Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,305 members, 7,811,900 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:48 PM

Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie - Celebrities (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie (42783 Views)

Joke Silva Pictured With Olu Jacobs & Their Son At Her Mum's Burial / Olu Jacobs And Patience Ozokwor Back To School (Photo) / Cossy Orjiakor Meets Pete Edochie (photo). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by THEAMAKA(f): 7:57pm On Aug 23, 2010
Pete, 1985

[flash=425,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHofhkaQT_Y?fs=1[/flash]

lol @ the comments on this thread
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by Kinezeala(m): 8:08pm On Aug 23, 2010
Fool, dbanj never did that song just because he wanted to make money,saying thank you with the aid of mp3 or making a song is not always about making the money.
For the records,dbanj never paid a dime for that honour,was he paid for being called capella or skibanj?
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by treylaw: 8:21pm On Aug 23, 2010
When will all these tribal wars end? This is one of the reasons Nigeria isn't moving forward. NO UNITY!
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by Kinezeala(m): 8:22pm On Aug 23, 2010
School boy error? See this guy o!so i will be making an error if i tell a novice that it is not proper to greet an elderly yoruba dude while standing erect?
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by nkilirox(f): 8:45pm On Aug 23, 2010
The problem with Nigerians is that any criticism no matter how valid will be immediately cast aside as bad belle.

Personally I see Pete Edochie's point. Nigerians are not the only consumers of Nollywood productions, its important to accurately represent cultures on film. I do not think this means that Olu Jacobs stop being considered for these roles, but rather that he as an actor spend the time to learn about the character he's about to play. Which also include properly pronouncing Igbo words (Van Vicker please take note) and learning the nuances of non-Yoruba culture.
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by AndreUweh(m): 9:28pm On Aug 23, 2010
nkilirox:

The problem with Nigerians is that any criticism no matter how valid will be immediately cast aside as bad belle.

Personally I see Pete Edochie's point. Nigerians are not the only consumers of Nollywood productions, its important to accurately represent cultures on film. I do not think this means that Olu Jacobs stop being considered for these roles, but rather that he as an actor spend the time to learn about the character he's about to play. Which also include properly pronouncing Igbo words (Van Vicker please take note) and learning the nuances of non-Yoruba culture.
well said.
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by bawomolo(m): 9:30pm On Aug 23, 2010
he should extend his energy/hatorade towards the casting directors and not olu jacobs.

abi pete no fit carry him fat belle go audition? pete edochie typecasted himself and has himself to blame.
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by Kinezeala(m): 9:39pm On Aug 23, 2010
Nkili wise words mehn. . .
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by MissyB1(m): 9:56pm On Aug 23, 2010
nkilirox:

It's not so difficult to discern a bad belle criticism from an objective one.
Miss Nkilirox, as a matter of sincerity, have you, before now, thought it is wrong for Olu to interpret the role of an Igwe?
Have you ever thought he's been doing a poor job?
My point? this is a trivial issue.  . . .  . . .So trivial that it doesn't even come to mind until someone mentions it.  So far, Olu has not be found incapable.
Justuce Esiri has played an Igwe. Is he Igbo? Why didn't Pete use him as an example? There are so many Igbos in the industry - Chinwetalu Agwu and others - Why do these directors not give them the role, instead of Olu?
Pete knows what's bugging him and to be honest, it's evident in his words.
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by Chimanet(m): 11:06pm On Aug 23, 2010
Olu is not an IGBOman but his a professional,Pete never meant to create a beef wit Olu, he was just trying to put straight things that are not done in IGBOland .Becouse if Olu was a full grown IGBOman he should have adviced those young producers on things that are supossed to be done and things that are atrocities in the IGBO culture,he is just trying to protect his culture!
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by Dolemite(f): 11:10pm On Aug 23, 2010
Chimanet:

Olu is not an IGBOman but his a professional,Pete never meant to create a beef wit Olu, he was just trying to put straight things that are not done in IGBOland .Becouse if Olu was a full grown IGBOman he should have adviced those young producers on things that are supossed to be done and things that are atrocities in the IGBO culture,he is just trying to protect his culture!
Bingogo!!
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by hobat4cash(m): 11:22pm On Aug 23, 2010
You guys should cut d man some slack abeg, maybe Pete should have been more carefull by d way he reacted by choosing his words carefully so as not to be seen as being jealous or tribalistic. That said, i think Pete has d moral right to defend d igbo culture since he is a red cap chief in igboland.
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by sjeezy8: 11:26pm On Aug 23, 2010
Olu should simply not play any igbo roles-
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by mamagee3(f): 11:43pm On Aug 23, 2010
Pete Edochie's statement was just uncalled for and completely unnnecessary.

Olu Jacobs may not be an Igbo but he doesn't destroy the Igbo culture in any way, shape or form.

He's a talented actor and a gifted one at that. . .I don't know ehere Pete Edochie is getting his opinion from.
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by presido1: 11:48pm On Aug 23, 2010
It sounds like a beef but itz not. Olu as a seasoned actor is in a position to advice the young producers on whaz good to act on.
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by mamagee3(f): 11:54pm On Aug 23, 2010
presido1:

It sounds like a beef but itz not. Olu as a seasoned actor is in a position to advice the young producers on whaz good to act on.
And what point are you trying to get across?
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by Freewilly(f): 12:15am On Aug 24, 2010
I just love how some ppl on this thread would claim to be Igbo and spell it "IBO" I totally agree with what Pete Edochie is saying, it's about time Nollywood stop disrespecting Igbo culture.

You dare not see such disrespect in Hausa movies.

Maybe it's time they start making movies in Igbo language for Igbo audience again.
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by Smi1(m): 12:37am On Aug 24, 2010
Freewilly:

I just love how some ppl on this thread would claim to be Igbo and spell it "IBO" I totally agree with what Pete Edochie is saying, it's about time Nollywood stop disrespecting Igbo culture.

You dare not see such disrespect in Hausa movies.

Maybe it's time they start making movies in Igbo language for Igbo audience again.

too much broukutu for your system abi wetin ?? grin
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by Amokwe(m): 12:42am On Aug 24, 2010
Thanks to Pete Edochie for raising a valid point. He is not against Olu Jacobs playing igbo roles, but Edochie is more concerned about misrepresentation of igbo cultures and values, remember these things are documented and distributed everywhere round the globe and before you know it people all over the world will start seeing the misrepresented parts as presented in some of the movies as the TRUE CULTURE of the igbos
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by Amokwe(m): 12:47am On Aug 24, 2010
This is not anything TRIBALISTIC it is bad to misrepresent cultures, All Edochie is saying is that people shoild RESEARCH on culture/tradition of the people before assuming any role to represent them
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by jason12345: 12:48am On Aug 24, 2010
cry cry what is wrong in olu playing igwe, even some ibo actors and actress act in yoruba spoken movies
well i hope this stops in nija soon. pls lets be united as one
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by tpiah: 12:49am On Aug 24, 2010
i dont see what the big deal is.

non-yoruba actors feature in yoruba movies all the time without anyone complaining.

likewise i watched morgan freeman in invictus and he was quite good.

so why the ruckus.

and wasnt idi amin portrayed by the AA guy.
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by nkilirox(f): 1:14am On Aug 24, 2010
I have never thought that is was wrong for Olu Jacobs to play the role of an Igwe or any igbo character. However I have cringed while watching him in these roles. Something as simple as pronouncing common Igbo words correctly, he hasn't been able to master, and as an Igbo person it is glaringly obvious to me. Again if you read my initial response, I never said that Olu Jacobs shouldn't play these roles, rather he should put more effort into the little things like getting the right accents etc. I don't think he's destroying Igbo culture, he just doesn't accurately represent it on film. They're several non-Igbo actors that play Igbo characters well, Ini Edo comes to mind and several that don't, Van Vicker is one I already mentioned but one that is particularly irritating.

As far as the comparison to non-Yorubas in Yoruba films, the reason nobody complains is because they at least speak Yoruba properly and act like Yorubas in their respective roles.
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by DisGuy: 1:58am On Aug 24, 2010
hobat4cash:

You guys should cut d man some slack abeg, maybe Pete should have been more carefull by d way he reacted by choosing his words carefully so as not to be seen as being jealous or tribalistic. That said, i think Pete has d moral right to defend d igbo culture since he is a red cap chief in igboland.

Chimanet:

yes IFFFFF Olu was an Igbo man. . . but he is not the directors are most likely igbo why are they misrepresenting their own culture??

Infact who has damaged the IGBI Culture more? the one not pronouncing the words as authentic as it should sound or the ONE and only porky with an unkept beard who over the decade has played a RITUALISTIC MONEY HUNGRY POT-BELLY WHO WONT HESITATE TO KILL IS MOTHER/WIFE FOR CASH??
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by 0hsisi: 2:39am On Aug 24, 2010
I agree with Pete here
Olu Jacobs is a fine actor but sucks in his Igbo Igwe roles
For one he can't pronounce the names,can't even pronounce his own names in the movies
It's very irritating for an Igbo person to watch a supposed Igwe butcher her language when the role could have easily been given to an Igbo man

I don't watch any movies where he's cast as an Igwe
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by 0hsisi: 2:47am On Aug 24, 2010
nkilirox:

I have never thought that is was wrong for Olu Jacobs to play the role of an Igwe or any igbo character. However I have cringed while watching him in these roles. Something as simple as pronouncing common Igbo words correctly, he hasn't been able to master, and as an Igbo person it is glaringly obvious to me. Again if you read my initial response, I never said that Olu Jacobs shouldn't play these roles, rather he should put more effort into the little things like getting the right accents etc.  I don't think he's destroying Igbo culture, he just doesn't accurately represent it on film.  They're several non-Igbo actors that play Igbo characters well, Ini Edo comes to mind and several that don't, Van Vicker is one I already mentioned but one that is particularly irritating.

As far as the comparison to non-Yorubas in Yoruba films, the reason nobody complains is because they at least speak Yoruba properly and act like Yorubas in their respective roles.

Gbam!
Igbos are versatile
when an Igbo man is caste to play the role of a Yoruba man,you can be sure he is fluent in Yoruba and pronounces the words like one
Jegede Shokoya RIP of blessed memories acted in "masquerade",He is a full fledged Mbaise Man
Shehu,the Hausa man in Masquerade was also an Igbo man but was absolutely great
Madam Akpeno was a Calabar woman but she could pass for a crazy Ijebu woman grin while Giringory acted the part of a Calabar houseboy perfectly with the accent and all.

No one is saying Olu Jacobs should not act as an Igwe,but if he doesn't make efforts to pronounce the words like an Igbo man would or close to it,he should keep away from those roles.
It's as simple as that
Has nothing to do with tribalism
American actors are cast as Britons and french but they study to get the accents right
Olu Jacobs should be able to do same or he should stick to being a Professor or President with his Yoruba accent
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by 0hsisi: 2:54am On Aug 24, 2010
tpiah:

i dont see what the big deal is.

non-yoruba actors feature in yoruba movies all the time without anyone complaining.

likewise i watched morgan freeman in invictus and he was quite good.

so why the ruckus.

and wasnt idi amin portrayed by the AA guy.

That is not the point
A yoruba man fluent in Igbo would do
Olu Jacobs is not and so has no business acting as an Igwe when he'll be calling Nneka ,Ineka
Or Ngozi as UnGozi
and village of Umudioka like he was pronouncing something in Ekiti dialect
It is irritating for an Igbo person to watch
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by chiogo(f): 3:02am On Aug 24, 2010
They're all horrible anyway . . .
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by tpiah: 3:05am On Aug 24, 2010
0hsisi:

That is not the point
Olu Jacobs is not and so has no business acting as an Igwe when he'll be calling Nneka ,Ineka
Or Ngozi as UnGozi

And is olu jacobs a new actor?

why the ruckus at this particular point in time.
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by birdman(m): 3:18am On Aug 24, 2010
nkilirox:

How would you know the Yoruba is proper? You are not yoruba.

0hsisi:

Gbam!
Igbos are versatile
when an Igbo man is caste to play the role of a Yoruba man,you can be sure he is fluent in Yoruba and pronounces the words like one
Jegede Shokoya RIP of blessed memories acted in "masquerade",He is a full fledged Mbaise Man

Again, how would you know? Just because Jegede played the Yoruba caricature you are used to doesn't make his acting or accent anything close to Yoruba. Of course, we (Yoruba),  understand that its an act, nothing more, and its nothing to get upset about.

Just so you know, I was, and am a Jegede fan. Stop taking yourself so serious people. Dayum!
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by Nobody: 6:11am On Aug 24, 2010
[Yaaaaaaawwwwwn] Childish rants from a slowpoke. like his audience notice and even if they do, who cares
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by THEAMAKA(f): 7:28am On Aug 24, 2010
the Igbos in Yoruba movies most likely grew up in Yoruba land/Lagos.

0hsisi:

That is not the point
Or Ngozi as UnGozi
[size=15pt]bwahahahahahahahaha!!!! LOL[/size]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ice Prince Flaunts His New Hairstyle (Photos) / Dewy Oputa To SJ Her Lesbian Partner: "You Mean So Much To Me" / I Dated My Ex-husband For 10 Yrs But Our Marriage Lasted Just 1 Yr — Ronke Ojo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.