Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,169 members, 7,835,912 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:23 PM

House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband (24509 Views)

Take Your Children To Their Father Or Else - Man Tells Wife (pic/video) / If there is only one meat in the pot, who should eat it? Father Or Children ? / Married Women, Do You Still Give Guys Your Contact? Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Nuklex(m): 11:10am On May 10, 2019
So of all the problems we face in this country they choose to discuss this one. Abeg wetin we do in this country eeh,? Whose goat did we steal that brought us this curse?
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by thesicilian: 11:12am On May 10, 2019
Unconquerable:
Don’t flatter yourself: no woman, who really understands what marriage is would chose her father’s state of origin instead of her husband’s. A woman sure of her self and her place in life would willingly align with her husband. It is always the insecure ones that are eager to prove a point. Either a woman is married and act it or remain single like Oprah Winfrey.
It is not about the husband and the marriage. It is about the state, and the benefits, legal or otherwise, that accrue from being affiliated to a particular state, ethnicity or locality. I don't really know how best to explain it to you though.
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Neocotez(m): 11:14am On May 10, 2019
What is will encourage our naija guys is having kids out of wedlock. This is because I see no reason a man will spend about a million naira paying for a dowry and yet the woman will decide to be an origin of her fathers land.
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Unconquerable: 11:15am On May 10, 2019
thesicilian:

It is not about the husband and the marriage. It is about the state, and the benefits, legal or otherwise, that accrue from being affiliated to a particular state, ethnicity or locality. I don't really know how best to explain it to you though.
You don’t really know how best to explain it because there is really nothing to explain.

1 Like

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Nobody: 11:17am On May 10, 2019
This is SEXISM! Same should apply to married men.
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Meliaen(f): 11:18am On May 10, 2019
Rubbish bill. So parasitic ipob women married to lagos indigenes can now lay claim to lagos. Mad lawmakers. Dead on arrival.

1 Like

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Nobody: 11:22am On May 10, 2019
grin

Check my signature below
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by lomprico(m): 11:23am On May 10, 2019
Is this what we need in this country now? undecided
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by lielbree: 11:24am On May 10, 2019
Skyfornia:

Educate me sir...
A lot of women suffer prejudice in this form.

A married woman who wants to contest election from her place of birth will be told you are married, go to your husband place.

While others will be told, you are not from here, go to your father's place and contest.

Giving women the right to choose their indigen is the only solution.

2 Likes

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by aribisala0(m): 11:27am On May 10, 2019
lielbree:

A lot of women suffer prejudice in this form.

A married woman who wants to contest election from her place of birth will be told you are married, go to your husband place.
Where does this happen?

This may be cultural maybe among Eboes but not everywhere

Patricia Etteh comes to mind
Also Danjuma's wife and quite a few others
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by DexterousOne(m): 11:57am On May 10, 2019
This is a dumb law undecided

Ancestry is traced from your father's end

That is where every one originally is from

How then will you trace your ancestry to.your husband side because you are married to him undecided

What kind of foolish country is this bikonu undecided

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by DexterousOne(m): 11:58am On May 10, 2019
Nuklex:
So of all the problems we face in this country they choose to discuss this one. Abeg wetin we do in this country eeh,? Whose goat did we steal that brought us this curse?

You see that we are all mad in this shithole country undecided

1 Like

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by DexterousOne(m): 12:01pm On May 10, 2019
Unconquerable:
Don’t flatter yourself: no woman, who really understands what marriage is would chose her father’s state of origin instead of her husband’s. A woman sure of her self and her place in life would willingly align with her husband. It is always the insecure ones that are eager to prove a point. Either a woman is married and act it or remain single like Oprah Winfrey.

undecided

A woman OR man is traced from HIS / GERFATHER

How can you change where you are from?

What kinf of logic is that?

This confusion of especially common among my people (Igbos )

1 Like

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by lielbree: 12:05pm On May 10, 2019
aribisala0:

Where does this happen?

It's common in the entire south.

I don't know about the north. But this is a good decision by the na
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by trapQ: 12:09pm On May 10, 2019
Whores like your mother, right?
PUSSYHOE:
Stop giving this whores power they misuse it!, check western world!

1 Like

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by trapQ: 12:15pm On May 10, 2019
Honestly they are all mad. Watched them about two weeks ago and was embarrassed at the rationale of our "supposed" decision makers.
Sterope:
Mad people. cheesy

A lady state of origin can be either her father's or mother's, not someone else's.
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by trapQ: 12:19pm On May 10, 2019
A woman's state of origin does not change. It is usually either her father's or mother's place, not anyone else's and marriage does not change that.

So if a woman is hausa and married to Yoruba her state of origin automatically becomes one of the Yoruba states, lol.
And what if she divorces ? Then her state of origin reverts back to her maiden state of origin.

Confusion everywhere.
Unconquerable:
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by aribisala0(m): 12:21pm On May 10, 2019
lielbree:

Common in the entire south?? Give one example
I just gave you the example of Patricia Etteh and Daisy Danjuma . Also Dieziani was made Minister of Petroleum. Please Stop talking ignorantly. There is nothing like that in Yorubaland.

A fundamental difference between the Yoruba and Eboes is that women have EQUAL inheritance rights as their brothers. The only thing they cannot inherit is titles.

It is not a good decision because you have not thought out the full implications.
First of all WHAT IS THE CURRENT LAW? It is funny how people react without informing themselves properly.
The current law does not stop any woman or man from contesting in ANY state in Nigeria whether they are from there or not.

What stops them is not law but politics and acceptability. If that is the case what then is the purpose of a law that would create confusion

The area where such things are applied may be the civil service and perhaps judiciary.

In these situations the law should be gender neutral i.e for PERSONS and SPOUSES rather than women and husbands

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by trapQ: 12:23pm On May 10, 2019
Look around, the countries that don't use state of origin are never homogeneous and even if they are they are not native to the lands they currently occupy such as U.S, Canada and Australia.

We are multicultural in Nigeria and mostly indigenous to our ancestral lands hence the need for that.

amaks:
I understand. It's so as to be able to give wives of politicians the ability to seek elective office in their husbands state. That's the hidden reason. Anyway all good, freedom of choice. We are all Nigerians. Advanced countries have even "abolished" state of origin "rights", good move but I don't think we're fully ready for that yet in Nigeria, the abolishing.
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by trapQ: 12:28pm On May 10, 2019
That is how it's supposed to be. Your state of origin isn't supposed to be subject to change. That you married into a different tribe doesn't mean you're suddenly descended from there.
Marthaodion:

Don’t mind them. Most persons already practice this. My mother claims her father’s village and LGA. Though I’m married, I currently claim my dad’s village and LGA.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by thesicilian: 12:28pm On May 10, 2019
Unconquerable:
You don’t really know how best to explain it to me because there is really nothing to explain.
Not exactly. I think it's because I'm used to having intelligent people around me so it's always easy to communicate with them.

2 Likes

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by trapQ: 12:31pm On May 10, 2019
This is not rocket science na. A woman's origin doesn't change just because she is married. So you expect a woman's basic identity to be eroded just because of a ring on her finger? Lol
Neocotez:
What is will encourage our naija guys is having kids out of wedlock. This is because I see no reason a man will spend about a million naira paying for a dowry and yet the woman will decide to be an origin of her fathers land.

1 Like

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by trapQ: 12:35pm On May 10, 2019
Exactly, only igbos do that. Infact in my place a woman retains 100% rights as a daughter of the soil even when married to someone from another tribe.

She will not denied anything that a man has access to just because she is married.
aribisala0:

Where does this happen?

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by trapQ: 12:36pm On May 10, 2019
It is very very stupid honestly.

Hey, ancestry is also traced from your mother's side but never ever your husband's side, gosh! Our lawmakers are dumb.
DexterousOne:
This is a dumb law undecided

Ancestry is traced from your father's end

That is where every one originally is from

How then will you trace your ancestry to.your husband side because you are married to him undecided

What kind of foolish country is this bikonu undecided

1 Like

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by eedimo(m): 12:37pm On May 10, 2019
Glorylynn:
Dis people does not even have shame,damn!! Like WTF!
We still have a lot of basic amenities lacking,so many things are still yet to be put in place,police are killing Nigerians all over the country but they won’t sit and talk about this serious issues,they only deliberate on the laws that will favour them and their children when they are no more in power.
I think we all should just forget about Naija politics and governance as a whole and focus on our lives,this country won’t work.

So how do you focus on your life in an uncomfortable environment?
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by trapQ: 12:37pm On May 10, 2019
Not common in the south my dear. Only igbos do it.
lielbree:

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by aribisala0(m): 12:39pm On May 10, 2019
trapQ:
Exactly, only igbos do that. Infact in my place a woman retains 100% rights as a daughter of the soil even when married to someone from another tribe.

She will not denied anything that a man has access to just because she is married.
That is why their marriages are so costly because they are selling their daughters.

There was a case recently in the Supreme Court which I think overturns the practice and so their women may have better inheritance rights

1 Like

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Unconquerable: 12:44pm On May 10, 2019
thesicilian:

Not exactly. I think it's because I'm used to having intelligent people around me so it's always easy to communicate with them.
Lol. Remember what I said the first time: do not flatter yourself. Also, the ‘intelligence’ of the people you hang around does not reflect on you so either you need to change your crowd or vice versa. And while we are at it; if what I’ve read from you so far is your idea of being intelligent then I wonder...
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Sexina851(f): 12:49pm On May 10, 2019
eazylion001:
after paying high bride price and other bills of both the lady and her family, you still wanna give her the chance to choose which origin to claim.

I think they should start paying our groom price if they want such privilege.

So you see bride price as buying off a woman, no the parents will just dash off their child without any formal or traditional obligations
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by lookgoodingguy: 1:20pm On May 10, 2019
How about retaining one's father's name? I'm more interested in that.
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Sterope(f): 1:38pm On May 10, 2019
It can also be state of birth. Why should it be a choice? It can never and should never be the husband's.

trapQ:
Honestly they are all mad. Watched them about two weeks ago and was embarrassed at the rationale of our "supposed" decision makers.

1 Like

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Sterope(f): 1:42pm On May 10, 2019
I am sorry but you are quite stupid. A woman's origin does not change because she has a man. It had nothing to do with marriage. If you couldn't understand what thesicilian is conveying, you are legit stupid. Insecure prick!

Unconquerable:
Lol. Remember what I said the first time: do not flatter yourself. Also, the ‘intelligence’ of the people you hang around does not reflect on you so either you need to change your crowd or vice versa. And while we are at it; if what I’ve read from you so far is your idea of being intelligent then I wonder...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Must I Fall In Love Before I Marry? / Things That Cause Regret In Old Age / Family Of Four Die In Their Sleep After Inhaling Generator Fumes In Kogi (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.