Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,368 members, 7,812,054 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:22 AM

Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie - Celebrities (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie (42785 Views)

Joke Silva Pictured With Olu Jacobs & Their Son At Her Mum's Burial / Olu Jacobs And Patience Ozokwor Back To School (Photo) / Cossy Orjiakor Meets Pete Edochie (photo). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by AloyEmeka5: 6:13pm On Aug 24, 2010
cjfavour:

I'm not saying that Olu should stop acting igwe. No, what i'm saying is that he should know what he's doing. he should be collecting the boys when they give him some roles to play. Most of them does not know anything about Igbo's traditional institutiion. They don't visit home. He should  know that he's an elderly man.

To those saying that he should not reply Pete. You should know that Pete is far greater than olu. No insult or disrespect intended. But that is a fact.Pete has been acting before Olu came on board.And to my knowledge he has not overtaking Pete.

You knew this how and on what basis? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by sjeezy8: 6:16pm On Aug 24, 2010
Olu shouldnt even reply this clown
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by redsox89: 7:30pm On Aug 24, 2010
Has any body seen invictus? Mandela's character was played by Morgan Freeman so what is pete really talking about?
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by dayokanu(m): 7:36pm On Aug 24, 2010
How about Americans that play African roles in movies and struggle with the pronunciations?

Do you think Chinwetel would pronounce Yoruba language the way Fela would have?
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by BabaOnileK: 9:00pm On Aug 24, 2010
Coming from Pete Edochie - an actor of the old skool, am surprised and ashamed. Did he ever watch 'The Last King of Scotland or Blood Diamond''? Were the lead roles played by citizens of Uganda and Sirra-Leone or any African for that matter? Was the Oscar awarded to Forest Whitaker not justified for the interpretation of the role? Did Leonardo Di Capri not speak pidgin convincingly like an African?

The problem most probably lies with the script-writers and producers for not doing a good job. Olu Jacobs might slip once in a while but he is a cut far above the pedestrian players parading themselves as superstars.
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by Dolemite(f): 10:20pm On Aug 24, 2010
redsox89:

Has any body seen invictus? Mandela's character was played by Morgan Freeman so what is pete really talking about?
You guys don't understand, this is what Pete is saying, if Freeman for example smoked a cigar and drank beer from a can in his scenes, something clearly out of character for Mandela, then there would be a problem, Pete is saying Olu Jacobs is not representing the Ibo culture properly in his roles.
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by oge4real(f): 12:55am On Aug 25, 2010
It does not matter who plays the roles, but it would be better if they learn how to at least pronounce the names of the people they claim to be ruling.
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by 0hsisi: 1:17am On Aug 25, 2010
oge4real:

It does not matter who plays the roles, but it would be better if they learn how to at least pronounce the names of the people they claim  to be ruling.

My point summarized.

You can't act like a Pastor while dressed like a pi.mp grin
The same way you can't pronounce Igbo words like you were speaking Ijebu
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by DisGuy: 1:19am On Aug 25, 2010
considering he's been chosen to play those roles more than once surely he must have been re-assured by the igbo producERS as being the better candidate- afterall its all about what what will ATTRACT CUSTOMERS TO THE FILMS (MONEEEEEEY EGOOO, CASH), THE IGBO PRODUCERS PROBABLY GET MORE SALES FEATURING OLU JACOBS TO SAY A BEARDED PORKY WHO HAS ONLY ONE ROLE- RITUALIST!
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by 0hsisi: 1:20am On Aug 25, 2010
Dis Guy:

considering he's been chosen to play those roles more than once[s] surely he must have been re-assured by the igbo producing as being the better candidate-[/s] afterall its all about what what will ATTRACT CUSTOMERS TO THE FILMS, THE IGBO PRODUCERS PROBABLY GET MORE SALES FEATURING OLU JACOBS TO SAY A BEARDED PORKY WHO HAS ONLY ONE ROLE- RITUALIST!

Maybe cheaper grin
Business is business grin
they'll soon use crepe bandage and tie down Mercy Johnson's bazookas  and cast her as Segun Arinze
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by DisGuy: 1:28am On Aug 25, 2010
MAYBE CLASSIER,
less offensive to the eyes
less offensive to the ears as well with the atrocious sound quality you dont want to hear someone screaming with eyes popping out like an aro patient
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by THEAMAKA(f): 1:36am On Aug 25, 2010
Dis Guy:

MAYBE CLASSIER,
less offensive to the eyes
less offensive to the ears as well with the atrocious sound quality you dont want to hear someone screaming with eyes popping out like an aro patient

lol. "less offensive to the eyes"
hahahaha, NO.
producers do not care! they will hire anyone as long as the movie gets done and they make some quick bucks from it.
I've seen Pete play the Igwe plenty of times. . . but he shouldn't have said what he said

but if you're gonna play the role, do it right. (the producers are the main ones to blame though)
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by 0hsisi: 1:53am On Aug 25, 2010
I love Olu Jacobs,but for someone to call him less offensive to the eyes as in handsome
I need that emoticon that rolls on the ground while laughing.
grin grin grin grin grin

He is just a regular old man biko

Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by Nobody: 3:16am On Aug 25, 2010
That is Olu?? shocked I always thought dude was Igbo.

What is Pete odeshi saying? Olu is a great actor.

He acts like that old Igbo dude in TERRIBLE SIN.  cool
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by DisGuy: 3:22am On Aug 25, 2010
i'll leave the handsome to you

i really dont want to bother people on here so i decide to post a link instead of the pictures, you'll understand cheesy

Pete Edochie one way actor
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by Abeskey: 7:57am On Aug 25, 2010
Roles can be given to anyone irrespective of ethnic group.It is the responsibility of the script writer and ovie director to interprete roles,call for ammendment, where needed.
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by Nakele(f): 12:11pm On Aug 25, 2010
MSSSSHHHH, WHO DOES PETER EDOCHI THINK HE IS UGLY AND UNTIDY BEARS.,,,,,,,, IGBO MY FOOT,,,,,,,,LEAVE PAPA OLU TO BE,
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by Orilee9ice(m): 12:16pm On Aug 25, 2010
BOBO "PETERU" YEN O JASI RARA JARE, i have seen Peter play a few times and he is so "old school" that is why they dont use him even if he plays modern roles, he still looks "old school" maybe he should assist his son with his "trade!" like they sai on here somewhere, then he will get "exposed" to what is happening in modern times, lol grin

Olu Jacobs , Go-on s'ohun jare! Na you BIKO!
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by wisemikky(m): 2:49pm On Aug 25, 2010
y'all should be ashamed of yourselves for even conceiving of arguing over silly things like this.  

youths shouldnt be engaged in ethnicity, it's rubbish, complete hogwash and we should be talking some of our folks out of it. angry

wisemikky, out! cool
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by oneluvb55(f): 6:03pm On Aug 25, 2010
de blame should go to the scriptwriter, den olu jacobs should continue since he can interprete his roles very well.
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by patrick89(m): 8:13pm On Aug 25, 2010
He can't act that role period.what peter is saying is right,it is not a matter where u come frm if u have anything against peter,better go and sort it with him and stop venting your frustration on a whole tribe.
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by patrick89(m): 8:26pm On Aug 25, 2010
Beside it will be impossible for other people frm other tribe to play that kind of sensitive role in yorubas culture movie
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by Ifygurl: 11:34am On Aug 26, 2010
I kinda find it funny that my earlier post was deleted.  LMFAO, I’m guessing I said something true because I’m trying to understand why someone would delete my post.  So this one wouldn't be deleted, I’ll move away from what I said before. LMFAO.
Anyway sha, it's hilarious that people literally think Pete is hating on Olu.  Are you serious?  Both men are a legend and just like Olu, Pete has worked outside of nollywood.  Things fall apart was an English made movie. Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh? He even won an international award.  Why would he be jealous of olu over something, he, himself as achieved too and even gotten an award which olu never did (I think).  Like duhhhh people.  Heck it is like me being jealous of a Nigerian for being Nigerian.  Or an Igbo for being Igbo.  Or an African for being African or a Nigerian for going to school. LOL.  Weird deduction people.  LMFAO.  Acting outside of Nigeria does not make some said person a better actor.  Small boy of yesterday what's his name again, the dude that claimed he had trouble in Ghana recently.  All I know his a new actor and he was in that movie with tonto dike, Jim tyke and gene vive nnaji.  He had to play a doctor, I forgot his name but he, himself, have worked outside of Nigeria as well.  He acted in some European movie.  Does that mean his a better actor than all the new movie stars because he’s the only new actor that has worked outside of nollywood, of course not.  In my opinion, the dude sucks men.  I like him and all but he sucks and I wish he will see this.  Heck I’m trying to think how I can drag van vicker into this as well and hope he will see this and better his own acting as well. The same goes with Francis duru, a lot of the extras, Tonto Dike, and so much more actors and actresses. Don’t even get me started.  In addition, seriously do people honestly think Pete edochie’s sons would be getting jobs yet their father would be suffering from job loss?  Do you people honestly think that?  Again weird deduction.  Just so this post would not be deleted as well, I am going to stir away from this side of the argument.

Anyway, back to serious note.  What "supposedly" Pete said is true.  If you are giving a role, try to get that role right. The way he said it on the other hand is kinda mean, hence the reason I doubt Pete actually said it. Just so my post won’t be deleted again, I’m not going to go into details on why I doubt this article. Anyway, if you are giving a role, you have to research it repeatedly, if you can't get it right "ad lip" Every movie stars does this, including American and European stars. If not, they are either fired, replaced, demoted or their pay is reduced. I've watched a lot of "making "name of this a specific" movie" and I’ve seen a lot of movie stars hang out with people they have to portray in the movie just so they can get it right.  I know when they did blood diamond, Leonard Dicaprio claimed he spent many times in South Africa hanging out with white South Africans so he can get the accent right and he drank a lot of palm wine so he can get used to the taste before the movie.  I remembered "I forgot the dude's name as well" but he had to play a human that switched brain with a dog and he said he bought a dog.  Did everything that dog did just so he can get it right, he even ate out a dog bowl just so when he did it in the movie, it looked real. This is expected from every movie star and just because you are a legend does not mean you should be giving a free pass.  Halle Berry and “I can’t believe I’ve forgotten this dude’s name but he was also popular when Halle berry was extremely famous and every black girl loved him”.  I forgot his name unfortunately, anyway, this two are legends in the American movie industry.  Though Halle is not getting jobs anymore, he still is and he still has to research his parts.  He isn’t getting any free pass just because he’s a legend. My mother freaking love Olu Jacob, along with Dokubo.  Those are her two favorite people and one thing I have noticed when we watch Nigerian movie with olu playing an Igwe, 95% she tells me to fast-forward that area.  Never really understood why until now after reading some of the replies;  I can't really comment on how Olu acts in his "igwe" position especially when he has to say an Igbo word, etc seeing the fact I’ve never actually seen those areas because I always have to fast-forward because of my mother.  However, I noticed how people are bringing mercy Johnson and co's name into this.  One thing I know is when Mercy Johnson plays an Igbo; she gets everything right even when she have to sing in Igbo, the same with Ini Edo.  There's times I’ve actually thought both girls grew up around Igbo people.  I call it thoroughly researching your role.  Ini Edo literally had to start from beginning and she’s great at it now and if what people are saying is true, why can’t Olu.  He’s being there longer, acted longer than she has, compare to him, she’s a toddler, not even a toddler, she’s a sperm.  Dokubo speak Igbo, she knows Igbo culture, therefore there is no reason to complain about her.  I’ve never seen Justus Esiri say anything in Igbo.  He seems to get the Igbo culture right though.  I never actually knew he wasn’t Igbo, if it wasn’t for a reply in this topic, I didn’t know.  Glad that I know now.  . People are bringing in American and European movie stars into this as well, the difference between them and Nigerian movie stars are 1.) They are wayyy beyond Nigerian movie stars, they are in a different levels.  It’s actually kind of insulting to Hollywood actors 2.) They went to school and actually learned how to act.  3.) Better producers (we can’t just blame the actors, the producers have a hand in it as well 4.)  They research what their role thoroughly and I’m estimating about 3% of Nigerian movie stars actually do that.  I have another example. I remembered watching this movie with some friend, it featured omotola, Francis duru, uche jombo, etc and Francis duru had to pretend he was from Liberia.  The guy supposedly claim his researches his role, I highly doubt it, and he should stick to Igbo movies alone.  Anyway, in the movie, he spoke English as if he cannot speak English and a friend of mine from Liberia took a huge offense to it.  She claimed that his acting like Liberians cannot speak English; it offended her a lot till the point that we have to remove the movie and play another (when they left, I finished it, wouldn’t recommend that movie to anyone. It’s crap and omotola should be ashamed for even acting in that movie. She is too good for it.  Do not even get me started. ).  Anyway, I love how people scream tribalism without having nothing to back them up in it (there‘s tribalism and non-tribalism with offense but accurate words and what Pete “supposedly “said is NOT tribalism.  If a culture is important to specific tribe and you have to portray that important culture to others yet you keep messing it up don’t you think it will piss people off, don‘t you think they will feel insult and wrong from that. It similar to when I visited Nigeria this Christmas and I had to stay in Lagos for awhile before moving to the village, I went to the market with my uncle and noticed Igbo masquerades walking around and chasing people around, asking for money.  I thought it was cool that they brought this from the east to Lagos until I saw one with a girl following it around and the person inside the masquerade was a girl as well when it spoke.  I thought it was kinda weird so I asked my uncle about it; he informed me that the masquerades aren’t Igbo’s.  It’s an Igbo masquerades but it’s not Igbo’s inside.  For one thing, I automatically took offense, not only is masquerades scared in Igbo culture but a chick being inside one and another chick following it around is an abomination in Igbo culture and  it’s also misrepresent the culture.  I didn’t get offended because it was non-Igbo’s inside the masquerade but how they were misrepresenting the culture.   If something is important to someone and you are misrepresenting that thing, people will get offended.   Like duhh.  The American football season is extremely important to Americans.  If I go to a house that’s having a party just because of this season and I scream “I can’t stand American football, it gets on my nerves and it’s not a culture and blah blah” (I wish I have better examples but Americans barely have that much culture so this the best I can think of), anyway, don’t you think Americans in that party will get offended and most likely kick me out of the party.  Seriously like duhhhhhh.  Did any of you guys ever wondered why Kelly handsome got mad and did that dis song? (Though it was a hot song though. I kinda liked it) or why people got offended when Dbanj and those American actors received a chief title.  Seriously, this is what is wrong with Africa and Africans, this is why we are always fighting.  It’s because people refusing to see and understand other’s culture and know what’s important and what’s not and know what will offend others and what will not. 

Bleep Anyway sorry for the long post and I know I tend to use a lot of examples.  I can’t help it.
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by bigfather(m): 11:47am On Aug 26, 2010
PETE sef dey play bad roles naa.
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by femidavids: 3:25pm On Aug 26, 2010
Na were de guy go hide self like Osama.That na tribalism he supose to tell privately. tongue lipsrsealed
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by dayokanu(m): 9:37pm On Aug 26, 2010
oge4real:

It does not matter who plays the roles, but it would be better if they learn how to at least pronounce the names of the people they claim to be ruling.

Those Americans who acts African roles, do you think they pronounce the name like an African would do?

Do you think Chinwetel would speak Yoruba and call Yoruba names like Fela in his lifetime would?
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by chiogo(f): 10:40pm On Aug 26, 2010
^^ And don't Africans criticize them for that?
I personally criticize American actors who play African roles wrongly, not just the names but acting stereotypical parts that do not portray Africa.

As for Pete Edochie and Olu Jacobs, they're both over-rated, mediocre actors who are not versatile - always playing the same boring roles.
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by teejan: 9:38am On Aug 27, 2010
pete a modafxxxxking b-i-a-f-r-a-n psycho! grin
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by nkilirox(f): 2:40pm On Aug 27, 2010
birdman:

How would you know the Yoruba is proper? You are not yoruba.

Again, how would you know? Just because Jegede played the Yoruba caricature you are used to doesn't make his acting or accent anything close to Yoruba. Of course, we (Yoruba),  understand that its an act, nothing more, and its nothing to get upset about.

Just so you know, I was, and am a Jegede fan. Stop taking yourself so serious people. Dayum!

So I have to be Yoruba to know what a proper Yoruba accent sounds like? Na wa. I'm 100% Igbo, but I know the difference between an Ibadan, Lagos or Owo accent.
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by nearest(m): 2:44pm On Aug 27, 2010
What is pete taking about, who destroyed the IGBO culture? Pete showed us for over a decade that the IGBO man is a ritualist, a killer, someone who does not care about what happens to his family as far a he makes money, and now he's saying someone isn't portraying the IGBO culture well? Should we assume that he is the only one that can portray the IGBO culture well, and if thats right we should assume that all his roles in movies where he kills, drinks the blood of his relatives and other rituals that he does ARE THE TRUE CULTURE OF THE IGBOs.
For those that call Olu Jacobs a small boy in acting definitely don't know about his stint in the uk, where he did alot of series that recieved great reviews.
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by Dolemite(f): 2:47pm On Aug 27, 2010
nearest:

What is pete taking about, who destroyed the IGBO culture? Pete showed us for over a decade that the IGBO man is a ritualist, a killer, someone who does not care about what happens to his family as far a he makes money, and now he's saying someone isn't portraying the IGBO culture well?
He also showed us the disadvantages of those acts by suffering at the end of those movies. . .
Re: Olu Jacobs Destroys Igbo Culture And Tradition — Pete Edochie by nearest(m): 3:22pm On Aug 27, 2010
Dolemite:

He also showed us the disadvantages of those acts by suffering at the end of those movies. . .
In your mind which aspects do you think those that watched the movie will readily associate with? The IGBO man who is all about rituals, or the IGBO man who suffers after using his family for money making rituals?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Dewy Oputa To SJ Her Lesbian Partner: "You Mean So Much To Me" / Jackie Appiah Pictured With George Weah / Eve Esin Turns Cheetah In New Wild Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.