Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,274 members, 7,842,823 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 01:39 PM

First Lady scolds governor in public. - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / First Lady scolds governor in public. (16165 Views)

I Criticise Buhari As Most Senior Governor In Nigeria — Fayose / MASSOB Scolds Ohaneze: Stop Demanding Political Privileges From Buhari / Rivers Group Scolds Amaechi Over His Comment That Gej Only Developed Biafrans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: First Lady scolds governor in public. by naso2(m): 12:37pm On Aug 25, 2010
Kinezeala:

an illetrate unpolished woman scolding an intellitual governor?
Chai,misplaced power,infact this na power miss road.

OLODO SEE  YOUR  FACE. U GO SCHOOL AT ALL?
Re: First Lady scolds governor in public. by Abagworo(m): 12:38pm On Aug 25, 2010
It is so unthinkable to me that someone would be living in plank thatch by a smelling river side where he can neither fish nor drink from the river and yet claim it to be his ancestral home.you get an offer of relocation to a well built house in etche lga beside a clean fishable imo river,yet you refuse.I wonder what options is left for the government.we must not tribalise everything.
Re: First Lady scolds governor in public. by Nobody: 12:42pm On Aug 25, 2010
Abagworo:

It is so unthinkable to me that someone would be living in plank thatch by a smelling river side where he can neither fish nor drink from the river and yet claim it to be his ancestral home.you get an offer of relocation to a well built house in etche lga beside a clean fishable imo river,yet you refuse.I wonder what options is left for the government.we must not tribalise everything.
omg. . .i wonder what those people living in oworoshoki by third mainland bridge would do if fashola decided to demolish their shanties.
Re: First Lady scolds governor in public. by Nobody: 12:44pm On Aug 25, 2010
Waterfront: First Lady calls for caution
, Rivers Govt says no disagreement with her

First Lady, Dame Patience Jonathan on Tuesday urged for caution on the controversial resolve of the Rivers State Government to demolish the Okrika waterfront and other slums in and around Port Harcourt, the state capital. While she would want Governor Chibuike Amaechi to refrain from using words that could suggest official use of force, Dame Jonathan, a native of Okrika, would also want her kinsmen to see the inherent benefits in rebuilding of the waterfronts.

The President’s wife while reacting to complaints in Okirika over the proposed demolition, charged the state Governor and the Okrika leaders to go into meaningful dialogue on how to amicably resolve the dispute.

She told the governor during an inspection tour of the Model Primary School and Primary Health Centre project sites in the community that land is highly treasured by her people and should therefore be handled with great tact. “Okrika has no land. Any little land they have is very very important - - - I am from here and I know the problem of my people. I don’t want us to go into crisis. We are preaching peace.”

Governor Amaechi had told the First Lady about government’s difficulty in getting the people of the community to allow demolition of the cluster of houses and shops around the two ultra-modern projects even when it had offered relocation of those to be affected.

Later at a reception organized in her honour by the Okrika people, Dame Jonathan while commending the projects, repeated her call for restraint on the part of the government.
“I was overwhelmed to see school and primary health centre built by the governor”.
However, she faulted the governor’s use of the word, “must” in connection with government’s resolve to demolish structures standing in the way of the projects pointing out that, “if you are demolishing a place eternally, you are wiping off that community”.

The First Lady who is a native of Obama in Okrika land harped on the need for the governor to dialogue with the people on the planned demolition.
She urged that the Chairman of the Okirika Local Government Council should seek the opinion of the various traditional chiefs of the areas to be affected and agree on a peaceful way of resolving the matter instead of the use of force.

“What I am telling you is don’t say you must. It is by appeal…. In Okirika, when it comes to land, it is a serious issue. So, it is something you must seek dialogue because we need peace in this community and there must be peace and it is only in peace that we can develop”.
Turning to her people, she assured them that, “they are not sending you on exile but it is by dialogue”.

On the planned demolition of the waterfronts, Dame Jonathan repeated her appeal against official use of force.
While describing the planned development of the waterfronts as commendable, she urged that the owners of the land should benefit from the proposed projects.
“What I believe is that people own those projects and the people need to be allocated some of the buildings.”
However, she passionately appealed to her people and the State government to come together and agree on how to develop the waterfronts.
Speaking on the Okrika visit, the Acting Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Mr. Blessing Wikina told Daily Sun that there was no disagreement between the First Lady and Governor Amaechi on any matter.

Also, he said it was not true that Dame Jonathan canceled her planed visit to the Port Harcourt Prisons because of the alleged disagreement pointing out that she had to put off that final assignment because she was about four hours behind schedule for the programmes scheduled for the final day of the visit.
Re: First Lady scolds governor in public. by Nobody: 12:54pm On Aug 25, 2010

very very dumb comment, what's wrong if the government builds on the same land and give it back to the people who own the land, why must they be moved to etche lga, so when they are displaced what happens next to the land, shared amongst government officials, show me a clean village in port harcourt, why don't they move the people of woji to eleme or diobu people to ogoni and build modern houses there, like i said earlier dumb comment
Re: First Lady scolds governor in public. by Radiant(f): 1:19pm On Aug 25, 2010
Whatever happened to diplomacy. . .sstupid Nigerians!
Re: First Lady scolds governor in public. by bignaija(m): 1:35pm On Aug 25, 2010
anything can happen in nigerian
Re: First Lady scolds governor in public. by adedimu4u: 1:48pm On Aug 25, 2010
Mr surveyor.you rarely know your own profession.you Upload a tiff imagery from goggle earth explaining Ikwerre and okirikka.I think you have mixed the issue.the imagery you have is distorted and incomplete.you have mixed the point with some one has embezzled bayelsa treasury with an imagery that does not match the water front or demographic settlement.I think you think you are the best but you are poorly trained
Re: First Lady scolds governor in public. by Nobody: 2:04pm On Aug 25, 2010
There is no human without error so both of them may be right or wrong. oga governor should not have use that word 'must' even if madam shouted on him he should not have stay away from the reception also and can later talk to madam or explain himself more to madam it her place you don't expect her
Re: First Lady scolds governor in public. by mikeoscar: 2:08pm On Aug 25, 2010
Only Okrika and Ikwerre people have right to comment on this issue. . . . not a fan of Patience, but she is well within her right to speak up on this issue.

Tamuno eh! Ibime for public forum too, you say make we no talk. O.k. the next time your folks post a topic there should be warning or a proprietary clause at the at the end of the post or at least give us opportunity to buy franchise or apply for "line-sense" to put mouth for the matter cheesy cheesy
Re: First Lady scolds governor in public. by Nobody: 2:25pm On Aug 25, 2010
Non-Okrika Indigenes will not understand, and those of you bashing this woman are clueless of the realities on ground.

Thank You Madam First Lady, We (Okrikans) are proud of you. Mr Ameachi or whatever he calls himself should know that land in Okrika is a very serious issue. We are not Ikwerri that doesn't know the value of land, you can continue with the demolision of PH (Ikwerri) and other Ikwerri City. We, Okrikans will not accept any form of demolision otherwise, there will be anarchy in the whole of Rivers State which no one is praying for.

We will rather mentain a united Okrika community than to embrace demolition/displacement of our brothers/sisters in the name of development. Development can be carried out without destruction of properties. Mr Rotimi Chibuke Ameachi should yeild to the advice of Her Excellency The First Lady of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, otherwise, there will be anarchy.
Re: First Lady scolds governor in public. by Goddex: 2:41pm On Aug 25, 2010
Before you crucify Mrs Jonathan, here is the full story from the Sun Newspaper.
This is mischief. It is more than just politics.

Waterfront: First Lady calls for caution
,  Rivers Govt says no disagreement with her
From Henry Chukwurah, Port Harcourt
Wednesday, August 25, 2010

More Stories on This Section

First Lady, Dame Patience Jonathan on Tuesday urged for caution on the controversial resolve of the Rivers State Government to demolish the Okrika waterfront and other slums in and around Port Harcourt, the state capital. While she would want Governor Chibuike Amaechi to refrain from using words that could suggest official use of force, Dame Jonathan, a native of Okrika, would also want her kinsmen to see the inherent benefits in rebuilding of the waterfronts.

The President’s wife while reacting to complaints in Okirika over the proposed demolition, charged the state Governor and the Okrika leaders to go into meaningful dialogue on how to amicably resolve the dispute.

She told the governor during an inspection tour of the Model Primary School and Primary Health Centre project sites in the community that land is highly treasured by her people and should therefore be handled with great tact. “Okrika has no land. Any little land they have is very very important - - - I am from here and I know the problem of my people. I don’t want us to go into crisis. We are preaching peace.”

Governor Amaechi had told the First Lady about government’s difficulty in getting the people of the community to allow demolition of the cluster of houses and shops around the two ultra-modern projects even when it had offered relocation of those to be affected.

Later at a reception organized in her honour by the Okrika people, Dame Jonathan while commending the projects, repeated her call for restraint on the part of the government.
“I was overwhelmed to see school and primary health centre built by the governor”.
However, she faulted the governor’s use of the word, “must” in connection with government’s resolve to demolish structures standing in the way of the projects pointing out that, “if you are demolishing a place eternally, you are wiping off that community”.

The First Lady who is a native of Obama in Okrika land harped on the need for the governor to dialogue with the people on the planned demolition.
She urged that the Chairman of the Okirika Local Government Council should seek the opinion of the various traditional chiefs of the areas to be affected and agree on a peaceful way of resolving the matter instead of the use of force.

“What I am telling you is don’t say you must. It is by appeal…. In Okirika, when it comes to land, it is a serious issue. So, it is something you must seek dialogue because we need peace in this community and there must be peace and it is only in peace that we can develop”.
Turning to her people, she assured them that, “they are not sending you on exile but it is by dialogue”.

On the planned demolition of the waterfronts, Dame Jonathan repeated her appeal against official use of force.
While describing the planned development of the waterfronts as commendable, she urged that the owners of the land should benefit from the proposed projects.
“What I believe is that people own those projects and the people need to be allocated some of the buildings.”
However, she passionately appealed to her people and the State government to come together and agree on how to develop the waterfronts.
Speaking on the Okrika visit, the Acting Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Mr. Blessing Wikina told Daily Sun that there was no disagreement between the First Lady and Governor Amaechi on any matter.

Also, he said it was not true that Dame Jonathan canceled her planed visit to the Port Harcourt Prisons because of the alleged disagreement pointing out that she had to put off that final assignment because she was about four hours behind schedule for the programmes scheduled for the final day of the visit.
Re: First Lady scolds governor in public. by DeepSoul(f): 2:54pm On Aug 25, 2010
All of you saying only Okrikans are qualified to answer should go and drink Bundu water side water  grin

Mbuela, you are absolutely correct - he is working hard but the quality of jobs being done is extremely poor. I think the problem is he was trying to "carry everybody along" by giving out jobs to indigenous contractors. However, these so-called indigenes chop the bulk of the money and use the remaining little for very very low quality jobs especially the roads. The road to my house was worked on a few months ago, you should see it now. Kai, I just ordered for a chopper cos I no fit pass the road again.

And for those complaining about the conversion of demolished waterfronts to parking space for Silverbird Cinema, isn't it better? B4 Silverbird went there, that was the headquarters of touts and militants. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Kinezeala:

an illetrate unpolished woman scolding an intellitual governor?
Chai,misplaced power,infact this na power miss road.
grin grin grin grin grin grin
You, Kinezeala just made my day with your intellitual contribution  grin
Re: First Lady scolds governor in public. by MRMoneyE(m): 3:04pm On Aug 25, 2010
@ THE MODERATOR=

Just noticed that the topic of this tread  posted by me has been changed either by the moderator or Seun,   The topic was culled from  The NationaNews Paper so why changed the topic from  ''First Lady scolds governor in public'' TO ''First Lady Corrects Governor About A Sensitive Issue''. Or Is the moderator taking side and defending Its own Interest here, While the Nation Newspaper is not affraid to publish The news with this headline  ''First Lady Corrects Governor About A Sensitive Issue'' i see no reason why you people should have changed the title of my tread? I think the confidence we have in your site to express our opinions will not be eroded,
Thanks.
Re: First Lady scolds governor in public. by Hauwa1: 3:11pm On Aug 25, 2010
she should be looking at Michelle and Laura as a model

areawoman.
Re: First Lady scolds governor in public. by gozzilla(m): 3:18pm On Aug 25, 2010
May be her actions lacked finesse and tack, but you can not deny the fact that she just lent her voice to her people's battle. Now the story is headline news because she spoke about it. Beat that for PR
Re: First Lady scolds governor in public. by mbulela: 3:24pm On Aug 25, 2010
i raised a related issue in my post a few pages back and i want to raise it again because i would like to hear the views of those in and around PH.
I was in PH for a few weeks days back and while i can confirm that Amaechi is working, i am greatly distressed at the quality of work.
All the roads without exception are in very bad states and those that have been constructed barely 6,7 months ago already have huge gulleys dotting them.
Besides awarding huge contracts and being praised to high heavens are the people of PH and Rivers state in general not worried that their money is being spend on sub standard projects (especially the road projects as this is my primary concern and secondly because these are the most expensive)?
are these jobs being awarded to party members and God fathers with no requisite experience in road construction?
is this not as bad as doing nothing?
why suffer so much inconvinence in the name of road construction if the resultant roads will barely last a rainy season?
I hope after the war of waterfronts (watewrside) is settled, it will not go the way of the old teaching hospital?
I doubt anyone will question Amechi's intents and visions, however, the planning and execution is grossly sub-standard.
Re: First Lady scolds governor in public. by Harzan(m): 3:27pm On Aug 25, 2010
MR Money £:

@ THE MODERATOR=

Just noticed that the topic of this tread  posted by me has been changed either by the moderator or Seun,   The topic was culled from  The NationaNews Paper so why changed the topic from  ''First Lady scolds governor in public'' TO ''First Lady Corrects Governor About A Sensitive Issue''. Or Is the moderator taking side and defending Its own Interest here, While the Nation Newspaper is not affraid to publish The news with this headline  ''First Lady Corrects Governor About A Sensitive Issue'' i see no reason why you people should have changed the title of my tread? I think the confidence we have in your site to express our opinions will not be eroded,
Thanks.

@Mr money:
U gad my back on this, these so called moderators are
now failing to do their responsibilities but devoted their time
for unneccesary points- embarassed embarassed
Why changing the topic for crying out loud!!!
Scammers are all over d threads, knowing fully well.
They never touch their post, rather they look @ it and smile.

Tired of dis moderators ooohhhh!!!
 cry cry cry
Re: First Lady scolds governor in public. by EzeUche22(m): 3:32pm On Aug 25, 2010
I still do not appreciate how she was talking to my governor who means business.

The First Lady is not suppose to act like that.
Re: First Lady scolds governor in public. by Nobody: 3:40pm On Aug 25, 2010
gozzilla:

May be her actions lacked finesse and tack, but you can not deny the fact that she just lent her voice to her people's battle. Now the story is headline news because she spoke about it. Beat that for PR

Her action is completely on track and we Okrikans are so proud of her. We natives of Okrika home and abroad knows that Ameachi is playing an Ikwerre script and we will NOT let him have his way. Instead, we will dialogue with him and not accept any "force" just as the First Lady said. In dialogue, we will set out our own conditions, meaning he will play by our rules and whatever agenda he carries will be brought to a halt. I trust my people 4 sure! But if he is bent on doing things forcefully, we will cause anarchy in the state and bring his gov't down, We are not minorities in rivers state to be played on, we are among the majority ethnic group and we always have our way! Ask eleme!!
Re: First Lady scolds governor in public. by Nobody: 3:42pm On Aug 25, 2010
EzeUche22:

I still do not appreciate how she was talking to my governor who means business.

The First Lady is not suppose to act like that.

Tell your governor to find something meaningful to do
Re: First Lady scolds governor in public. by Nobody: 3:43pm On Aug 25, 2010
And how is that supposed to be a correction when our first lady was behaving like a rascal.whoever may have change the topic of the thread is wrong about this.where is democracy if a topic about first lady can be modified.absolute rubbish
Re: First Lady scolds governor in public. by Nobody: 3:52pm On Aug 25, 2010
~Bluetooth:

And how is that supposed to be a correction when our first lady was behaving like a rascal.whoever may have change the topic of the thread is wrong about this.where is democracy if a topic about first lady can be modified.absolute rubbish
Sir, if you like call it rascality, but we the indigenes of Okrika see it as Heroism, That is the beauty of democracy, the wishes of the peole must be heard and respected, Which was exactly what Madam first Lady did,
Re: First Lady scolds governor in public. by EzeUche22(m): 3:53pm On Aug 25, 2010
what.lyf:

Tell your governor to find something meaningful to do

He is doing something meaningful. The man is improving Port Harcourt. What more do you people want?

If I was him, I would not even warn these people that I would be destroying there shacks. I would just demolish it with no regret. And then dare them to do something.
Re: First Lady scolds governor in public. by Nobody: 4:09pm On Aug 25, 2010
what.lyf:

Sir, if you like call it rascality, but we the indigenes of Okrika see it as Heroism, That is the beauty of democracy, the wishes of the peole must be heard and respected, Which was exactly what Madam first Lady did,
And she used the invitation of the governor to display her ''heroism'' ? Where was she all these while that the matter has been going on ?
Re: First Lady scolds governor in public. by Becomrich0: 4:13pm On Aug 25, 2010
you people have got so that that you claim some one is from Obama in Okrika , 419 . You people are scam artist. there likely no sure place as obama.
Re: First Lady scolds governor in public. by Nobody: 4:19pm On Aug 25, 2010
~Bluetooth:

And she used the invitation of the governor to display her ''heroism'' ? Where was she all these while that the matter has been going on ?
The Governor brought it upon himself. He refuses to heed to the first "NO" from the indigenes, It serves him right, Any Okrikan can call his bluff because we (Okrikans) are known for our BRAVERY and collective UNITY! He better respect himself and yeild to her advice/correction. any use of "Force" will unilatery be opposed!
Becomrich0:

you people have got so that that you claim some one is from Obama in Okrika , 419 . You people are scam artist. there likely no sure place as obama.
You Ignorant foo.l, may you along with your generation die of leprosy (amen). Obama town has long been existed, stop being dumb and educate yourself! Idio.t
Re: First Lady scolds governor in public. by tpiah: 4:28pm On Aug 25, 2010
haha

i like the way they retitled this thread.

wasnt the original one "first lady grabs governor by the collar" or something.
Re: First Lady scolds governor in public. by Nobody: 4:29pm On Aug 25, 2010
what.lyf:

The Governor brought it upon himself. He refuses to heed to the first "NO" from the indigenes, It serves him right, Any Okrikan can call his bluff because we (Okrikans) are known for our BRAVERY and collective UNITY! He better respect himself and yeild to her advice/correction. any use of "Force" will unilatery be opposed!You Ignorant foo.l, may you along with your generation die of leprosy (amen). Obama town has long been existed, stop being dumb and educate yourself! Idio.t
Can residents of an area fight a governor simply because he want to bring development to the area ? The fact is that the governor has given them enough time and even plan on relocating them but the people are not ready to comply to his order.there is nothing like ancenstral home in this modern world especially when the environment is developing at a very fast pace.the people are only dragging the state behind in terms of development
Re: First Lady scolds governor in public. by Nobody: 4:44pm On Aug 25, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Can residents of an area fight a governor simply because he want to bring development to the area ? The fact is that the governor has given them enough time and even plan on relocating them but the people are not ready to comply to his order.there is nothing like ancenstral home in this modern world especially when the environment is developing at a very fast pace.the people are only dragging the state behind in terms of development
When has development become by force? Did we stop him from developing other parts? Are the other parts complaining? Whether you call it modern world or not, we will not welcome any form of displacement which is final. We are not ikwerres, he can go ahead and demolish every structure in the Ikwerre part of portharcourt. Anyway the point is, the man is pursuing an ikwerre agenda, but he has failed and will always. He should forcus on other aspect of development or engage in dialoguev(which is the reasonable option). I rest my case
Re: First Lady scolds governor in public. by Nobody: 4:50pm On Aug 25, 2010

Wow ur a funny chap, nothing like ancestral home, guess u got no village, u don't come from any where, you just dropped from heaven, my guess also your not a nigerian, funny chap, are you in port harcourt even, what time has the governor given and relocating them to where, where did he relocate the people residing in njemanze waterfront, what has been done at njemanze waterfront that was demolished, last i checked its now a car park for movie goers, where is the fast pace development, is it in the substandard road constructions or schools that were awarded to cronies, how many of these over 250 modern schools are functioning, your a very funny chap, lol no ancestral home, lol
Re: First Lady scolds governor in public. by komando1: 5:05pm On Aug 25, 2010

Thought Obama Town was in Kalabari. So Dame Patience na Obama sister. Okay oh.Anyway all na Koniju Igbo.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ekiti Begins Payment Of N5,000 As Social Welfare Stipend To 10,000 Residents / Tribunal: Buhari And Atiku Know Fate On 13 September / Peter Obi Mourns Dr. Chike Akunyili

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.