Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,427 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:25 AM

Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan To Seek One Term - BBC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan To Seek One Term - BBC (2976 Views)

Buhari May Spend One Term In Office, ‘president Already Has A Successor In Mind’ / Buhari's One-term Pledge Tears APC Leaders Apart / Jonathan Signed An Agreement For One-Term - Aliyu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan To Seek One Term - BBC by Nobody: 10:42pm On Feb 01, 2011

Nigeria's President Goodluck Jonathan has said he will not seek a second term in office if he wins elections scheduled for April.

As the governing party candidate, he is the favourite even though some party officials have said he should not run.

He is a southerner and the People's Democratic Party (PDP) has a tradition of alternating power between north and south of the country.

Under this unwritten rule, the PDP candidate should be from the north.

But in January's party primary, Mr Jonathan overwhelmingly defeated a northerner, ex-Vice-President Atiku Abubakar.

Last year, the party's powerful governors suggested that Mr Jonathan only seek one term as a compromise.

The PDP candidate has won every poll since the end of military rule in 1999.

However, most of its victories have been marred by widespread fraud and violence.

Mr Jonathan became leader after the death of elected President Umaru Yar'Adua in May 2010.

He is the first president from Nigeria's southern, oil-producing Niger Delta region.

Mr Jonathan has promised to introduce electoral reforms, but correspondents say it will be difficult to implement radical changes before April.

The main opposition candidates are former anti-corruption campaigner Nuhu Ribadu and Gen Muhammadu Buhari.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12339017
Re: Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan To Seek One Term - BBC by Becomrichn: 11:11pm On Feb 01, 2011
Re: Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan To Seek One Term - BBC by Tsiya(m): 11:13pm On Feb 01, 2011
I do not like the unnecessary promises the President is making. He is a Nigerian, and he has every right to recontest for the presidency 4 years from now.
Re: Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan To Seek One Term - BBC by Demdem(m): 3:19pm On Mar 07, 2013
Am still optimistic that the retardeen will keep to his words. grin grin
Re: Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan To Seek One Term - BBC by usmanyaro17: 3:26pm On Mar 07, 2013
Maybe when we see the agreement or pact we may tend to believe the story going round,moreover, the constitution is the ultimate, the only force that can stop him is the people and time shall tell on that..
Re: Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan To Seek One Term - BBC by jerusalem101: 3:44pm On Mar 07, 2013
The presidency has challenged PDP governors to produce any document signed by president Goodluck Jonathan limiting him to a one term presidency.

Ahmed Gulak, the Senior Special Adviser to the President on Political Affairs spoke on an African Independent Television (AIT) programme yesterday maintaining that the president can not be intimidated away from contesting the elections.

Niger state governor, Babangida Aliyu had on Saturday, on a Liberty FM radio programme, said President Goodluck Jonathan signed an agreement with PDP governors not to seek re-election in 2015.

Gulak, however, insisted this is not true. He said Aliyu’s staement was borned out of his ambition to contest for the same position in the next general elections.

Gulak said, “I’m telling you without any iota of doubt and with all sense of responsibility that there has never been any agreement or pact signed by the

President that he is going to run for only one term. He has never told me about it and I have never heard about it. The governors said they have the agreement, let them bring it. I know as of fact that there is no such agreement.”

“We are all Nigerians and if you want to pursue your own ambition, like I have always said, you have the right. You have the right to pursue your ambition to be the President of Nigeria. But you don’t have to concoct stories to justify your ambition.

“President Jonathan never signed such a pact, but only gave Nigerians the general guarantee of one-man, one-vote and that no one has the political strength to intimidate the President to run away from his constitutional right of contesting the next elections, should he decide to do so.”
http://www.ynaija.com/jonathan-never-signed-one-term-agreement-presidency/
Re: Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan To Seek One Term - BBC by Demdem(m): 4:06pm On Mar 07, 2013
Re: Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan To Seek One Term - BBC by maclatunji: 4:13pm On Mar 07, 2013
Lies have a way of boomeranging.
Re: Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan To Seek One Term - BBC by Demdem(m): 4:16pm On Mar 07, 2013
grin
Re: Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan To Seek One Term - BBC by Joey82(m): 4:27pm On Mar 07, 2013
@Demdem
y are u reopening long abandoned threads.
maybe the president has changed his mind.
in Nigeria, nobody makes promises as much as politicians and if there is one thing these politicians are good at, its not keeping to promises.
Re: Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan To Seek One Term - BBC by Demdem(m): 4:31pm On Mar 07, 2013
Joey82: @Demdem
y are u reopening long abandoned threads.
maybe the president has changed his mind.
in Nigeria, nobody makes promises as much as politicians and if there is one thing these politicians are good at, its not keeping to promises.

Ask seun, there is nothing like abandon threads. They all all live.
Nothing us wrong if he changes his mind, after all he is human. Let him just come out and say so. Very easy.
Re: Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan To Seek One Term - BBC by badassnigga(m): 4:36pm On Mar 07, 2013
gud news grin
Re: Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan To Seek One Term - BBC by Nobody: 4:37pm On Mar 07, 2013
Jonathan is a lying bas't'ard and a betrayal. . . . .
Re: Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan To Seek One Term - BBC by Ngwakwe: 4:39pm On Mar 07, 2013
Probably after canceling the renewal of those Oil Blocks that were gotten by crook.

Demdem:

Ask seun, there is nothing like abandon threads. They all all live.
Nothing us wrong if he changes his mind, after all he is human. Let him just come out and say so. Very easy.
Re: Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan To Seek One Term - BBC by Demdem(m): 4:43pm On Mar 07, 2013
Ngwakwe: Probably after canceling the renewal of those Oil Blocks that were gotten by crook.

Retardeen does not have the guts and balls to do such. It's not that I care but do u wanna bet deeper lifer?
Before u say yea, ask lostpope how his bet with me still hunts him till date. I hardly forgets things. grin
Re: Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan To Seek One Term - BBC by kettykin: 5:08pm On Mar 07, 2013
Nigeria is a country where no Agreement has ever been kept before people remind or ask Jonathan to keep this Old and out dated agreement , Nigerians need to go back to other old Agreements and keep them like the Aburi Accord
Re: Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan To Seek One Term - BBC by Ngwakwe: 5:19pm On Mar 07, 2013
I don't trust any politician neither do I know the forces militating against GEJ nor his limitations but all I know is that having the discussion about the Ownership of those Oil Blocks in public domain will either force GEJ to renege on renewing them on expiration or force them to pay the actual market value or allow open bid for the Oil blocks.

Yesterday, the ownerships of those Oil Blocks were exposed before the senate floor with documented and verifiable data presented to them by one senator from Akwa Ibom State. He also argued that the owners were the ones stealing and loading those ships that deliver Nigerian stolen crude overseas.

Demdem:

Retardeen does not have the guts and balls to do such. It's not that I care but do u wanna bet deeper lifer?
Before u say yea, ask lostpope how his bet with me still hunts him till date. I hardly forgets things. grin
Re: Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan To Seek One Term - BBC by Demdem(m): 5:27pm On Mar 07, 2013
Ngwakwe: I don't trust any politician neither do I know the forces militating against GEJ nor his limitations but all I know is that having the discussion about the Ownership of those Oil Blocks in public domain will either force GEJ to renege on renewing them on expiration or force them to pay the actual market value or allow open bid for the Oil blocks.

Yesterday, the ownerships of those Oil Blocks were exposed before the senate floor with documented and verifiable data presented to them by one senator from Akwa Ibom State. He also argued that the owners were the ones stealing and loading those ships that deliver Nigerian stolen crude overseas.

are u insinuating that the retardeen never knew this even right before he became VP let alone President? what has he done about it since then? or do u think its news to him? grin Look cut the long story short, do u wanna bet? grin grin
Re: Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan To Seek One Term - BBC by Ngwakwe: 5:47pm On Mar 07, 2013
We are taught in the Church that betting is Sin and I haven't done that for more than 20years. Why should I do it now?

We can either agree to disagree or continue to argue till thy kingdom come.

Demdem:

grin Look cut the long story short, do u wanna bet? grin grin
Re: Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan To Seek One Term - BBC by lacasa: 6:44pm On Mar 07, 2013
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!! cheesy

This man is going back on his word.

Bloody ScumBag,, wat a 2faced fisherman angry

No wonder He is a Massive Failure angry
Re: Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan To Seek One Term - BBC by teskyg: 6:58pm On Mar 07, 2013
KK
Re: Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan To Seek One Term - BBC by gramci: 9:00pm On Mar 07, 2013
Its obvious some folks are afraid of the ballot cheesy
Re: Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan To Seek One Term - BBC by Demdem(m): 10:17pm On Mar 07, 2013
Ngwakwe: We are taught in the Church that betting is Sin and I haven't done that for more than 20years. Why should I do it now?

We can either agree to disagree or continue to argue till thy kingdom come.

U aren't man enough. Anyway, its noted.
Re: Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan To Seek One Term - BBC by Demdem(m): 10:18pm On Mar 07, 2013
gramci: Its obvious some folks are afraid of the ballot cheesy

It's obvious someone made a promise. grin
Re: Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan To Seek One Term - BBC by gramci: 10:32pm On Mar 07, 2013
Demdem:

It's obvious someone made a promise. grin

Why are you avoiding this front page thread.
https://www.nairaland.com/1218121/omotosho-power-plant-ready-commissioning/2#14651659

Enemy of progress
Re: Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan To Seek One Term - BBC by Demdem(m): 10:41pm On Mar 07, 2013
gramci:

Why are you avoiding this front page thread.

Enemy of progress
grin grin goon, how many times do I want to praise the retardeen for marginal increase in power even though I haven't personally experience it. Ask ur fellow cohorts, they will confirm this. grin
Re: Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan To Seek One Term - BBC by gramci: 11:08pm On Mar 07, 2013
Demdem:
grin grin goon, how many times do I want to praise the retardeen for marginal increase in power even though I haven't personally experience it. Ask ur fellow cohorts, they will confirm this. grin

I pity you cheesy
Re: Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan To Seek One Term - BBC by free2ryhme: 12:43am On Mar 08, 2013
frosbel:

Nigeria's President Goodluck Jonathan has said he will not seek a second term in office if he wins elections scheduled for April.

As the governing party candidate, he is the favourite even though some party officials have said he should not run.

He is a southerner and the People's Democratic Party (PDP) has a tradition of alternating power between north and south of the country.

Under this unwritten rule, the PDP candidate should be from the north.

But in January's party primary, Mr Jonathan overwhelmingly defeated a northerner, ex-Vice-President Atiku Abubakar.

Last year, the party's powerful governors suggested that Mr Jonathan only seek one term as a compromise.

The PDP candidate has won every poll since the end of military rule in 1999.

However, most of its victories have been marred by widespread fraud and violence.

Mr Jonathan became leader after the death of elected President Umaru Yar'Adua in May 2010.

He is the first president from Nigeria's southern, oil-producing Niger Delta region.

Mr Jonathan has promised to introduce electoral reforms, but correspondents say it will be difficult to implement radical changes before April.

The main opposition candidates are former anti-corruption campaigner Nuhu Ribadu and Gen Muhammadu Buhari.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12339017

This is stale news
Re: Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan To Seek One Term - BBC by Nobody: 12:51am On Mar 08, 2013
GEJ is a conformed liar. He is already denying this. Shameful. Sad. We can't have a liar as our commander in chief. Vote the clueless leader out in 2015.
Re: Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan To Seek One Term - BBC by Demdem(m): 7:21am On Mar 08, 2013
gramci:

I pity you cheesy

Pity ur miserable life grin
Re: Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan To Seek One Term - BBC by dridowu: 7:52am On Mar 08, 2013

(1) (Reply)

PDP Begs Obasanjo For Forgiveness / Olubadan Endorses Buhari / UNCOVERED: Post-election Plans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.