Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,862 members, 7,810,288 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:46 AM

Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? (3184 Views)

Does Goodluck Jonathan Get Standing Order Of Impunity As Ex-president? / Does Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Deserves To Be Called An Hero? / Why Does Goodluck Jonathan Go To Germany For Medical Treatment? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by kolayusuf: 8:05pm On Aug 14, 2010
By Is'haq Modibbo Kawu
Source: Daily Trust
Date: Wednesday, August 4th, 2010

Last year, we were invited to attend a Nigerian Achievements Awards, in Johannesburg, South Africa. Then Vice President, Jonathan Goodluck was special guest at the event. Frankly, his speech was boring and uninspiring.
In the piece that I wrote on my return home, I lamented Goodluck’s dour and colourless disposition. The South African co-chair was a lady whose erudition was impressive and arresting, while our man, Jonathan Goodluck, like chloroform, literally sent us to sleep. I had stated that the vice president was an expression of everything wrong with Nigeria’s leadership recruitment! But by incredible good luck (no pun intended!), the dour, colourless and clueless man, is today sitting atop our country as president.

Combining personal and political shortcomings, Goodluck Jonathan, has become a divisive factor of Nigerian political life. This divisiveness is rooted in Jonathan’s ambition to become our next president, by stealth, mischief or caprice. The emotion for and against Goodluck Jonathan’s candidacy is casting a dangerous pall on Nigerian politics. But giving ourselves the pause for a moment, what does Jonathan really stand for? What are his core values and conceptual frames of apprehension of the problems facing Nigeria today? Can this clueless gentleman provide the leadership which Nigeria deserves in the present circumstance? And if the records of power are what will be canvassed with the Nigerian electorate, what will speak for Jonathan the candidate?

This week, the media reported Oronto Douglas, Jonathan’s Senior Special Assistant on Strategy, Research and Documentation, as saying that Jonathan would not preside over a divided nation. It is the most bizarre statement yet out of the Jonathan camp, given that the central strategy of the Goodluck presidential project is precisely to divide the country, especially Northern Nigeria, in the mistaken belief that it would serve to win him candidacy and then presidency. But what we still haven’t seen is an outline of thoughts and ideas for national development from Jonathan; unfortunately, that is not the area of the president’s competence! His record in power since the late President Umaru Yar’adua’s illness and death cannot be taken to the electorate. Goodluck is less that average in provision of leadership for power supply issues; under him we have a bankrupt NNPC in our hands; as a matter of fact, his oil policy is reduced to cutting deals with oil companies and there are reports of NNPC top officials being called to meetings to be told that Niger Delta thugs like Tom Polo are interested in lifting crude!

Jonathan has no record on which to lean in his desire to become our president in 2011. His entire public service record reveals an incurable mediocrity: a nondescript deputy director at NDDC; a cowardly deputy governor in Bayelsa; a governor whose wife ended up stealing millions of dollars (according to Nuhu Ribadu’s EFCC); a scheming vice president and now a divisive and below-average president! Any student of Political Science 101 should conveniently predict that no candidate can go to the electorate with a record like Jonathan’s. That is why there are reports of secret meetings being held with foreign election bodies as part of a multi-track agenda. Nigeria is in a flux, almost like we were in 1998, and is therefore available for the taking by the most audacious political forces. Unfortunately, the opposition is incompetent and pathologically unable to rise to the heights of power. The danger we face as a country is that a clueless Jonathan Goodluck might then, by stealth, inherit power. It will be unending nightmare for the Nigeria people: 8 years of kleptocracy under Obasanjo; three years of sleepwalking under Yar’adua and years of driving in reverse gear, drunk and clueless, under Jonathan Goodluck. Nigeria’s fate is sealed!

The Curious Tale of the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC)
Last week, the Senate dissolved its Communications Committee. This followed revelations that the Committee chairman Senator Sylvester Anyanwu, had forged the signatures of committee members and security report used to clear the new candidate for EVC of NCC, Eugene Juwah. Curiously the candidate was still cleared despite the forgery! Those who hurriedly cleared Eugene Juwah to become EVC knew that he was one of those who took MTS Wireless to the mortuary; a record they don’t want interrogated! In truth, NCC is a house of absurdities! ONLY IBO people have EVER been chief executives of NCC since inception in 1992: Ogbonnaya Iromantu, Emmanuel Nnnana, Mrs. Tina Nwachukwu, Ernest Ndukwe and now Juwah! The dirty manoeuvrings which led to Eugene Juwah’s emergence reached the highest levels of the presidency. One of the reasons for the desperacy is the 2011 elections. NCC is expected to funnel funds into the PDP’s campaign and Jonathan’s; it is therefore important to ensure that the “proper” candidate heads NCC. There is also the “small matter” of keeping NCC under control of the “anointed” ethnic group. That was why Bashir Gwandu was not given a look-in despite his eminent qualification for the job: he is not from the “owner ethnic group” of the NCC!

Okwesilieze Nwodo’s Laughable Histrionics
For empty platitudes and chest-beating boastfulness nobody can beat Okwesilieze Nwodo, the man SELECTED into chairmanship of PDP, by zoning, a few months ago, to clear the coast for Jonathan Goodluck. If he is not killing the “dead horse” of zoning, the man from Enugu is threatening to whittle the powers of governors to determine the fate of his pricipal puppeteer. This week, Okwesilieze Nwodo is tilting against the windmills of party “Godfathers” and Ghana-must-go (G-M-G)-ferrying governors. Okwesileze Nwodo’s record in a previous incarnation in public office was anything but squeaky clean; today, he is snarling against G-M-G: “In spite of my directives on my inaugural day that people should not bring “Ghana-must-go” bags to our office, they are still doing that”, shouted Okwesilieze at the top of a hoarse voice. Okwesilieze then continues with burning anger, a heaving chest and fire-spitting annoyance: “Anyone who tries it again, I’ll disgrace him publicly”. If the “Godfathers”, porters of G-M-G and governors who visit “shiaman” Okwesilieze at home are unaware, Nwodo reminded all that “I took an oath in my church in Enugu before the blessed sacrament that a mustard seed must die for a new tree to grow. I offer my life, so that we can have great men to lead this country”. But with experience as guide, the “Godfathers” and G-M-G porters think “shiaman” Nwodo outburst is bluster; a change in strategy, but with the ultimate goal not compromised, would be in order. Dollars would not require the hard-to-conceal G-M-Gs to convey, for example. The mischievous ones also rejected Okwesilieze Nwodo’s “patriotic” histrionics; he is offering his life, they say, to ensure that ONLY Jonathan eats the pie of presidency, and, to them, Jonathan isn’t a “great man”. They further whispered that his chest-beating is a sickening hypocrisy. And they are all PDP people, just like him!
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by Beaf: 8:12pm On Aug 14, 2010
Story by Is'haq Modibbo Kawu shocked
Newspaper - Daily Trust; the most tribalistic and Southerner hating newspaper that can be imagined. It is safer to read Hitlers works than to even peek at Daily Trust. It is a blood thirsty paper for almajiri's.

All these PDP so called "Northerners" that want to rule by force. Frustration is killing them, thats why they come out with these foolish articles.
[size=33pt]IBB will never rule this country.[/size]
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by mamagee3(f): 8:14pm On Aug 14, 2010
[size=25pt]IBB is a Failure![/size]
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by Beaf: 8:23pm On Aug 14, 2010
Last week, the Senate dissolved its Communications Committee. This followed revelations that the Committee chairman Senator Sylvester Anyanwu, had forged the signatures of committee members and security report used to clear the new candidate for EVC of NCC, Eugene Juwah. Curiously the candidate was still cleared despite the forgery! Those who hurriedly cleared Eugene Juwah to become EVC knew that he was one of those who took MTS Wireless to the mortuary; a record they don’t want interrogated! In truth, NCC is a house of absurdities! [size=14pt]ONLY IBO people have EVER been chief executives of NCC since inception in 1992: Ogbonnaya Iromantu, Emmanuel Nnnana, Mrs. Tina Nwachukwu, Ernest Ndukwe and now Juwah! The dirty manoeuvrings which led to Eugene Juwah’s emergence[/size] reached the highest levels of the presidency. One of the reasons for the desperacy is the 2011 elections. NCC is expected to funnel funds into the PDP’s campaign and Jonathan’s; it is therefore important to ensure that the “proper” candidate heads NCC. There is also the “small matter” of [size=14pt]keeping NCC under control of the “anointed” ethnic group[/size]. That was why Bashir Gwandu was not given a look-in despite his eminent qualification for the job: [size=14pt]he is not from the “owner ethnic group” of the NCC![/size]

Did I not say Daily Trust was worse than Hitler? Can anyone imagine a national newspaper being so pathologically tribalistic? Where is Gbawe to come and defend his favourite paper?
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by kcjazz(m): 8:27pm On Aug 14, 2010
I quite agree with some of his assertions, what really has Jonathan achieved as a governor or vp? I was beginning to give him a chance but the presidential jet issue clearly shows he is one of the boys. Problem is who is better? IBB is a no go, by the way his YouTube video is a joke lol. My anger is with the opposition, they are so useless.
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by kolayusuf: 8:32pm On Aug 14, 2010
Personally, I don't give a hoot about IBB, but Nigerians need to put Jonathan under the microscope. Forget all the words that are dripping from his Facebook Page. By deed and action (not words), can someone please tell me what we can say this man stands for? Personally I am a loss to say. The giddy euphoria surrounding his emergence has beclouded the objectivity of too many people. How he rates as the best man for the job (is anyone even asking this question) going by his antecedents and his actions beats me.

Never mind Daily Trust Is'haq Kawu has raised an important question. Besides inquiring into the ideology of GEJ is not tantamount to saying IBB should be president.

[size=14pt]What does he stand for? Is he the best man for the job?[/size]
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by Beaf: 8:33pm On Aug 14, 2010
kcjazz:

I quite agree with some of his assertions, what really has Jonathan achieved as a governor or vp? I was beginning to give him a chance but the presidential jet issue clearly shows he is one of the boys. Problem is who is better? IBB is a no go, by the way his YouTube video is a joke lol. My anger is with the opposition, they are so useless.

you agree with some of what a very frankly racist article has said? shocked
Like what? It will be interesting to know.

The presidential jets were in the budget. So lets stop this holy pretence. If you don't like Jonathan for any reason (including tribalism), its a free World, nobody biting anyone. . . But when you come out in public, be sure you are talking sense, not glib recitals of the same old hateful Daily Trust style rubbish.

kola_yusuf:

Personally, I don't give a hoot about IBB, but Nigerians need to put Jonathan under the microscope. Forget all the words that are dripping from his Facebook Page. By deed and action (not words), can someone please tell me what we can say this man stands for? Personally I am a loss to say. The giddy euphoria surrounding his emergence has beclouded the objectivity of too many people. How he rates as the best man for the job (is anyone even asking this question) going by his antecedents and his actions beats me.

Never mind Daily Trust Is'haq Kawu has raised an important question. Besides inquiring into the ideology of GEJ is not tantamount to saying IBB should be president.

[size=14pt]What does he stand for? Is he the best man for the job?[/size]

[size=33pt]What does IBB stand for?[/size]
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by kcjazz(m): 8:44pm On Aug 14, 2010
Beaf:

The presidential jets were in the budget. So lets stop this holy pretence. If you don't like Jonathan for any reason (including tribalism), its a free World, nobody biting anyone. . . But when you come out in public, be sure you are talking sense, not glib recitals of the same old hateful Daily Trust style rubbish.

Everyone as a right to say what they want to say, you are selective in your answers, my question is what has he achieved in Bayelsa? For every job in the world employers ask for experience based on the thinking that the results of the past will mirror the future. I don't care if he was governor or a PTA chairman, I need to know what did he achieve in those responsibility.

That the air plane is in the budget doesn't make it final, he can choose not to go ahead with it even if he didn't draft them, he is the president. And by the way I am Igbo so am a southerner. As much as I dislike the federal character enshrined in our constitution I think because of our not so solid past it becomes a necessary feature in our country in order for peace to reign. Maybe the writer is selective or racist that is his own problem.
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by wiseson1: 8:46pm On Aug 14, 2010
I think the candidacy of Goodluck Jonathan has been accepted uncritically in many quarters. I will not argue the fact that his emergence has a fairy tale quality that as human beings we find fascinating. However, I am personally disturbed by his antecedents, and his omissions as well as some of his actions. Firstly, I do not even know what he stands for as a person. His actions (or is it lack of it?) make it impossible to know what his core values are.

It is easy to say that one believes in something, but these beliefs may not necessarily translate into action. First off, I do not know how he was comfortable enough to stay on as the deputy of Alamesiagha - a man who was convicted of corruption. What kind of human being lounges under such a system. How do you explain that? A man who has absolutely no sense of outrage or moral conviction? He was so quick to withdraw Nigeria from international football, did it escape him that such tough action is required in other aspects of our national life? Why has he refused to take such action against corruption, infrastructural decay, national drift?

There are matters even more important than football that need addressing in our national life. Why is he abandoning them to tackle relatively inconsequential issues such as football?
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by Beaf: 8:52pm On Aug 14, 2010
[size=14pt]From the mouth of his best friends wife (IBB killed him)[/size]
[flash=480,385]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHREK7gf6UU?fs=1&hl=en_GB[/flash]
[size=14pt]What does IBB stand for?[/size]
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by wiseson1: 9:05pm On Aug 14, 2010
@Beaf: Stop changing the subject. Okay I give it to you IBB is in no way fit to be the president of this country. OK? That is settled. Let's get back to the original issue GEJ. How does his actions on corruption, electoral reform, national rewakening, development, equity and justice, and national rebirth inspired confidence in his candidacy?

What may strike one is possibly his inaction on this issue. He is today in a historic position to do something about the malaise in this nation, and the manner in which he is using this opportunity does not inspire confidence that he is a strong or focused leader. If you can begin to cite actions that he has taken, to inspire this country to greatness, and set it on the right track, please let me know.

In my opinion, the candidacy of Goodluck Jonathan is subtle and clever fraud, which is being swallowed uncritically hook line and sinker. To be sincere, there may not be one clearly suitable candidate in the whole cast of potential candidates being touted. We may have to make have to settle for compromise candidates that we can live with, or drag entirely new names who have steered clear of the murky water of politics into the fray to have a truly fresh start (wishful thinking). Possibly Nigerians are not even interested in a fresh start at all.
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by Osama10(m): 11:43pm On Aug 14, 2010
[b]IBB is mad already[/b[color=#990000][/color].
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by sd6: 12:12am On Aug 15, 2010
he stands for indecision and lack of political will
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by Pukkah: 9:33am On Aug 15, 2010
kola_yusuf:

Jonathan has no record on which to lean in his desire to become our president in 2011. [b]His entire public service record reveals an incurable mediocrity:[/b] a nondescript deputy director at NDDC; a cowardly deputy governor in Bayelsa; a governor whose wife ended up stealing millions of dollars (according to Nuhu Ribadu’s EFCC); a scheming vice president and now a divisive and below-average president! Any student of Political Science 101 should conveniently predict that no candidate can go to the electorate with a record like Jonathan’s. That is why there are reports of secret meetings being held with foreign election bodies as part of a multi-track agenda. Nigeria is in a flux, almost like we were in 1998, and is therefore available for the taking by the most audacious political forces. Unfortunately, the opposition is incompetent and pathologically unable to rise to the heights of power. The danger we face as a country is that a clueless Jonathan Goodluck might then, by stealth, inherit power. It will be unending nightmare for the Nigeria people: 8 years of kleptocracy under Obasanjo; three years of sleepwalking under Yar’adua and years of driving in reverse gear, drunk and clueless, under Jonathan Goodluck. Nigeria’s fate is sealed!

This is not new but again, it is thought-provoking.
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by komando: 10:19am On Aug 15, 2010
ONLY IBO people have EVER been chief executives of NCC since inception in 1992:

@ kolayusuf
The anti-igbo attitude your ffiend has is what is killing Nigeria.
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by labiyemmy(m): 10:24am On Aug 15, 2010
kcjazz:

I quite agree with some of his assertions, what really has Jonathan achieved as a governor or vp? I was beginning to give him a chance but the[b] presidential jet issue [/b] clearly shows he is one of the boys. Problem is who is better? IBB is a no go, by the way his YouTube video is a joke lol. My anger is with the opposition, they are so useless.

What has the Presidential Jet issue made him? A wasteful spender or a thief or what? Come on, lets reason objectively.
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by chidichris(m): 10:38am On Aug 15, 2010
jonathan's personality and his readiness to move nigeria forward was shown in the last week's election in imo state.
in that election, 27 local govts participated and 300 words were also involved. the result of that election showed 27/27 and 300/300. what a wonderful way to introduce a one party system of govt?
to me, jonathan is and represents 3rd term agenda and is working to extend obj's grip on the leadership of nigeria.
unfortunately, i am from the eastern part of nigeria and i must say this. NIGERIA WAS EVEN BETTER UNDER THE SO-CALLED NORTHERNERS.
since 1999, all the eastern states have been going backward because the interest has been to be in pdp and remain loyal to the FG while the masses can go to hell.
the only eastern former gov that face charges was orji uzor kalu because he was not loyal to obj but now that he is in pdp and loyal to them, i know he will nolonger be a criminal.
what we have in jonathan is just an invisible hands of obj making sure the objectives of third term agenda is fulfilled to the last letter.
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by Gbawe: 1:25pm On Aug 15, 2010
Beaf:

[size=33pt]What does IBB stand for?[/size]

You see how you insensitively continue to exhibit your ethnically tainted obduracy? Jonathan is the one that needs to convince Nigerian's he is the right man for the Job!! Whatever is "in the budget" to do with the Presidency can be rejected by a decent President who strongly feels the need to send a powerful message of prudence and financial responsibility/accountabilty to an electorate that is fed up with extreme poverty while Nigerian politicians  grotesquely remain some of the best paid/ best pampered in the entire world.

Jonathan knows how insensitive this move will be  to Nigerians . Like OBJ , and because he is a "do-or-die" politician , he simply does not care since the funds needed to buy a Jonathan win in 2011 will not come out of thin air !!! Nigerians are now speaking about Jonathan's profligate leadership . Soon you won't be able to show your face on Nairaland as your boy (Jonathan) continues to  snatch defeat from the jaws of victory with how his actions , daily , show that he is another opportunist with no strong ideology/convictions for a better Nigeria.
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by labiyemmy(m): 5:01pm On Aug 15, 2010
Some people talk as if this man killed Yar Adua so he can become President?

But the point is, who cares if you dont like Jonathan? or if you like him? You have the right not to like him just as others have the right to like and want him to continue- but dont force your ugly opinions about him on us all.

Comparing a man who has only spent 100 days in office as a President with others who spent 8 years and more is nothing but prejudice against him and his person.
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by kcjazz(m): 5:22pm On Aug 15, 2010
@labiyemmy:

What has the Presidential Jet issue made him? A wasteful spender or a thief or what? Come on, lets reason objectively.
[/quote

Yes a wasteful spender? The jet is an unnecessary luxury. Is that going to improve our foreign relations? Yes we have had terrible leaders in the past, so if he is different he should change that trend. Heck even the UK and USA are closing schools for lack of funds. It's no joke that the NNPC is not in good times cool
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by onyengbu1(m): 5:32pm On Aug 15, 2010
chidichris:

jonathan's personality and his readiness to move nigeria forward was shown in the last week's election in imo state.
in that election, 27 local govts participated and 300 words were also involved. the result of that election showed 27/27 and 300/300. what a wonderful way to introduce a one party system of govt?
to me, jonathan is and represents 3rd term agenda and is working to extend obj's grip on the leadership of nigeria.
unfortunately, i am from the eastern part of nigeria and i must say this. NIGERIA WAS EVEN BETTER UNDER THE SO-CALLED NORTHERNERS.
since 1999, [b]all the eastern states have been going backward because the interest has been to be in pdp [/b]and remain loyal to the FG while the masses can go to hell.
the only eastern former gov that face charges was orji uzor kalu because he was not loyal to obj but now that he is in pdp and loyal to them, i know he will nolonger be a criminal.
what we have in jonathan is just an invisible hands of obj making sure the objectives of third term agenda is fulfilled to the last letter.
Your fixation to unnecessary issues makes you sound like a fool most times. From Mikel Obi's finances in sports section to linking Obj's with anything [b]anyone [/b]does wrong.

Please learn how to know what the issue is and stick to it. Leave Obj out of your imaginations. The man is no saint but im sure he doesnt give a sh1t about your rantings.

And for that statement about eastern states going backward, I can only say it is yet one of your outrageous claims on nairaland.

Grow up please.
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by Beaf: 5:57pm On Aug 15, 2010
@labiyemmy:

But the point is, who cares if you dont like Jonathan? or if you like him? You have the right not to like him just as others have the right to like and want him to continue- but dont force your ugly opinions about him on us all.

Thank you.
There is nothing wrong with criticising, but it should be kept reasonable and rational. Of course, Jonathan is human and must have faults like the rest of us, but are these anti-Jonathan critics stretching reason beyond breaking point? That is the question.

Most of these people are coming from positions that blind them to reason. For goodness sake, the man is just three months in, what rational mind can make the wild statements that some here are making, after just 3 months? It beats imagination!
Even the youngest men looking to get married, would not have a marriage with a girl for just 3 months and begin to make ill statements. Right thinking people would question his mind.

The positions of these guys change like the colour of a chameleon. They can change several times in the same week, when one of their desperate, anaemic and negative assertions is disproved, they immediately search for another even more anaemic one. Na wa!
First Jonathan was a weakling who would be a puppet to the powers that be, but when the quiet man began wielding his authority in a cool, calm, self-assured and positive way; their new excuse became "he is a vengeful, Do or Die politician". Pathetic.

Here is a man that has fought and neutered the Goliaths of this country in 3 short months; here is man that has snatched Nigeria back from our Mutallab and anti-UN pariah status in 3 short months and taken tremendous strides to reposition Nigeria as the most important African country; the g8 and g20 snubs to Nigeria are now a thing of the past, in fact, we are now the beautiful bride courted by all; here is a man that has hired the best in the Aganga's and Bart Nnaji's to pull the country out of the doldrums; here is a man that has changed our leadership style from the usual gra gra "I will lock up your family" style, to one that is cool, calm, assured and listening. The man who  deliberately blocked Jonathan’s motorcade wasn’t beaten to death , as would have happened in the past. No! He was quietly arrested and taken to court. Talk about rule of law!

Except people are bent on mischief, 3 months is far too short for the sort of statements some are making here. But Nigeria has traditionally been a country of cutthroat, rule by rumour and fiction politics. Thankfully, we have someone who, although like any human has his shortcomings, is so far, listening and acting on behalf of the people.

. . .But these dudes running unreal criticisms are just batteries running on low current, true World leaders have seen something that has made them drop in in droves; including, Bill Gates (founder of Microsoft), Kofi Annan, Condoleeza Rice, Prime Minister Tony Blair, President George Bush. . . The list will only get longer. grin grin grin

So far, under Jonathan, Nigeria is looking Up.
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by monkeyleg: 7:26pm On Aug 15, 2010
@beaf,

Listen, some of GJ gaffes go beyond mistake. How can you justify 74BN for voters registeration, 12BN for Independence day celebration, $150m for presidential jets, abi Jonathan is the only guy in town that does not understand there is serious global economic crisis, more importantly Nigerians are hungry.

And if I am being honest GJ hasnt got a clue, and all these name dropping doesnt mean a thing, these same guys came to see Obj while he was in office, did he not loot the treasury dry? Sentiment and emotions apart, GJ hasnt got what it takes to move Nigeria in the right direction. does not mean he cannot be the president of Nigeria, anyone can, after all we have a lot of agbero's and area boys in the senate and house of reps
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by Nobody: 7:39pm On Aug 15, 2010
onye_ngbu:

Your fixation to unnecessary issues makes you sound like a fool most times. From Mikel Obi's finances in sports section to linking Obj's with anything [b]anyone [/b]does wrong.

Please learn how to know what the issue is and stick to it. Leave Obj out of your imaginations. The man is no saint but im sure he doesnt give a sh1t about your rantings.

And for that statement about eastern states going backward, I can only say it is yet one of your outrageous claims on nairaland.

Grow up please.

I thought I was the only one who has gotten tired of Chidicris linking OBJ to everything. Very soon he will link OBJ to his goat getting some unwanted pregenancy.
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by Nobody: 7:42pm On Aug 15, 2010
A lil offtopic;

I've noticed that a lot of Nigerians seems to confuse "Lead" with "Rule". Why do Nigerians want a president that would rule [i.e possess all authority over a group of people]?  Goes to show that Nigeria is far from being a democratic country. Yes, "Rule" has to do with Government, Diplomacy and politics, but its often associated with exercising control and dominion without populous opinion. "Populous" opinion, which is what a democratic governance is based upon; WE THE PEOPLE.

When I think of a ruler, I think of a king. When I think of a Leader, I think a president, a courageous one who will guide a country to success.

Ok, back to the topic
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by Beaf: 7:51pm On Aug 15, 2010
monkeyleg:

@beaf,

Listen, some of GJ gaffes go beyond mistake. How can you justify 74BN for voters registeration, 12BN for Independence day celebration, $150m for presidential jets, abi Jonathan is the only guy in town that does not understand there is serious global economic crisis, more importantly Nigerians are hungry.

And if I am being honest GJ hasnt got a clue, and all these name dropping doesnt mean a thing, these same guys came to see Obj while he was in office, did he not loot the treasury dry? Sentiment and emotions apart, GJ hasnt got what it takes to move Nigeria in the right direction. does not mean he cannot be the president of Nigeria, anyone can, after all we have a lot of agbero's and area boys in the senate and house of reps

All I can say is Nigerians love to be treated like animals. Just 3 months ago, you guys were struggling, fighting and getting roasted in pipeline fires, all in the name of getting a few meagre drops of fuel in a country that has one of the Worlds biggest oil reserves.
Fuel scarcity is gone, is that not immediate success? And now that GEJ has barnished it is, those who gained from turning the average Nigerian into beasts are naturally unhappy. . . It is to be expected. embarassed
Or maybe its just that those complaining have no cars.

After more than 2000 containers of urgently needed electrical equipment were ordered into the country at a cost of trillions, only to be deliberately abandoned so that they could be auctioned by the cabal; there was little outcry from the vocal warriors here. Of course, the more than 2000 containers have been released from the ports with immediate effect by GEJ last week; yes, after 3 solid year of gathering cobwebs, while the country wallowed in darkness!
Now that GEJ has greatly improved electricty supply, those who gained from keeping the people in darkness are naturally unhappy. . . It is to be expected. embarassed
Or maybe its just that those complaining live in forests where there is no need for electricity.
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by Beaf: 7:58pm On Aug 15, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

A lil offtopic;

I've noticed that a lot of Nigerians seems to confuse "Lead" with "Rule". Why do Nigerians want a president that would rule [i.e possess all authority over a group of people]?  Goes to show that Nigeria is far from being a democratic country. Yes, "Rule" has to do with Government, Diplomacy and politics, but its often associated with exercising control and dominion without populous opinion. "Populous" opinion, which is what a democratic governance is based upon; WE THE PEOPLE.

When I think of a ruler, I think of a king. When I think of a Leader, I think a president, a courageous one who will guide a country to success.

Ok, back to the topic

No, Ileke, you ain't off topic. Your take is very brilliant.

Most people who aren't among the lot unhappy that their anti-Nigerian money spinners in the power and petroleum sectors have been snatched; are those who have only ever experienced military rule and its backward dictatorial methods. They really do not understand that a democracy is about the people, about community, consensus and the diplomatic ability to create and drive consensus.

It is a sad level of ignorance amongst a lot of Nigerians.
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by Gbawe: 9:18pm On Aug 15, 2010
@labiyemmy:

Comparing a man who has only spent 100 days in office as a President with others who spent 8 years and more is nothing but prejudice against him and his person.

Give it a rest. You live in London so I don't expect you to understant that , to suffering Nigerians , even 1 days is more than enough for loss of life and livelyhood due to profligate and clueless leadership. My man , I personally protested on the Streets of London for Jonathan to become President !!! Were you there?

Please try to understand that critics of Jonathan do not hate him personally. We just do not have time for Yar Adua part 2 . You cannot expect us to believe that a Pig will give birth to a Chicken . Similarly, looking at those Jonathan is associating with, you cannot expect Nigerians to believe that he is the man to move us forward . When we protested that the signs were bad with how Yar Adua was too comfortable with crooks like Ibori , supporters of our former President also stated that we should not "force your ugly opinions about him on us all". We then went on to have three whole years of backwardness under UMYA !!!! Now you want to say that obvious signs that Jonathan is Yar Adua part 2 should be ignored considering how badly the nation drifted under our immediate past President ?

The worst indictments against Jonathan are his insensitively profligate spending and the dubious company he keeps plus zero movement on the war against corruption .  Aondoakaa is even campaigning for Jonathan for christ sake after all he put Nigeria through only yesterday !!!! Jonathan 'settled' the Governors with 20 billion to gain their support in becoming acting President . Since then the trend of throwing money at everything has gotten worse.

Are some of you not ashamed that UMYA's signature was forged to approve a budget purely for the purpose of 'sorting' "awon boys" yet there is still no investigation into this by a Government  that has no strong conviction on anything?
Keep fooling yourself that some of us want to "force your ugly opinions about him on us all" rather than appreciate that some Nigerians do not feel Nigeria has anymore time to waste with accidental leaders who , concidentally , seem to enjoy the backing of our nation's biggest proven enemies and mercenary opportunists.
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by wiseson1: 9:30pm On Aug 15, 2010
What troubles me about Jonathan is very subtle and fundamental, blink and you might miss it. It is not so much what he has done, as what he has not done. Has he ever come out to state his stance on corruption? Has he ever come out to say that we can trust him never to be involved in any corrupt practice? Has he ever come out to say that he will defend the interests of the ordinary Nigerian against entrenched interests and self-seeking groups and individuals? Has he ever come out to say that he will always stay on the side of truth and justice no matter the cost?

What I am getting at is that almost no one knows what he believes in, what his moral principles are, how deep they run, the things that he will do and will not do. Nigerians are totally clueless about his values, his ideology. Many of us harbor the fear that the failure to circumscribe his moral boundary may suggest that he has none or it is very poorly defined.

When a man does not come out to declare his principles and moral boundaries clearly, he does not give you a yardstick for judging his actions, and evaluating his past. In short many of us are clueless about what he stands for.

How can I evaluate the actions of a man who has refused to give me a basis of doing so. We totally have no idea what he may do or may not do. Let us know his minimum standard of acceptable conduct as a politician, so that we can hold him up to it.
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by becomrich3: 9:33pm On Aug 15, 2010
[size=18pt]What you people dont know is a  plan by the PDP. THe PDP knows if they say IBB is running. Nobody would want to vote for IBB in the south and the North too. The name IBB makes a nigerian to fall down and die, even in kano. They are just using IBB to scare nigerian.  Even in the north , if they hear IBB, most of them would say NOway. So the PDP brought him in to remain in power , to distract people from Jonathan. since Jonathan cant win easily. They are all into it.  So they plan it to  give you two option

a  IBB ( they know even nigerian in the north would not pick this Option,)

b   Jonathan   
[/size]
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by Beaf: 9:38pm On Aug 15, 2010
wise son:

What troubles me about Jonathan is very subtle and fundamental, blink and you might miss it. It is not so much what he has done, as what he has not done. Has he ever come out to state his stance on corruption? Has he ever come out to say that we can trust him never to be involved in any corrupt practice? Has he ever come out to say that he will defend the interests of the ordinary Nigerian against entrenched interests and self-seeking groups and individuals? Has he ever come out to say that he will always stay on the side of truth and justice no matter the cost?

What I am getting at is that almost no one knows what he believes in, what his moral principles are, how deep they run, the things that he will do and will not do. Nigerians are totally clueless about his values, his ideology. Many of us harbor the fear that the failure to circumscribe his moral boundary may suggest that he has none or it is very poorly defined.

When a man does not come out to declare his principles and moral boundaries clearly, he does not give you a yardstick for judging his actions, and evaluating his past. [size=14pt]In short many of us are clueless[/size] about what he stands for.

How can I evaluate the actions of a man who has refused to give me a basis of doing so. We totally have no idea what he may do or may not do. Let us know his minimum standard of acceptable conduct as a politician, so that we can hold him up to it.

The bolded is the answer, though not in the context you chose.
You can find nothing against the man so its time to fiddle and reach for straws. If you want to know about Jonathan, simply get in touch with him. He is the most open President Nigeria has ever had. So get in touch and ask him directly, instead of whining in the dark.

I'm not going to answer any questions on how to get in touch with Jonathan. He has made that public enough, I too will get in touch with him when I need to; so can you.
Re: Beyond Emotions: What Does Goodluck Jonathan Stand For? by monkeyleg: 9:46pm On Aug 15, 2010
U see our is there is not credible opposition, that is just the problem we have. Nigeria is a 1 party state, no opposing parties challenging whats going on. This is were opposing leaders should be taking a good swipe.

Where is Donald Duke, Buhari, Atiku, etc. I expect the opposition to be cririsizing the government, when they get it wrong, but they are not, probably because they will do the same when they get it.

Buhari, should be questioning why the presidency sees it fit to spend $150m on presidential jets when Nigeria is in the middle of a major economic crisis, why they plan on spending in excess of 74BN on voters register, and 12BN on independence day party?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Don’t Kill People Over My Ambition – Jonathan ! / Youth Stone Ribadu's Convoy In Zamfara / The Bribe Femi Otedola Gave Me Has Been Stolen - Hon. Farouk Lawal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.