Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,462 members, 7,830,295 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:19 PM

Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG (35811 Views)

Ondo SUBEB To Pay N290,470 As Annual Salary To A Degree Holder On Grade Level 8 / Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education / Finally, No More Difference Between Bsc/hnd Graduates – FG Announces (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by moshould(m): 11:39am On Feb 08, 2019
Then, they should scrap polytechnic and make sure the useless universities Are in good shape and it's enough to occupy the millions of students awaiting to enrol, useless country, always looking for something to segregate people. All the professors in our useless country, how many problems have they solved with their PhD I nfact they need to scrap Nigeria as a country, share the people into the countries they wish to belong.

1 Like

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by kehinde1588(m): 11:42am On Feb 08, 2019
BananaTree:

I disagree that organization is our universities are better than what is obtainable in the some polytechnics. I've been everywhere, most state universities are unorganised, choked up and have dilapidated structures with substandard equipments. The only reason why they are being patronized is the dichotomy. Some federal universities like UI, UNILAG and OAU however stand tall amongst the rest as regards infrastructure.
State universities in Nigeria are more like private universities, in fact private universities are better than most of the state universities. The universities I am referring to in my statement are federal universities like UNILORIN, UNIBEN, NSUKA and other universities you mentioned.

The only joy of attending a federal university is simply because the bigger opportunity it has more than a polytechnic in respect to job opportunities and workplace
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by united442(m): 11:49am On Feb 08, 2019
malisah:
To be Honest the dichotomy can never be abolished.

I had HND with upper credit in minerals Engineering and got admitted into 300L(special admission) ABU Zaria Met/Mat Engineering. After my first year then I come to realize that to be an engineer no be moin moin. What I passed through made me to conclude that the discrimination is justifiable.
University settings is totally different from polytechnics in all ramifications. Forget the notion that university students only good in theory not in ABU. Here apart from Designs and Calculations they equally study the principles upon which a system works so that when situation changes they will know how to go about it (engineer).

If you have never been to the university, don't be quick to judge on this matter .

wow....i love this comment...
atleast u have tested both qualifications and see how they operate..
am an HND undergraduate anyway and thinking of DE..
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Young042galaxy: 11:55am On Feb 08, 2019
OlujobaSamuel:

The dude isn't lying. I graduated from Ilaro. In 2011, the UTME score for accounting, bus admin and Banking was 250, yet thousands scored far above that and never got admission.
And 250 will get you admission to study in any state university n some Northern universities on merit. Why should I go and waste 5yrs instead of 4yrs in university in poly if I have requirements to be admitted in university?
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by kaycexx(m): 11:58am On Feb 08, 2019
anibabes007:
Both poly and uni are far below other part of the world standard.

Meanwhile
Very affordable wears

I like how do I get one?
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Young042galaxy: 11:59am On Feb 08, 2019
kehinde1588:

State universities in Nigeria are more like private universities, in fact private universities are better than most of the state universities. The universities I am referring to in my statement are federal universities like UNILORIN, UNIBEN, NSUKA and other universities you mentioned.

The only joy of attending a federal university is simply because the bigger opportunity it has more than a polytechnic in respect to job opportunities and workplace
Some state universities still rank better than some federal university and boast of good infrastructures too.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by kehinde1588(m): 12:25pm On Feb 08, 2019
Young042galaxy:

Some state universities still rank better than some federal university and boast of good infrastructures too.
You are absolutely right.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by BalogunIdowu(m): 12:52pm On Feb 08, 2019
It really doesn't make sense I must confess...
There should be no reason after completing HND and still expect an individual to go for BSc, s/he better to into MSc or so

Let us value the essence of why this institutions were created!
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by ozo13(m): 12:56pm On Feb 08, 2019
calddon:
Am sure the writer of the article is a BsC holder. Our waisted grin education sector
lol
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by asunmoGGMU(m): 1:09pm On Feb 08, 2019
Even if we are to toe the line of year of study. Technically, to bag your HND is just two years. I am surprised people are comparing "4 years" to "2 years". The two years HND holders spent to have their OND is just a prerequisite for having their HND, people should stop muddling things together. It is just like 0'level results are prerequisite to Bachelor degree.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Doktajay5: 1:19pm On Feb 08, 2019
ProsperChild:
Polytechnic education in Nigeria is just sheer waste of time n years.After acquiring certification ,for a period of 5 YEARS while some of your counterparts in the university acquires theirs just 4YEARS,isn't it clear enough that polytechnic system of education shouldnt be an afterthought. Hardly,you get job with the certificate,Hardly you ,work or discharge your duties in civil service without fear or favour,u are restless,u know,because a career bar is place against u.........It is a sorry case! Imagine equal salary at the beginning then varied termination points!
mind u,these catogory of persons are growing in service n career development with experience too.
I suggest, a legal action should be instituted to put an end to this injustice.let it be challenged in a court of competent jurisdiction.Poly lecturers should consider this ,as a last option to address this dichotomy.
Alternatively,If for one valid reason ,that dichotomy should exist,then lets the duration of study be revert by FG to that of NCE 3years programme to properly satisfy exchange of the contents of scheme service to justify the dicothomy....
Source : Anonymous
https://www.tribuneonlineng.com/189203/

so what exactly is wrong in saying that they should add extra certification/training if they wish to go higher than grade level 14. does it not occur to you that B.Sc and HND are product of different curricular?...there things we shouldn't waste our time chasing. i was even worried when i saw the caption, until i read the content.. is fare enough if u ask me.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by kandydude1(m): 1:20pm On Feb 08, 2019
All dis poly graduates should calm down na. Wen d university u applied for rejected u, why didn't u try again or if possible try another Uni, instead u hurriedly entered poly, u wan b undergraduate by fire by force. very soon dem go begin fight may poly begin study medicine, law, Economics and even pharmacy. Muna rest abeg, nr add to d problems wey we get for dis country.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by nwosueugeneken: 1:26pm On Feb 08, 2019
HND holders in the house be courageous and pray to God to take you to where ur service is needed, in my house a HND holder is taking the lead with good job

The dichotomy is one of the reasons our public sector is a total mirage.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by babaireti(m): 1:49pm On Feb 08, 2019
Poly lecturers would'nt do a thing because they are all university graduates or have you ever seen a poly graduate teaching in poly before?
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by mechanics(m): 1:53pm On Feb 08, 2019
But it will surprise you to know that some polytechnic lecturers collect more salaries than professors.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by akinwun(m): 1:59pm On Feb 08, 2019
To build your mobile app in android and iOS, WhatsApp 07030790078.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by TruthinAction: 2:01pm On Feb 08, 2019
I don't see anything wrong with the policy. It's even a great honour to start a polytechnic graduate at the same level with a university graduate.

First, the courses might be the same but the course content is not the same. For example, you can't say someone who read Mechanical Engineering in polytechnic has the same education as the one who read Mechanical engineering in the university. The polytechnic graduate is not subjected to the same academic rigors as the university graduates in most of the courses.

Second, the entrance qualifications are not the same. The jamb cut of is not the same. Most people go to polytechnics when they could not meet up with the university requirements. But at the end of the day, they want equal status. Placing them at the same start of point is even an injustice against the university graduates who went through more academic rigors to get their degrees.

Please let's call a spade a spade. Stop comparing polytechnic products with that of the university.

1 Like

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Olumeme: 2:04pm On Feb 08, 2019
There's no dichotomy, people are just trying to create confusion.
HND and BSc are not the same, BSc is higher in anywhere.
If you want to get to where BSc will get to, get one. It's very simple.

Some people have told us how polytechnic students are good with practicals, I Told them, no Matter how good and brilliant a nurse is, they cannot be equal to a doctor, it's clear.

BSc was made to be boss over HND, just the way IJMB cannot be at par with OND.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by isaacsegun(m): 2:20pm On Feb 08, 2019
Isobug:

Lies..... Your type can't even compare a polytechnic graduate. I have successfully tested both education(HND&BSc.) and see no difference between the two.

The only difference is individuals
lolz....the question I will ask you is, which university did finished from? I attended both poly and uni so I'm in a better position to tell you that university education is well organized in terms of standard than poly.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Nobody: 2:44pm On Feb 08, 2019
kehinde1588:

You're correct.

But I don't think there are any bigger opportunities anywhere in present day Nigeria for those who have attended prestigious federal universities. The dichotomy is such that even if you attend a mushroom university, you'll still have the edge over a poly graduate. This is ingrained in our belief about them already.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by slimtoney(m): 2:52pm On Feb 08, 2019
It is really laughable and disheartening how we move a step forward and two steps backward. The entry level that was harmonized recently between the two holders of these certificates has already been compromised and messed up.

In the ministry of of interior right now, a contradicting policy has been implemented which says that having entered the Service at the same level (even though the nomenclature clearly shows that the dichotomy is still there as the cadre reads officers for BSC and INSPECTORATE for holders of HND), few months down the line, Confirmation and Promotion exams is written by both cadres. While this same Exams is used to move the Holders of BSC to the next grade level, their fellow holders of HND are subjected to write another promotion Exams a year later. This has automatically send holders of BSC a step ahead.

So where is the policy of same entry level?

This is the injustice and less than human treatment holders of this certificate are subjected to.

Why setting barriers against the progress of a group of people, why not subject both to test and advance people base on merit. Why the need to unjustly make intellectuals subservient to others on the bases of certificates they acquire and not on their ability to perform on the job.

With these undeserved special treatment, I have seen people going out of their way to present fake BSC Certificates.

For those who already have issues with self worth, when they are subjected to this kind of maltreatment, they lost it completely and become less of a human in the presence of others.

If this must be stopped, all hands have to be on deck. ASUP has to be assertive and the legislative arm has to see the harm this has done and is still doing to the educational system of this nation.

1 Like

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by acorntree(m): 3:11pm On Feb 08, 2019
slimtoney:
It is really laughable and disheartening how we move a step forward and two steps backward. The entry level that was harmonized recently between the two holders of these certificates has already been compromised and messed up.

In the ministry of of interior right now, a contradicting policy has been implemented which says that having entered the Service at the same level (even though the nomenclature clearly shows that the dichotomy is still there as the cadre reads officers for BSC and INSPECTORATE for holders of HND), few months down the line, Confirmation and Promotion exams is written by both cadres. While this same Exams is used to move the Holders of BSC to the next grade level, their fellow holders of HND are subjected to write another promotion Exams a year later. This has automatically send holders of BSC a step ahead.

So where is the policy of same entry level?

This is the injustice and less than human treatment holders of this certificate are subjected to.

Why setting barriers against the progress of a group of people, why not subject both to test and advance people base on merit. Why the need to unjustly make intellectuals subservient to others on the bases of certificates they acquire and not on their ability to perform on the job.

With these undeserved special treatment, I have seen people going out of their way to present fake BSC Certificates.

For those who already have issues with self worth, when they are subjected to this kind of maltreatment, they lost it completely and become less of a human in the presence of others.

If this must be stopped, all hands have to be on deck. ASUP has to be assertive and the legislative arm has to see the harm this has done and is still doing to the educational system of this nation.

Even ASUP is also being discrimated against . ASUP has been on strike over a month now, did you hear any information about them like ASUU. Polytechnic is seen as second fiddle. The only solution is for the government to upgrade them to degree awarding institution. polytechnic education relevancy has actually becoming relegated. I pity those brilliant students who found themselves doing HND. Bsc in Nigeria is highly overated. Even those with Bsc from muchroom universities still believe they are superior to HND holders as can be seen here. All what you hear is we design, we conceive ideas, we are intellectually sound, we are these, we are that but what's their contribution to development in their field , just boastful, proud. They can't compete internationally with their Bsc but only to remain as local champion .

4 Likes

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by jesmond3945: 3:33pm On Feb 08, 2019
OlujobaSamuel:
My children no fit do any foolish HND, if he wan go poly, na only ND tinz, I've been seeking for where to do my MSc and I can't find one, had to enroll for BSc.
Dear Unborn child that might be foolish enough like me to consider HND, I won't only disfather you, I go remove your foolish head from your neck, I no fit let you live this kind frustrating life.
Thanks.
From your once foolish but having a head reset future Dad
you have to do a pgd before msc. My man with hnd, pgd and msc is planning to do his phd in uk on scholarship. So get information.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by chukky4332: 3:39pm On Feb 08, 2019
What is the relevant certificate to rise to level 17. Is it a pgd or BSc
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Isobug: 3:43pm On Feb 08, 2019
isaacsegun:

lolz....the question I will ask you is, which university did finished from? I attended both poly and uni so I'm in a better position to tell you that university education is well organized in terms of standard than poly.
I laugh at you, Since you want to compare which University in Nigeria is better than The University of Akron,USA.
Be there and be shinning teeth. Small thing you would want to claim superiority and class.

If you must know, I attended a standard poly, Fed poly Idah and I also schooled abroad.thnks
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by anibabes007(m): 3:54pm On Feb 08, 2019
kaycexx:

I like how do I get one?
Very easy pls call the numbers let's talk bussiness
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by united442(m): 4:35pm On Feb 08, 2019
acorntree:

Even ASUP is also being discrimated against . ASUP has been on strike over a month now, did you hear any information about them like ASUU. Polytechnic is seen as second fiddle. The only solution is for the government to upgrade them to degree awarding institution. polytechnic education relevancy has actually becoming relegated. I pity those brilliant students who found themselves doing HND. Bsc in Nigeria is highly overated. Even those with Bsc from muchroom universities still believe they are superior to HND as can be seen here. All what you hear is we design, we conceive ideas, we are intellectually sound, we are these, we are that but what's their contribution to development of their field , just boastful, proud. They can't compete internationally with their Bsc but only to remain as local champion .

u said the raw, naked and bitter truth..
ASUP has bn on strike for some time now,the FG,the society,the medias,no one cares!!
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by armadeo(m): 7:32pm On Feb 08, 2019
Bigday001:
Get sure Bookings from a reliable source and make winning a habit.

Of the 2 million nairaland accounts this guy has over 1 million.

1 Like

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Sadiqali24(m): 8:26pm On Feb 08, 2019
that's why I'm having regrets of going to college of education but I'm done with it, but who school epp. I wonder why NCE holders will go to the university and spend three years plus the the three years the spend to get the NCE making it six, jeesh I tire for Nigerian Educational System.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Tlyon(m): 8:45pm On Feb 08, 2019
BananaTree:

I think the minimum requirement is O'Level. Blame your constitution and not Buhari for not pegging the requirement at PhD.
Read to understand my words pls I never mentioned Mr Buhari been the reason, but I did only fault the system which is in use.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Nobody: 10:39pm On Feb 08, 2019
DonroxyII:
I spent one year in polytechnic and I already have my Bsc and M.sc , the quality of education in polytechnic can never be compared to that of a university ...
How can u compare someone taught by PhD holders and professors with someone taught by a Mr who get job via man know man and restrict the entire class to 40pages copied handout .... if you buy handout you already passed the CA test of 30marks and leniency in examination with respect to marking!

I have one IT student right now undergoing HND , I begged this guy to opt for University, he categorically told me he can't cope with university but He understand Polytechnic better .... He is in HND II, if you see his handouts, you must fear ... some copied 30/50 pages and he will restrict all his reading to the handout then gbam .... he is already equivalent to a B.sc holder !!

Poly and Uni do not offer same degree, entry requirement differ, industrial requirements differs but Nigeria has a way of borrowing a very good concept and Nigerianised it into Jagajaga !!

A technician must not be arguing with a conceiver ..... Your job is to build my thought !!! I am the brain , you are the Muscle .... we all need one another to function as a whole ....

Polytechnic, College of Education, University and Education generally have been destroyed !!
I studied mass communication in polytechnic before I moved over to the university and I assure you that what it is you said is nothing but the truth, in poly, they use handout that is quite light, but in the university, their textbooks are rich and heavy, my dad is a lecturer in poly, he actually use my textbooks to teach them, told me that my textbooks are rich in content when compared to polytechnics textbook or handout or whatever it is they use.

2 Likes

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Papacypaul(m): 10:41pm On Feb 08, 2019
malisah:
To be Honest the dichotomy can never be abolished.

I had HND with upper credit in minerals Engineering and got admitted into 300L(special admission) ABU Zaria Met/Mat Engineering. After my first year then I come to realize that to be an engineer no be moin moin. What I passed through made me to conclude that the discrimination is justifiable.
University settings is totally different from polytechnics in all ramifications. Forget the notion that university students only good in theory not in ABU. Here apart from Designs and Calculations they equally study the principles upon which a system works so that when situation changes they will know how to go about it (engineer).

If you have never been to the university, don't be quick to judge on this matter .
different people with different experience though , currently in 400lvl civil engineering via special admission too, but save mathematics, the Polytechnic i graduated from drill me more than ABU. I graduated with 4.12 at poly ibadan, and in zaria even though i started first semester of 2018/2019 session in 8th week i made 4.09 coupled with the fact that I missed some test. Also there are dumb student every where, either poly or university. It depends on individual and the Polytechnic you went , one of my special admission mate has 2.20 has cgpa too

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

OAU Loses Accreditation For Law, Dentistry, Botany And Medical Rehabilitation / Nkechi Chidi-Ogbolu Bags PHD Scholarship At University Of California At Age 18 / Uniosun Ipetu-ijesa Campus In Turmoil Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.