Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,268 members, 7,829,570 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:54 AM

Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG (35805 Views)

Ondo SUBEB To Pay N290,470 As Annual Salary To A Degree Holder On Grade Level 8 / Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education / Finally, No More Difference Between Bsc/hnd Graduates – FG Announces (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Papacypaul(m): 10:50pm On Feb 08, 2019
Valerie47:
I studied mass communication in polytechnic before I moved over to the university and I assure you that what it is you said is nothing but the truth, in poly, they use handout that is quite light, but in the university, their textbooks are rich and heavy, my dad is a lecturer in poly, he actually use my textbooks to teach them, told me that my textbooks are rich in content when compared to polytechnics textbook or handout or whatever it is they use.
hasty generalization, just name the Polytechnic you went.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Nobody: 10:54pm On Feb 08, 2019
Papacypaul:
hasty generalization, just name the Polytechnic you went.
The best polytechnic in Nigeria. I still made upper credit 3.01/4.00 . In the university, though not same course, I found it quite difficult to make a second class upper but I did sha, the stress in university is higher than poly.

1 Like

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Papacypaul(m): 10:59pm On Feb 08, 2019
TruthinAction:
I don't see anything wrong with the policy. It's even a great honour to start a polytechnic graduate at the same level with a university graduate.

First, the courses might be the same but the course content is not the same. For example, you can't say someone who read Mechanical Engineering in polytechnic has the same education as the one who read Mechanical engineering in the university. The polytechnic graduate is not subjected to the same academic rigors as the university graduates in most of the courses.

Second, the entrance qualifications are not the same. The jamb cut of is not the same. Most people go to polytechnics when they could not meet up with the university requirements. But at the end of the day, they want equal status. Placing them at the same start of point is even an injustice against the university graduates who went through more academic rigors to get their degrees.

Please let's call a spade a spade. Stop comparing polytechnic products with that of the university.
No Bro. If you are good , you are good. I know of distinction student from Polytechnics that went ahead to make first class in university also. When i was in poly ibadan, there was a Lady that made distinction in her HND and later first class at University of Ibadan.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Papacypaul(m): 11:09pm On Feb 08, 2019
Isobug:

Lies..... Your type can't even compare a polytechnic graduate. I have successfully tested both education(HND&BSc.) and see no difference between the two.

The only difference is individuals
let them know Bro

1 Like

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by TruthinAction: 1:51am On Feb 09, 2019
Papacypaul:
No Bro. If you are good , you are good. I know of distinction student from Polytechnics that went ahead to make first class in university also. When i was in poly ibadan, there was a Lady that made distinction in her HND and later first class at University of Ibadan.

I don't doubt what you said but situations like these are just a few exceptions. The majority of polytechnic graduates are relatively less intelligent than their university counterparts. However, there are a few exceptional candidates who are in the polytechnic or went through the polytechnic, not because they are not intelligent but probably don't have the patient to wait one more year for university admission.

1 Like

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Lhawboy(m): 1:53pm On Feb 09, 2019
Yabsun:
Well, I'm an HND holder. I've vowed my children won't make same mistake I made. I know what I went through while in school. I did better in every field I've found myself...did far better than BSc graduates. Does it even count? No! Nigeria only value the certificate. It's not a secret that HND graduate are always second best to BSCs.. My candid advice: get your DE form and upgrade your HND certificate if ur daily bread solely depends on ur certificate. HND is a time waster! Government aren't ready to abolish the dichotomy and I don't think they'll.

What if I convert HND to PGD?
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by acorntree(m): 2:01pm On Feb 09, 2019
Valerie47:
I studied mass communication in polytechnic before I moved over to the university and I assure you that what it is you said is nothing but the truth, in poly, they use handout that is quite light, but in the university, their textbooks are rich and heavy, my dad is a lecturer in poly, he actually use my textbooks to teach them, told me that my textbooks are rich in content when compared to polytechnics textbook or handout or whatever it is they use.

which one again is polytechnic textbook? For the fact that you were thought by some lazy lecturers whose aim is to dumped handout on you doesn't mean that all polytechnics are substandard. In some state universities, lecturers do sell handouts to students.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Nobody: 5:42pm On Feb 09, 2019
Isobug:

I laugh at you, Since you want to compare which University in Nigeria is better than The University of Akron,USA.
Be there and be shinning teeth. Small thing you would want to claim superiority and class.

If you must know, I attended a standard poly, Fed poly Idah and I also schooled abroad.thnks

If you schooled abroad and still see Fed Poly Idah as being standard, you've attended a mushroom foreign school. Maybe that's why you aren't giving its name.

1 Like

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Nobody: 5:45pm On Feb 09, 2019
united442:

u said the raw, naked and bitter truth..
ASUP has bn on strike for some time now,the FG,the society,the medias,no one cares!!

No one does, really. I vowed never to return for HND during Jonathan's regime when the polytechnics went on strike for 11 months. I hated school, the media and government of that period.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Nobody: 5:47pm On Feb 09, 2019
Sadiqali24:
that's why I'm having regrets of going to college of education but I'm done with it, but who school epp. I wonder why NCE holders will go to the university and spend three years plus the the three years the spend to get the NCE making it six, jeesh I tire for Nigerian Educational System.

It's 7 in the true sense of it because you'll have to wait a year for your transcript to be ready.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Nobody: 5:51pm On Feb 09, 2019
Jokerman:
So pipul laike us that go Sokoto state poly has no hope??

Why the ojoro?? I know engine work pass many university student for site.. University no even no how to remov bluck engine....

Stupid govment

I think that's why the government wants to keep you at a lower cadre so you can keep doing the engine work while those who don't know it instruct you. Isn't that wise and efficient?
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by oladiplenty4321: 5:54pm On Feb 09, 2019
malisah:
To be Honest the dichotomy can never be abolished.

I had HND with upper credit in minerals Engineering and got admitted into 300L(special admission) ABU Zaria Met/Mat Engineering. After my first year then I come to realize that to be an engineer no be moin moin. What I passed through made me to conclude that the discrimination is justifiable.
University settings is totally different from polytechnics in all ramifications. Forget the notion that university students only good in theory not in ABU. Here apart from Designs and Calculations they equally study the principles upon which a system works so that when situation changes they will know how to go about it (engineer).

If you have never been to the university, don't be quick to judge on this matter .
pls I need ur whatsapp number pls
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Nobody: 5:56pm On Feb 09, 2019
malisah:

I had HND with upper credit in minerals Engineering and got admitted into 300L(special admission) ABU Zaria Met/Mat Engineering. After my first year then I come to realize that to be an engineer no be moin moin. What I passed through made me to conclude that the discrimination is justifiable.
University settings is totally different from polytechnics in all ramifications. Forget the notion that university students only good in theory not in ABU. Here apart from Designs and Calculations they equally study the principles upon which a system works so that when situation changes they will know how to go about it (engineer).

If you have never been to the university, don't be quick to judge on this matter .

Similar to my story but I only obtained ND. Many a times, I can't tell my colleagues in the polytechnic these things but deep within, I know how huge the difference is.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Nobody: 6:02pm On Feb 09, 2019
DonroxyII:
God will bless you. It's only people like us who ve experienced both that know what hit us ....

The environment differs, curriculum differs, quality of class differs, lecturer differs .... Everything is different .....

A professor of Engineering should be compared to who at the Polytechnic .... An ace student of such professor should be compared to who at the polytechnic

This got me laughing really hard. I finished with a distinction from a polytechnic and started with a second class lower division, a very low one at that, in the University. The change was beyond my control at first. I couldn't believe what was happening. I was hit where it hurt most. Only God's grace sustained me. The polytechnic education is a huge scam, a very huge one. My guys who also when to Ife were dealt a great blow. We all agreed that the difference is clear.

1 Like

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Nobody: 6:06pm On Feb 09, 2019
Isobug:

Lies..... Your type can't even compare a polytechnic graduate. I have successfully tested both education(HND&BSc.) and see no difference between the two.

The only difference is individuals

Mushroom university?
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Nobody: 6:10pm On Feb 09, 2019
OlujobaSamuel:

The dude isn't lying. I graduated from Ilaro. In 2011, the UTME score for accounting, bus admin and Banking was 250, yet thousands scored far above that and never got admission.

Thank o my guy. Some don't know and don't just want to know.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Sadiqali24(m): 6:20pm On Feb 09, 2019
BananaTree:

It's 7 in the true sense of it because you'll have to wait a year for your transcript to be ready.
that's true my brother,are u also an NCE holder? Nigeria should just scrap COE or provide a one year course that u will go to service after NCE.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Nobody: 6:21pm On Feb 09, 2019
babaireti:
Poly lecturers would'nt do a thing because they are all university graduates or have you ever seen a poly graduate teaching in poly before?

Many of them are.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Nobody: 6:33pm On Feb 09, 2019
Sadiqali24:
that's true my brother,are u also an NCE holder? Nigeria should just scrap COE or provide a one year course that u will go to service after NCE.

No. I did direct entry using my poly cert. I realised you can't cross without wasting one year. COE is the most marginalized.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Sadiqali24(m): 6:40pm On Feb 09, 2019
BananaTree:

No. I did direct entry using my poly cert. I realised you can't cross without wasting one year. COE is the most marginalized.
of a truth I hate Nigerian system of education, they should just scrap COE, haba how can u do 3 years in COE and do another 3 years again in the uni.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Isobug: 7:51pm On Feb 09, 2019
BananaTree:

If you schooled abroad and still see Fed Poly Idah as being standard, you've attended a mushroom foreign school. Maybe that's why you aren't giving its name.
You lack comprehension skill. Ordinary to read, you can't. You have eyes problem,perhaps. University of Akron is one of the best universities in the US and unarguably the best in Ohio State
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by oladiplenty4321: 8:14pm On Feb 09, 2019
malisah:

I need ur whatsapp number,my number is 08167405536
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Papacypaul(m): 8:20pm On Feb 09, 2019
oladiplenty4321:
I need ur whatsapp number,my number is 08167405536
i don't know why you ask for his whatsapp, but if its because of Special admission, it is for hnd holders from 19 northern states and it's for some selected courses with upper credit , i can see you are yoruba as i am from ur moniker . I am studying civil engineering via special admission too.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Nobody: 8:26pm On Feb 09, 2019
Isobug:

You lack comprehension skill. Ordinary to read, you can't. You have eyes problem,perhaps. University of Akron is one of the best universities in the US and unarguably the best in Ohio State

Don't be arrogantly stupid. You never wrote you attended that university in the the first paragraph of your comment I quoted. If you actually did, you won't regard a mushroom school as a standard institution and also be this uncouth while making your points.

BTW, you don't have to indent you comments to make sense. Ironically, when you do, reverse is always the case.

2 Likes

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Nobody: 8:28pm On Feb 09, 2019
Papacypaul:
i don't know why you ask for his whatsapp, but if its because of Special admission, it is for hnd holders from 19 northern states and it's for some selected courses with upper credit , i can see you are yoruba as i am from ur moniker . I am studying civil engineering via special admission too.
Is special admission you're referring to not direct entry?
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Papacypaul(m): 8:42pm On Feb 09, 2019
BananaTree:

Is special admission you're referring to not direct entry?
Not DE, special admission form is from the school and only insider that will see when release to that effect is pasted or smart fellow can decode from their websyt when the form is out, the form is 2500.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Isobug: 11:37pm On Feb 09, 2019
BananaTree:

Don't be arrogantly stupid. You never wrote you attended that university in the the first paragraph of your comment I quoted. If you actually did, you won't regard a mushroom school as a standard institution and also be this uncouth while making your points.

BTW, you don't have to indent you comments to make sense. Ironically, when you do, reverse is always the case.
Bros go please. No issue with you
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by SoftBread01: 11:47am On Feb 10, 2019
Can someone just advise me on what to do now, please?

I had 2.76 (Lower credit) in my OND and I'm expected to go back for HND anytime soon.

But then, I'm already having a rethink considering the dichotomy and all that.

I'm already in my mid 20s and is it worth starting afresh, since I can't get to find a school in the South or East that accepts lower credit for DE? Will I be mobilised for service after all?
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by oladiplenty4321: 12:07pm On Feb 10, 2019
SoftBread01:
Can someone just advise me on what to do now, please?

I had 2.76 (Lower credit) in my OND and I'm expected to go back for HND anytime soon.

But then, I'm already having a rethink considering the dichotomy and all that.

I'm already in my mid 20s and is it worth starting afresh, since I can't get to find a school in the South or East that accepts lower credit for DE? Will I be mobilised for service after all?
my brother,d only advice I can give u is to go do HND,after ur HND ,u can go and do top up(conversion of HND to bsc),d top up program is weekend program, u can be working during the period of ur top up,top up program is 2 years program, #FUOYE,ali hikimoh,kwasu are doing the program

if u say u want to go and start afresh from 100 level

1:there is no 100% assurance DAT u will be offered admission
2:u said u are in mid 20s, let say it age is 24 or 25,by next year u will be 25 or26 (let add 4 years to ur age,it will be 29 or 30)

but if u are doing engineering DAT will be 30 or 31(your age at time of ur graduation)

without considering strike,if we add assu strike or any strike to it DAT will be ...( do d calculation urself too)

wish u best of luck sir
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by SoftBread01: 12:26pm On Feb 10, 2019
oladiplenty4321:
my brother,d only advice I can give u is to go do HND,after ur HND ,u can go and do top up(conversion of HND to bsc),d top up program is weekend program, u can be working during the period of ur top up,top up program is 2 years program, #FUOYE,ali hikimoh,kwasu are doing the program

if u say u want to go and start afresh from 100 level

1:there is no 100% assurance DAT u will be offered admission
2:u said u are in mid 20s, let say it age is 24 or 25,by next year u will be 25 or26 (let add 4 years to ur age,it will be 29 or 30)

but if u are doing engineering DAT will be 30 or 31(your age at time of ur graduation)

without considering strike,if we add assu strike or any strike to it DAT will be ...( do d calculation urself too)

wish u best of luck sir

Thanks for your prompt response.

I'm a female please. I'll be 26 this year and it's an Engineering course.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by oladiplenty4321: 12:35pm On Feb 10, 2019
SoftBread01:

Thanks for your prompt response.

I'm female please. I'll be 26 this year and it's an Engineering course.
u are welcome,my sister

go for HND, Almighty God will be with all of us
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by SoftBread01: 12:56pm On Feb 10, 2019
oladiplenty4321:
u are welcome,my sister

go for HND, Almighty God will be with all of us

Thanks for your suggestion, bro.

I've been really depressed with the way things are. I started this journey since 2014 and here I am, still struggling to put everything in place.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Abati Emmanuel Tosanwumi Graduates With 2 Degrees From Canada University / OAU Loses Accreditation For Law, Dentistry, Botany And Medical Rehabilitation / Misspelt Name On WAEC Result - Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.