Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,618 members, 7,813,034 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:14 AM

Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? (6208 Views)

Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) / Map Of Ethnic Groups In Nigeria As It Revolves From 1901- 2015 / Photo : This Lovely Boy Lost His Mum In Today's Bomb Blast ; Identity Unknown (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by AkinEgba: 4:58am On Sep 06, 2010
Please help a brother with some history lessons. Thanks. I do not believe that God created any population of a few hundreds or thousand people. Who really are these our brothers with a population of a few hundreds to a few thousands? For e.g., Igbanke (Edo) Ogori (Kogi). Ishibori (Cross River), etc. Could they be from any of the big or semi big tribes?
Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by adonisgold: 6:24am On Sep 06, 2010
When a tribe migrates from another it creates a different culture and language for itself. After some centuries both languages may become so diverse they wont even understand each other. Some tribes are the product of a blend between two or more different tribes.

1 Like

Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by AkinEgba: 6:28am On Sep 06, 2010
^^^^
How does a tribe create a language of its own if not influenced by others? We all know that learning new Languages as adults is one of the most difficult thing. How can a group of people from a tribe that speaks language X move away from their parent tribe and suddenly begin to speak a new Language, Y?
Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by chyz(m): 6:36am On Sep 06, 2010
Akin-Egba:

Please help a brother with some history lessons. Thanks. I do not believe that God created any population of a few hundreds or thousand people. Who really are these our brothers with a population of a few hundreds to a few thousands? For e.g., Igbanke (Edo) Ogori (Kogi). Ishibori (Cross River), etc. Could they be from any of the big or semi big tribes?

Thank you ive been trying to figure out the same thing, How can your tribe only he in the hundreds and thousands. However, the Igbankes are Igbos. Im still trying to figure out the ogonis.which are "only 500000".
Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by AkinEgba: 6:57am On Sep 06, 2010
^^^^^
Not Ogoni but Ogori (Kogi State)
Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by german007(m): 7:15am On Sep 06, 2010
I often get fascinated by the revelation and existence of certain small tribes. Most of their languages are within the same language families as the bigger well known tribes, but have their own unique cultures.

1 Like

Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by darqly(m): 8:08am On Sep 06, 2010
@ Akin-The ogori-magongo people supposedly have their origins from ife,traced back to one great ancestor named Unagongo. The amazing part is ogori and magongo are 2 seperate entities STILL, with different dialects but shared cultural heritage and traditions. I am magongo, we speak a language called osayin which is quite similar to what some parts of edo yoruba speak. Generally our second language is yoruba, but as i didn't grow up at home, i just have a mishmash of both and speak hausa fluently,having been raised in northern nigeria. Feel free to ask any questions, i'll answer what i can and hazard de rest, lol. Cheers.

3 Likes

Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by Abagworo(m): 12:22pm On Sep 06, 2010
More than half of Nigerian ethnic groups are located in three states-Adamawa,Taraba and Plateau.

1 Like

Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by AkinEgba: 2:09pm On Sep 06, 2010
Abagworo:

More than half of Nigerian ethnic groups are located in three states-Adamawa,Taraba and Plateau.

You missed out Cross River, especially the Northern part.

1 Like

Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by AkinEgba: 2:10pm On Sep 06, 2010
darqly:

@ Akin-The ogori-magongo people supposedly have their origins from ife,traced back to one great ancestor named Unagongo. The amazing part is ogori and magongo are 2 seperate entities STILL, with different dialects but shared cultural heritage and traditions. I am magongo, we speak a language called osayin which is quite similar to what some parts of edo yoruba speak. Generally our second language is yoruba, but as i didn't grow up at home, i just have a mishmash of both and speak hausa fluently,having been raised in northern nigeria. Feel free to ask any questions, i'll answer what i can and hazard de rest, lol. Cheers.

Thanks. Quite informative. Pls, what is the meaning of the word osibinaebi in OGORI language?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by ezeagu(m): 2:15pm On Sep 06, 2010
Akin-Egba:

You missed out Cross River, especially the Northern part.

Forget what you heard, the entire states of Cross River and Akwa Ibom are filled with one ethnic group with petty divisions.

1 Like

Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by ayex0001: 2:15pm On Sep 06, 2010
Small, sometimes unknown tribes of Nigeria-Who really are they?
i dont knw o
Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by AkinEgba: 2:30pm On Sep 06, 2010
ezeagu:

Forget what you heard, the entire states of Cross River and Akwa Ibom are filled with one ethnic group with petty divisions.

Not what I heard but what I know. Northern cross River is a babel of languages.

1 Like

Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by EzeUche22(m): 3:40pm On Sep 06, 2010
ezeagu:

You are not lying. As a native Ibibio speakers, Efik, Ukwa and Annang are dialects of the Ibibio language. An Ibibio speaker can understand these so called "languages" like an English person understand the English being spoken by an American or Canadian.
Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by german007(m): 5:15pm On Sep 06, 2010
A good friend of mine is "Ogoja" another tribe in Cross River state. Very hospitable and lovely people.

cool

1 Like

Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by ezeagu(m): 5:43pm On Sep 06, 2010
Akin-Egba:

Not what I heard but what I know. Northern cross River is a babel of languages.

Name some of the languages.
Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by AkinEgba: 6:07pm On Sep 06, 2010
nkemkol, boki, yakuur, etc

1 Like

Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by AkinEgba: 6:09pm On Sep 06, 2010
german007:

A good friend of mine is "Ogoja" another tribe in Cross River state. Very hospitable and lovely people.

cool

Ogoja, especially those around Ishibori, speaks nkemkol but has another sub dialect spoken by a few others that is significantly different from nkemkol
Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by german007(m): 6:40pm On Sep 06, 2010
My Father is From Edo State. Akoko-Edo region to be precise. (Bordering Ondo state). The town is called Otuo. They speak a language called "Ghotuo"

Very different language to Bini, Esan or Etsakor.

cool

1 Like

Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by seanet03: 6:42pm On Sep 06, 2010
german007:

My Father is From Edo State. Akoko-Edo region to be precise. (Bordering Ondo state). The town is called Otuo. They speak a language called "Ghotuo"

cool

But Akoko Edo people seems to understand Yoruba and also bears Yoruba names
Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by okunoba(m): 6:42pm On Sep 06, 2010
Please move away from that old primitive word called tribe. The modern and progressive term used to describe people of a different culture is ethnicity. Tribe was used in the past to potray us as backward and pre-illiterate. Calling urself tribe is like calling urself primitive.
Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by Nobody: 8:21pm On Sep 06, 2010
okunoba:

Please move away from that old primitive word called tribe. The modern and progressive term used to describe people of a different culture is ethnicity. Tribe was used in the past to potray us as backward and pre-illiterate. Calling urself tribe is like calling urself primitive.

thank you my broda.
Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by bawomolo(m): 8:24pm On Sep 06, 2010
the middle-belt thanks to its fertile land attracted everyone. a curse and a blessing.

1 Like

Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by AndreUweh(m): 8:52pm On Sep 06, 2010
Middle belt is the melting point of Nigerian cultures.

1 Like

Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by german007(m): 9:59pm On Sep 06, 2010
seanet03:

Spot on. We all do, My Middle Name is a Yoruba Name, Surname is also a Yoruba Surname.

Another tribe that fascinates me are the Kwale's of Delta state,  Theire names are Igbo names, but a lot of them can't speak Igbo, a few understand though.

cool
Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 10:09pm On Sep 06, 2010
I am from a tribe.ethnicity of no more than 100,000 located in plateau state. Apart from a few loan words between us and our sourrounding neighbours there is nothing more we share in our cultures. I think due to the mountainous terrain of the middle-belt region and the jungle-like terrain of the south-south region small tribes.ethnicities were are able to survive, unlike other parts of naija which tend to be either dry-like terrain or forrest-like terrain, which are easy for mass assimilation. Its interesting to note that both Usman don Fodio and Queen Amina conquests.jihads stopped in the mountainous-terrain middle-belt. This to me is due to the fact horses, one of the main modes of swift locomotion during those per4ods do not fare well against mountains.

1 Like

Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by AndreUweh(m): 11:13pm On Sep 06, 2010
german007:

Spot on. We all do, My Middle Name is a Yoruba Name, Surname is also a Yoruba Surname.

Another tribe that fascinates me are the Kwale's of Delta state, Theire names are Igbo names, but a lot of them can't speak Igbo, a few understand though.

cool
What they speak in Kwale is Igbo of Ukwuani dialect. In Igboland, there are different variation of dialects and Ukwuani is one of them.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by AkinEgba: 11:35pm On Sep 06, 2010
All: This thread is about small Nigerian ethnicities, not the big ones. Please let us give them a chance to be recognized. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by Oba234: 11:46pm On Sep 06, 2010
german007:

cool

wow, my father told me that my great grandfather is from Akoko-Edo and he migrated to Akoko in Ondo state which is where my father claim as his home. I recently found out that I have current family members that speak the Edo language but I am thinking it is actually Otuo. But my great father considered himself a full blooded yoruba man sha.  Has anyone ever realized that Yoruba in Akoko sounds weird? Don't get me wrong, I grew up speaking that dialect of yoruba, but it wasn't untill after I left Akoko and my accent changed that I began to notice that Akoko yoruba stand apart from any other yoruba I have ever heard.
Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by amazonia(m): 2:42am On Sep 07, 2010
@Dargly
Interesting, i thought you were joking at first . I have not had of Magongo before.
Thank you @poster for suggesting this topic. Hey brothers and sisters , represent,
make your ethnic group known.
Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by chyz(m): 2:52am On Sep 07, 2010
seanet03:

I have a friend from there, Akoko-Edo.They are yoruba but use a few bini words. If u call him yoruba he will staunchly deny it.he says his parents to him if anybody ask u what u are just say ur Edo. Lord knows why.
Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by german007(m): 12:02pm On Sep 07, 2010
chyz:

I have a friend from there, Akoko-Edo.They are yoruba but use a few bini words. If u call him yoruba he will staunchly deny it.he says his parents to him if anybody ask u what u are just say your Edo. Lord knows why.

Lol. Very Interesting. I hate being called Yoruba aswell, though my mum is Yoruba from Ogun state (No disrespect to the Yorubas, they'r a lovely and unique tribe) . I always class myself as being EDO.

The Egun's in Benin Republic also speak Yoruba as a second language.

Just like a lot of the Djerma's in Niger Republic and Kebbi state speak Hausa as a second Language.

cool

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NNPC In Questionable Egina FPSO Award To Samsung / Nnamdi Kanu Visits His Hometown In Abia State, Poses With His Parents (Photos) / List Of Minimum Wages By Countries Of The World.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.