Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,906 members, 7,814,065 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:09 AM

Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City - Travel (85) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City (1578128 Views)

East African Federation (EAC) / Cape Town, Most Beautiful African City Pics / African City Skyline Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) ... (204) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by mwanamwiwa: 7:42pm On Feb 19, 2011
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by mwanamwiwa: 7:44pm On Feb 19, 2011
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by mwanamwiwa: 7:46pm On Feb 19, 2011
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by mwanamwiwa: 8:36pm On Feb 19, 2011
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by nozoe: 11:46am On Feb 20, 2011
Hello!
I am a student from Bucharest, Romania, and i'll go in summer for 2 months to Nairobi to work in an NGO.
I wanted to ask the people who have been to Nairobi or the citizens from there how is life for a (white) tourist there?
I have been last year in august in India (Hiderabad and Mumbay) and just beacause I was white lots of people were stopping me on the streets to make photos with me, a guy actually gave me to hold his infant son while he was making us a photo, if I went in a bus, the ticket controller would take me in front of the bus, where there are the "white" seats, and if there was no seat free (and usually there aren'tsmiley she/he would put an indian to stand up and give the seat to me, even though I was protesting and saying that I'm really ok to stay in the "general population" area smiley) And at first it was interesting (I have to admit I was feeling preety good, just like a movie/rock-star), but after a while it got annoying. I really just wanted to blend in, to see and feel how it really is to live in India, but I just couldn't. And also, because I was white, I had different prices for everything, sometimes 20 times higher than for an indian.

And now it will be the first time when I'll travel to Africa, so I'm not sure how it is in there. And also, are there any areas where I shouldn't go, because they are not safe? In India there were lots of areas where white people didn't belong, or weren't advised to go to.
What about prices? Are differences between native Kenyans and tourists?
Because I'll stay for 2 months, which is more than the average tourist-stay, and I'll work in an NGO with Kenyans and I'll also have lots of time to travel and enjoy Nairobi, I'll want to be able to "blend-in", although, due to the fact that I'm white it will be challenging smiley

I'm sorry if the answers to my questions are somewhere in the thread, but I didn't have time to go through the whole thread smiley

Looking forword to my trip there! smiley

PS: Last question, I promise: Any tips for cheap ways to get to Nairobi from Europe? As far as I've seen the cheapest planes are Virgin Atlantic from London, or Kenya Airways from Rome, smiley
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 3:35am On Feb 21, 2011
no_zoe:

Hello!
I am a student from Bucharest, Romania, and i'll go in summer for 2 months to Nairobi to work in an NGO.
I wanted to ask the people who have been to Nairobi or the citizens from there how is life for a (white) tourist there?
I have been last year in august in India (Hiderabad and Mumbay) and just beacause I was white lots of people were stopping me on the streets to make photos with me, a guy actually gave me to hold his infant son while he was making us a photo, if I went in a bus, the ticket controller would take me in front of the bus, where there are the "white" seats, and if there was no seat free (and usually there aren'tsmiley she/he would put an indian to stand up and give the seat to me, even though I was protesting and saying that I'm really ok to stay in the "general population" area smiley) And at first it was interesting (I have to admit I was feeling preety good, just like a movie/rock-star), but after a while it got annoying. I really just wanted to blend in, to see and feel how it really is to live in India, but I just couldn't. And also, because I was white, I had different prices for everything, sometimes 20 times higher than for an indian.

And now it will be the first time when I'll travel to Africa, so I'm not sure how it is in there. And also, are there any areas where I shouldn't go, because they are not safe? In India there were lots of areas where white people didn't belong, or weren't advised to go to.
What about prices? Are differences between native Kenyans and tourists?
Because I'll stay for 2 months, which is more than the average tourist-stay, and I'll work in an NGO with Kenyans and I'll also have lots of time to travel and enjoy Nairobi, I'll want to be able to "blend-in", although, due to the fact that I'm white it will be challenging smiley

I'm sorry if the answers to my questions are somewhere in the thread, but I didn't have time to go through the whole thread smiley

Looking forword to my trip there! smiley

PS: Last question, I promise: Any tips for cheap ways to get to Nairobi from Europe? As far as I've seen the cheapest planes are Virgin Atlantic from London, or Kenya Airways from Rome, smiley

Africa is not like India,espeacially those countries that rely heavily on tourism and are used to seeing people of different cultures.You will easily blend in but as usual there are some areas you should get a guide if you were to venture there.Kenyans and East Africans by law are offered way lower prices in most tourism spots,to encourage domestic tourism.On the last question,fly with class. wink Kenya Airways makes daily flights to Paris,London,Rome and Amsterdam.Welcome and enjoy your visit. cool
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 3:39am On Feb 21, 2011

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 3:40am On Feb 21, 2011
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 3:43am On Feb 21, 2011

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 4:12am On Feb 21, 2011

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by scholes0(m): 9:44am On Feb 21, 2011
Mwanamwiwa, I catch u Lurking around in our Forums, hahahaha shocked shocked
Anyway It's me, Naijaborn, {Skyscrapercity}
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 5:07pm On Feb 21, 2011
scholes0:

Mwanamwiwa, I catch u Lurking around in our Forums, hahahaha shocked shocked
Anyway It's me, Naijaborn, {Skyscrapercity}

Wats good Naijaborn,I am always lurking! grin
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 5:08pm On Feb 21, 2011

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 8:40pm On Feb 23, 2011
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 8:41pm On Feb 23, 2011

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 8:43pm On Feb 23, 2011
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 8:43pm On Feb 23, 2011
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 8:44pm On Feb 23, 2011

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 2:46pm On Feb 25, 2011
Cloudy day

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 2:48pm On Feb 25, 2011

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 2:55pm On Feb 25, 2011
Nyari Suburb

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 7:20pm On Feb 26, 2011
Galleria Mall, nightshot.

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 7:21pm On Feb 26, 2011
Sarit Mall

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 3:42am On Feb 28, 2011

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 3:43am On Feb 28, 2011

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 3:47am On Feb 28, 2011
Green City under the Sun. cool

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 3:49am On Feb 28, 2011
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 4:13am On Feb 28, 2011
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 2:23pm On Mar 01, 2011
Norfolk hotel:

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 2:25pm On Mar 01, 2011

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by mwanamwiwa: 4:40pm On Mar 02, 2011
edit.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by mwanamwiwa: 4:41pm On Mar 02, 2011

(1) (2) (3) ... (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) ... (204) (Reply)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General South Africa Visa Enquiries / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.