Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,015 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:38 AM

Pat Utomi Did Not Withdraw From The Presidential Race - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pat Utomi Did Not Withdraw From The Presidential Race (2954 Views)

Jonathan’s Biggest Economic Mistakes — Pat Utomi / Certificate Saga: Withdraw From Presidential Race, PDP Tells Buhari / Pat Utomi To Run As Delta State Gov In 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Go Down)

Pat Utomi Did Not Withdraw From The Presidential Race by freelance(m): 10:40am On Apr 17, 2007
Link: Pat Utomi Is Still In The Presidential Race (Correction)

[s]Pat Utomi Withdraws From Presidential Race

Presidential flag-bearer of the Afican Democratic Congress (ADC) has withdrew from the presidential race in protest against alleged massive rigging in the Governorship and state Houses of Assembly polls.

I wish him all the best, he can see now for himself that Politics is a very different ball game.

What do you guys feel. did he chicken out or did he do the right thing?[/s]
Re: Pat Utomi Did Not Withdraw From The Presidential Race by saintchux(m): 10:42am On Apr 17, 2007
The politics of the country is not matured yet for people like Utomi and Okotie to participate in. I wish Utomi well
Re: Pat Utomi Did Not Withdraw From The Presidential Race by Seun(m): 10:49am On Apr 17, 2007
This is a slap in the face for of who who want to vote for Pat Utomi. Definitely a wrong move.
He could have established himself as the most popular non-winner towards the 2011 presidential elections.
Re: Pat Utomi Did Not Withdraw From The Presidential Race by loluuu(m): 11:10am On Apr 17, 2007
he's just a baga!
Re: Pat Utomi Did Not Withdraw From The Presidential Race by viee(f): 11:14am On Apr 17, 2007
i have always felt that Pat Utomi like Gani should not bother getting in voled in Naija politics. I feel that withdrawal is a smart move since they will certainly be no election come Saturday.

I'm sure baba OBJ would have taken Yaradua on a tour of Aso Rock for familiarization, what's the point?

it is really not up them to fight this shame in Nigeria because they can never win but if we can collectively fight the fight as Nigerians and stand for what we believe then pple like gani  and utomi can favorably contest.

i remember someone saying that we are the architect of our own misfourtune, looking at it from the point of view of the fact that we have less than 1% representing us. all we need to do is say enough is enough!

but in a situation where by the labour calls for strike and pple are protesting, the private sector is requesting to be left alone, the few influential pple are give millions that last just a year, Resistance is just impossible.

while i detest violence, i still know that any change i sorry to say must involve violence.

this days, peace demonstration always bring up the question; how peaceful?

it is all about revolution really.

for us in Naija any day / year / or hour we all decide to leave our homes sit down on our dirty streets in protest, things will never change, and of course the likes of iwu will always be there while the likes of Gani and Utomi will keep withdrawing
Re: Pat Utomi Did Not Withdraw From The Presidential Race by Tobenia(f): 11:16am On Apr 17, 2007
I don't blame him, he really doesn't stand a chance,especially given the selection method, of last Saturday's supposed election. May God save Nigeria, AMEN.
Re: Pat Utomi Did Not Withdraw From The Presidential Race by Razorr(f): 11:25am On Apr 17, 2007
Anyone who thinks that Nigeria has emerged from the dark ages is just living in a fools paradise!

I have said it before, it is because of these kind of nonsense that I do not like commenting on politics!

I don't like people messing with my brain!  angry

I keep saying it - Naija politics stinks! Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! angry
Re: Pat Utomi Did Not Withdraw From The Presidential Race by TrueTalk3: 11:26am On Apr 17, 2007
He should have remained in the race (despite his slim chances) at least to prove his point.

Quitters never win. Winners never quit

Its always more interesting for one to stand for what he believes (in dis case his ambition and his desire to serve 9ja).
Re: Pat Utomi Did Not Withdraw From The Presidential Race by Nobody: 11:28am On Apr 17, 2007
What difference does it make?

I wish him well though.
Re: Pat Utomi Did Not Withdraw From The Presidential Race by Tonyblu(m): 11:33am On Apr 17, 2007
I am definitely sick & tired of our electioneering and democratic process. It's sad. sad

viee:

. . . it is really not up them to fight this shame in Nigeria because they can never win but if we can collectively fight the fight as Nigerians and stand for what we believe then people like Gani and Utomi can favorably contest.
. . . I remember someone saying that we are the architect of our own misfourtune.
. . . All we need to do is say enough is enough!
. . . while I detest violence, I still know that any change, I'm sorry to say, must involve violence. . .

As Nigerians, All we need to do is to say: Enough is Enough.

I almost feel like weeping cry whenever I try to imagine what the next 4 - 8years will be like in Nigeria.
Most of, if not all, the Guv'nors hav rigged their way into the State Houses.
The Presidential elections billed for Sat'day, so far have shown no credible opposition to the ruling party. So it'll be business as usual.

It's really so SAD! sad sad sad
Re: Pat Utomi Did Not Withdraw From The Presidential Race by Miccy(m): 11:35am On Apr 17, 2007
what took him so long to have made this decision? i think he waited too long to have decided his fate in this election. he made the right decision at the wrong time. anyway, i wish him the best.
Re: Pat Utomi Did Not Withdraw From The Presidential Race by Razorr(f): 11:39am On Apr 17, 2007
True Talk:

He should have remained in the race (despite his slim chances) at least to prove his point.

Quitters never win. Winners never quit

Its always more interesting for one to stand for what he believes (in this case his ambition and his desire to serve Nigeria).

Just Sharaaap!

Don't get me angry to the point of insulting you!

I don't blame the guy. He's smart!

Nigerian politics is just a script being played out! A script master-minded by baba himself! angry

Our political situation would never improve until the control of INEC is removed from the hands of the Presidency! HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! angry

See what happened in Edo State! angry
Re: Pat Utomi Did Not Withdraw From The Presidential Race by Tonyblu(m): 11:47am On Apr 17, 2007
I just read this:
Presidential flag-bearer of the African Democratic Congress (ADC), Professor Pat Utomi yesterday withdrew from this Saturday’s presidential election in protest against alleged massive rigging in the Governorship and state Houses of Assembly polls.
He said at a press conference in Abuja that the remaining process should be aborted and the stage should be prepared for the Senate President, Senator Ken Nnamani to take over on May 29, this year preparatory to conducting fresh elections six months after take over. . .

Read more: http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=75727
Re: Pat Utomi Did Not Withdraw From The Presidential Race by topojons(m): 11:52am On Apr 17, 2007
i told pat utomi to stay with his business school and remain a good and responsible man that everybody loves, He his not working with those so called liers, POLI TRICKS,

I am happy with his moved of withdraw,

Before something else happen,

Who knows,
Re: Pat Utomi Did Not Withdraw From The Presidential Race by babalawo(m): 11:53am On Apr 17, 2007
let all the presidentail candidate back out let only PDP contest
leaving them to their show of shame
contesting the presidentail polls with them is like rubber stamping their mago mago last week end
no body should blame UTOMI at all-let all candidate be like him
if we are going to have an illegal government -which is inevitable-let us make it tottally illegal
in a situation like this that is one of the most reasonable thing to do-election boycott
LET US ALL CAMPAIGN FOR THIS
Re: Pat Utomi Did Not Withdraw From The Presidential Race by kitaun(m): 11:58am On Apr 17, 2007
Was he even going to win d polling booth where he would cast his vote? Pray tell in any which ward, LG or state his party stood/stands any chance?
Re: Pat Utomi Did Not Withdraw From The Presidential Race by Beline(f): 12:08pm On Apr 17, 2007
I'm waiting for the day we will wake up and fight for our right

THIS IS THE RIGHT TIME BE ASSURED THAT THERE IS NO PEACE WITHOUT WAR, SO IF WE NEED PEACE WE MUST FIGHT FOR IT

MAY GOD HELP US ON THIS FIGHT
Re: Pat Utomi Did Not Withdraw From The Presidential Race by Tonyblu(m): 12:18pm On Apr 17, 2007
U mean Boycott?
Good idea!

Let only PDP do the voting, it's about time they learn that NIGERIA belongs to over 150million people, not just a meagre less-than 500,000 (about 0.33%) politicians.

Sovereignty is for NIGERIANS, not the politicians.
Re: Pat Utomi Did Not Withdraw From The Presidential Race by jeshua(m): 12:20pm On Apr 17, 2007
Beline:

I'm waiting for the day we will wake up and fight for our right

THIS IS THE RIGHT TIME BE ASSURED THAT THERE IS NO PEACE WITHOUT WAR, SO IF WE NEED PEACE WE MUST FIGHT FOR IT

MAY GOD HELP US ON THIS FIGHT

My friend who do you want to fight? Forget it nobody is going to fight. Pat Utomi was just day dreaming and I am pleased he realised that it was all a dream. He is wide awake now and i pray Okotie too wakes up and discover that Nigeria is not Europe and America and neither is nigeria the middle east. We are unique set of people-NIGERIA.
just like how name-Niger area, we dont even have a location, we are just people around the Niger river. Well, it  is good that we all know that we can contest and know if we will loose or win, at least nigeria is the only place you can actually know the result of your gambling exercise.
I have told my friends, Obasanjo is not a president material, he was in power in the 70's because the real president died and he came to power in the 90's because the real president also died(Abiola). Well, lets hope that Yaradua stays in power because if he dies tomorrow, Obasanjo is coming back.

The only way out is an uprising from the grass root. People , i mean real people-from the villages,  the farms and the  mountains will one day come over and ask us to enthrone one of their own, who will always be attached to the grass root and not civilized enough to know that their are actually planes and not horses for travelling.I mean somebody who only wants to serve but was forcefully (trully) enthroned to lead us, humble enough to know that he didnt get to power becos he is but becos he can be.
Re: Pat Utomi Did Not Withdraw From The Presidential Race by Beline(f): 12:34pm On Apr 17, 2007
jeshua:

My friend who do you want to fight? Forget it nobody is going to fight. Pat Utomi was just day dreaming and I am pleased he realised that it was all a dream. He is wide awake now and i pray Okotie too wakes up and discover that Nigeria is not Europe and America and neither is nigeria the middle east. We are unique set of people-NIGERIA.
just like how name-Niger area, we don't even have a location, we are just people around the Niger river. Well, it is good that we all know that we can contest and know if we will loose or win, at least nigeria is the only place you can actually know the result of your gambling exercise.
I have told my friends, Obasanjo is not a president material, he was in power in the 70's because the real president died and he came to power in the 90's because the real president also died(Abiola). Well, lets hope that Yaradua stays in power because if he dies tomorrow, Obasanjo is coming back.

The only way out is an uprising from the grass root. People , i mean real people-from the villages, the farms and the mountains will one day come over and ask us to enthrone one of their own, who will always be attached to the grass root and not civilized enough to know that their are actually planes and not horses for travelling.I mean somebody who only wants to serve but was forcefully (trully) enthroned to lead us, humble enough to know that he didnt get to power because he is but because he can be.

When I said fight I don't mean physical battle ok
Re: Pat Utomi Did Not Withdraw From The Presidential Race by diyobdw(f): 12:44pm On Apr 17, 2007
why did he waiit the long?Economist na for book and book no dey work for politics esp'y not in 9ja.

I have always known it was for Promo stunt--- Not even in 2011.
Rigging na just mere excuse.Why as his campaign been slow & steady?
Re: Pat Utomi Did Not Withdraw From The Presidential Race by samsilo(m): 12:49pm On Apr 17, 2007
I worked with  a cousin  to get PDP nomination as a councilor in Akwa Ibom in 2003.During the election what I saw from the village level, ballot box stealing, matcheting etc, and after spending almost 1 million naira the guy regretted so much because the whole results were decided in a hotel in Uyo.  
He won because he had backing in PDP high levels, but that experience showed me that the only way clean guys or gentle people like Pat Utomi can win any election is if the masses fight against the system.
Fighting against the system ,not with guns but the way the people in Lagos ,Abia state and most significantly on June 12 did .
There is a kind of electorate turn out which the best riggers cannot change the results.
Thats the only way Nigerians can have a voice, but if people stay at home and criticize ,na carry go for the riggers
Re: Pat Utomi Did Not Withdraw From The Presidential Race by moondust(m): 12:53pm On Apr 17, 2007
well his crowd now belong to buhari
Re: Pat Utomi Did Not Withdraw From The Presidential Race by omon(m): 12:56pm On Apr 17, 2007
It seems everybody was expecting PDP to loose all the states, that makes nonsense of normal thought, Pat Utomi, for whom I have high regards did not have a good campaign.  I did not know what he stood for or what he was going to do in absolute terms.  I wish him well.
Re: Pat Utomi Did Not Withdraw From The Presidential Race by omon(m): 12:58pm On Apr 17, 2007
Voting Buhari just because you want to get at OBJ is not the way to go, Be wise and vote wisely
Re: Pat Utomi Did Not Withdraw From The Presidential Race by akara(m): 1:07pm On Apr 17, 2007
grin

Come to think of it, would the likes of Utomi and Gani (2003) make a difference against the established order of politics? Gani did the right think by leaving politics and I thinK Pat Utomi has done the right thing as well. I truely see it as a protest against the goings on. He should come back when the nation is more mature on how politics should be played

cool
Re: Pat Utomi Did Not Withdraw From The Presidential Race by TayoD(m): 1:08pm On Apr 17, 2007
@topic,

I have always been of the opinion that Utomi, like Gani and possibly Duke don't have what it takes to rule the present day Nigeria. They lack the vision, attitude and doggedness to help them attain that lofty ideal. I thought Utomi will wait to lose the election before giving up on Nigeria, but he chickened out much too soon.  And by the way, his call for the Senate President to take over borders on criminality.

In my humble opinion, Okotie is the only person I can point to who is unrepentantly committed to a change in Nigeria today, and his efforts is already paying off.  He has been the sole advocate and apostle of the philosophy of generational shift which is now adopted even by the ruling party.

Despite the fact that he lost at the last election, he never gave up on the dream and went to court to challenge the results. Being law abiding, he obeyed the court rulings but never gave up. He is back now and will be back agian if he loses out in this election.

He represents the generation and class of Nigerians we need in power. He is dogged and has risen from grass to grace in a dinstinguished fashion before the eyes of all Nigerians.  What more could we ask for? He is willing to challenge the status quo and has an unrivalled doggedness and passion that is second to none. I remeber a statement he made after losing out in the last election.  He said: "My Father lives in a city on a hill, so I have learnt how to climb mountains."   This is the same mountain he is climbing not for himself or his children (he has none), but for the future of Nigerians in general.  The mountain may be high and poses a great challenge, but with God and Nigeirans on his side, we will together get to the peak.

Let's give him a chance.  What have we got to lose but a bunch of old and recycled politicians with reduntant ideas for our great nation. Nigerians let's go FRESH - Faith, Responsibility, Equality, Security and Hope!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Pat Utomi Did Not Withdraw From The Presidential Race by trendy(f): 1:21pm On Apr 17, 2007
wISE mAN

i know he is going to make a good leader
but it is obvious, even to a fool that he cant win
even if everyone in naija vote for him
Re: Pat Utomi Did Not Withdraw From The Presidential Race by Agboola1(m): 1:33pm On Apr 17, 2007
A stitch in time saves nine. u know. he is a sharp guy
Re: Pat Utomi Did Not Withdraw From The Presidential Race by degubi(m): 1:41pm On Apr 17, 2007
i do not blame him for stepping aside, it is obvious even to blind,deaf and dumb individual that there is nothing free and fair about the elections. the basic problem with most political parties is the absence of ideology, many parties assemble to fight an injustice or a ruling party.

what pat utomi and others like him should do is to plan ahead. build your party with solid idoelogies, do not wait till election time to affect the society, start putting up programmes, projects, seminars that will target the populace and disabuse their minds from the opinions of nigeria as a failed state. project that within eight or more years your party should have a solid structure, with credible leaders who can take up positions in government, this way you will be better prepared.

what is happening in this country cannot go on forever, people are begining to wake up to their responsibilties and with time nigeria must and will change.
Re: Pat Utomi Did Not Withdraw From The Presidential Race by Mamajama(m): 1:41pm On Apr 17, 2007
I am not sure why people are wasting time on this issue, he does not even stand a chance to beat yar Adua or Buhari
Re: Pat Utomi Did Not Withdraw From The Presidential Race by Afam(m): 1:49pm On Apr 17, 2007
Utomi does not even understand Nigeria to begin with. I have stated since day 1 that no southerner should be talking about the presidency for now because power will return to the north

(1) (2)

FG Stalls Halliburton Bribery Scandal Probe / A Nigerian Politician's Son Sitting On 1 Million Naira / Did President Jonathan Really Give Soku Oil Well To Bayelsa Over Rivers?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.