Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,003 members, 7,817,967 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:22 AM

God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking (3134 Views)

Reasons Why The FG Should Not Create SEDC / Multiple Accident Cause By Abuja Anti-Hawking Task Force (pics) / Do Not Create Ministry Of Northern Affair, But Cancel Ministry Of Niger Delta. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by throttler(f): 8:54pm On Sep 04, 2010
somebody needs to tell dat lettuce to SHARRRRAP DIA angry.
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by Beaf: 9:10pm On Sep 04, 2010
throttler:

somebody needs to tell dat lettuce to SHARRRRAP DIA angry.

I have never heard anything so immoral, shameful and disgusting in my life!
Lets all pray that we never have misfortune.
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by Harfox: 9:17pm On Sep 04, 2010
He's just a FISH!
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by texazzpete(m): 9:47pm On Sep 04, 2010
You know why there are so many atheists in the world?
Because any time the atheists come forward with clear, logical reasons why they feel God doesn't exist, Christians reply like this
OMG! LOL! Rot in hell you lamer! Burn! Suffer! Satan etc etc

I'm so ashamed of some of my fellow Christians. What the hell do you learn in church if you cannot even string together a rational argument to counter Steve hawking? All the people abusing this man for being crippled are being pathetic.
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by Beaf: 9:54pm On Sep 04, 2010
texazzpete:

You know why there are so many atheists in the world?
Because any time the atheists come forward with clear, logical reasons why they feel God doesn't exist, Christians reply like this
OMG! LOL! Rot in hell you lamer! Burn! Suffer! Satan etc etc

I'm so ashamed of some of my fellow Christians. What the hell do you learn in church if you cannot even string together a rational argument to counter Steve hawking? All the people abusing this man for being crippled are being pathetic.

Exactly! Some of the things said here are so pathetic, but it isn't a Christian problem, its a Nigerian problem. Logic and critical thinking are not taught in schools, as it is in advanced countries, so people go above making random emotional statements and thinking they are somehow connecting with the crowd. It is just pathetic! We need to save the next generation from this self destroying habit.
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by olabukola: 10:08pm On Sep 04, 2010
Yaa prof Hawking created the universe.
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by olabukola: 10:12pm On Sep 04, 2010
texazzpete:

What the hell do you learn in church if you cannot even string together a rational argument to counter Steve hawking?
Do they teach rational argument in church?
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by bawomolo(m): 10:16pm On Sep 04, 2010
i guess it's cool to make fun of the disabled because he has a viewpoint different from yours.

these are our christians with manners and morals o.

Seems like you have been in the West too long. Atheism is on the rise in the West and are the people happy? The answer is NO!

if the west is a sad place to live, why are you there?
why not go back to nigerian paradise with a church/mosque on every block?
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by bawomolo(m): 10:17pm On Sep 04, 2010
olabukola:

then leave the arguments to theologians.
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by presido1: 10:23pm On Sep 04, 2010
"If we discover a complete theory, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason — for then we should know the mind of God.”
This from the same prof in 1988.

In his most famous work "In A Brief History of Time" he did not dismiss the possibility that God had a hand in the creation of the world.

My question is why is he contradicting himself now. is he going senile?
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by texazzpete(m): 10:47pm On Sep 04, 2010
presido1:

"If we discover a complete theory, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason — for then we should know the mind of God.”
This from the same prof in 1988.

In his most famous work "In A Brief History of Time" he did not dismiss the possibility that God had a hand in the creation of the world.

My question is why is he contradicting himself now. is he going senile?

It is only in Nigeria that people are not allowed to change their minds.
The man is a scientist. Every scientist knows that as soon as more compelling information/analysis is available, old theories can easily be modified.
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by texazzpete(m): 10:50pm On Sep 04, 2010
olabukola:

No. You learn enough about Christianity to be able to hold a rational conversation on why you believe in God. Isn't that what evangelism is all about?
You also learn about love and sympathy. Which is why im surprised people here are making snarky comments about his disabilities.
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by presido1: 11:15pm On Sep 04, 2010
texazzpete:

It is only in Nigeria that people are not allowed to change their minds.
The man is a scientist. Every scientist knows that as soon as more compelling information/analysis is available, old theories can easily be modified.
Hahahahaha so we should be expecting something like "Satan created the earth" from him anytime soon. change mind ko change wheelchair ni
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by 4Play(m): 11:23pm On Sep 04, 2010
Religious people can't prove God created the world and atheists can't prove that the world evolved by random chance. Both are 2 sides of the same coin:making emphatic claims about the origins of the universe without empirical proof. Surely the only rational stance is agnosticism.
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by GAR3TH(m): 12:05am On Sep 05, 2010
^^ very true, i remember hearing a guy say "prove that god exist", and the pastor then read a quote from the bible. lol. you can not prove he exist by quoting the bible. thats like saying "i'm not lying" and your proof is your statement "i'm not lying" lol.

as for the scientific "atheists" way of thinking, science have proven religion wrong many times in the past. so they may be right. but science has also been wrong aswell in the past.

as for me am neutral on this issue.
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by Beaf: 12:25am On Sep 05, 2010
I have a physics text book which talks about the boundaries of science in the preface. As far as the book is concerned, there are no boundaries to science, it can explain all except things like, "is there God?"
That in my opinion is a statement of real honesty.

On the other, there are the "scientist" and religious folk who claim to have the explanation of life and creation locked down to the last dot. . . But when you ask that lot, certain questions, they begin to stumble over their tongues. Take the question of life for example; neither science nor religion can define life with any logic, so how can either of these schools talk about creation which is an even deeper question?

In my opinion, it is honest to just say, "I don't know."
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by Nobody: 7:00am On Sep 05, 2010
Stephen Hawkins Has always been a pro creationist. Keep god out of everything and try to think of the universe with an innocent mind:

What created the creator will be a very big question we honestly can't answer. That there was a creator, I don't know. That the creator still lives, I doubt it. That the creator is sacred, I don't know either. Believe it or not there is more than we can see but that doesn't explain God. A black hole swallowing everything sounds credible if we look how big this universe is. How big can God be to create something this Big? Please don't use Man creating Airplanes as analogy.

Time. Have you ever thought of time by examining events (day and night, earth rotation)? You are wrong!. What is Time? Who created Time? What created Time? If time is an illusion why do we age with time?

You can't measure real time, all we do is measure events cause by time. The sun rise and Earth rotation are all events which we use in measuring time but what time? Time is universal right? Then ask your self Earth revolving around the sun makes our one year but that can't be time. Since Mercury has shorter days to make a year, what we are measuring is amount of earth's revolution the earth makes around the sun. The sun doesn't go down so what time are we really dealing with? The earth is moving fine but is the universe moving? Maybe it's too slow to notice but let's assume the universe is moving. Is the slow motion of the universe the cause of earth's rotation? If so, then the sun must move too right? Can anyone prove the sun moves? (That's question). If the Black hole is swallowing stars etc, then where do the stars come from? From Big Bang right but nothing doesn't exist so what formed the rocks? There must have been rocks before the explosion that created the black hole right?

Is time an illusion? All we have is events not time. So is time events? Or Events are used to measure time? But there are new Events occurring in the universe that might never occur again should we call those a measurement for time too?

If we can fully understand the cause of time, I think some of our questions will have answers.

I have a poem for time. (The universal enigma)

Think of rocks turning sand over time. So is time an event or force. Ask yourself that question. Sun rise and sun set are not measurements of time, they are means of measuring events caused by time?

Deep thoughts often end shallow
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by ayo84(m): 9:49am On Sep 05, 2010
i remember hearing a guy say "prove that god exist", and the pastor then read a quote from the bible. lol. you can not prove he exist by quoting the bible. thats like saying "i'm not lying" and your proof is your statement "i'm not lying" lol.

seriously, oh
if one is to do research and really find out about existence of the earth, you will probably dabble into sumerian ancient history which is the basis of what most religious books were made up of.
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by Nobody: 10:17am On Sep 05, 2010
i guess all paraplegics / sufferers of sclerosis or disabling accidents are also cursed by God, not so?

this is the sort of mind set the mad woman of akwa ibom preys on
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by Nobody: 10:21am On Sep 05, 2010
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Hawking

Stephen William Hawking, CH, CBE, FRS, FRSA (born 8 January 1942)[1] is a British theoretical physicist and cosmologist, whose scientific career spans over forty years. His books and public appearances have made him an academic celebrity and he is an Honorary Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts,[2] a lifetime member of the Pontifical Academy of Sciences,[3] and in 2009 was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian award in the United States.[4]

Hawking was the Lucasian Professor of Mathematics at the University of Cambridge for thirty years, taking up the post in 1979 and retiring on 1 October 2009.[5][6] He is also a Fellow of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge and a Distinguished Research Chair at the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in Waterloo, Ontario.[7] He is known for his contributions to the fields of cosmology and quantum gravity, especially in the context of black holes. He has also achieved success with works of popular science in which he discusses his own theories and cosmology in general; these include the runaway best seller A Brief History of Time, which stayed on the British Sunday Times bestsellers list for a record-breaking 237 weeks.[8][9]

Hawking's key scientific works to date have included providing, with Roger Penrose, theorems regarding gravitational singularities in the framework of general relativity, and the theoretical prediction that black holes should emit radiation, which is today known as Hawking radiation (or sometimes as Bekenstein–Hawking radiation).[10]

Hawking has a neuro-muscular dystrophy that is related to amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, a condition that has progressed over the years and has left him almost completely paralysed.
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by bkbabe97y(m): 11:37am On Sep 05, 2010
9jaganja:

Stephen Hawkins Has always been a pro creationist. Keep god out of everything and try to think of the universe with an innocent mind:

What created the creator will be a very big question we honestly can't answer. That there was a creator, I don't know. That the creator still lives, I doubt it. That the creator is sacred, I don't know either. Believe it or not there is more than we can see but that doesn't explain God. A black hole swallowing everything sounds credible if we look how big this universe is. How big can God be to create something this Big? Please don't use Man creating Airplanes as  analogy.

Time. Have you ever thought of time by examining events (day and night, earth rotation)? You are wrong!. What is Time? Who created Time? What created Time? If time is an illusion why do we age with time?

You can't measure real time, all we do is measure events cause by time. The sun rise and Earth rotation are all events which we use in measuring time but what time? Time is universal right? Then ask your self Earth revolving around the sun makes our one year but that can't be time. Since Mercury has shorter days to make a year, what we are measuring is amount of earth's revolution the earth makes around the sun. The sun doesn't go down so what time are we really dealing with? The earth is moving fine but is the universe moving? Maybe it's too slow to notice but let's assume the universe is moving. Is the slow motion of the universe the cause of earth's rotation? If so, then the sun must move too right? Can anyone prove the sun moves? (That's question). If the Black hole is swallowing stars etc, then where do the stars come from? From Big Bang right but nothing doesn't exist so what formed the rocks? There must have been rocks before the explosion that created the black hole right?

Is time an illusion? All we have is events not time. So is time events? Or Events are used to measure time? But there are new Events occurring in the universe that might never occur again should we call those a measurement for time too?

If we can fully understand the cause of time, I think some of our questions will have answers.

I have a poem for time. (The universal enigma)

Think of rocks turning sand over time. So is time an event or force. Ask yourself that question. Sun rise and sun set are not measurements of time, they are means of measuring events caused by time?

Deep thoughts often end shallow

Damn, son, u just turned Dede1, MENTALgong4, JustCash, Andre Uweh, Eziachi and Komando's brains to mush! Imagine their brains trying to comprehend all u just wrote up there!lol
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by MetalGong4: 12:50pm On Sep 05, 2010
bk.babe97y:

Damn, son, u just turned Dede1, MENTALgong4, JustCash, Andre Uweh, Eziachi and Komando's brains to mush! Imagine their brains trying to comprehend all u just wrote up there!lol

It is obvious that you pervert mastur.bate with the above names in you weird fantasy world . . . .   Frigged old Hispanic LovePeddler!!! angry sad
Again, you are a minus one for this world  . . . .  sad sad
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by ayusco: 2:17pm On Sep 05, 2010
as a christian yes i'm dissapionted about hawkings' stance about God and sincerely pray he has a change of heart b4 he passes on whenever that may be, but as a christian and particularly a physically challenged person i'm saddened by the abuse, insults about his disability that are being hurled his way just because he is expressing an opinion(no matter how wrong it is). for all his flaws he is one of the founding fathers of modern day astro-physics and has contributed greatly to the knowledge of the universe as we know it if we can admire and respect wole soyinka who is an athiest as well then we should be tactful in our condemnation, yes disagree with the message don't degrade the messenger cool
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by hercules07: 2:27pm On Sep 05, 2010
Wole Soyinka is not an atheist, please read Ake and Isara.
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by ayusco: 3:23pm On Sep 05, 2010
^^so he believes in God? ok for sake of doubt bill gates nko?
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by texazzpete(m): 3:31pm On Sep 05, 2010
ayusco:

^^so he believes in God? ok for sake of doubt bill gates nko?

Bill Gates is an atheist who does more for charity and for the sick and suffering than 80% of the so-called christians in the world.
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by slap1(m): 4:39pm On Sep 05, 2010
hercules07:

Wole Soyinka is not an atheist, please read Ake and Isara.
Yep! He's a traditionalist, a worshipper of Orisa.
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by bkbabe97y(m): 9:37pm On Sep 05, 2010
texazzpete:

Bill Gates is an atheist who does more for charity and for the sick and suffering than 80% of the so-called christians in the world.

21 gun salute!!!
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by philip0906(m): 10:54pm On Sep 05, 2010
PROVE it.
Y don't u disprove d fact that God exists?
@op
i can only shake my head in absolute pity 4 the being that came up with this theory. . .suffering here and hereafter
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by Onlytruth(m): 11:00pm On Sep 05, 2010
I don't know what created the creator, but I know for sure the creator exists.

I've had a personal encounter to prove that.

Whether you believe it or not is immaterial.
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by Enigma(m): 11:03pm On Sep 05, 2010
One interesting response: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1308599/Stephen-Hawking-wrong-You-explain-universe-God.html

Extract
For years, other scientists have made similar claims, maintaining that the awesome, sophisticated creativity of the world around us can be interpreted solely by reference to physical laws such as gravity.

It is a simplistic approach, yet in our secular age it is one that seems to have resonance with a sceptical public.

But, as both a scientist and a Christian, I would say that Hawking's claim is misguided. He asks us to choose between God and the laws of physics, as if they were necessarily in mutual conflict.

But contrary to what Hawking claims, physical laws can never provide a complete explanation of the universe. Laws themselves do not create anything, they are merely a description of what happens under certain conditions.

What Hawking appears to have done is to confuse law with agency. His call on us to choose between God and physics is a bit like someone demanding that we choose between aeronautical engineer Sir Frank Whittle and the laws of physics to explain the jet engine.

That is a confusion of category. The laws of physics can explain how the jet engine works, but someone had to build the thing, put in the fuel and start it up. The jet could not have been created without the laws of physics on their own - but the task of development and creation needed the genius of Whittle as its agent.

Similarly, the laws of physics could never have actually built the universe. Some agency must have been involved.

To use a simple analogy, Isaac Newton's laws of motion in themselves never sent a snooker ball racing across the green baize. That can only be done by people using a snooker cue and the actions of their own arms.

Hawking's argument appears to me even more illogical when he says the existence of gravity means the creation of the universe was inevitable. But how did gravity exist in the first place? Who put it there? And what was the creative force behind its birth?

Similarly, when Hawking argues, in support of his theory of spontaneous creation, that it was only necessary for 'the blue touch paper' to be lit to 'set the universe going', the question must be: where did this blue touch paper come from? And who lit it, if not God?

Much of the rationale behind Hawking's argument lies in the idea that there is a deep-seated conflict between science and religion. But this is not a discord I recognise.

For me, as a Christian believer, the beauty of the scientific laws only reinforces my faith in an intelligent, divine creative force at work. The more I understand science, the more I believe in God because of my wonder at the breadth, sophistication and integrity of his creation.
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe----prof. Hawking by bawomolo(m): 12:46am On Sep 06, 2010
^^^

how does the writer of that article know God is a male? I guess he/she has seen God personally

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Military Rescues 19 Oil Delta Hostages (With Ex-Militants' Help) / Mrs Dame Patience Jonathan (presidents Wife) And Her Many Errrors! / Lagos returns 3,105 poor persons, lunatics to six states

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.