Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:52 PM

Should You Announce Your Engagement On Facebook? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Should You Announce Your Engagement On Facebook? (8550 Views)

These Have Got To Be The Most Epic Ways Of Announcing Your Engagement (PICS) / Can You Do This On Your Engagement Day? PICS ATTACHED / 10 Things You Must Never Do While Wearing Your Engagement/wedding Ring (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should You Announce Your Engagement On Facebook? by Doubleen: 12:37am On Sep 22, 2010
Should you display a status change to the world on facebook?
Re: Should You Announce Your Engagement On Facebook? by german007(m): 12:45am On Sep 22, 2010
Double-en:

I am someone who has been pressured by my fiancé for months to insert a relationship status reading "Engaged" on my facebook profile. Its not like i am denying him or refusing to acknowledge him by not putting it there but i feel that since its an agreement between the two of us with the knowledge of both our families then it doesn't really matter whether I display a status change to the world.
Besides i know more than a few friends who have been engaged on facebook and had to endure the heart break in public when the engagement was called off.

Your post is interesting, but a bit contradictory. You say you're being pressured?, but you're also agreeing to the fact that based on the surrounding factors of your relationship, changing your facebook status is normal.

Do you lack the confidence that your relationship won't last, or/and isn't build on a solid rock?.

cool cool
Re: Should You Announce Your Engagement On Facebook? by Gamine(f): 12:50am On Sep 22, 2010
I don't understand the need to have things like this plastered all over facebook.
People don't know what 'intimate' is anymore. I mean look at someone here,
posting pictures of his wedding all over nairaland. I wonder what point that is supposed to prove? undecided

It really doesn't matter, But your partner may be concerned that other people
would be trying to reach you because of your seemingly single status on there.
Re: Should You Announce Your Engagement On Facebook? by Doubleen: 1:22am On Sep 22, 2010
german007:

Your post is interesting, but a bit contradictory. You say you're being pressured?, but you're also agreeing to the fact that based on the surrounding factors of your relationship, changing your facebook status is normal.

Do you lack the confidence that your relationship won't last, or/and isn't build on a solid rock?.

cool  cool

Neither of those. I just feel its our own thing. Like Gamine rightly said its an "intimate" detail of my life. I'm reluctant because I feel its sharing too much of me on the internet. And i figure that since family and close friends already know, it cant hurt not to display the status
Re: Should You Announce Your Engagement On Facebook? by axeman85(m): 11:52am On Sep 22, 2010
[color=#000099][/color][b][/b]

Its no compulsory. well its a dicey situation because when you put the status as engaged there, people will congratulate you BUT the minute it changes back to single or ints complicated, people start commenting again and it can be quite embarassing and heartbreaking, especially when the whole fbook has known who the guy is or have seen you guys together or pictures of you guys together when the going was good. well at the end of the day its your choice. or better still leave the relationship space empty.
Re: Should You Announce Your Engagement On Facebook? by samtoye(m): 11:57am On Sep 22, 2010
Does it cost you anything to change your status on facebook to engaged? cos lets be real; the guys do check for status before they toast, so to keep the devil at bay and for peace sake do it.
Re: Should You Announce Your Engagement On Facebook? by 1102(m): 12:00pm On Sep 22, 2010
samtoye:

Does it cost you anything to change your status on facebook to engaged? cos lets be real; the guys do check for status before they toast, so to keep the devil at bay and for peace sake do it.

U took my mouth out of the words, grin grin
Re: Should You Announce Your Engagement On Facebook? by Omolola1(f): 12:03pm On Sep 22, 2010
Hmmn!

Well, i take People's Facebook Relationship Status seriously
If i see that you are engaged and the person's name is there, i have second thoughts
Personally, its not a must for me to put up my relationship status

In your case, if you are really engaged to this guy, and he wants you to put it there, what;s stopping you
Re: Should You Announce Your Engagement On Facebook? by whitesturd(f): 12:09pm On Sep 22, 2010
well i quite understand that u might actually consider somethings private but just to avoid unnecessary suspicions u could put it there cos it would do u more good than harm>
Re: Should You Announce Your Engagement On Facebook? by knight77(m): 12:11pm On Sep 22, 2010
Double-en:

I am someone who  has been pressured by my fiancé for months to insert a relationship status reading "Engaged" on my facebook profile. Its not like i am denying him or refusing to acknowledge him by not putting it there but i feel that since its an agreement between the two of us with the knowledge of both our families then it doesn't really matter whether I display a status change to the world. 
Besides i know more than a few friends who have been engaged on facebook and had to endure the heart break in public when the engagement was called off.

if thats what he wants, he must have his reasons, so just do it.
Re: Should You Announce Your Engagement On Facebook? by 1102(m): 12:13pm On Sep 22, 2010
Omolola1:

Hmmn!

[size=13pt]Well, i take People's Facebook Relationship Status seriously
If i see that you are engaged and the person's name is there, i have second thoughts[/size]
Personally, its not a must for me to put up my relationship status

In your case, if you are really engaged to this guy, and he wants you to put it there, what;s stopping you

That is Garbage , utter nonsense!! angry angry
Re: Should You Announce Your Engagement On Facebook? by Omolola1(f): 12:16pm On Sep 22, 2010
--190--:

Why do you think so?
Its the truth,
Let's face it, you add someone as your fiance i.e. engaged to (person;s name), the other person can either accept or decline it!
For the other person to accept it, it means it is really true except it is planned
Re: Should You Announce Your Engagement On Facebook? by knight77(m): 12:18pm On Sep 22, 2010
--190--:

gal get real, that guy makes sense.
Re: Should You Announce Your Engagement On Facebook? by Youngichou(m): 12:25pm On Sep 22, 2010
--190--:

Gbam!
Re: Should You Announce Your Engagement On Facebook? by 1102(m): 12:27pm On Sep 22, 2010
Omolola1:

Why do you think so?
Its the truth,
Let's face it, you add someone as your fiance i.e. engaged to (person;s name), the other person can either accept or decline it!
For the other person to accept it, it means it is really true except it is planned

Utter Rubbish, Anyone can put in a relationship,engaged,or single in a  FB profile
Ive got tons of friendz that are in a relationship and their FB profile's read single,so sweetheart your Obvious Little Opinion is all wrong, pardon urself grin grin
Re: Should You Announce Your Engagement On Facebook? by Omolola1(f): 12:41pm On Sep 22, 2010
--190--:

Utter Rubbish, Anyone can put in a relationship,engaged,or single in a FB profile
Ive got tons of friendz that are in a relationship and their FB profile's read single,so sweetheart your Obvious Little Opinion is all wrong, pardon urself grin grin

I beg to differ!

That is totally wrong! Yes, you can be in a relationship and your profile says Single, Me for instance, i dont update my relationship status because i just dont feel like it, but i tell whoever cares to know my relationship Status

We are talking about "ENGAGED", once you put your relationship status as Engaged (the two parties are involved), that is what people would think. Much less when it is there for too long undecided
Re: Should You Announce Your Engagement On Facebook? by Echidime(m): 12:42pm On Sep 22, 2010
You do not want to post it on facebook, because you still have other men you still want to Terrorise their pocket with the slogan,I am single  grin grin grin grin grin grin womennnnnnnnnnnnnn na waooooooooooooooo
Re: Should You Announce Your Engagement On Facebook? by 1102(m): 12:47pm On Sep 22, 2010
Omolola1:

I beg to differ!

That is totally wrong! Yes, you can be in a relationship and your profile says Single, Me for instance, i dont update my relationship status because i just dont feel like it, but i tell whoever cares to know my relationship Status

We are talking about "ENGAGED", once you put your relationship status as Engaged (the two parties are involved), that is what people would think. Much less when it is there for too long undecided

Another utter rubbish, what you are spilling is PURE JUNK, You dont wanna update your profile but u tell anyone who asks you about it,why making things more difficult for yourself, I still mantain one should announce his status on FB unless he/she has sometin else in mind~
Re: Should You Announce Your Engagement On Facebook? by knight77(m): 12:48pm On Sep 22, 2010
Omolola1:

I beg to differ!

We are talking about "ENGAGED", once you put your relationship status as Engaged (the two parties are involved), that is what people would think. Much less when it is there for too long  undecided

i totally agree with you, ENGAGEMENT is already a serious commitment.
Re: Should You Announce Your Engagement On Facebook? by 1102(m): 12:49pm On Sep 22, 2010
Echidime:

You do not want to post it on facebook, because you still have other men you still want to Terrorise their pocket with the slogan,I am single  grin grin grin grin grin grin womennnnnnnnnnnnnn na waooooooooooooooo

Re: Should You Announce Your Engagement On Facebook? by knight77(m): 12:52pm On Sep 22, 2010
--190--:

correct post
Re: Should You Announce Your Engagement On Facebook? by Omolola1(f): 12:54pm On Sep 22, 2010
--190--:

Another utter rubbish, what you are spilling is PURE JUNK, You dont wanna update your profile but u tell anyone who asks you about it,why making things more difficult for yourself, I still mantain one should announce his status on FB unless he/she has sometin else in mind~

Now you are making me angry!
If that is what you say no probs
Come to think of it i havent checked your status, going to check it nao
I would take whatever is there to be serious

knight77:

i totally agree with you, ENGAGEMENT is already a serious commitment.

cool cool cool wink wink
Re: Should You Announce Your Engagement On Facebook? by 1102(m): 1:03pm On Sep 22, 2010
^^
why arent u answering your fone,

abeg nah Joke i dey ooh,

It was pure
Re: Should You Announce Your Engagement On Facebook? by Creamish(f): 1:03pm On Sep 22, 2010
watever rocks ur boat babes . . im not a sucker for announcements but just for peace and trust to reign, change ur status . .dosnt take anything off u. . . xcpt ur having doubts about the strenght of ur engagement/union . .  undecided
Re: Should You Announce Your Engagement On Facebook? by derolly(m): 1:07pm On Sep 22, 2010
C'mmon guyz i don't see any reasons to debate over this  cheesy

If a gurl logically refuse to update her status to "Engaged' on FB when she's already committed
i'll simply go right back and put mine boldly SINGE to make sure am not out of the game too grin grin
Afterwards we'll see who's gonna get a heart attack  for that to be mutually returned grin grin
Re: Should You Announce Your Engagement On Facebook? by Youngichou(m): 1:16pm On Sep 22, 2010
I sniff morons on this thread.
For god sake! POSTER how on earth will you be engaged and you tell the facebookers no i mean the WORLD that you are single that is what we call PROSTITUTION get it sister! So i want you to make a change and get that relationship status of yours changed
Re: Should You Announce Your Engagement On Facebook? by OboBoco(f): 1:17pm On Sep 22, 2010
hmmm, well it does not make any sence to me, i don't like putting some private information on the internet and i don't also take everything i see on the internet serious ( ESPECIALLY FACEBOOK ), i just use it as a means to interact and joke with friends. why would i put my relation status at the end other people envying your relationship would try to destroy it, or would start looking forward to making your personal business their problem.
i have a boyfriend and we both know that facebook is a big joke so when i see alot of girls writing silly comments on his page or guys writing comments on my page we both laugh over it cos we know they are wasting their time.
but if it will make your future hubby happy, then do it for him.
Re: Should You Announce Your Engagement On Facebook? by Nobody: 1:18pm On Sep 22, 2010
There is nothing as mature as keepin things 2 urself,u must not let everybody or d world 2 knw dat yes he or she is my lover,dats childish. Wat happens if anytin goes wrong 2mrw tho nobody prays or wishes 4 dat. 4 u to add sum1 like in a relatnship,engaged or married and d other accepts it is not jst 4 fun. I knw a girl who is in a relatnshp wit a guy on fbk and datin anoda guy also. Wen d fbk guy asks her abt d oda guy,she wil tel him dat u are my guy,cant u see it on fbk relatnshp status. If d oda one asks her wat abt ur fbk guy,she wil tel him dats jst a joke. So who is fooling who?
Re: Should You Announce Your Engagement On Facebook? by Omolola1(f): 1:24pm On Sep 22, 2010
--190--:

^^
why arent u answering your fone,

abeg nah Joke i dey ooh,

It was pure

Which is pure humour?
your status or what you said
BTW, i didnt know my phone was ringing coz i forgot to change it from Silence mode
Re: Should You Announce Your Engagement On Facebook? by Youngichou(m): 1:30pm On Sep 22, 2010
Obo Boco:
i have a boyfriend and we both know that facebook is a big joke so when i see alot of girls writing silly comments on his page or guys writing comments on my page we both laugh over it cos we know they are wasting their time.
but if it will make your future hubby happy, then do it for him.
hmmmmm when dey collect that guy you go know say facebook no be joke.
Abi you never people wey marry. And na for facebook or online they meet themselves
Re: Should You Announce Your Engagement On Facebook? by 1102(m): 1:32pm On Sep 22, 2010
Omolola1:

Which is pure humour?
your status or what you said
BTW, i didnt know my phone was ringing coz i forgot to change it from Silence mode

^^
my status and What i said,

I sent you a Private pm on fb

Wud call u soon~
Re: Should You Announce Your Engagement On Facebook? by Spyker: 1:36pm On Sep 22, 2010
I really think it's a matter of choice. My status says single even though I am in a relationship. My girl changed her status to single and back to in a relationship. I never queried her. She must have her reasons. I trust her and that's all i need to keep the relationship going.

@Poster, if your man says put it, what is wrong in that. Do you want him to suspect you?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

OMG!! See This Two Sugar Mama's Servicing Themself (photos) / Dating Cherubum And Serafim Girls Or Celestial Church Girls / Nairalanders I'm So Sorry For My Earlier Topic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.