Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,105 members, 7,835,735 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:06 PM

House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband (24507 Views)

Take Your Children To Their Father Or Else - Man Tells Wife (pic/video) / If there is only one meat in the pot, who should eat it? Father Or Children ? / Married Women, Do You Still Give Guys Your Contact? Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Nobody: 9:39am On May 10, 2019
Skyfornia:
Lol...if this is true, then a lot of women should be ready to marry themselves or start paying groom price. Inukwa!!
You don't the logic, many married women will easily claim their husband's state of origin to seek political position. That clause has hindereds many from contesting political position(/husband's state) in the past but now that it is amended, they now have legal right

1 Like

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by dessymal(m): 9:40am On May 10, 2019
They should even choose a new surname too. grin
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by jeff1607(m): 9:40am On May 10, 2019
Skyfornia:
Lol...if this is true, then a lot of women should be ready to marry themselves or start paying groom price. Inukwa!!

what of those already married
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Nobody: 9:42am On May 10, 2019
Damn and here I was thinking the p!mp hand is strong in Naija not knowing that as the rest of the world is slowly waking up to the damage that feminism has caused, my Naija is becoming woke
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Nobody: 9:42am On May 10, 2019
Nothing wrong with the bill. Next should be scraping of bride price.

5 Likes

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by AntiWailer: 9:42am On May 10, 2019
Should there be origin crap in the first place ?
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Skyfornia(m): 9:43am On May 10, 2019
jeff1607:

what of those already married

They will return their bride price...hahahaha
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by egojeny1(f): 9:44am On May 10, 2019
Very good

1 Like

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Skyfornia(m): 9:44am On May 10, 2019
asuustrike1:

You don't the logic, many married women will easily claim their husband's state of origin to seek political position. That clause has hidden many from contesting political position in the past but now that it is amended, they now have legal right

Is that it? Lols.
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Nobody: 9:47am On May 10, 2019
Skyfornia:

Is that it? Lols.
That is it infact that is the main reason many of them were lobbying those senators. Most of the bills passed by our senators favours the elite more than the poor
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by djbussy(m): 9:49am On May 10, 2019
This will increase Fornication in this country. Well, some of this people giving the laws must have been sampling some private property in hands of one "M U M U" called sweetheart.
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by cluewebhost(m): 9:49am On May 10, 2019
Men nko
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Skyfornia(m): 9:50am On May 10, 2019
asuustrike1:

That is it infact that is the main reason many of them were lobbying those senators. Most of the bills passed by our senators favours the elite more than the poor

So they can't seek political position if they are claiming paternal origin?
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Nobody: 9:52am On May 10, 2019
Skyfornia:

So they can't seek political position if they are claiming paternal origin?
Contesting for a position in their husband's state
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by eyinjuege: 9:55am On May 10, 2019
What of married men please? Cant they choose the indigeneship (by marriage) of their wives?

2 Likes

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by jude33084(m): 9:57am On May 10, 2019
undecided
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Christmasdon(m): 9:57am On May 10, 2019
The consequency for this will certainly create confusions.
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by chiroyale(f): 10:00am On May 10, 2019
Misplaced priorities..
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Shaev7(m): 10:01am On May 10, 2019
Crystal clear! What is the point preaching one Nigeria, can't some of us see it now in reality? Rubbish country...
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Sterope(f): 10:04am On May 10, 2019
Mad people. cheesy

A lady state of origin can be either her father's or mother's, not someone else's.

3 Likes

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Unconquerable: 10:11am On May 10, 2019
thesicilian:
It's a very welcome progressive development, and has nothing to do with surname, feminism or submission to the husband. I guess most of the men boys here are feeling threatened because they don't really understand it.
Don’t flatter yourself: no woman, who really understands what marriage is would chose her father’s state of origin instead of her husband’s. A woman sure of her self and her place in life would willingly align with her husband. It is always the insecure ones that are eager to prove a point. Either a woman is married and act it or remain single like Oprah Winfrey.

1 Like

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by kilokeys(m): 10:14am On May 10, 2019
then the kids?
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by OdefaGirl(f): 10:14am On May 10, 2019
But I think that there are better policies that needs urgent attention for amendments, why this one? Going to stay in my father's house, not a problem especially when there are justifiable reasons for that and as long as I don't become a nuisance to them. So what's the big deal?

1 Like

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Freddyw(m): 10:16am On May 10, 2019
frowland:

You need to understand the reason for that law before making this type of comment. Thanks.
I eud love to know the reason for this before commenting. Can u explain better to me pls? Thanks
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by amaks: 10:29am On May 10, 2019
I understand. It's so as to be able to give wives of politicians the ability to seek elective office in their husbands state. That's the hidden reason. Anyway all good, freedom of choice. We are all Nigerians. Advanced countries have even "abolished" state of origin "rights", good move but I don't think we're fully ready for that yet in Nigeria, the abolishing.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Hokage123: 10:39am On May 10, 2019
Can men also do the same thing. Choose also the wife origin if he wants?.

That will be the real Equality
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by SEGLIZ: 10:47am On May 10, 2019
thesicilian:
It's a very welcome progressive development, and has nothing to do with surname, feminism or submission to the husband. I guess most of the men boys here are feeling threatened because they don't really understand it.

thank you for your clear understanding of this.
it is obvious most do know the reason for this law.
by default a woman under Nigerian system has no right what so ever from the husband state of origin.
for me my mum is deltan, my dad from ogun but my mum still sees herself as deltan due to the natural law and constitutional law of indigenization.
but with this law a Yoruba woman, an igbo woman and Hausa married to any other tribe of ethnic group is by default recognized as being part of her husband extraction.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Marthaodion(f): 10:49am On May 10, 2019
lastempero:
Them no go pass better bill that will put Nigeria on the right track, na jonsing Bills that will not take us to anywhere. Unbundle the useless law bounding power generation and distribution they wont do that.

Don’t mind them. Most persons already practice this. My mother claims her father’s village and LGA. Though I’m married, I currently claim my dad’s village and LGA.

1 Like

Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by aribisala0(m): 10:50am On May 10, 2019
It is a stupid law that is not well thought out .

Whatever law is made should not undermine the equality of women

Why should their state of origin be the state of their father. Why not the state of their mother

That is not progressive and is actually anti-women.

Equally it should apply to men. If a woman can claim state of origin of husbands then husbands should be able to claim state of origin of wives. So they have only thought about it superficially.

What they are saying is women are not equal to men.

The spirit behind the law is good but the details are wrong.
Also if the claim is to be by marriage it should include a residency clause. eg live in the state for 3 years.

For parents it should be automatic mother and father and that would go a long way to fostering national unity

Finally this is a constitutional matter and not something that can be effectively dealt with by a House of Reps bill because the constitution
Re: House Of Rep' Married Women Can Now Choose Their Origin From Father Or Husband by Burgerlomo: 11:01am On May 10, 2019
Skyfornia:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Must I Fall In Love Before I Marry? / Things That Cause Regret In Old Age / Family Of Four Die In Their Sleep After Inhaling Generator Fumes In Kogi (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.