Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,069 members, 7,814,698 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:38 PM

Students Disrupt Ibb Camapign Again In Abeokuta - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Students Disrupt Ibb Camapign Again In Abeokuta (8918 Views)

Militants Disrupt Elections In South Ijaw / Jonathan's Campaign Office Accused Of Releasing $20,000 To Disrupt Buhari's Talk / PHCN Workers Move To Disrupt Electricity Supply (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Students Disrupt Ibb Camapign Again In Abeokuta by OAM4J: 3:52pm On Sep 09, 2010
Good one!

another handwriting on the wall for IBB. But I doubt he is smart/awake enough to understand it.
Re: Students Disrupt Ibb Camapign Again In Abeokuta by Pukkah: 3:57pm On Sep 09, 2010
hambehsam:

Pay back time for the students, this time around  Prof.Attahiru Jega, is the umpire. In 1991/1992 as chairman of ASUU the then Dr. Jega led ASUU on a strike that lasted more than 10 months at a stretched to demand for better condition of service in our universities. Then IBB was the Head of state. Now it is pay back time, IBB has nothing to offer this country, he is too old to govern us. Let him go and rest or is he BROKE ?

Mr Babangida has no love for Nigerians.  He experimented and toyed with the country endlessly. He was usually quick to unleash armed security men on students and protesters, killing and wounding many in the process.  He hated opposition, stifled freedom, and muzzled the press.  Ironically, he's enjoying that same freedom to stand elections. Oh, never again should Nigeria have the misfortune to be under the (mis)leadership of Mr Babangida.

Nigeria needs someone with a clear head, who has the wherewithal to release the socio-economic and political potentials that have been locked since 1960.  We must catch up with the rest of the world who have hitherto left us behind. Nigerians have suffered enough.
Re: Students Disrupt Ibb Camapign Again In Abeokuta by anonimi: 4:04pm On Sep 09, 2010
RSPV

Register
S[/b]elect (your candidates)
[b]P[/b]articpate (in their campaign)
[b]V[/b]ote

Let this be our motto for this election period.
[b]Copy and text
the motto to as many as possible on your GSM and several times during the voter registration period.
One Man, One Vote!!!
Re: Students Disrupt Ibb Camapign Again In Abeokuta by Olaolufred(m): 4:09pm On Sep 09, 2010
@ Pukkah,

Mr Babangida has no love for Nigerians. He experimented and toyed with the country endlessly. He was usually quick to unleash armed security men on students and protesters, killing and wounding many in the process. He hated opposition, stifled freedom, and muzzled the press. Ironically, he's enjoying that same freedom to stand elections. Oh, never again should Nigeria have the misfortune to be under the (mis)leadership of Mr Babangida.
Nigeria needs someone with a clear head, who has the wherewithal to release the socio-economic and political potentials that have been locked since 1960. We must catch up with the rest of the world who have hitherto left us behind. Nigerians have suffered enough.

I respect your reasoning. I can Vote for a northern Nigerian candidate with good programm and reputation. But IBB is no candidate.

It is a pity that these rogues(IBB and Atiku) are blocking the chances of better northeners.

North should carry out a thorough search and give Nigerians a Candidate we can vote for. Not these Demons.
Re: Students Disrupt Ibb Camapign Again In Abeokuta by Pukkah: 4:10pm On Sep 09, 2010
anonimi:

RSVP

Register
S[/b]elect (your candidates)
[b]P[/b]articpate (in their campaign)
[b]V[/b]ote

Let this be our motto for this election period.
[b]Copy and text
the motto to as many as possible on your GSM and several times during the voter registration period.
One Man, One Vote!!!

You are right. We have to do things differently (by becoming more involved) in order to expect a different (free and fair election) result.
Re: Students Disrupt Ibb Camapign Again In Abeokuta by Nobody: 4:37pm On Sep 09, 2010
smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley Well done guys smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley I need to send you guys some more Remy Martins/ tequila in solid platinum and white gold for good job, grin grin grin IBB got PHD on edioticism,

So guys who's venue is next smiley
Re: Students Disrupt Ibb Camapign Again In Abeokuta by anonimi: 4:39pm On Sep 09, 2010
The Babangida years

By Tolu Ogunlesi
April 17, 2010 10:36PM  

In his first New Year Days speech as military president, months after deposing the Buhari-Idiagbon government in a bloodless coup enthusiastically welcomed by Nigerians, Ibrahim Babangida declared: I wish to reaffirm that this administration does not intend to stay in power a day longer than is required to lay the necessary institutional framework to bring about a better and more stable Nigeria. Babangidas bonhomie (its trademark an endearing gap-toothed smile) - in stark contrast to the stern, unsmiling façade of Muhammadu Buhari, his predecessor - made it easy for him to be believed.
The distinction between the two regimes in fact ran much deeper than personality quirks. Babangida, in action, proved to be the complete antithesis of his predecessor. He threw open prison doors, setting free hundreds of 3rd republic politicians convicted and jailed by Buhari. He repealed the obnoxious Decree No. 4 of 1984 with which the Buhari regime had shackled the media. He promised to run an open administration that is responsive to the yearnings and aspirations of all the people - a departure from the high-handedness of the Buhari/Idiagbon era.
One of his first actions as military president was to allow Nigerians to decide, through public debates, whether to accept the $2.5 billion International Monetary Fund (IMF) loan the Buhari government had been negotiating for.
After the terror of the Buhari years, Nigerians appeared to have found a statesman in military uniform.

Tough times that lasted

By 1985, Nigerias foreign debt had ballooned to $18 billion, up from $3.4 billion in 1980 (it would rise beyond $30 billion by the end of the 80s), and external reserves had dwindled to less than $2 billion. Oil prices had been in freefall for 3 years running, and in January 1986 they finally fell to less than $20 per barrel, a record low since the start of the decade.
To his credit Babangida made all the right noises about revamping the economy. In his Independence Day 1985 speech, barely two months old in office, he declared a state of economic emergency for the next 15 months. That speech went on to lay down a comprehensive plan for economic reconstruction.
This plan included a moratorium on new foreign debt, promotion of agriculture and industrial development, restriction of importation to essential commodities, financial sector reform and privatisation.

Populist leanings

IBB was a master of the populist move - ambitious government programs targeted at tackling poverty, and empowering rural dwellers. His government churned out program after program, in a bid to actualize his promises to run an inclusive, people-facing government. In 1986, Babangida launched the Mass Mobilization for Self Reliance, Social Justice, and Economic Recovery (MAMSER).
In 1987, the Directorate of Food and Rural Infrastructure (DFFRI) was launched to promote agriculture and transform Nigerias rural landscape by providing modern infrastructure. Other Babangida creations include the National Directorate of Employment (NDE), National Economic Reconstruction Fund (NERFUND), Peoples Bank of Nigeria (PBN), National Board for Community Banks (NBCB), Nigerian Deposit Insurance Corporation (NDIC), Nigeria Export-Import Bank (NEXIM), National Planning Commission (NPC), and the Urban Development Bank.
No other Nigerian government presided over such substantial expansion of government bureaucracy as the Babangida administration. In time, the fiscal prudence that Babangida espoused vanished: billions of naira were sunk into an endless transition programme, and in the early 90s, 12 billion dollars worth of windfall crude oil revenue (courtesy of the rise in the oil prices due to the Gulf War) could not be accounted for.
Mr. Babangida also came to perfect the art of dispensing patronage through political appointments (mostly targeted at leading members of the opposition) and a far-from-transparent allocation of lucrative oil blocks.

A man whose words mean nothing

Mr. Babangidas contradictions eventually overwhelmed his reputation so that when, in May 1993, the activist and lawyer Gani Fawehinmi described him as a man whose words mean nothing to him, evidence of this littered his eight years in power.
Only months after vowing to run a government by consultation with the people, Mr. Babangida in 1986 surreptitiously - and unilaterally - took Nigeria, an avowed secular state, into full membership of the Organisation of Islamic Conference (OIC), a body which describes itself as the collective voice of the Muslim world.
Mr. Babangida lamented the large role played by the public sector in economic activity with hardly any concrete results to justify such a role.Ironically, over the course of the next five years, he would go ahead to supervise an unprecedented expansion of government. And despite his deference to the wish of Nigerians to reject the IMF loan, Mr. Babangida went ahead to implement some of the Funds most drastic requirements - a devaluation of the naira, and removal of subsidies, chief of which were the petroleum subsidies.
Mr. Babangida promised Nigerians that the belt-tightening was sorely needed: the painful injection that would usher in vibrant economic health; the mandatory dark lining before a cloud of prosperity. Those reforms, which he christened Structural Adjustment Programme (SAP), came into effect in 1986, with a far-from-pleasant impact on Nigerians. Purchasing powers dwindled, inflation rose, and the obliteration of the middle class began. In 1989, SAP riots rocked the country, as Nigerians had finally had enough of economic reforms which silver lining they waited in vain for.

Greatest failings

Mr. Babangidas greatest failings were however in two key areas: his human rights record, and his political transition programme. In December 1985, a group of soldiers, which included his close friend, Mamman Vatsa, were arrested on allegations of plotting to topple the 4-month old Babangida government. After Vatsa was convicted and sentenced to death, Mr. Babangida assured a delegation of distinguished writers (Wole Soyinka, Chinua Achebe and J.P. Clark), which had come pleading for mercy, that he was determined to do everything in my power to save (Vatsa).
Hours later, Vatsa and the other alleged plotters were executed.
As opposition to Mr. Babangidas rule grew, so did his intolerance for dissent, so that he routinely shut down or proscribed media houses; and harassed journalists, civil society and labour groups using the instruments of state (the State Security Service, Directorate of Military Intelligence and the Police).
In 1986, five students of the Ahmadu Bello University were murdered when mobile policemen invaded the campus to quell anti-IMF protests. He also promulgated a series of draconian decrees targeted at quelling all opposition, and on occasion did not hesitate to deport foreign critics (University lecturer Patrick Wilmot and journalist William Keeling).
In October 1986, frontline journalist Dele Giwa was murdered by a letter bomb in Lagos. Preliminary police investigations stated that senior officers of Mr. Babangidas intelligence services, who had hounded Giwa in his final days, had questions to answer regarding Giwas death. The mystery of the Giwa assassination remains unsolved till date.

An interminable journey

A maddeningly convoluted transition programme, whose terminal date soon became a mirage - first 1990, then 1992, and then 1993 - is one of the most significant things Babangida will be remembered for.
Early on in his administration, Mr. Babangida inaugurated a Political Bureau to kick off, as it were, the national debate on a viable future political ethos and structure for our dear country.
The political bureau was soon followed by a Constituent Assembly, which in 1989 fashioned a new constitution for the country.
Also, in 1989, he created, by presidential fiat, two political parties, the Social Democratic Party and the National Republican Convention. Then in 1991, he released a controversial list of prominent politicians whom he said were banned from participating in the transition programme.
In October 1992, he cancelled the results of the parties presidential primaries, causing new primaries to be held in March 1993. And then in June 1993 he annulled the results of the presidential elections, presumed to have been won by billionaire businessman MKO Abiola.

This was the final straw
By this time, Nigerians had finally had enough of his shenanigans, and violent protests forced him to step aside on August 27, 1993,My colleagues and I are determined to change the course of history, Mr. Babangida told Nigerians in his maiden speech as Head of State, on August 27, 1985.
By the time he reluctantly relinquished power exactly eight years later, he had achieved that goal, far more successfully than he, or anyone else, could ever have imagined.

Source: Next
====================

The Holy Book says "my people perish for lack of knowledge".
Will you allow 150m of us (Nigerians) perish or will you ALSO forward this article on the (mis) deeds of our self-proclaimed "evil genius" to all Nigerians that you know
Will you help confirm "maradona" IBB's claim (in Germany in the 90s during one of his radiculopathy treatment trips) that we, his fellow citizens are "docile" (MUGUs) by not sharing this mail
Find a way to get involved at all levels- local, state and federal- this election period for a better Nigeria!!!
Re: Students Disrupt Ibb Camapign Again In Abeokuta by alorax2(f): 4:50pm On Sep 09, 2010
enough is enough,
no more suffering and smiling situation or sidon look abeg it is only us the youth who can make a change after all we are still young.

why should i suffer as a kid and now if the evil genius is elected, i will now suffer as a youth haba, o to ge, ozuo la.

fafafa foul, IBB must not contest, is the blood he spilled not enough? this is wickedness and that Idiot saying Goodluck should respect Zoning.

please don't destroy Nigeria. the innocent lives IBB slaughtered like chickens are still begging for justice.

we the real Nigerians say "NO MORE"
Re: Students Disrupt Ibb Camapign Again In Abeokuta by funkybaby(f): 4:53pm On Sep 09, 2010
REALITY101:

smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley Well done guys smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley I need to send you guys some more Remy Martins/ tequila in solid platinum and white gold for good job, grin grin grin IBB got PHD on edioticism,

So guys who's venue is next smiley

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Students Disrupt Ibb Camapign Again In Abeokuta by kkkossy(m): 5:20pm On Sep 09, 2010
even at the threshold of his rejection by the masses, he`s still pushing it. That dude is sick.
Re: Students Disrupt Ibb Camapign Again In Abeokuta by chibest5(m): 5:21pm On Sep 09, 2010
Let him (IBB) tell Nigerians what he is coming back to do when he was practically forced out of office in his time as a President of this Country.
Re: Students Disrupt Ibb Camapign Again In Abeokuta by Nobody: 5:54pm On Sep 09, 2010
IBB brings out the bad in me. Everytime I think of him, I imagine myself by the window of an isolated room with a sniper rifle for my hand, waiting for him to leave a building or enter his moto.
Re: Students Disrupt Ibb Camapign Again In Abeokuta by gregg2: 6:02pm On Sep 09, 2010
This man legalized corruption in Nigeria
Re: Students Disrupt Ibb Camapign Again In Abeokuta by playmode(m): 6:06pm On Sep 09, 2010
I wonder why Jonathief has not arrested this clown already. It is only in Nigeria where a man like babangida can roam free without any fear.

I call on Jonathief to prove that you are for real, arrest babangida ,obasanjo and prosecute them.

Story story, story , na today.  grin
Re: Students Disrupt Ibb Camapign Again In Abeokuta by fredoooooo: 6:07pm On Sep 09, 2010
that man is intelligent he knows the right place to go in the southwest , Ogun state , hahhahahahahahaa
Re: Students Disrupt Ibb Camapign Again In Abeokuta by chrisical(m): 6:29pm On Sep 09, 2010
Babangida had better prepare for more campaigne distruptions.
Re: Students Disrupt Ibb Camapign Again In Abeokuta by mykali(m): 7:36pm On Sep 09, 2010
You guys are just talking too much. . .just bring some huge amount of money lemme use it to get one Refined Hitman from the Russian KGB and ''Baba Nkita'' will be no more
Re: Students Disrupt Ibb Camapign Again In Abeokuta by member479760: 8:22pm On Sep 09, 2010
IBB - RIP
Re: Students Disrupt Ibb Camapign Again In Abeokuta by Nobody: 8:30pm On Sep 09, 2010
mykali:

You guys are just talking too much. . .just bring some huge amount of money lemme use it to get one Refined Hitman from the Russian KGB and ''Baba Nkita'' will be no more

LOL cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool
Re: Students Disrupt Ibb Camapign Again In Abeokuta by Nobody: 10:51pm On Sep 09, 2010
They probably weren't given enough cash cool
Re: Students Disrupt Ibb Camapign Again In Abeokuta by kulutempa: 11:06pm On Sep 09, 2010
IBB is like a dirty dog returning to its vomit. Only in Nigeria could a devious shamelessly corrupt individual even think of contesting an election. I think he needs to be medically examined because he must be either senile or insane or both.
Re: Students Disrupt Ibb Camapign Again In Abeokuta by ndigbo: 11:32pm On Sep 09, 2010
Mr. IBB, this is just the Genesis, stay tuned. There is no hiding place for the wicked. Be it on facebook, youtube and even physically we are out for you. U.seless old f.ool. Aluta continua my fellow Nigerian students. Greatest Nigerian Stuuuudentssss. Let's go there
Re: Students Disrupt Ibb Camapign Again In Abeokuta by Nobody: 3:44am On Sep 10, 2010
I am filled with joy with what I have read so far.

My only prayer is that it doesn't stop here.

Let's not allow those innocent ones who lost their lives,

Fighting for this cause (a great Nigeria),

Go unpunished!

I still believe that one day Nigeria will be great, Africa in general,

And the West will run to us for help!

P.S. And the stone which the builder rejected, will become the head-corner stone Amen!
Re: Students Disrupt Ibb Camapign Again In Abeokuta by lasunray(m): 3:52am On Sep 10, 2010
hey Adeyemi,hpe our Aluta buses were not vandalizd?
I'd ve joind u guys bt i traveld,
@poster its nt 'UNAB' its 'UNAAB' (Agric Abeokuta)
Re: Students Disrupt Ibb Camapign Again In Abeokuta by oladayo042: 8:09am On Sep 10, 2010
Does IBB think we suffer from chronic amnesia? I doubt if IBB has a conscience
Re: Students Disrupt Ibb Camapign Again In Abeokuta by Tophin(m): 8:31am On Sep 10, 2010
History has shown that men have learnt nothing from history. Why are some people still ignorant , IBB HAVE FILCH MANY PEOPLE HEART

GREAT NIGERIAN STUDENT, CUDOX TO ALL THE THE INSTITUTION IN OGUN STATE

OTHER STATE INSTITUTION SHOULD EMULATE THEM, IT OUR TIME TO FIGHT FOR JUSTICE
Re: Students Disrupt Ibb Camapign Again In Abeokuta by Nobody: 11:19am On Sep 10, 2010
Let us control our sentiments, n show IBB & his people that Nigeria is greater than any group of people. No violence. We should allow him to spend some of his loot on his wild goose chase of becoming a president of a Nation he does not believe in. Let us give him a heart-attack through our voting power!
Re: Students Disrupt Ibb Camapign Again In Abeokuta by Anglemike: 1:13pm On Sep 10, 2010
Nigeria need a young and focus leader. not ibb for God seek. ibb should not disturbe himself and nigerian. smiley
Re: Students Disrupt Ibb Camapign Again In Abeokuta by Nobody: 1:24pm On Sep 10, 2010
We have to be careful in this country. Now it is very cool to violently disrupt the activities of those who campaign for IBB. I also hear that MEND have declared Raymond Dokpessi persona non-grata in the Niger-Delta.

Folks must remember that nobody has monopoly of violence. What if Boko Haram decide to terrorise all supporters on Jonathan or any Southerner in the North?? We will simply have catalysis in our hands.

The Jonathan Presidency and Campaign should rise to the occassion and condemn this kind of behaviour.

The best way to stop any candidate is to vote against them. Bullying people who vote or support certain candidates is TERRORISM.
Re: Students Disrupt Ibb Camapign Again In Abeokuta by kettykings: 1:29pm On Sep 10, 2010
@ posters some people have very poor sense of history, IBB for sure will lose in the southwest but what if the whole northwest , north east vote him , remember he is from the middle belt , so middle bet might be split between GEJ and IBB , he could decide to pick a rivers igbo , delta igbo or south east igbo as his vice that will split the vote of south south and southe east between GEJ and IBB. At the end of the day the election might go into a run off with even more dire consequences for GEJ.

Political intolerance might not pay you yorubas if IBB wins and it is not as if the south west has any special thing or asset as such just that makes them indipensable like niger delta  just some relic  , overcongested semblance of a commercial capital which can be relocated to other friendlier states that has costal waters or river ports.

The game is still open until the refree blows his whistle.
Re: Students Disrupt Ibb Camapign Again In Abeokuta by tokunegiye(m): 2:44pm On Sep 10, 2010
yes it is high time we students took our place in nation building wish i was there waiting for them to cum ove to port harcourt[color=#006600][/color] grin grin grin
Re: Students Disrupt Ibb Camapign Again In Abeokuta by Nobody: 3:06pm On Sep 10, 2010
You have spoken well brother. But will Nigerians listen to the voice of reason.

mikeansy:

We have to be careful in this country. Now it is very cool to violently disrupt the activities of those who campaign for IBB. I also hear that MEND have declared Raymond Dokpessi persona non-grata in the Niger-Delta.

Folks must remember that nobody has monopoly of violence. What if Boko Haram decide to terrorise all supporters on Jonathan or any Southerner in the North?? We will simply have catalysis in our hands.

The Jonathan Presidency and Campaign should rise to the occassion and condemn this kind of behaviour.

The best way to stop any candidate is to vote against them. Bullying people who vote or support certain candidates is TERRORISM.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

EFCC Hasn’t Violated Patience Jonathan’s Rights – Court / We Are Still Negotiating For Chibok Girls, Sharibu, Others’ Release – Presidency / Exposed: See The Dss Operative Who Tried To Kill Sowore In The Court Room

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.