Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,407 members, 7,830,042 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:25 PM

Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG (35808 Views)

Ondo SUBEB To Pay N290,470 As Annual Salary To A Degree Holder On Grade Level 8 / Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education / Finally, No More Difference Between Bsc/hnd Graduates – FG Announces (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Nobody: 9:33am On Feb 08, 2019
Skoopy:
And your president doesn't have SSCE �

Meanwhile polytechnic graduates spent 5yrs too, one year for industrial training without which you cannot proceed for HND.

University graduates IT period of about 6months is part of their 5yr academic calendar, so why are they not counting the 1year polytechnic graduates IT period as part of their academic calendar.

We all know that one year is really inconsequential and never taken seriously. Just get a letter from anywhere and you're back for HND. No one grades IT and no one cares if you actually did it.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by TONYE001(m): 9:35am On Feb 08, 2019
BananaTree:

The case would be lost even before it's heard in court. The act on which polytechnics were established to produce middle level skilled individuals has given them out. Until the act is reviewed and curriculum upgraded, there's no court that can give verdict in favour of the polytechnics. I'm sure the poly community would also claim superior to colleges of education based on this, even when they have absolutely nothing in common.

True, I agree. Obviously, the best way to start is to work on the foundations of the polytechnics.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Jokerman(m): 9:37am On Feb 08, 2019
So pipul laike us that go Sokoto state poly has no hope??

Why the ojoro?? I know engine work pass many university student for site.. University no even no how to remov bluck engine....

Stupid govment

2 Likes

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Nobody: 9:39am On Feb 08, 2019
Tlyon:
Nawa for Nigeria and it's implemented policy, I still believe Hnd graduate do most of the work but still get the least accolades or non, remember the ruling president we ain't even sure has a O'level certificate.

I think the minimum requirement is O'Level. Blame your constitution and not Buhari for not pegging the requirement at PhD.

2 Likes

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Cmeo(m): 9:47am On Feb 08, 2019
I am proud holder of HND. I don't care about dichoto whatever, and I am on the path of employing the best graduate Nigeria has produced.

3 Likes

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by dododawa1: 9:49am On Feb 08, 2019
Who certificate HELP
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by DonroxyII: 9:49am On Feb 08, 2019
adecz:
angry angry

HND is never equivalent to University degree.

Letting them enter at level O8 is an injustice
to university graduates.

Most HND holders can barely speak correct
English & they have lower entry requirements.

I spent one year in polytechnic and I already have my Bsc and M.sc , the quality of education in polytechnic can never be compared to that of a university ...
How can u compare someone taught by PhD holders and professors with someone taught by a Mr who get job via man know man and restrict the entire class to 40pages copied handout .... if you buy handout you already passed the CA test of 30marks and leniency in examination with respect to marking!

I have one IT student right now undergoing HND , I begged this guy to opt for University, he categorically told me he can't cope with university but He understand Polytechnic better .... He is in HND II, if you see his handouts, you must fear ... some copied 30/50 pages and he will restrict all his reading to the handout then gbam .... he is already equivalent to a B.sc holder !!

Poly and Uni do not offer same degree, entry requirement differ, industrial requirements differs but Nigeria has a way of borrowing a very good concept and Nigerianised it into Jagajaga !!

A technician must not be arguing with a conceiver ..... Your job is to build my thought !!! I am the brain , you are the Muscle .... we all need one another to function as a whole ....

Polytechnic, College of Education, University and Education generally have been destroyed !!

14 Likes

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Nobody: 9:49am On Feb 08, 2019
Akanapiaigwe:
grin

Why not struggle and employ Bsc graduates instead cheesy
Are you better off to polytechnic students?
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by PatrickOkunima(m): 9:55am On Feb 08, 2019
OlujobaSamuel:

Except in a school outside Nigeria, you can't use PGD for PhD in Nigeria, the highest is MSc if you have PGD.
Btw, thanks, will round up my BSc this year.

That's not correct. It doesn't matter if you got your M.Sc. after B.Sc. or HND through PDG, the important criteria you need to meet to qualify for PhD admission is an M.Sc. with a weighted average of at least 60%. Do your findings before drawing conclusions.

4 Likes

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by malisah(m): 10:04am On Feb 08, 2019
To be Honest the dichotomy can never be abolished.

I had HND with upper credit in minerals Engineering and got admitted into 300L(special admission) ABU Zaria Met/Mat Engineering. After my first year then I come to realize that to be an engineer no be moin moin. What I passed through made me to conclude that the discrimination is justifiable.
University settings is totally different from polytechnics in all ramifications. Forget the notion that university students only good in theory not in ABU. Here apart from Designs and Calculations they equally study the principles upon which a system works so that when situation changes they will know how to go about it (engineer).

If you have never been to the university, don't be quick to judge on this matter .

5 Likes

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Young042galaxy: 10:04am On Feb 08, 2019
BananaTree:

Some polytechnics only take first choice candidates. Examples are YABATECH, ILARO POLY and others.
Bros u can lie Eh.
First choice is only left for universities. No one will leave trying university first to polytechnic except the person no reach uni cut off mark. NOTE that all polytechnic certificates are regarded as same.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Young042galaxy: 10:10am On Feb 08, 2019
BlueRayDick:
My question is why should anybody enter civil service on grade 8 with HND and be lazy enough not to add any other qualification to his HND till he retires on level 14?

Any reasonable person who is lucky enough to enter the civil service with HND degree should make it top priority to at least enroll in National Open University and get at least a degree there.

Even Obasanjo got a PHD there without overkilling himself
No mind HND holders. Government have done great for them to enter in dsame level with BSc and they are still complaining. Me wey de do BNSC Nursing have started looking for a better country abroad i go do my MSc so as to stand a better chance n earn more money and some HND holders wan stick with only that till them die.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by DonroxyII: 10:13am On Feb 08, 2019
malisah:
To be Honest the dichotomy can never be abolished.

I had HND with upper credit in minerals Engineering and got admitted into 300L(special admission) ABU Zaria Met/Mat Engineering. After my first year then I come to realize that to be an engineer no be moin moin. What I passed through made me to conclude that the discrimination is justifiable.
University settings is totally different from polytechnics in all ramifications. Forget the notion that university students only good in theory not in ABU. Here apart from Designs and Calculations they equally study the principles upon which a system works so that when situation changes they will know how to go about it (engineer).

If you have never been to the university, don't be quick to judge on this matter .
God will bless you. It's only people like us who ve experienced both that know what hit us ....

The environment differs, curriculum differs, quality of class differs, lecturer differs .... Everything is different .....

A professor of Engineering should be compared to who at the Polytechnic .... An ace student of such professor should be compared to who at the polytechnic

3 Likes

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Bluffly: 10:16am On Feb 08, 2019
HND holders should stop fighting a stupid fight. Instead to fight for reduction of number of years it takes to acquire HND, they are busy fighting for equivalency. HND which is basically for vocational studies is not equivalent to BSc anywhere in the world. It is only unfortunate, they students of Nigeria's polythecnics have been caught in the mist of Idiotic Leaders which includes, our politicians, and the Poly lecturers, who came up with study designs based on income generation other than meeting its core mandate.

HND is equal to 2 years of studies anywhere in the world.
You all should fight the right fight. And serving NYSC is not a right for equivalency, it's just for you to serve your father's land.

There is a big gap between both.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Tonygeesm(m): 10:17am On Feb 08, 2019
Meanwhile... Our president wit no cert is occupying the highest position in d country
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Nobody: 10:21am On Feb 08, 2019
Young042galaxy:

Bros u can lie Eh.
First choice is only left for universities. No one will leave trying university first to polytechnic except the person no reach uni cut off mark. NOTE that all polytechnic certificates are regarded as same.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/candidates-can-choose-colleges-academies-as-first-choice-jamb/amp/

https://students.com.ng/top-10-institutions-chosen-first-choice-candidates-2018-utme-exam/

The second link shows the number of candidates that choice those schools as first choice.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Isobug: 10:24am On Feb 08, 2019
adecz:
angry angry

HND is never equivalent to University degree.

Letting them enter at level O8 is an injustice
to university graduates.

Most HND holders can barely speak correct
English & they have lower entry requirements.

Lies..... Your type can't even compare a polytechnic graduate. I have successfully tested both education(HND&BSc.) and see no difference between the two.

The only difference is individuals

1 Like

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by OlujobaSamuel: 10:24am On Feb 08, 2019
PatrickOkunima:

That's not correct. It doesn't matter if you got your M.Sc. after B.Sc. or HND through PDG, the important criteria you need to meet to qualify for PhD admission is an M.Sc. with a weighted average of at least 60%. Do your findings before drawing conclusions.
Whao, thanks. I never knew
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by BabaAroba: 10:25am On Feb 08, 2019
That's good and all the lecturer in the polytechnic should also go and study more because most of them don't even care anymore when they have master they will not proceed again since promotion is going on steadily.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by lastempero: 10:27am On Feb 08, 2019
1StopRudeness:
Is a bachelor's degree the same with diploma in nigeria?? I'm just asking cos alot of people seem to be vexing and screaming injustice.
I've come to notice that their clamouring isn't really gunuine..This is just about securing jobs...or getting the same treatment Bsc holders have in work places...
because if it were really genuine diploma holder would also clamour that they aren't allowed to apply for a masters degree or a PhD with a diploma.. clearly this invincible injustice seem to exist in this area aswell.
Both degree aren't the same, they never were, extending the NYSC scheme to diploma holders was supposed to help but it somehow added more petrol to the fire cos they never converted all polytechnics into university...plus, employers were never ordered by the government to see both certificate as the same and that isn't even possible.
So problem isn't really the government, it's the labour employers that don't employ the right degree for the right job..btw why are pple still going to polytechnics if they know this so called injustice is waiting for them.

United states I know and iam sure recognises our HND as degree so why is the civil service which happens to be the worst arm of fg making a fuss about it. In western world what they are after is the credit load in your transcript and not the stupid dichotomy.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Nobody: 10:44am On Feb 08, 2019
lastempero:

United states I know and iam sure recognises our HND as degree so why is the civil service which happens to be the worst arm of fg making a fuss about it. In western world what they are after is the credit load in your transcript and not the stupid dichotomy.

That's not technically true....u see.... universities abroad don't just look at certificate name for masters entry...they look at course modules and unit of course work and thesis.... It's easier with social science courses....but it's harder to take HND for master in life science/biomedical sciences courses...
And sometimes, it's just about the money u want to pay......
This is how u will know they don't really recognize ur HND.....a bachelor's is the minimum requirement for PhD abroad if u have a first class or very good 2.1...
No university in the world will accept ur HND for a PhD position....never...

2 Likes

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by OlujobaSamuel: 10:44am On Feb 08, 2019
Young042galaxy:

Bros u can lie Eh.
The dude isn't lying. I graduated from Ilaro. In 2011, the UTME score for accounting, bus admin and Banking was 250, yet thousands scored far above that and never got admission.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by btadepoju: 10:47am On Feb 08, 2019
By God's grace i graduated as one the best student in my department from one the best polytechnics in Nigeria.
Due to this discrimination against polytechnic graduates, i decided to apply for a post-hnd program (HND to B.ENG conversion) immediately after my youth service. To the glory of God, am now a registered engineer (COREN) and also a corporate member of NSE (MNSE).
Now the question is if I remain an hnd graduate will I be in the position i found myself in my career today, the answer is "NO".

This issue of dichotomy will remain forever until our education is restructure.

Even though most polytechnic graduates esp. those that studied engineering are technically sound more than there university counterparts.

Another question is how many Phd or professor are lecturing in our polytechnics? In fact some B.Sc holders lecture in our polytechnics. So how is it possible to equate university graduates with polytechnic graduate, is not possible no matter how good you are esp. in Nigeria where we cherish certificates. There must always be a limitation.
We might say is not by lecturer but it's very important in education.

For the little one who are aspiring to achieve a greater position in there career in Nigeria can try to enroll to one of those universities running post-hnd program while they are still working.

In certificate wise, the worst university in Nigeria is better than the best polytechnic

1 Like

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by adecz: 10:56am On Feb 08, 2019
DonroxyII:
I spent one year in polytechnic and I already have my Bsc and M.sc , the quality of education in polytechnic can never be compared to that of a university ...
How can u compare someone taught by PhD holders and professors with someone taught by a Mr who get job via man know man and restrict the entire class to 40pages copied handout .... if you buy handout you already passed the CA test of 30marks and leniency in examination with respect to marking!

I have one IT student right now undergoing HND , I begged this guy to opt for University, he categorically told me he can't cope with university but He understand Polytechnic better .... He is in HND II, if you see his handouts, you must fear ... some copied 30/50 pages and he will restrict all his reading to the handout then gbam .... he is already equivalent to a B.sc holder !!

Poly and Uni do not offer same degree, entry requirement differ, industrial requirements differs but Nigeria has a way of borrowing a very good concept and Nigerianised it into Jagajaga !!

A technician must not be arguing with a conceiver ..... Your job is to build my thought !!! I am the brain , you are the Muscle .... we all need one another to function as a whole ....

Polytechnic, College of Education, University and Education generally have been destroyed !!

Very well articulated.

You are a pride to university education
& your star shall be forever ascending★★★

Some polytechnics even started offering
Law courses!!! Imagine.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Joybringer: 11:00am On Feb 08, 2019
btadepoju:
By God's grace i graduated as one the best student in my department from one the best polytechnics in Nigeria.
Due to this discrimination against polytechnic graduates, i decided to apply for a post-hnd program (HND to B.ENG conversion) immediately after my youth service. To the glory of God, am now a registered engineer (COREN) and also a corporate member of NSE (MNSE).
Now the question is if I remain an hnd graduate will I be in the position i found myself in my career today, the answer is "NO".

This issue of dichotomy will remain forever until our education is restructure.

Even though most polytechnic graduates esp. those that studied engineering are technically sound more than there university counterparts.

Another question is how many Phd or professor are lecturing in our polytechnics? In fact some B.Sc holders lecture in our polytechnics. So how is it possible to equate university graduates with polytechnic graduate, is not possible no matter how good you are esp. in Nigeria where we cherish certificates. There must always be a limitation.
We might say is not by lecturer but it's very important in education.

For the little one who are aspiring to achieve a greater position in there career in Nigeria can try to enroll to one of those universities running post-hnd program while they are still working.

In certificate wise, the worst university in Nigeria is better than the best polytechnic

Thank you bro. I'm currently studying here

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Bigday001: 11:03am On Feb 08, 2019
Get sure Bookings from a reliable source and make winning a habit.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by hartson(m): 11:06am On Feb 08, 2019
Hmmm,HND & BSC graduates roam about major streets of big cities in search of salary job.who this certificates epp else.I threw away my certificate and went into entrepreneurship today I am proud.I own my own business even employed graduates I pay monthly.
Investment is the way to go,forget about certificate.I pity people who roam about looking for jobs to get monthly salary at the end of the month while with little cash investment one can grow to the top.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by anibabes007(m): 11:06am On Feb 08, 2019
Getintouch2004:

Where can I get those?
Our contact are on the pictures
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by lastempero: 11:13am On Feb 08, 2019
1StopRudeness:

That's not technically true....u see.... universities abroad don't just look at certificate name for masters entry...they look at course modules and unit of course work and thesis.... It's easier with social science courses....but it's harder to take HND for master in life science/biomedical sciences courses...
And sometimes, it's just about the money u want to pay......
This is how u will know they don't really recognize ur HND.....a bachelor's is the minimum requirement for PhD abroad if u have a first class or very good 2.1...
No university in the world will accept ur HND for a PhD position....never...

I know and iam sure of engineering courses are accepted for masters in the states.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Andrewkinggg: 11:21am On Feb 08, 2019
Then stop funding polytechnics in the country and wasting people's children future for nothing.

1 Like

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by DonroxyII: 11:32am On Feb 08, 2019
adecz:

Very well articulated.

You are a pride to university education
& your star shall be forever ascending★★★

Some polytechnics even started offering
Law courses!!! Imagine.

I pray for you too sir. May God keep rising you in your endeavour . Thanks !

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

OAU Loses Accreditation For Law, Dentistry, Botany And Medical Rehabilitation / Nkechi Chidi-Ogbolu Bags PHD Scholarship At University Of California At Age 18 / Uniosun Ipetu-ijesa Campus In Turmoil Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.