Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,140 members, 7,835,821 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:29 PM

House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband (24508 Views)

Take Your Children To Their Father Or Else - Man Tells Wife (pic/video) / If there is only one meat in the pot, who should eat it? Father Or Children ? / Married Women, Do You Still Give Guys Your Contact? Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Unconquerable: 1:59pm On May 10, 2019
Sterope:
I am sorry but you are quite stupid. A woman's origin does not change because she has a man. It had nothing to do with marriage. If you couldn't understand what thesicilian is conveying, you are legit stupid. Insecure prick!

Come on, is this the best you can do? Throwing diatribes just to cover your disgusting, pathetic and retrogressive existence. I’m sure you’re not blind. I never said a woman’s origin changes because of marriage; you’re the purveyor of that. You said you’re sorry that I’m stupid: no, I’m not sorry to say you are stupid. Saying anything else will be hypocritical. Get a life. Dingbat.
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Sterope(f): 2:00pm On May 10, 2019
You are very stupid!

FYI, Oprah Winfrey is not single. She has a partner and they have been together for a very long time. Even if she were, how would it help your miserable existence?

Don’t flatter yourself: no woman, who really understands what marriage is would chose her father’s state of origin instead of her husband’s. A woman sure of her self and her place in life would willingly align with her husband. It is always the insecure ones that are eager to prove a point. Either a woman is married and act it or remain single like Oprah Winfrey.

Unconquerable:
Come on, is this the best you can do? Throwing diatribes just to cover your disgusting, pathetic and retrogressive existence. I’m sure you’re not blind. I never said a woman’s origin changes because of marriage; you’re the purveyor of that. You said you’re sorry that I’m stupid: no, I’m not sorry to say you are stupid. Saying anything else will be hypocritical. Get a life. Dingbat.

1 Like

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Majesticniyi(m): 2:09pm On May 10, 2019
SEGLIZ:

thank you for your clear understanding of this.
it is obvious most do know the reason for this law.
by default a woman under Nigerian system has no right what so ever from the husband state of origin.
for me my mum is deltan, my dad from ogun but my mum still sees herself as deltan due to the natural law and constitutional law of indigenization.
but with this law a Yoruba woman, an igbo woman and Hausa married to any other tribe of ethnic group is by default recognized as being part of her husband extraction.

I read all the previous comments and almost gave up on all the youths in Nigeria till I finally read your comment, we do still have intelligent Nigerians. I'm amazed the average Nairalander cant even comprehend such a straightforward news.

I'm not even concerned about the morality or political correctness of the move, just the inability of my fellow youths to comprehend the write up.
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Unconquerable: 2:26pm On May 10, 2019
Sterope:
You are very stupid!

FYI, Oprah Winfrey is not single. She has a partner and they have been together for a very long time. Even if she were, how would it help your miserable existence? Come on, now: Come on. Are you so dumb as not being able to assimilate simple information or is it that in your quest to boost your very low ego you’re in a hurry to post these drivel in order to appear smart? Did you even read the first post? It says a woman’s husband as in HUSBAND and not partner; nitwit. That someone has a partner or boyfriend for a long time means nothing. In any job application, or whatever, you’re either married, single, divorced or widowed: there is no slot for partner; wacko. Throw your pride away and be willing to learn: it’s free. I cited Oprah as an example and I am not interested in her private life. I’m only angry when low IQ people try to appear smart.

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by thesicilian: 2:47pm On May 10, 2019
Unconquerable:
Lol. Remember what I said the first time: do not flatter yourself. Also, the ‘intelligence’ of the people you hang around does not reflect on you so either you need to change your crowd or vice versa. And while we are at it; if what I’ve read from you so far is your idea of being intelligent then I wonder...
I'm sure you revel in the level of attention you are getting so far. It's unfortunate that's all I can give you for now.
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Unconquerable: 2:49pm On May 10, 2019
thesicilian:

I'm sure you revel in the level of attention you are getting so far. It's unfortunate that's all I can give you for now.
No, I don’t: I just have a strong hatred for ignorance.
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Sterope(f): 3:07pm On May 10, 2019
Too bad you are very stupid, you would understand that some people are choosing not to marry, that a partner will be considered when

[quote author=Unconquerable post=78272600][/quote]
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by AlhajaChinyere: 3:08pm On May 10, 2019
amaks:
I understand. It's so as to be able to give wives of politicians the ability to seek elective office in their husbands state. That's the hidden reason. Anyway all good, freedom of choice. We are all Nigerians. Advanced countries have even "abolished" state of origin "rights", good move but I don't think we're fully ready for that yet in Nigeria, the abolishing.

Omo Igbo, landless people. Go and develop your land first. Until then na state of origin.
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Sterope(f): 3:09pm On May 10, 2019
You are very stupid. Ever heard of domestic partnership? Apparently, it is not a new thing and Oprah Winfrey is not single. She has a partner.

[quote author=Unconquerable post=78272600][/quote]
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Unconquerable: 3:12pm On May 10, 2019
Sterope:
Too bad you are very stupid, you would understand that some people are choosing not to marry, that a partner will be considered when

I thought I am done with this slowpoke but here we are again. You can’t even complete your sentence! I told you before not to be in a hurry to exhibit your stupidity and brazen ineptitude. Check what you wrote: ...a partner will be considered when... When what? Wacko.
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Unconquerable: 3:19pm On May 10, 2019
Sterope:
You are very stupid. Ever heard of domestic partnership? Apparently, it is not a new thing and Oprah Winfrey is not single. She has a partner.

Clod. The only word you know is stupid because it is in your DNA. Show me any official document anywhere in the world, where someone states they are in a Domestic Partnership? The more you try to impress the more you advertise your daftness.
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by SEGLIZ: 3:35pm On May 10, 2019
Majesticniyi:

I read all the previous comments and almost gave up on all the youths in Nigeria till I finally read your comment, we do still have intelligent Nigerians. I'm amazed the average Nairalander cant even comprehend such a straightforward news.

I'm not even concerned about the morality or political correctness of the move, just the inability of my fellow youths to comprehend the write up.

thank you sir. visiting fb and nl will make run bp for Nigeria.
when the president said Nigerian youths are lazy little did anyone realise he meant mental laziness.
I really I appreciate your commendation, but permit me to say "NO BE O, NA GOD O."
we all have the deposit of WISDOM, KNOWLEDGE and UNDERSTANDING abundant in us but utilizing it remains another thing. today I like to say Nigeria is run a MENTAL DEFICIT on it human capacity and not a Reserve for the future. hence the need to overhaul educational system and school curriculum.
thanks.
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by sisqolino: 3:52pm On May 10, 2019
This is not right because women will now think they have the right to do anything in marriage.
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Sterope(f): 3:58pm On May 10, 2019
She cannot be part of her husband extraction and she should not be recognised as such. Other than politics, why else would we want to change the natural law.

SEGLIZ:

thank you for your clear understanding of this.
it is obvious most do know the reason for this law.
by default a woman under Nigerian system has no right what so ever from the husband state of origin.
for me my mum is deltan, my dad from ogun but my mum still sees herself as deltan due to the natural law and constitutional law of indigenization.
but with this law a Yoruba woman, an igbo woman and Hausa married to any other tribe of ethnic group is by default recognized as being part of her husband extraction.
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by lielbree: 4:04pm On May 10, 2019
trapQ:
Not common in the south my dear. Only igbos do it.
I'm from Rivers State. Kalabari and Ikwerre. It's very common. I'm into politics, I've seen it affect a lot of women. That just get intimidated, feel out of place and drop out of the election.

1 Like

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by sylve11: 4:45pm On May 10, 2019
Glorylynn:
Dis people does not even have shame,damn!! Like WTF!
We still have a lot of basic amenities lacking,so many things are still yet to be put in place,police are killing Nigerians all over the country but they won’t sit and talk about this serious issues,they only deliberate on the laws that will favour them and their children when they are no more in power.
I think we all should just forget about Naija politics and governance as a whole and focus on our lives,this country won’t work.

You don talk am finish. cool
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by OSUigboKiller: 4:50pm On May 10, 2019
Skyfornia:

Educate me sir...
Go back to school kid
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by AlphaT1(m): 4:53pm On May 10, 2019
DexterousOne:
This is a dumb law undecided

Ancestry is traced from your father's end

That is where every one originally is from

How then will you trace your ancestry to.your husband side because you are married to him undecided

What kind of foolish country is this bikonu undecided

Not so in all places..The Ijaws in Bayelsa and Delta States can claim indigeneship from their papa land or mama land or grandmama place or grandpapa place. For instance, the man is from Delta, the wife is from Bayelsa, the children can claim Bayelsa or Delta. ..Or the man is from Burutu LGA of Delta, the grandmama is from Bomadi LGA, the children can claim Bomadi if they like and contest election there and win.
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Anusiemgood(m): 4:58pm On May 10, 2019
This people has gone mad again
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by sylve11: 4:59pm On May 10, 2019
lielbree:

It's common in the entire south.

I don't know about the north. But this is a good decision by the na

Say what you know, oga. cool
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by sylve11: 4:59pm On May 10, 2019
lielbree:

It's common in the entire south.

I don't know about the north. But this is a good decision by the na

Say what you know, oga
cool
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by sylve11: 5:09pm On May 10, 2019
lielbree:

I'm from Rivers State. Kalabari and Ikwerre. It's very common. I'm into politics, I've seen it affect a lot of women. That just get intimidated, feel out of place and drop out of the election.

So Kalabari and Ikwerre now translates to the entire south south? cool
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Omofranca(f): 5:15pm On May 10, 2019
Skyfornia:
Lol...if this is true, then a lot of women should be ready to marry themselves or start paying groom price. Inukwa!!

hmmm! dicey decision; your father will always remain your father but your husband...? ladies, think well o 'cos this seemingly attractive option may later cause you unforeseen problems!
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Lovelyn451(f): 5:23pm On May 10, 2019
Mtchew...y didn't they include mother's origin too, cos na that one I go choose, I love my maternal home#ikwunne smiley
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by LilMissFavvy(f): 6:19pm On May 10, 2019
Oh my God, this is good news. Am happy to hear this.
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by LilMissFavvy(f): 6:32pm On May 10, 2019
Ah.....it's not that easy o. You are just lucky to come from a culture which permits such. In my culture we don't practice it. When you are married off as a woman, you then claim your hubby's village and LGA. But with this new law, women are now free, starting from me. I can now retain my LGA.
Marthaodion:

Don’t mind them. Most persons already practice this. My mother claims her father’s village and LGA. Though I’m married, I currently claim my dad’s village and LGA.
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Amanda4life: 7:13pm On May 10, 2019
eazylion001:
after paying high bride price and other bills of both the lady and her family, you still wanna give her the chance to choose which origin to claim.

I think they should start paying our groom price if they want such privilege.

Yes if u maltreat me i will claim my papa origin
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by SEGLIZ: 7:19pm On May 10, 2019
Sterope:
She cannot be part of her husband extraction and she should not be recognised as such. Other than politics, why else would we want to change the natural law.

even the natural law gives the entitlement to a woman but the son of men changed rules out of greed.
if we call for civilization and nudity is claimed as civility then this should be a welcome development in terms of civilization.
there is nothing political in here and it at all a good one at that. this only position the woman folk in way of decent, inheritance, claims etc in an unfamiliar and unfriendly territory.
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by DexterousOne(m): 7:29pm On May 10, 2019
AlphaT1:

Not so in all places..The Ijaws in Bayelsa and Delta States can claim indigeneship from their papa land or mama land or grandmama place or grandpapa place. For instance, the man is from Delta, the wife is from Bayelsa, the children can claim Bayelsa or Delta. ..Or the man is from Burutu LGA of Delta, the grandmama is from Bomadi LGA, the children can claim Bomadi if they like and contest election there and win.

That is also fine
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Sterope(f): 7:30pm On May 10, 2019
I still cannot seem to figure out the advantages of choosing someone's fathers origin above your own father's because of marriage. This whole thing make it sound like marriage equals lose your identity. Her state of origin is her father's. It is a different ball game from inheritance.

SEGLIZ:

even the natural law gives the entitlement to a woman but the son of men changed rules out of greed.
if we call for civilization and nudity is claimed as civility then this should be a welcome development in terms of civilization.
there is nothing political in here and it at all a good one at that. this only position the woman folk in way of decent, inheritance, claims etc in an unfamiliar and unfriendly territory.
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by SEGLIZ: 7:42pm On May 10, 2019
Sterope:
I still cannot seem to figure out the advantages of choosing someone's fathers origin above your own father's because of marriage. This whole thing make it sound like marriage equals lose your identity. Her state of origin is her father's. It is a different ball game from inheritance.

this is a double edge advantage for the women folks.
I don't understand what you mean marriage, I don't know what marriage means to you, i don't know how you will define it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Must I Fall In Love Before I Marry? / Things That Cause Regret In Old Age / Family Of Four Die In Their Sleep After Inhaling Generator Fumes In Kogi (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.