle the return to democracy when groups like the Association for Better Nigeria (ABN) went to court to frustrate the announcement of the results of the June 12, 1993 elections is now being adopted by some masked groups and individuals to stop the signing into law of the Electoral Bill.

He urged President Buhari to dissociate himself from these ugly antics and sign the bill which he said has comprehensively addressed issues that usually clog the process of free, fair, credible and peaceful elections.

“ It is the prerogative of the President to either sign a Bill into law or refuse it assent. He is free to exercise this prerogative the way he likes in this case. What I found surprising is a situation where some people now want to adopt a wrong tactic of abusing the court process to stall the matter. That will be unacceptable and I am sure our judiciary will rely on the lessons from the past and not allow itself to be used.

“We do not want the President to allow the setting of a bad precedent in which somebody will go to court in future to stop the passage of an appropriation bill or any essential law which will be important to the development of the country.

“My position remains that the President, his aides, the entire country and the international community are aware that all the concerns raised by the President on the past three occasions he withheld assent to the bill have been addressed by the legislature. We bent backwards on each occasion to accommodate the wishes of the President. We started work on this law since 2016 to prevent a situation where it would become part of the election controversies.

“Every sincere commentator, observer and analyst knows that what we have done with that bill is to raise the level of transparency, credibility and acceptability of our electoral process. We made sure that the law if assented to and honestly applied by INEC and all those concerned will give us an election that will be better than what we had in 2015.

“The President should know that the survival of democracy, its development and the future of Nigeria are far more important than the ambition of any individual or party. I am using this opportunity to call on President Muhammadu Buhari to put a stop to this uncertainty in the political process by signing without delay the 2018 Electoral Bill so as to allow INEC and the concerned parties know how to prepare for a credible process”, Saraki stated.

https://politicsngr.com/breaking-sign-electoral-bill-now-else-saraki-warns-president-buhari/

That's a president who is obsessed over his personal interest, more so, to win Second term to remain president of Nigeria at 80 years.

A president who appointed his close relation as umpire for a competition he is involved in.

Unless opposition parties refuse president Buhari's appointment of his relation as INEC Chair, they are not serious.
Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by Jombom: 5:56am On Dec 06, 2018
Gandollar:
You are either a kid or just a grown kid. Either way, I don't have the time to school you.
How old is your Igbotic father ?
Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by ashjay001(m): 5:58am On Dec 06, 2018
franchasng:
Is Buhari Truly Cloned or Being Doubled

Quote from an intelligent Nairaland clown.

The facts NwaAmaikpe raised here is the same facts i have continuously raised.

I may be wrong, but dear fellow Nigerians, please let's think and use our God given wisdom.

Aisha Buhari have done her best in using indirect approaches to tell Nigerians that it is no longer her husband that's in charge, this she has done over and over but we take it for granted

With all her previous negative utterances, who knows if she was used in poisoning him?

He's right, to trust no berger! If u don't like it, prepare to put ur vote where ur mouth is, come febuharitongue

1 Like

Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by Gandollar(f): 6:02am On Dec 06, 2018
Jombom:
How old is your Igbotic father ?
Older than your fetish father.

1 Like

Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by Jombom: 6:10am On Dec 06, 2018
MEGAWATCH:

He may be dumb but you are so foolish for not using your God given brains to counter the points he raised, that is how educated people discuss issues in a modern society and not to resort to causes like you are doing.

toplinetrtrend:

Why not go through the intelligent points raised in the comment and ask yourself if you are not the real dumb bigot
My God given brain made me understand it’s worthless correcting irredeemable hate filled bigots whose judgement is clouded by chronic hate, it is even more insane raising n arguing points with such morons.

I rather waste my time exposing the bigotry of those pathetic jerks that claim they are hated by all from Ikwerre Hausa Fulani Yoruba South Africans Arabs Malaysians Chinese Indians.

1 Like

Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by awhy11(m): 6:16am On Dec 06, 2018
Are they begging nii?
Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by Wallade(m): 6:21am On Dec 06, 2018
duwdu:
Saraki is just shouting on this issue for nothing. If he and his colleagues had honest intentions, they would have gotten the Bill off the ground way before this time.

In any case, the African Charter states that any law that will be used to conduct an election should be in place not later than six months before the election is scheduled to take place.

That's only fair, because all the preps and rules towards the election would then derive from the law. In this case, most of the rules and preps and equipment provisions have been locked in based on the Law that was used for the 2015 elections, which elections and outcomes were adjudged fair by all sides.

So, why change the rules of a game in the middle of play? That should not be allowed in a proper democratic setting, and I belief that's the spirit behind that aspect of the African Charter on Elections I referred to earlier.

BTW, Mr. Falana (SAN) had supported this African Charter under reference, and had warned about the present lacuna, once it occurred to him the process for the conclusion of the new Bill would not be in place earlier than six months before February 12, 2019, or thereabout.

As things stand, the new Bill will have to wait to be used for elections that will be scheduled to hold not less than six months after it may have become Law.

P34c3

However, Buhari should sign it into law anyway.
Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by chinedumoooo: 6:39am On Dec 06, 2018
Saraki, you have trying to frustrated the president effort through your diverse means which included the re-ordering of election to suit you and your co.call for quick assent to the bill indicate something fishy and abnormal.the president definitely leave you in darkness and in elusion.

1 Like

Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by Amumaigwe: 6:44am On Dec 06, 2018
duwdu:
Saraki is just shouting on this issue for nothing. If he and his colleagues had honest intentions, they would have gotten the Bill off the ground way before this time.

In any case, the African Charter states that any law that will be used to conduct an election should be in place not later than six months before the election is scheduled to take place.

That's only fair, because all the preps and rules towards the election would then derive from the law. In this case, most of the rules and preps and equipment provisions have been locked in based on the Law that was used for the 2015 elections, which elections and outcomes were adjudged fair by all sides.

So, why change the rules of a game in the middle of play? That should not be allowed in a proper democratic setting, and I belief that's the spirit behind that aspect of the African Charter on Elections I referred to earlier.

BTW, Mr. Falana (SAN) had supported this African Charter under reference, and had warned about the present lacuna, once it occurred to him the process for the conclusion of the new Bill would not be in place earlier than six months before February 12, 2019, or thereabout.

As things stand, the new Bill will have to wait to be used for elections that will be scheduled to hold not less than six months after it may have become Law.

P34c3

You are here quoting African Charter as grounds for Buhari not to sign a harmless bill aimed at improving electoral transparency. Supposing you are even correct, would Buhari have obeyed that your African Charter if didn't favour his parochial interest?

2 Likes

Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by Amumaigwe: 6:51am On Dec 06, 2018
efighter:

So are you are saying that the current law which was used to organize the 1999, 2003, 2007, 2011 and 2015 presidential elections cannot guarantee free and fair elections? That's good. If you have used the current law all this while when the People's Destruction Party was in power, then let APC use the same law. If the law was good for you nonentities to rig and manipulate elections, let Buhari use the same law to manipulate the coming elections too. SHIKENA.

Is it not the APC dominated house that is pushing for this ammendment. Have!
Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by surgical: 7:03am On Dec 06, 2018
Xander85:

But what exactly is in that bill that's freaking them out like this? undecided

The other day, was watching the news and saw (i think it's) the senate leader being interviewed, and from his statements you could just tell he was preparing our minds for the inevitable......Buhari not signing the bill! Also saw Keyamo on Channels TV saying similar stuff!

So can anyone tell me just what's in the bill that's giving them sleepless nights!?
it will prevent collation center manipulation, the type that happened in osun

1 Like

Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by jomoh: 7:08am On Dec 06, 2018
FearGodinall:

I repeat there’s something those people are planning to achieve with it.

Here’s my reason.

The electoral amendment is useless as regards to the next year’s election cos the African chatter on election of which nigeria is a signatory to states that any electoral law must have been in place atleast 6months before the election proper. We are just 4months away.

Those people(Saraki and co) knows the truth, they know most Nigerians don’t know about the African charter. They want to use it against the government if the president should sign it, they will claim INEC in conjunction with the federal government refused to use the new electoral law. Of which they already know is useless as regards the African charter.

Saraki and co don’t mean well for this country they just want to confuse the ignorant electorate and wipe up public sympathy for themselves.

The president has intentionally not sign it cos its better it is not signed at all than sign it and some people will use it as excuse to confuse the electorate to score cheap political point.

1 Like

Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by dpete1: 7:26am On Dec 06, 2018
docadams:

Good post
I am not surprised you are one of out of a few that had the patience to read with understanding the topic as well as relate it to extant laws. The COWNU CYCLOPS as usual did what they do best - display of absolute lack comprehension of the issue.
You Seem To Be Oblivious Of This Same African Charter Law's Clause, Which Says : Unless There Is An Urgent Reason For It, And With The Consent Of Other Political Parties.
Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by Ndonu101: 7:31am On Dec 06, 2018
Abaribe was right. Buhari the fake Mr Integrity does not want free and fair election. This is the greatest kind of corruption

Buhari wants INEC to keep making up the numbers for him in Kano.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6XmBezzfVI

1 Like

Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by Ndonu101: 7:33am On Dec 06, 2018
The only reason Buhari is refusing assent is because he is putting personal ambition over National Interest

1 Like

Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by PointZerom: 7:50am On Dec 06, 2018
docadams:

Obviously, your brain just stated working and it ain't working well

Go back to school.
Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by Sirjamo: 7:55am On Dec 06, 2018
toplinetrtrend:

Look through the contents of the bill and ask yourselfyourself if you don't deserve a dirty e-slap.

-Use of card reader.No election will hold if the card reader fails to identify a voter.
-No incidence form will be used which have been a means of rigging in elections.
-Legalized/confirms the order in which the elections will be conducted.
-Handling of legal/constitutional matters that will arise from the conduct of the election.

Stop acting ignorant. It makes you sound stupid, dumb and senseless
In remote areas where there are no mobile network which the card readers use, how do you conduct election there?

1 Like

Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by toplinetrtrend: 9:01am On Dec 06, 2018
Sirjamo:
In remote areas where there are no mobile network which the card readers use, how do you conduct election there?

There is something called power bank for laptop. Mine lasts for more than 10 hours

1 Like

Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by toplinetrtrend: 9:04am On Dec 06, 2018
Jombom:

My God given brain made me understand it’s worthless correcting irredeemable hate filled bigots whose judgement is clouded by chronic hate, it is even more insane raising n arguing points with such morons.

I rather waste my time exposing the bigotry of those pathetic jerks that claim they are hated by all from Ikwerre Hausa Fulani Yoruba South Africans Arabs Malaysians Chinese Indians.

You can bit at words until you bit your tongue. You can keep hugging lies because it's convenient for you.
If you know how to use that thing they call a brain, you'll see that you are the real dumb bigot.

In fact, only a dumb bigot will make this comment.
Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by docadams: 9:53am On Dec 06, 2018
dpete1:
You Seem To Be Oblivious Of This Same African Charter Law's Clause, Which Says : Unless There Is An Urgent Reason For It, And With The Consent Of Other Political Parties.

You all seem to have forgotten the genesis of this crisis
Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by docadams: 9:55am On Dec 06, 2018
PointZerom:

Go back to school.

To do what?
Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by duwdu: 11:03am On Dec 06, 2018
jomoh:
There must be something fundamentally wrong in that electoral bill for PDP, Saraki and his ilks to be hell bent on the presidents assent.

I think it's because they envisage most rural folks would be de-franchised/not be able to vote due to lack of proper voter education and required infrastructure, if the new Law is suddenly put in place just two months (or less) away from the commencement of the general elections.

P34c3
Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by duwdu: 11:08am On Dec 06, 2018
Eruditor:

Funny enough, the bill In question was only recently revised and sent to PMB last week. The law says PMB has 30days to sign but they are pretentiously rushing him to create an atmosphere many may construe as PMB being unwilling to sign it. As if he is not allowed to read it before assenting to it.

A bill, these scandalous knaves tried to remove the card readers from the last time.

True, that. Well spotted.

P34c3
Re: "Sign The Electoral Bill Now" - Saraki Advises President Buhari by precious1967(m): 11:24am On Dec 06, 2018
he should be denied to present 2019 budget without signing the electoral bill

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kogi 2019: Dino Melaye Storms Kogi West And Central (Video) / Gov Uzodinma Flags Off ‘Exercise Golden Dawn’ To Tackle IPOB / Debts: Borrowing Will Land Nigeria Into State Of Bankruptcy – Pastor Adeboye

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.