Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,739 members, 7,831,360 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:39 PM

Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? (6223 Views)

Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) / Map Of Ethnic Groups In Nigeria As It Revolves From 1901- 2015 / Photo : This Lovely Boy Lost His Mum In Today's Bomb Blast ; Identity Unknown (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by adonisgold: 8:21am On Sep 08, 2010
chyz:

I have a friend from there, Akoko-Edo.They are yoruba but use a few bini words. If u call him yoruba he will staunchly deny it.he says his parents to him if anybody ask u what u are just say your Edo. Lord knows why.

Akoko Edo is not youruba. It is Edo. There are over 50 different different dialects in Akoko -Edo. Sometimes villages bordering each other cant hear a word of each others language. Because of its geographical proximity to the Yorubas , Yoruba is a kind of Gen lingua Franca to transact biz and trade. Most of the languages have Edo origins and follow certain rules e.g- Omo-child, Amen, Ame, -water. Obo-Hand. The only tribe from Akoko -edo without Edo origins is Igarra. They migrated from the north.
German 007, Otuo is in Owan east LGA. Not akoko -edo. They do share a common boundary though.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by german007(m): 9:32am On Sep 08, 2010
adonisgold:

German 007, Otuo is in Owan east LGA. Not akoko -edo. They do share a common boundary though.

Owan people are classified as "Afemai's". I say Akoko-Edo for ease of understanding as most people know as far as Akoko-edo, Akoko-Edo have their own LGA.

Now wey I know say you be Edo man (or you sabi Edo well well) lol, Otuo nah full Afemai,

Afemai people occupy six local government areas of Edo state: Etsako East, with headquarters in Agenebode, Etsako Central, Etsako West, Owan East, Owan West and Akoko Edo.

cool
Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by jaot: 8:50am On Jun 24, 2019
Pls,help a sister,i need a native speaker from isayin(edo state)precisely.
Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by jaot: 8:57am On Jun 24, 2019
@Darqly can you pls help me with some information on osayin i was told they are from Edo state
Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by Nobody: 9:02am On Jun 24, 2019
YOUR ANSWER IS IN DIVIDE AND RULE TACTICS ISED BY GOWON AS ADVICED BY BRITS AND SOVIET UNION

WE IGBOS KNOWS OUR PEOPLE WHEN THE TIME COMES WE TAKE THEM ALONG EXCEPT THROUGH REFERENDUM THEY CHOOSE TO CONTINUE AS NIGERIANS

such reasonable question though is ANTI FRONT PAGE
Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by darqly(m): 1:53pm On Jun 25, 2019
jaot:
@Darqly can you pls help me with some information on osayin i was told they are from Edo state

I expect there are some in Edo state since they share boundaries with kogi, but they're native to Ogori/magongo. Osayin is the dialect spoken.
Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by food4tot: 4:44pm On Jun 25, 2019
adonisgold:

Akoko Edo is not youruba. It is Edo. There are over 50 different different dialects in Akoko -Edo. Sometimes villages bordering each other cant hear a word of each others language. Because of its geographical proximity to the Yorubas , Yoruba is a kind of Gen lingua Franca to transact biz and trade. Most of the languages have Edo origins and follow certain rules e.g- Omo-child, Amen, Ame, -water. Obo-Hand. The only tribe from Akoko -edo without Edo origins is Igarra. They migrated from the north.

Language is dynamic and words are borrowed or shared between any interacting groups

In Yoruba,
Omo - child,
Omi - water
Owo/Apa - Hand.

In Ibo,
Nwa - child,
Mmiri - water
Aka - Hand.

In Hausa,
Yaro - child,
Ruwa - water
Hannu - Hand.

Why would you insist that these words (Omo, Ame, Obo) can only have Edo origin? The only thing I see is that they are far from Hausa but close to Yoruba

2 Likes

Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by DonJossydirich(m): 5:34pm On Jun 25, 2019
Abagworo:
More than half of Nigerian ethnic groups are located in three states-Adamawa,Taraba and Plateau.
Gwoza local gov't in Borno state has more than 12 ethnic groups but speaks hausa,as a general language.

1 Like

Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by darqly(m): 3:40am On Jul 02, 2019
jaot:
Pls,help a sister,i need a native speaker from isayin(edo state)precisely.

Oh Edo state, so sorry but that's not me then! Wish I could help though.
Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by Born2Breed(f): 4:49am On Jul 02, 2019
food4tot:

Language is dynamic and words are borrowed or shared between any interacting groups

In Yoruba,
Omo - child,
Omi - water
Owo/Apa - Hand.

In Ibo,
Nwa - child,
Mmiri - water
Aka - Hand.

In Hausa,
Yaro - child,
Ruwa - water
Hannu - Hand.

Why would you insist that these words (Omo, Ame, Obo) can only have Edo origin? The only thing I see is that they are far from Hausa but close to Yoruba

..and your point is?
Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by oyatz(m): 6:12am On Jul 02, 2019
The point is most Southern tribes are all related.

Born2Breed:

..and your point is?

Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by shadeyinka(m): 6:30am On Jul 02, 2019
How true is it that Bauchi State has more than 40 indigenous languages cultures?

I am sad that most of the Northern minority cultures are disappearing by the droves.

I have lived in Abuja in the last four years and I don't know what "Good Morning;" sounds like in Gbagi language. Hausa and English seem to be the Lingua Franca of Abuja.

1 Like

Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by food4tot: 1:05pm On Jul 02, 2019
Born2Breed:

..and your point is?

Check the last sentence in my post.
Very sorry, I can't help you if you can't read. grin grin
Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by Born2Breed(f): 1:12pm On Jul 02, 2019
oyatz:
The point is most Southern tribes are all related.

That's not his point.

The idiot actually meant those words are more yoruboid than Edoid.

Òmò
Ämen
Obò

Are not borrowed words, they are originally Edo words.
Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by Nobody: 1:26pm On Jul 02, 2019
Born2Breed:

..and your point is?
Point is Edo is yoruba land.
There are things you can't deny or subdue forever

Can't you see the near over 80 percent simili between those words?
Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by Born2Breed(f): 1:28pm On Jul 02, 2019
Juliusmalema:

Point is Edo is yoruba land.

There are things you can't deny or subdue forever

Can't you see the near over 80 percent simili between those words?

Is like saying your father is your son.

If you agree to the above then I rest my case.

2 Likes

Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by Nobody: 1:29pm On Jul 02, 2019
german007:

Lol. Very Interesting. I hate being called Yoruba aswell, though my mum is Yoruba from Ogun state (No disrespect to the Yorubas, they'r a lovely and unique tribe) . I always class myself as being EDO.

The Egun's in Benin Republic also speak Yoruba as a second language.

Just like a lot of the Djerma's in Niger Republic and Kebbi state speak Hausa as a second Language.

cool

Don't hate to cause tension.

Edo is yorubaland or should I say an arm of yorubaland. This is simple, there are wide similarities in language, culture even dressing. Edos can be seen as a sub group of Yorubas because both share striking similarities in all facets of life, even politically Edo is on same page with Yorubas...

You be Yoruba Abeg.

1 Like

Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by Nathaniel79(m): 1:32pm On Jul 02, 2019
In Benue you have the Igede, Agatu, Etulo, Nyifon speakers who are much fewer than the main Tiv and Idoma..
Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by Nobody: 1:32pm On Jul 02, 2019
AkinEgba:
Please help a brother with some history lessons. Thanks. I do not believe that God created any population of a few hundreds or thousand people. Who really are these our brothers with a population of a few hundreds to a few thousands? For e.g., Igbanke (Edo) Ogori (Kogi). Ishibori (Cross River), etc. Could they be from any of the big or semi big tribes?

Anyway Igbanke are edos are far as they are there and edo in turn are Yorubas ...

in cross river, diverse languages but same lining...in ogori( There are simply two sub division there, where some have links with Yorubas, others are hausa/fulani).
Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by Nobody: 1:36pm On Jul 02, 2019
Born2Breed:

Is like saying your father is your son.

If you agree to the above then I rest my case.

Not possible, how can you say Yorubas are Edos... who will accept such analogy or history...?

I have seen many Edo names, same as Yorubas even some has more than one.

The point is that the striking similarities is too much to be differentiated and this will force many to arrive conclusively that Edos are simply Yoruba people who found themselves in Edo state.
Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by Born2Breed(f): 2:02pm On Jul 02, 2019
Juliusmalema:

Not possible, how can you say Yorubas are Edos... who will accept such analogy or history...?

The point is that the striking similarities is too much to be differentiated and this will force many to arrive conclusively that Edos are simply Yoruba people who found themselves in Edo state.

Stop displaying your ignorance in public.

Do you even read or are you just being silly?

Where in the present yorubaland did the Edos migrated from.?

When and how?

The only relationship the Edo(Igodomigodo) had with Ife(the word Yoruba was not even in existence then) was in the exchange of their Princes( One became Oduduwa and the returnee was Oramiyan).
Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by Nobody: 2:06pm On Jul 02, 2019
Juliusmalema:

The word Yoruba is less than 200 years old.
Nobody was identified as Yoruba when the first literate visitors to west Africa arrived. But guess what they saw: the great Oba of Benin ruling over a vast empire.
What you call yorubaland is shown on precolonial maps as being part of Benin empire. Edo means citizen of Benin kingdom. What does Yoruba mean ? To the best of my recollection, yarib.a was a haussa slang to identify Oyo citizens. Then somewhere along the line some people started saying Yoruba instead and then for political reasons, many ethnicities like the Jebu were added to what you call Yoruba. In other words Yoruba is a fake tribe.

http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b77595185.r=Benin?rk=21459;2

http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b7759521n.r=Benin?rk=21459;2

An other map of Benin made in the 17th century once again:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b530530714.r=Benin?rk=214593;2

An other map of Benin from the 17th century:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8595583b.r=Benin?rk=193134;0

This one date to the 19th century:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8469390z/f1.item

You yarib.a need to lay off your ethnocentric beliefs and accept reality. The world doesn't revolve around you. Ask yourself one thing: howcome nobody in the middle ages saw you as important enough to write about you ?
Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by Nobody: 2:12pm On Jul 02, 2019
Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by Nobody: 2:12pm On Jul 02, 2019
Born2Breed:

Stop displaying your ignorance in public.

Do you even read or are you just being silly?

Where in the present yorubaland did the Edos migrated from.?

When and how?

The only relationship the Edo(Igodomigodo) had with Ife(the word Yoruba was not even in existence then) was in the exchange of their Princes( One became Oduduwa and the returnee was Oramiyan).

Anyway won't argue much buy just checked Wikipedia and it was indicated that Yorubas are related ethnic group to edos...

I don't know but the similarities is much Sha.
Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by Nobody: 2:13pm On Jul 02, 2019
Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by Nobody: 2:14pm On Jul 02, 2019
Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by Born2Breed(f): 2:19pm On Jul 02, 2019
Juliusmalema:

Anyway won't argue much buy just checked Wikipedia and it was indicated that Yorubas are related ethnic group to edos...

I don't know but the similarities is much Sha.

Wikipedia!!?

Good day gentleman!
Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jul 02, 2019
prolog3111:

The word Yoruba is less than 200 years old.
Nobody was identified as Yoruba when the first literate visitors to west Africa arrived. But guess what they saw: the great Oba of Benin ruling over a vast empire.
What you call yorubaland is shown on precolonial maps as being part of Benin empire. Edo means citizen of Benin kingdom. What does Yoruba mean ? Yo the best of my recollection, Yoruba was a haussa slang to identify Oyo citizens. Then somewhere along the light some people started saying Yoruba instead and then for political reasons, many ethnicity like the Jebu were added to what you call Yoruba. In other words Yoruba is a fake tribe.

http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b77595185.r=Benin?rk=21459;2

http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b7759521n.r=Benin?rk=21459;2

An other map of Benin made in the 17th century once again:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b530530714.r=Benin?rk=214593;2

An other map of Benin from the 17th century:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8595583b.r=Benin?rk=193134;0

This one date to the 19th century:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8469390z/f1.item

You yarib.a need to lay off your ethnocentric beliefs and accept reality. The world doesn't revolve around you. Ask yourself one thing: howcome nobody in the middle ages saw you as important enough to write about you ?

What do you mean by fake tribe.

The names u bear, language similarities.

am fully aware you not giving us distorted his to prove your point. and apart from language , name and culture edos have same kingship title as Yorubas e.g Oba.

My brother in light of understanding, edos are just Yorubas....just accept that fact.
Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by Nobody: 2:32pm On Jul 02, 2019
Born2Breed:

Wikipedia!!?

Good day gentleman!

Yes Wikipedia.

One thing is certain sis, there might be a a conflict somewhere but edos and Yorubas are like Siamese twins even politically.
Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by Nobody: 2:37pm On Jul 02, 2019
Juliusmalema:

What do you mean by fake tribe.

The names u bear, language similarities.

am fully aware you not giving us distorted his to prove your point. and apart from language , name and culture edos have same kingship title as Yorubas e.g Oba.

My brother in light of understanding, edos are just Yorubas....just accept that fact.
It seems to me that you are very ignorant. None of your Yoruba chiefs were called Oba until late in the colonial era when the ooni of ife copied it. Indeed, early in the colonial era, the ooni of ife and other Yoruba chiefs were addressed in this fashion: "Ooni of ife, sir obasanjo" late in the colonial era, the word Oba (title of the king of Benin) replaced the word sir, this changed the formulation to: "ooni of ife, Oba obasanjo".
If you want to accuse me of falsifying anything then point out something and prove any falsification. I only brought original sources to you. Yoruba madness makes you guys constantly defy logics.
Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by huptin(m): 2:49pm On Jul 02, 2019
ezeagu:

Forget what you heard, the entire states of Cross River and Akwa Ibom are filled with one ethnic group with petty divisions.

I served in cross river, Obudu to be precise, what you wrote is not correct
Re: Small, sometimes unknown ethnic groups of Nigeria-Who really are they? by Nobody: 2:50pm On Jul 02, 2019
prolog3111:
It seems to me that you are very ignorant. None of your Yoruba chiefs were called Oba until late in the colonial era when the ooni of ife copied it. Indeed, early in the colonial era, the ooni of ife and other Yoruba chiefs were addressed in this fashion: "Ooni of ife, sir obasanjo" late in the colonial era, the word Oba (title of the king of Benin) replaced the word sir, this changed the formulation to: "ooni of ife, Oba obasanjo".
If you want to accuse me of falsifying anything then point out something and prove any falsification. I only brought original sources to you. Yoruba madness makes you guys constantly defy logics.

Alright but can't argue u again, u too harsh with words but come what may, you are a Yoruba man.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Don’t Negotiate With Boko Haram, Us, Eu Warn Fg / Nigerians In New York Plan To #occupynigeria House On January 10th? / South Africa Uses Yellow Fever To Embarrass Nigeria - Shehu Malami

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.