Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,137 members, 7,835,813 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:22 PM

Insight Into Buhari’s Twin Dinner With Lawmakers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Insight Into Buhari’s Twin Dinner With Lawmakers (19163 Views)

Tinubu Slumps, Rushed To Hospital After Appointment Into Buhari’s APC - FFK / Buhari Vowed To Deal With Lawmakers That Booed Him - Femi Fani-kayode / Defection: Lai Mohammed Visits Kwara, Holds Meeting With Lawmakers (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Insight Into Buhari’s Twin Dinner With Lawmakers by ijustdey: 2:35pm On Apr 21, 2019
By Anule Emmanuel

Now I understand the grievance of some members of the All Progressives Congress (APC). Since the intrigues about the choice of those who will take over the leadership of the Ninth National Assembly began shortly after the 2019 general elections, there have been deliberate attempts to get President Muhammad Bukhara deeply involved.

The Ninth Assembly opens in June this year and stakeholders in the ruling party are not ready to take anything for granted and allow a repeat of the 2015 experience when the lawmakers had a field day and elected presiding officers of their choice.

Both the current President of the Senate, Bukola Saraki and Speaker of the House of Representatives, Yakubu Dogara emerged as leaders of the two chambers in the parliament against the wishes of their political party, (the APC). They later defected to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). Saraki was returned unopposed as Senate President facilitated by the solid backing of a 49-member strong PDP caucus with unalloyed support from APC Senators from Zamfara, Sokoto, Adamawa, Kogi and Kwara states, knocking out Ahmed Lawan who was the preferred candidate of the party. Interestingly too, with the ‘give and take deal’ orchestrated by PDP and Saracen backed elements in the APC, Senator Ike Ekweremadu of the PDP was also returned as Deputy President of the Senate, the first time a bipartisan leadership was enthroned in Nigeria’s Red Chamber.

The drama inside the Senate at the time also robbed off negatively for the official candidate of the APC in the Green Chamber as Femi Gbajabiamila lost to Dogara who was elected speaker. No one was left in doubt that the ruling party structure and hierarchy, as well as its national leader, former Lagos State governor Ahmed Bola Tinubu, was solidly behind the candidature of Gbajabiamila. APC’s official candidate for the Deputy Speakership, Tahir Monguno had also lost to Lasun Yusuf of the PDP. The battle for the four presiding officers’ positions in the National Assembly therefore witnessed the APC losing to all the candidates backed by the opposition PDP.

Sadly, the outcome of the election in both chambers established a frosty relationship that exists to date between the leadership of the executive and the legislature. What many Nigerians seem to forget easily is the fact that President Muhammadu Buhari as President-elect innocently laid the foundation for what played out in the parliament in 2015. I was among several other people who commended the President for his unique democratic posture of promising never to meddle into the NASS leadership contest.

In a statement by Garb Shah then Director of Media & Publicity of APC Presidential Campaign few days before the President’s inauguration, Bukhara emphatically promised that he was willing to work with any leader of the Senate and Reps, irrespective of what part of the country he or she originated from. He explained that those who wanted him to interfere in the internal affairs of the parliament were still thinking in the past, forgetting that Change had truly come to Nigeria.

Hear him out, “I am prepared to work with any leaders that the House or Senate selects,” General Bukhara said. “It doesn’t matter who the person is or where he or she is from. There is due process for the selection of leaders of the National Assembly and I will not interfere in that process. Nigeria has indeed entered a new dispensation,” he said. “My administration does not intend to repeat the same mistakes made by previous governments.

Following the emergence of Saraki, Dogara and the other two principal officers, President Buhari did not fail to acknowledge that a constitutional process occurred in the election, he, however, wished the process had followed the initiative by the APC.

For the APC and its National chairman, Adams Oshiomhole both the President’s posture at the time and the failure of the party to handle the intrigues of leadership selection in the National Assembly contributed significantly in thwarting the progress which the government would have made in delivering dividends of democracy to Nigerians in the last four years. The minister of Information Lai Mohammed at some point raised the concern that NASS under the current leadership, unfortunately, treated the executive with contempt.

In his view, the 2016, 2017 and 2018 budgets for instance, were deliberately delayed by the lawmakers to frustrate the government. The same thing he said was with appointments, nominations and confirmations for key organisations that could move the government forward like the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and the Nigeria Deposit Insurance Corporation (NDIC).

What is certain at the moment is that the APC is not leaving anything to chance in ensuring that all its candidates emerge victorious during the election for the leadership of the ninth National Assembly. The party’s chairman has since embarked on vigorous lobbying of both returning and newly elected members in the green and red chambers to achieve this feat. One other major strategy adopted by comrade Oshiomhole and members of his National Working Committee (NWC) is to get the strong buy-in of President Bukhara and the presidency particularly, in form of an endorsement of the party’s preferred candidates.

Securing the President’s blessing is necessary given the fact that the APC under Oshiomhole plans to even expand the battle frontiers into what can be best described as the winner takes all. Going forward, the game plan is to ensure that all strategic committees in the two chambers are headed entirely by members of the ruling party. As far as the party chairman is concerned, APC cannot afford to do business with the ’devil’ to survive at the parliament.

Oshiomhole and members of the NWC of the APC in the last few weeks have led the lawmakers, (Senate and House), both old and new to President Bukhara at the presidential villa with the view to sealing the deal about the choice of Senator Ahmed Lawan for Senate presidency and Femi Gbajabiamila for the House Speakership. A few members of the party are however not taking likely this supposedly clandestine lobbying of the President by Oshiomhole and his group for these two candidates. One of the aggrieved members is former Senate Leader Ali Ndume who also wants to run for the office of the Senate president. House spokesman Abdulrazak Namdas (APC, Adamawa), Ahmed Wase (APC, Plateau), Umar Bago (APC, Niger) and Dr. John Idyer (APC, Benue) are also challenging Gbajabiamila for the Speakership.

Since the dinner with the Senators and members of the House of Representatives, President Buhari has yet to openly endorse anyone. No member of the APC at the moment can categorically claim to know what position the President has so far taken. The President at both meetings with the lawmakers, however, urged them to embrace unity and stand by the position of the party. While covering events at both the dinner with the senators and the House members, it was not difficult to see signs of unhappiness on the faces of the lawmakers as they emerged from the inner rooms. As far as they are concerned, presenting any candidate before the President while coercing the opinions remained an unfruitful exercise.

The general expectation is that as the APC strives never to make the mistakes of 2015, it must be seen to have worked out an equitable zoning arrangement based on clear, identifiable and acceptable criteria understood by all players to cater for all the geopolitical zones. It is interesting to hear that the party has zoned the Senate presidency to the North East which produced the highest number of votes in the 2019 general elections. I am among those who still do not understand why the position of the Speakership is being zoned to the South West and not the North Central which also polled significant votes, in fact, third after North West and North East during the presidential election. It makes no sense for the South West holding the position of Vice President and at the same time, producing the next speaker in the National Assembly.

You may pardon my position on this matter, but it is one of those numerous and contentious issues of disagreement among the lawmakers which, if not properly handled by both the presidency and the APC, could throw up another 2015 experience during the selection process. Another sensitive issue is that of religion which most people have always pretended to avoid. As it stands today, one particular religion in both chambers may end up dominating as against the spirit of fair and equitable distribution of power which the country has witnessed in the past. Despite these intrigues however, the most important thing we desire is an independent National Assembly that works to make laws for the welfare of all Nigerians and the development of all parts of the country.

https://www.newtelegraphng.com/2019/04/insight-into-buharis-twin-dinner-with-lawmakers/
Re: Insight Into Buhari’s Twin Dinner With Lawmakers by JasonScoolari: 2:38pm On Apr 21, 2019
cool
Re: Insight Into Buhari’s Twin Dinner With Lawmakers by Paulfroshman: 9:31pm On Apr 21, 2019
smiley
Re: Insight Into Buhari’s Twin Dinner With Lawmakers by Sellfish(m): 9:31pm On Apr 21, 2019
Re: Insight Into Buhari’s Twin Dinner With Lawmakers by Macmoni(m): 9:31pm On Apr 21, 2019
V

1 Like

Re: Insight Into Buhari’s Twin Dinner With Lawmakers by hisexcellency34: 9:32pm On Apr 21, 2019
Ahmad Lawan will win Senate President
Femi Gbajabiamila Will Lose terribly as Speaker

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Insight Into Buhari’s Twin Dinner With Lawmakers by Nobody: 9:32pm On Apr 21, 2019
Peepooo grin
Re: Insight Into Buhari’s Twin Dinner With Lawmakers by BuyACar(f): 9:32pm On Apr 21, 2019
That's cool

Do you only make calls or texts with your phone?

Learn to super productive on your phone

https://www.seonigeria.com/a/UCH001/GEL

Re: Insight Into Buhari’s Twin Dinner With Lawmakers by IvarTheTerrible: 9:33pm On Apr 21, 2019
angry

Many years back, i was working as Muscle for the tyrant ruling Gambia : Yahhya Jammeh

I was responsible for the wet work. Doing what was necessary to keep him in power.

We had a banquet planned for both the Senate and House of Reps

I went into the Kitchen and with cruel, hard face, ordered all the chefs out. Motioning with a gun.

The maitre d' was slow in hustling his fat ass out so i hit him with the butt of my gun.

When the place had emptied. I glanced furtively left and right.

I poured 3 gallons of laxatives into the big pot......

15 minutes into the feast, you can guess what happened....

Queues formed infront of the restrooms and soon enough people couldn't wait, everyone squatted on the red carpet and....

RED colour of the carpet became BROWN/YELLOW/GREEN depending on their last meal....

To be continued.....

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Insight Into Buhari’s Twin Dinner With Lawmakers by Athena4: 9:33pm On Apr 21, 2019
Rubbish. After the dinner,Dem go go house shît am and resume their fûck up. Waste of resources.
Re: Insight Into Buhari’s Twin Dinner With Lawmakers by obembet(f): 9:33pm On Apr 21, 2019
BuyACar:
That's cool

Please tell us what is cool about.the news. I only read headlines
Re: Insight Into Buhari’s Twin Dinner With Lawmakers by jasmine1600: 9:35pm On Apr 21, 2019
This days, Buhari this n tht only on Twitter handle, no pictures or videos.
The same lifeless man I saw on the candidate that can’t hear, meditate or articulate is doing all this.
I don’t understand.
Re: Insight Into Buhari’s Twin Dinner With Lawmakers by Kayceenaz(m): 9:35pm On Apr 21, 2019
BuyACar:
That's cool
Did you even read the post? Space booker extraordinaire.

3 Likes

Re: Insight Into Buhari’s Twin Dinner With Lawmakers by LamidicownuBSS: 9:35pm On Apr 21, 2019
Inconclusive
Re: Insight Into Buhari’s Twin Dinner With Lawmakers by Saltoflife: 9:36pm On Apr 21, 2019
I'm here to read comments

But read this too.

Helpville Centre offers a weekly training on how to get better in marriage and relationships (especially for women) thereby ensuring financial gains and emotional stability plus 24 hours councelling

Join online group on whatsapp

Zero 9 zero 9. 515. 711 eight.

Re: Insight Into Buhari’s Twin Dinner With Lawmakers by LamidicownuBSS: 9:36pm On Apr 21, 2019
INCONCLUSIVE MEETING
Re: Insight Into Buhari’s Twin Dinner With Lawmakers by Rubbiish(m): 9:37pm On Apr 21, 2019
obembet:

Please tell us what is cool about.the news. I only read headlines
Lazy boy tongue
Re: Insight Into Buhari’s Twin Dinner With Lawmakers by Lanre4uonly(m): 9:37pm On Apr 21, 2019
Ok. It is noted.
Re: Insight Into Buhari’s Twin Dinner With Lawmakers by rainmoredays: 9:38pm On Apr 21, 2019
ijustdey:

Now I understand the grievance of some members of the All Progressives Congress (APC). Since the intrigues about the choice of those who will take over the leadership of the Ninth National Assembly began shortly after the 2019 general elections, there have been deliberate attempts to get President Muhammad Bukhara deeply involved.

https://www.newtelegraphng.com/2019/04/insight-into-buharis-twin-dinner-with-lawmakers/

Bukhara

Re: Insight Into Buhari’s Twin Dinner With Lawmakers by Richkid97(m): 9:40pm On Apr 21, 2019
hisexcellency34:
Ahmad Lawan will win Senate President
Femi Gbajabiamila Will Lose terribly as Speaker

Shut up ipob pig

2 Likes

Re: Insight Into Buhari’s Twin Dinner With Lawmakers by twilliamx(m): 9:41pm On Apr 21, 2019
Y
Re: Insight Into Buhari’s Twin Dinner With Lawmakers by kitken: 9:41pm On Apr 21, 2019
shocked so many alphabets...
Re: Insight Into Buhari’s Twin Dinner With Lawmakers by hazardneymar: 9:41pm On Apr 21, 2019
Atiku bringing results from inec server and telling nigerians dat his bringing witness frm micro soft,oracle etc jst conform wit d bliv dat d said result atiku n pdp ar claiming to b d authentic result has b composed for long waiting for pmb to sign d electoral bill to make d results real,but tank God pmb n apc ar smart to reject d bill. Atiku never in his life believe he will win tru d masses,he jst put all his hope in d money he spent hiring his foreign contractors to help Him win in d court wit onnoghen as d cjn.

3 Likes

Re: Insight Into Buhari’s Twin Dinner With Lawmakers by bobchigar(m): 9:41pm On Apr 21, 2019
Op, your opinion as stated in the last paragraph. I didn't think we should be reason along the religion line especially on this kind of issue. Please note that all the members here were elected, if one religion dominate the house through election from their various constituency, are saying that other religion must also present in the house before things can go on right?

1 Like

Re: Insight Into Buhari’s Twin Dinner With Lawmakers by intothed: 9:41pm On Apr 21, 2019
OPERATION YOU MUST NOT BE SINGLE BEFORE THE END OF THIS YEAR. LET'S HELP YOU TO CONNECT WITH YOUR TRUE LOVE NOW!

Love is something different. Love is sweet, infact, true Love is the sweetest thing ever and even God almighty himself is Love!

Two Things You Don't Fight For; True Love and A True Friend
Love and Friendship are the touchstones of our lives, they define who we are and so when you truly love someone, to hell with butterfly in the tummy, you feel the whole zoo when you are with that person!

Until you meet someone you are scared to cheat on, you have no idea what being "IN LOVE" means!

YOU READY TO MAKE THIS YEAR A YEAR OF YOUR TRUE LOVE?

Ready to meet that special one that makes you feel the ‘whole zoo’ in your tummy?

Just sign up o the website you with you details, message the Admin on Telegram or whatsapp and once your details are verified, connecting starts immediately

NOTE THIS: If you are not ready for serious relationship, if you are looking for 2nd wife, if you are looking for sugar mummy, sugar daddy or sugar baby, if you are a married man or woman looking for 'sarawagba' (we have chased out and embarrassed over 30 married men from the platform so far) and if you are not ready to register to verify your details. PLEASE DONT BOTHER JOINING BECAUSE WE DONT WANT OR ACCEPT ANYONE OR ANYTHING THAT WOULD PHYSICALLY OR EMOTIONALLY AFFECT THE WELL BEING OF OUR DEAR MEMBERS!

ALSO NOTE that the couple that met and got married on our platform last year are waxing strong in their marriage and so, we want so many marriages and serious relationship consummated this very year (AS SEEN ON OUR OFFICIAL WHATSAPP AND TELEGRAM DPs)

Signup, registration and membership absolutely free

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? START YOUR TRUE LOVE CONNECTION NOW

Re: Insight Into Buhari’s Twin Dinner With Lawmakers by bomsybomsy(m): 9:44pm On Apr 21, 2019
We have genuine land for sale, just beside the Federal University Otuoke , Bayelsa State. You can use it to build good self contain hostels for students,Which is urgently needed by the yearly increase in student population.

Our comprehensive research in some nigerian universities show that,Hostel accommodation for students have always been in short supply in Nigeria Universities, Polytechnics, and other higher institutions.Simple reason,Most higher institutions in Nigeria enroll students in tens of thousands. And many of these higher institutions do not have ready hostel accommodation for the massive student population they attract from all over Nigeria to their schools.Even the Universities, Polytechnics and other higher institutions in Nigeria who have student hostel within their premises do not have enough rooms to cater for the accommodation needs of 70 percent of their student population.Therefore, the majority of students seek youth hostels or student accommodation outside of the school environment. Thousands of students are in constant need of hostel accommodation year in year out in higher institutions all over Nigeria.Therefore building student hostels provides a huge opportunity for you to earn good returns on your investment,.....0-8-0-3-7-9-0-3-4-4-4
Re: Insight Into Buhari’s Twin Dinner With Lawmakers by Guyman02: 9:52pm On Apr 21, 2019
I hope the meat served at the dinners were from his miserable kwashiorkored 150 harmofrodite cows that he declared as his assets to CCB angry angry
Re: Insight Into Buhari’s Twin Dinner With Lawmakers by abbasajao(m): 9:55pm On Apr 21, 2019
What do we gain if we read this epistle?
Re: Insight Into Buhari’s Twin Dinner With Lawmakers by Majid1990(m): 9:56pm On Apr 21, 2019
Come whole me make I read am
Re: Insight Into Buhari’s Twin Dinner With Lawmakers by GoodMuyis(m): 9:59pm On Apr 21, 2019
where are these fellow i dont know them?

In a statement by Garb Shah then Director of Media & Publicity of APC Presidential Campaign few days before the President’s inauguration, Bukhara emphatically promised that he was willing to work with any leader of the Senate and Reps, irrespective of what part of the country he or she originated from.

Oshiomhole and members of the NWC of the APC in the last few weeks have led the lawmakers, (Senate and House), both old and new to President Bukhara at the presidential villa with the view to sealing the deal about the choice of Senator Ahmed Lawan for Senate presidency and Femi Gbajabiamila for the House Speakership.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Peter Obi Visits IDP Camps In Bokkos & Barkin-ladi LGAs, donates N5 Million / Nigeria Islands And Location / French Ambassador To Nigeria Visits Bola Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.