Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,169 members, 7,815,075 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:51 AM

Improving The Career Section - Your Recommendations - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Improving The Career Section - Your Recommendations (7618 Views)

Engineers: Improving Engineering (today's Government) with job opportunities / *~ Chamber2 Voted The Career Section Poster Of The Year 2011~* Congratulations! / *~ Ajanlekoko Voted Career Section's Best Poster Of The Year *~ Congrats!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Improving The Career Section - Your Recommendations by webcomm: 11:32am On Sep 19, 2011
To: Moderator

I noticed that whenever I posted career tips my profile is banned and the post removed. why?
(e.g: How to Apply for a Job When You're Overqualified - which I posted today and was deleted and several others)
Re: Improving The Career Section - Your Recommendations by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 12:32am On Nov 13, 2011
U must have broken the orum rules
Re: Improving The Career Section - Your Recommendations by sheyguy: 8:55am On Nov 14, 2011
Ajanlekoko pls can u xplain the 'mean' post u made in one the thread (How much does NIIT pay?)i started in this section?
That post of yours was really mean without a doubt.
Re: Improving The Career Section - Your Recommendations by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 2:09am On Nov 21, 2011
sad
Re: Improving The Career Section - Your Recommendations by AjanleKoko: 12:50pm On Nov 21, 2011
sheyguy:

Ajanlekoko pls can u xplain the 'mean' post u made in one the thread (How much does NIIT pay?)i started in this section?
That post of yours was really mean without a doubt.

Mean?
I merely said what he was offered was commensurate to what I think he should be earning.
How is that mean?
Re: Improving The Career Section - Your Recommendations by LukeLook: 11:15pm On Dec 02, 2011
Moderator, Justwise and nairalanders I am in desperate need of your opinion. I am in my late 40s. I have a 1st deg in science then trained as desktop repair technician. With this I worked as a 'computer engineer' at a computer firm-repairing desktop computers and doing general maintenance. Later I was to work in an office providing what I would call 'office support' services. I even managed the LAN. I was also the eye of the organizations I work for in dealing with service providers and IT-Upgrades. I have no certification whatsoever and now with the companies restructuring or winding up am left to look 4 a job. I manage 2 complete my masters degree in IT, but stil don't have a clue on the best carrier path. I'll send my cv on request. Please help.
Re: Improving The Career Section - Your Recommendations by LukeLook: 11:15pm On Dec 02, 2011
Will appreciate prompt replies on the best bet in terms of training, certs,mentoring or employment
Re: Improving The Career Section - Your Recommendations by yamakuza: 12:38am On Dec 03, 2011
LukeLook:

Will appreciate prompt replies on the best bet in terms of training, certs,mentoring or employment

You need to open a new thread for this.

Click on CAREER up there, then look for the NEW TOPIC button.
Re: Improving The Career Section - Your Recommendations by Olaone1: 7:59pm On Jan 04, 2012
How many sticky threads do we have in this section?

You can as well reserve Page 1 for sticky threads. undecided undecided
Re: Improving The Career Section - Your Recommendations by yamakuza: 9:45pm On Jan 04, 2012
Ola one:

done!

Will do.

Thanks.
Re: Improving The Career Section - Your Recommendations by DisGuy: 9:36pm On Jan 12, 2012
Ola one:

was just about to say the same thing,

there are too many sticky topics, if you remove some they will float on their own popularity
people will naturally return to topics they are involved in
Re: Improving The Career Section - Your Recommendations by yamakuza: 10:07pm On Jan 12, 2012
Dis Guy:

was just about to say the same thing,

there are too many sticky topics, if you remove some they will float on their own popularity
people will naturally return to topics they are involved in

would lead to people opening duplicate threads, or asking the same questions over and over again.

70% of the stickied threads contain answers to 90% of the questions always asked.

Makes life easier for everyone, i think.
Re: Improving The Career Section - Your Recommendations by violent(m): 12:29am On Mar 01, 2012
I was just about making a comment regarding the sticky thread-ish. Do we really need to have a sticker for every single career path known to man?

I would expect a thread to normally stay afloat on the first page if it generates enough attention and interests from viewers. This idea of having to come back to meet the same old thread lying on the same page gives boring a new meaning!
Re: Improving The Career Section - Your Recommendations by yamakuza: 12:46am On Mar 01, 2012
Its a new month!

We'll unsticky some of them /them all and see how March pans out?

New strategy for April.
Re: Improving The Career Section - Your Recommendations by yamakuza: 10:20am On Mar 01, 2012
violent:

I was just about making a comment regarding the sticky thread-ish.  Do we really need to have a sticker for every single career path known to man?

I would expect a thread to normally stay afloat on the first page if it generates enough attention and interests from viewers.  This idea of having to come back to meet the same old thread lying on the same page gives boring a new meaning!

i dont think its boring because page 1 is reserved for stickies.

I believe its boring because there are very few new posts/threads, if ever.

From my observation, the peeps who frequent here prefer reading to posting.

If it cant become a marketplace, it can at least be a library, IMO.
Re: Improving The Career Section - Your Recommendations by violent(m): 7:09pm On Mar 01, 2012
yamakuza:

i dont think its boring because page 1 is reserved for stickies.

I believe its boring because there are very few new posts/threads, if ever.

From my observation, the peeps who frequent here prefer reading to posting.

If it cant become a marketplace, it can at least be a library, IMO.

I agree, but then again, the usefulness of a library thins out fast if you only get to find the same books on the shelves that has been on the shelf for five years.

Once the front page takes up a whole lot of space, it becomes pretty difficult for new threads to find any space in front and there are many people, me including who don't bother checking page 2 of any section.

but then, perhaps several others have an entirely different opinion.
Re: Improving The Career Section - Your Recommendations by yamakuza: 7:22pm On Mar 01, 2012
15 threads have been unstickied.

23 more unstickied.

@all: hope its better now?
Re: Improving The Career Section - Your Recommendations by yamakuza: 12:54pm On Mar 02, 2012

Hi yamakuza, ur email address is not going, can u give me another email address, tried sending u a mail and it bounced. Thx

u've got mail!
Re: Improving The Career Section - Your Recommendations by violent(m): 10:04pm On Mar 03, 2012
yamakuza:

u've got mail!

Hello Y. .thanks for the your pm, i feel very pleased that someone is coming up with such an idea. However, i feel most of the subject area you touched on should be well handled by an individual with an MBA finance background or someone with a sound business experience. I don't think i fall into either of these categories and this limits the extent i could handle business topics. I will recommend we suggest this idea to either dennee or manny4life, however, I am happy to stick around and make contributions where i feel i could.
Re: Improving The Career Section - Your Recommendations by yamakuza: 10:21pm On Mar 03, 2012
violent:

Hello Y. .thanks for the your pm, i feel very pleased that someone is coming up with such an idea. However, i feel most of the subject area you touched on should be well handled by an individual with an MBA finance background or someone with a sound business experience. I don't think i fall into either of these categories and this limits the extent i could handle business topics. I will recommend we suggest this idea to either dennee or manny4life, however, I am happy to stick around and make contributions where i feel i could.

i'm glad you buy the idea, and i'll PM the people you mentioned as well.

However, as threadstarter, you might not have to field all the questions.

It is expected that others will chip in too as opportunity arises.

You happen to be more available than those you mentioned and while i could start/open the thread, i might not know what areas to include as i am not really from that background.

If say you were to create the thread with a welcome message, i could then PM the url to those you mentioned.
Re: Improving The Career Section - Your Recommendations by manny4life(m): 2:35pm On Mar 06, 2012
@violent and yamakuza,

I feel honored to be sent a message requesting my interest, though you guys have great ideas, however, due to time constraints on my hands, and my sudden low interest in Nairaland, unfortunately, I respectfully decline the availability. Moreover, from time to time, I can share ideas, engage in conversations, answer questions (if I can), but that's about the limit I can go. Again, thank you very much for extending your courtesy to me.
Re: Improving The Career Section - Your Recommendations by yamakuza: 5:39pm On Mar 06, 2012
^ Thanks!

We appreciate the feedback!
Re: Improving The Career Section - Your Recommendations by Skywalker5(m): 4:46pm On Mar 14, 2012
i think job types should be sticky. they should always stay on top. Like IT,HR Managers,Bankers,Engineers, etc. i dont have to keep searching nairaland to find them. like the Networking and virtualiation topic went as far as the 4th page before i could find it.I know a lot of people are not talking now but if it is placed at the top,people can see it and join the discussion.They are not topics that can fade away

1 Like

Re: Improving The Career Section - Your Recommendations by wuwu(m): 7:22am On Apr 03, 2012
Nid info abt joining d navy...wen will d form come out? and what are d tins dat it entails so I would knw wat to do..
Re: Improving The Career Section - Your Recommendations by yamakuza: 9:41pm On Apr 06, 2012
wuwu: Nid info abt joining d navy...wen will d form come out? and what are d tins dat it entails so I would knw wat to do..

1. Open a new thread and ask.

2. Use the searchbox to search for similar topics.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Any Info On Nov 2012 Ican Result / What Is The Salary Level For ABO And BO Levels In UBN / Any ICAN Tutorial Center In Ughelli, Or Warri?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.