Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,927 members, 7,814,123 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:12 AM

House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband (24479 Views)

Take Your Children To Their Father Or Else - Man Tells Wife (pic/video) / Threats From Father Inlaw And Wife / If there is only one meat in the pot, who should eat it? Father Or Children ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Tundemanias: 9:11am On May 10, 2019
The House of Representatives has passed the bill to give married women the option of choosing their own indigeneship. This new law grants women the ability to choose the indigeneship of either their father or their husband.

It was gathered that the house amended the Federal Character Commission (Establishment Act) 2004, to pass the bill.

House lawmakers amended clauses 1, 2, 3, and the explanatory memorandum of the principal of the Federal Character Commission.

On Tuesday, May 7, the bill was amended. “A bill for an act to amend the Federal Character Commission (Establishment, etc) Act, 2010, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, Cap F7 to give married women the option of indigeneship and for related matters.”

Section 2 of Part II of the principal Act was substituted with a new Section 2, which reads: “A married woman shall have the option to lay claim to her state or local government of origin for the purpose of implementation of the Federal Character formulae at the national level or state level as the case may be.”

It was gathered that the bill will now be cited as the Federal Character Commission (Establishment, etc) Act, (Amendment Bill), 2017.

https://maniagist.com/2019/05/10/married-women-in-nigeria-can-now-choose-their-place-of-origin-from-father-or-husbands-state/

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Tundemanias: 9:11am On May 10, 2019
sad
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Skyfornia(m): 9:16am On May 10, 2019
Lol...if this is true, then a lot of women should be ready to marry themselves or start paying groom price. Inukwa!!

51 Likes 6 Shares

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by xperienced(m): 9:31am On May 10, 2019
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Glorylynn: 9:32am On May 10, 2019
Dis people does not even have shame,damn!! Like WTF!
We still have a lot of basic amenities lacking,so many things are still yet to be put in place,police are killing Nigerians all over the country but they won’t sit and talk about this serious issues,they only deliberate on the laws that will favour them and their children when they are no more in power.
I think we all should just forget about Naija politics and governance as a whole and focus on our lives,this country won’t work.

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Kingluqman(m): 9:33am On May 10, 2019
Bread and butter for feminists grin

5 Likes

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by eazylion001: 9:33am On May 10, 2019
after paying high bride price and other bills of both the lady and her family, you still wanna give her the chance to choose which origin to claim.

I think they should start paying our groom price if they want such privilege.

2 Likes

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by frowland(m): 9:33am On May 10, 2019
Skyfornia:
Lol...if this is true, then a lot of women should be ready to marry themselves or start paying groom price. Inukwa!!

You need to understand the reason for that law before making this type of comment. Thanks.

49 Likes 1 Share

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Lifestone(m): 9:33am On May 10, 2019
This will open the the transfer window for women to port and re-port as they like

12 Likes

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by jude33084(m): 9:33am On May 10, 2019
undecided

So sir how many times can they change their mind?

If madam A claim Edo which is her husband's state today, can she change her mind and claim her local govt from Sokoto?

Make una no vex say I dey ask o grin

2 Likes

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Princedapace(m): 9:33am On May 10, 2019
Skyfornia:

They also need to amend the marriage list. For me to pass thru that stress to marry u, there should be superb benefits too. I think this doesnt make sense. It should be applicable only when a woman gets divorced, if u ask me.

5 Likes

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by looseweight: 9:33am On May 10, 2019
Hahahahaah,....Awon eeyan feminists

1 Like

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by chuks34(m): 9:34am On May 10, 2019
Opportunity for feminist to display their stupidity to the world at large

2 Likes

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by EazyMoh(m): 9:34am On May 10, 2019
Why use US Congress picture. These our stupid bloody bloggers undecided

On topic.
Next will be amendment to allow children chose between their mother's or farther's state of origin. At the end people would be claiming 3 states at once.

6 Likes

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Walking(m): 9:34am On May 10, 2019
How has this changed the economy.
They will never give reasonable and important policy that can change the status quo of the country..

I'm disappointed...
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by PUSSYHOE(m): 9:34am On May 10, 2019
Stop giving this whores power they misuse it!, check western world!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by bettercreature(m): 9:34am On May 10, 2019
grin
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by lastempero: 9:34am On May 10, 2019
Them no go pass better bill that will put Nigeria on the right track, na jonsing Bills that will not take us to anywhere. Unbundle the useless law bounding power generation and distribution they wont do that.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by 9iceprince(m): 9:35am On May 10, 2019
It's high time ladies start paying guyz Groom price then..... just for indigeneship nw.....
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by VivaLaFrans: 9:35am On May 10, 2019
I dont know why these people forbid policies that will reduce their salaries to enable other people get jobs.... Always discussing issues like in the stone age...

7 Likes

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Kendumazy(m): 9:35am On May 10, 2019
This bill make no sense. Out of all other important things, it's this bill that's relevant to our leaders. Smh

8GB Atm card flash drive for #1000 only. Check link
https://www.nairaland.com/4972442/clearance-sales-quality-8gb-atm

1 Like

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by santopelele(m): 9:35am On May 10, 2019
LOL, WOMEN WILL BE LIKE "WHO THE Bleep HE THINKS THAT HE IS THAT I WIL COME AND BE IN HIS VILLAGE

1 Like

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Skyfornia(m): 9:35am On May 10, 2019
frowland:

You need to understand the reason for that law before making this type of comment. Thanks.

Educate me sir...

2 Likes

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Deepfeel(m): 9:36am On May 10, 2019
Step by step we will get there, good one, if we are copying the Westerners we should copy all not just the ones that suits us

6 Likes

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by looseweight: 9:37am On May 10, 2019
semyman:
Pastors fear God

Does that background looks like a church gathering?

7 Likes

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Nobody: 9:37am On May 10, 2019
it is no news
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Walking(m): 9:37am On May 10, 2019
semyman:
Pastors fear God
Fear God na..
Look.at the surroundings, does that look like a church surrounding?

Apply sense na

5 Likes

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Nobody: 9:38am On May 10, 2019
It's a welcomed development. Am I allowed to go for Dual citizenship? grin I can't loose on any side. If no, I am most likely to go for the side with better opportunities.

3 Likes

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by thesicilian: 9:38am On May 10, 2019
It's a very welcome progressive development, and has nothing to do with surname, feminism or submission to the husband. I guess most of the men boys here are feeling threatened because they don't really understand it.

15 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Things That Cause Regret In Old Age / As A Husband, "Before You Ask Your Wife What Are You Bringing To The Table". / Names For Twin Girls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.